December 22, 2014 | 1875 users online

Eyeliner - Laura Mercier - Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Black Ebony

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2012 7:12:00 PM More reviews by swtlilqtk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought this in a set. It contained the black, brown and plum tightline shades, a eyeliner brush and a mascara. It was around $60 I believe so a great deal. I was pressured into buying the activator too but I used it once and returned it based off others telling me water works just as well. The one liner I DID use the activator on though, has a hard spot that needed to be scraped away on it, so I believe once you use the activator it makes it hard to use water afterwards. Anyways, I find it hard to get the "just right" consistency with this product. If you get it too wet its runny and not pigmented. Not wet enough, too hard to apply....so you have to figure out the just right amount of wetness on your brush to make this product apply correctly. Even then, to me, it's just "meh". The staying power is okay and the end result isn't anymore amazing than any other gel liner I've ever used. I actually use this mostly to set over my liquid liner or to smudge out pencil liner. I do like it for those purposes, but used wet I find it underwhelming. It's just too much work for okay results. I will continue to use to set or smudge though, as I find it useful and worthwhile for that purpose, hence my rating.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2012 7:52:00 PM More reviews by suzi39

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I just started tightlining and this product works very well. I previously tried both Maybelline's gel liner and Revlon's Colorstay pencil. They both transferred onto my lower waterline and smudged. So far, the LM cake liner hasn't transferred at all! :) .

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2012 10:16:00 PM More reviews by kawanii

I really really REALLY hoped that this product worked for me. I bought and used it WITH the tightline activator that it apparently works best with.

It did NOT work for me AT ALL.

I had such high expectations for this eyeliner but once I applied it using the tightlining method, it smudges IMMEDIATELY on the bottom of my eyes and lashes which irritated me so bad. The consistency was so thin that I absolutely hated it because even blinking would mess up the application for me. I used Mac's slanted eyeliner brush and it just did not work for me. I needed something thicker. This was such a disappointment for me. By the end of the day, half of it was already gone. Staying power is mediocre, I guess.

I'm still on the search for my perfect tightlining eyeliner...=[

rated 2 of 5 on 5/23/2012 2:31:00 PM More reviews by Charlin

A lovely rich black colour and fun to use. You apply with a damp brush- I got the Laura Mercier tightlining brush and it does a good job, looks great, BUT, it smudges in seconds. The slightest bit of moisture and it's panda eyes time. Would definitely not recommend this if you are prone to smudges. Really gutted as it looks great when you first put it on. I threw mine out.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2012 10:36:00 AM More reviews by kbabyd

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This eyeliner is pretty fantastic. I use it with water only (not the tightline activator) and while I sometimes have to do slight cleanup under my eye right after application (and that's likely because of me, not the product), it truly does not move once set. The pigment is really fantastic - a true deep black. There was a tiny learning curve for me in terms of how much water to use, and there is a tipping point for sure. But other than that, this is great. I much prefer this for tight-lining over bobbi brown's gel eyeliners. The gel eyeliners were not as long lasting for tight-lining (great for regular lining).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2012 11:32:00 AM More reviews by maliciousdelicious

This is a great product and really turned me on to applying eyeliner with a pot and brush rather than an all-in-one product.

The consistency is quite thin so it's easy to apply compared to the Clinique gel eyeliner which is quite clumpy. However, the cake cracks easily and things go downhill from there.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2012 1:09:00 AM More reviews by merrysunny77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Love Love this. I bought this specifically for tightlining..so I can only speak to that. I bought in the LE shade Ground Espresso which is THE perfect matte dark chocolate/brown meets black non red brown. If I was ever going to run out of (never) would buy a backup guess I could buy in black too if I wanted to but I think the brown is fine. I can't believe this isn't the brown that's in the perm line...

I have only used it a few times but I actually dont think it takes anytime at all or is any fuss. This plus some black mascara ...2 minutes my eyes are transformed and I look put together but not made up. If I wanted extra drama I guess I could put on the lower lash line as well..

My makeup routine day 2 day is 5 minutes tops and I can easily fit this in. I used the Trish McVoy 11 since I happen to have it sitting around..glad it's getting used! For my purposes it works fine. (Update - I got my hands on the LM brush and now its even easier to apply)

I got this on clearance for under 10 bucks, it will last forever, and it comes in a high quality compact with a mirror! I basically am always putting on makeup on the go...

It's rare that after 20 years of wearing makeup you find a game changer. I am Indian and this cake liner/kajal is the stuff my women have worn for years. It looks so great on dark eyes ( and I am sure any eyes)..I am so glad this has come back into fashion and now with nicely packaged products...

Also - I dont use the activator or even visine. I just use plain water. This stays through my hot yoga classes. I only use it on my upper tightline - and I does not budge all day no matter what.

Update: Been using daily for a month - and still LOVE. Trying not to get lazy and go back to my mascara only eye routine..I love that you can line your eyes with this - but it doesn't make you e/l look shorter like upper dark liners do. LOVE

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2012 5:23:00 PM More reviews by 3110hello

I bought this thinking that it would be longer lasting on my lash line and water line than other pencils/products, however, I did not find that to be the case. The liner was somewhat difficult to work with and the length of time it stayed on my eyes was just average. Not sure this is up to usual LM standards. I usually think their products are better than most. Not so much this.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2012 5:04:00 PM More reviews by purplepan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this product!

I have been a long time fan of the tight lining technique but this cake has, indeed, taken the cake. I get fantastic coverage after I tight line and I virtually have no gap between my eyeliner now. I love the way it looks. I have never used this alone as my sole eyeliner, but I bet it's awesome.

I haven't been able to find the activator at any sephora.. And I'm sad about that because I think it would solve all the problems I have with this. The only issue I have is that I have ver sensitive eyes and they are watery, and frequently after tight line the color will run a bit and stain my bottom lash line and that stinks a bit. I have been using eye drop solution to activate the cake and it works pretty fine and dandy. I didn't buy the special brush, I just use any old angled brush and it works just find. I've also used the Mac 110 fine eyeliner brush with it and it also works fine.

Again, I love this and will continue to buy it in the future.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/30/2012 5:17:00 AM More reviews by lucretiabrgia

Takes too much work - I was told that I need the special LM brush (got it), that when adding water I need to get the consistency right (tried it), that to aply I need to look down in the mirror and not blink (managed that).

And after all the effort it runs and flakes!

Waste of money.