April 16, 2014 | 1403 users online

Sunscreen - Clinique - Super City Block SPF 25

rated 2 of 5 on 3/29/2013 7:49:00 PM More reviews by berrycurious

I wanted to love this, but it kept rolling into little balls all over my face, no matter how I applied it.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/19/2013 12:19:00 PM More reviews by estellanutella

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

This was REALLY greasy and thick and made me break out because it's very hard to remove completely. I didn't stop breaking out until I started doing the Korean double wash after every application (literally 2 washes: deep cleansing wash/mask, then lighter wash). The woman who sold it to me said it would make a good primer under foundation and um no, it doesn't, because aside from being greasy and thick, it's TINTED in one shade and may or may not match your skin tone. It made me look like a ghost of myself! haha? No.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2013 9:38:00 PM More reviews by Palmer54

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This SPF face cream is by far the best I've ever tried. I have extremely oily skin and have had the worst luck finding a face cream with a high enough SPF to actually ward off the sun's rays (SPF 15 is laughable nowadays). This particular SPF face cream is a non-chemical sunscreen so it literally sits on top of your skin BUT it blends nicely and it never feels as if I'm wearing a heavy sunscreen mask. There's a light tint to cover the whiteness of the SPF and I find that it's enough colour to act as a light foundation for my pale, freckled skin (I don't like wearing a lot of products on my face). If I apply it and nothing else, my skin is definitely shiny but I always wear a powder on top to mattify and smooth my face. It's oil-free so it never melts or cakes on my face, even during extremely humid summers. It's also a great moisturiser for my oily skin - the Clinique people will tell you it's not a moisturiser but there are moisturising ingredients in this and if you have oily/combo skin, you definitely do not need to wear a regular moisturiser underneath. I wear this everyday and it's easy to remove at night b/c it does not get absorbed into your skin. I would highly recommend this product for those who want great everyday SPF protection plus tint for some coverage. The tube also lasts a long time too - I'm into month 7 using one tube and it's finally running out! It's totally worth the $23 CDN and I have already purchased my second tube!!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/14/2013 8:44:00 PM More reviews by seannetta

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've been using this for years. My moisturizer doesn't have an SPF, so sunscreen is imperative for me, and I like that this one doesn't cause breakouts, has a tint that gives a nice glow, glides on easily, and acts as a nice primer for my liquid foundation or concealer. I wouldn't go so far as to call the finish "greasy", but "shiny" is definitely accurate. Since I'm putting on makeup and powder after this anyway, this fact doesn't bother me.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/3/2013 5:58:00 PM More reviews by Lyn2204

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I've been using this sunblock for 2 years now and I love it. It is a bit greasy which works perfectly for my dry skin. I used it under my moisturiser and sometimes I mixed it with my benetint which gives me a glowy effect. The downside of this product is it wont give any coverage to any imperfections but other than that, it is all good

rated 2 of 5 on 1/18/2013 6:46:00 AM More reviews by Misirlou1982

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

In my search for "the holy mineral sunscreen" I'm always looking for one that a/doesn't irritate my sensitive skin, b/doesn't make me look like a ghost and C/isn't sticky and greasy. Because of the good rates on beautypedia I decided to give this one a try.So what do I think about it?

First of all there's the color... A slightly tinted sunscreen: great idea, the only problem is that they only offer like 1 shade and I can imagine that this is the reason why a lot of people don't like....Like me... I'm a NC20 and I find this sunscreen slightly to dark for me. I do like that it evens out my skin tone, but it's just to yellow/orangy for me. I have also noiticed that it tends to oxidize during the day :(

Second: this is not the ideal sunscreen for you if you have oily skin. I can use this when it's getting colder and my skin is getting slightly drier, but in summertime my skin is way to oily for this one. Not very attractive. Tried to put some powder on top of it, but omg, that was...not...a...good...idea. So i also must conclude that:

This is also not great as a primer/makeup base for when u like to use powder foundation. It's just to sticky: you can't spread your powder foundation evenly, so it looks all blotchy . Haven't tried it with a liquid foundation though,so I can't say how it will perform with that type. But for my combination skin, I'm afraid it will be a greasy mess.

Last but not least: did it irritate my skin? Well, it didn't itch of sting, or aggravate my rosacea, so that was good. The only thing i've noticed is that every time use this it give's me pimples. Even after just one day. It just clogs my pores. I've tried this a few times, with some weeks in between, just to be sure it wasn't something else.. But everytime, when I clean my face in the evening, there they are: some extra bumps :( So that's the main reason that it is a no no for me.

So to conclude: is it a bad sunscreen? Well, if you have a normal to slightly dry skin, if you aren't acne-prone and not very or extreme pale and you have a perfect skin that doesn't need a lot of coverage, but just some kind of tinted moisturizer with SPF...Then I would give this one a try.

If you're an NC15 and/or have an oily, acne prone, skin...Leave it!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/19/2012 10:28:00 AM More reviews by scruffmuffin8u

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I use this every morning on my face, neck and eyes. It's great for sensitive skin like mine. However, it is greasy! It leaves a sheen on my face that only disappears after I have applied my powder foundation. My acne prone skin hasnít broken out from this and I don't seem to get more oily during the day. My skin is pretty much normal, but my T-Zone tends to get oilier than my cheeks (Combination maybe?) Anyways, even though I don't like the way this feels, it works and I feel better having it on knowing it's protecting my fair skin from the suns again rays. This is a moisturizer, it has moisturizing ingredients even though the ladies at Clinique would have you think otherwise, so unless you have dry skin you can use this exclusively. This product lasts a long time even though I use a good mutant large pea size every morning!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2012 9:20:00 AM More reviews by Rosallie

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Love this as much as I love Redness Solutions...I use the whole line of Clinique Redness Solutions and for the days I want a natural look I use my 3 step skin care(Redness Solutions) and then apply City Block and I am ready for a day in the sun. Carry City Block with you and apply every two hours. You will be glad you did and your face will love you;-)

rated 4 of 5 on 10/11/2012 12:58:00 AM More reviews by LaughingKitten

I don't really know what to say about this product....well i've been using it on and off and have bought 4 tubes of it by far....i remember when i first started using it(which was about 5 years ago) i didn't like it that much as i didn't use any make up back then...and it just felt a bit greesy even if it claims that it's oil free, i guess all sunblock products will have the same effect no matter how light and non-greasy they claim themselves to be.

Only untill last year when i finish a primer, i've decided to try this one out again as the previous primer that i used didnt have SPF in it and i had to apply sunscreen before i put that primer on..anyway so i decided to go for this product again given that it's a primer, a sunscreen and it blocks environmental harmness, and it's gentle. I can't say that i can see a dramatic effect it does to my skin but i guess sometimes you just need something that you feel safe to use a long way. It doesnt cause any breakouts, very gentle on the skin, and i havent had any bad experience with it at all, so i'd say it is a safe product for daily use.

Not too expensive given the fact that it's got 40ml in a tube and it does last a fairly long time. It has a light tint in it which to be honest i would prefer it not to have, but it doesn't bother me too much as i apply foundation on top of it anyway...

So yeah, i would purchase it again for all the reasons listed above plus i havent seen any other products within the same price range that i would like to give such a long term commitment to.....

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2012 9:23:00 PM More reviews by melinda_

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

Okay, I used to use the City Block 15 that was DC'd so I'm checking their new version and hoping it was the same.

But it's NOT. Le sigh.

Came across this tidbit when I was looking into it:

"The ingredient of concern is angelica archangelica root oil. According to our investigation this ingredient may have some antioxidant ability but it contains photosensitive constituents that increase the chances of UV-radiation caused damage. It is puzzling why Clinique would put a light-sensitive ingredient in a sun protection"

So much for it being oil free too.
So basically it can cause damage that I'm trying to avoid. Umm..no thanks. Wanted to post this so others know they may be getting more sun damage from this product.

The search continues for me.