Laura Mercier Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Black Ebony

4.3

on 1/3/2013 10:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Unfortunately this product smudges after a few hours. If it hadn't I would surely purchase again. It does create a dark intense color between my eyelashes which liquid eyeliners and Too Faced 3 Way Liner couldn't achieve. I really loved the look after using it but just not happy that it smudges. Some other reviewers says it doesn't smudge for them, even though I used a primer too, it didn't help much. I even bought the activator thinking that it would help with the staying power instead of using just water.

on 12/23/2012 8:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I am surprised to read such good reviews about this product. I purchased the cake liner to use for both tighlining and as eyeliner, along with LM tighliner brush. The salesperson at the counter did a good job of application. My lids are oily, and I use a primer. This liner smudges like hell for both tighlining and as eyeliner. The inner corners of my eyes smudge mid-day when I use it as an eyeliner, and the tighliner barely stays on. This is a terrible products and has zero staying power, ridiculously expensive for what it does. I tried using a little water and a lot of water, nothing helps. I went out and purchased YSL cream liner instead, it has an amazing staying power, doesn't come off even when I sleep! But my LM cake liner cost $$$ and is such a waste. I do not recommend this product.

on 11/20/2012 3:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This was used when I had my eye makeup done at the counter, the sales assistant was really helpful and suggested this with the baked eye shadows about 18 mos ago. Since then I've moved on from the eyeshadows (returned to a darker eye that I prefer) but stuck with this eyeliner. I've tried Clarins nifty pen with the three points and Bobbi Brown's gel as well as MAC's fluidline (all in black) to try and top this as I'm not keen on the faffing about with the water and getting the right consistency. That said it beats all the others hands down. There is so much pure black pigment in this that I really feel it makes the others appear grey when you are used to LMs version. This pure black pigment really makes the whites of your eyes pop and look clear. The texture and tightlining technique also give such a lovely natural look which the others can't replicate.

on 8/30/2012 7:12:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

I bought this in a set. It contained the black, brown and plum tightline shades, a eyeliner brush and a mascara. It was around $60 I believe so a great deal. I was pressured into buying the activator too but I used it once and returned it based off others telling me water works just as well. The one liner I DID use the activator on though, has a hard spot that needed to be scraped away on it, so I believe once you use the activator it makes it hard to use water afterwards. Anyways, I find it hard to get the "just right" consistency with this product. If you get it too wet its runny and not pigmented. Not wet enough, too hard to apply....so you have to figure out the just right amount of wetness on your brush to make this product apply correctly. Even then, to me, it's just "meh". The staying power is okay and the end result isn't anymore amazing than any other gel liner I've ever used. I actually use this mostly to set over my liquid liner or to smudge out pencil liner. I do like it for those purposes, but used wet I find it underwhelming. It's just too much work for okay results. I will continue to use to set or smudge though, as I find it useful and worthwhile for that purpose, hence my rating.

on 7/25/2012 7:52:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I just started tightlining and this product works very well. I previously tried both Maybelline's gel liner and Revlon's Colorstay pencil. They both transferred onto my lower waterline and smudged. So far, the LM cake liner hasn't transferred at all! :) .

on 7/2/2012 10:16:00 PM

I really really REALLY hoped that this product worked for me. I bought and used it WITH the tightline activator that it apparently works best with.

It did NOT work for me AT ALL.

I had such high expectations for this eyeliner but once I applied it using the tightlining method, it smudges IMMEDIATELY on the bottom of my eyes and lashes which irritated me so bad. The consistency was so thin that I absolutely hated it because even blinking would mess up the application for me. I used Mac's slanted eyeliner brush and it just did not work for me. I needed something thicker. This was such a disappointment for me. By the end of the day, half of it was already gone. Staying power is mediocre, I guess.

I'm still on the search for my perfect tightlining eyeliner...=[

on 5/23/2012 2:31:00 PM

A lovely rich black colour and fun to use. You apply with a damp brush- I got the Laura Mercier tightlining brush and it does a good job, looks great, BUT, it smudges in seconds. The slightest bit of moisture and it's panda eyes time. Would definitely not recommend this if you are prone to smudges. Really gutted as it looks great when you first put it on. I threw mine out.

on 5/23/2012 10:36:00 AM

This eyeliner is pretty fantastic. I use it with water only (not the tightline activator) and while I sometimes have to do slight cleanup under my eye right after application (and that's likely because of me, not the product), it truly does not move once set. The pigment is really fantastic - a true deep black. There was a tiny learning curve for me in terms of how much water to use, and there is a tipping point for sure. But other than that, this is great. I much prefer this for tight-lining over bobbi brown's gel eyeliners. The gel eyeliners were not as long lasting for tight-lining (great for regular lining).

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

This is a great product and really turned me on to applying eyeliner with a pot and brush rather than an all-in-one product.

The consistency is quite thin so it's easy to apply compared to the Clinique gel eyeliner which is quite clumpy. However, the cake cracks easily and things go downhill from there.

on 2/17/2012 1:09:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Love Love this. I bought this specifically for tightlining..so I can only speak to that. I bought in the LE shade Ground Espresso which is THE perfect matte dark chocolate/brown meets black non red brown. If I was ever going to run out of (never) would buy a backup guess I could buy in black too if I wanted to but I think the brown is fine. I can't believe this isn't the brown that's in the perm line...

I have only used it a few times but I actually dont think it takes anytime at all or is any fuss. This plus some black mascara ...2 minutes my eyes are transformed and I look put together but not made up. If I wanted extra drama I guess I could put on the lower lash line as well..

My makeup routine day 2 day is 5 minutes tops and I can easily fit this in. I used the Trish McVoy 11 since I happen to have it sitting around..glad it's getting used! For my purposes it works fine. (Update - I got my hands on the LM brush and now its even easier to apply)

I got this on clearance for under 10 bucks, it will last forever, and it comes in a high quality compact with a mirror! I basically am always putting on makeup on the go...

It's rare that after 20 years of wearing makeup you find a game changer. I am Indian and this cake liner/kajal is the stuff my women have worn for years. It looks so great on dark eyes ( and I am sure any eyes)..I am so glad this has come back into fashion and now with nicely packaged products...

Also - I dont use the activator or even visine. I just use plain water. This stays through my hot yoga classes. I only use it on my upper tightline - and I does not budge all day no matter what.

Update: Been using daily for a month - and still LOVE. Trying not to get lazy and go back to my mascara only eye routine..I love that you can line your eyes with this - but it doesn't make you e/l look shorter like upper dark liners do. LOVE