April 17, 2014 | 1510 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Philosophy - time on your hands

rated 4 of 5 on 10/17/2006 5:24:00 PM More reviews by dirtee714

This is my overnight staple hand lotion. I wash my hands multiple times with industrial soap at work. My hands were starting to look "weathered". I started using this lotion about a year ago, and skin feels great and looks healthy. Did not give 5 lippies because of scent. It smells awful, kinda of chemical or medical. However, it works great for me, and I continue to repurchase!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2006 7:42:00 PM More reviews by comeondown

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Great nighttime treatment, but I'm not sure that a cheaper product couldn't deliver the same results. Here's my breakdown: ~35 thick two full-hand applications. $18.50/35 = 52 cents per application. Could be worth it in the winter if your hands are like mine and crack and bleed without TLC. Also perhaps worth it as a pampering gift for a loved one!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2006 4:22:00 PM More reviews by tracita

I'm surprised by all the bad reviews on this hand cream. I've been using it for almost two years and I'm quite pleased with it. I think my hands look nice and smooth and young (I'm 35). I do agree it's thick and heavy therefore I only use it at bedtime (it IS stated as a P.M. treatment right on the tube) and I do generally pull on a pair of cotton gloves after application. I guess if wearing gloves to bed is not your idea of a fun-filled night, then you should steer clear of this. I try to use it every other night...if I use it more frequently, my dermatitis tends to act up (I think the glycolic acid irritates it). I like what it does for the rough spots on my feet but socks are a must if you go that route. I don't mind the smell but one thing I have noticed is it stings like f**k if you happen to apply it on a wound such as a paper cut...OUCH!! Other than that, it's all good for me although I do wish the retail price was lower.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/3/2006 6:04:00 PM More reviews by makeupreview

Heavy, greasy and smells bad. It does soften, but that's a lot to get past for soft skin. I much prefer Smith's Rosebud Salve for hand softening.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/7/2005 4:50:00 PM More reviews by jackieks

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This hand cream does not sink in for a long time, possibly an hour or so after I apply it, but in the morning my hands are heavenly soft. It softens my cuticles and hands very nicely. I do not keep it at the sink or in my purse... I use it only at night, last thing before I go to sleep. You would not want to use this and then read, for example, unless you want fingerprints all over your book! As far as the scent goes, I have never been bothered by the fragrance. Mine smells faintly floral. It must depend on the batch of hand cream, which is a bit odd. :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/6/2005 10:27:00 AM More reviews by KatieLynn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This product is a tough one for me to review. It's a great product if: (1) you can get past the medicinal smell and (2) you don't have to touch anything or do anything with your hands for a good hour after you apply it. I realize its a "hand cream", not a "lotion", so I guess I shouldn't really expect it to sink in immediately. When I use it, I apply it in bed after I've completed the rest of my nighttime ritual. That way it can sink on overnight & I'm not too bothered by it. When I do this, it *does* work well, but it's generally such a hassle that I forget it or don't even feel like bothering.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/7/2005 9:12:00 AM More reviews by laineypsu

I hate this stuff. I was wondering what all the buzz was about so I bought a kit to try a bunch of philosophy products and have been wholly unimpressed by almost all of it. Now I wonder even more, though some of the shower products are nice. Anyway, this cream was the worst of the bunch. It didn't make my hands look any better. It just made them extremely greasy. Seriously the stuff just lays on top of your skin so I wouldn't use it in the morning, as suggested on the package. In fact I wouldn't use it at all and will probably just toss the rest out. And yes, the smell is awful. In conclusion, ineffective, greasy, smelly, and expensive.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/27/2005 10:04:00 AM More reviews by melmelby

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Not to be applied if you want a fragrance booster! The medicinal smell doesn't bother me. I kind of like the ozone nuance it has. Meant to be used as an overnight treatment, but I use it all day. For the price and quantity, I prefer Vanicream. Not a treatment but moisturizer. Cheap and feels great!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/17/2005 10:36:00 PM More reviews by meltywarhol

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I gave this the lowest rating because after patiently using up the tube and expecting a miracle, my hands are in worse shape than they were before I started it. Given, I can be hard on my hands with gardening and all, but I was using Burt's Bees banana hand cream before I switched to this and now my hands are drier, with some peeling and my cuticles are crustier and more hangnail-prone. I also agree that it doesn't smell good, which is weird since philosophy puts out so many yummy-smelling things. I like to use a lotion at night with a soothing smell, and this is not soothing.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2005 7:22:00 PM More reviews by jostrows

Very thick weird consistency and medicine smell. Not something I would use. I got it as a gift and am probably throwing it out.