April 18, 2014 | 1782 users online

Fragrances - Revlon - Jean Nate After Bath Splash original scent

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2009 3:21:00 PM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Growing up, my mom always had a bottle of Jean Nate splash or spray around the house. Back then it was a citrusy scent. I don;t know how the formulation is today and frankly, I don;t see it much any more. But it brings back some nice memories for me.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2009 7:38:00 PM More reviews by sunshine824

I was on a citrus bender for a while and decided to try Jean Nate after reading that it was citrussy and refreshing.

Maybe I got a bad bottle,but this is very lemony initially, then there's a bit of bergamot and something else that gives it a masculine edge. After about 10 minutes it's cheap plastic dolly, still in a horrible plastic wrapper that smells so strong it gives me a headache, mixed with cheap men's cologne. Headache, headache, headache.

It's one of the few things I've ever just poured out and thrown the empty bottle in the trash.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/13/2009 3:27:00 PM More reviews by allureveil

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

When Charles of the Ritz made Jean Nate After Bath Splash (called a lotion, but not) it was a beautiful fragrance. But beware! It is now reformulated and sold by Revlon and is just such an indescribable stench in a bottle it is a crime they call it Jean Nate. Major disappointment. The negative ratings of what used to be a glorious fragrance are right on, unfortunately for those of us who long for the original product.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/23/2009 10:42:00 PM More reviews by truffle_me

I love the sunny yellow retro packaging of Jean Nate, and the fact that it is not a proper perfume, but an "after bath splash." I love its tendencies to come in gigantic 30oz old-lady bottles with a black plastic ball for a cap. It doesn't smell like actual lemons so much as a trompe l'oeil of a lemon's freshness created with bright florals and a healthy dose of lavender. This lets Jean Nate be as cheerful and simple as a citrus cologne without crossing over into Pledge territory. I can't tell you how fresh and clean it makes me feel to take a bath and then layer up all of the body products on top of each other before bedtime.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2009 4:11:00 AM More reviews by chayaNY

as a kid my mom always had this massive bottle of the stuff, with the distinctive black, round cap, in the corner of the bathtub. it was that big a bottle, plus she was not a big fan. i think more so, maybe not a fan of the "gifter." a short while back she got the small, purse sized, spray version and i had to try it. in fact i tried it on again earlier tonight when i saw it in her bathroom. there is something so nostalgic about this, the smell evokes the 70's for me. i can't imagine wearing this and having a man say "hmmm, you smell sexy!" as he snuggles up to you. it's hard scent to describe but to it's very "perfumey" in that it's not at all musky, natural, "human" scent like. i don't hate it, just can't see buying it for myself or wearing it. i have never tried the splash version but when i got a whiff of this that one came right back to me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/6/2008 7:47:00 PM More reviews by Shadow_Witch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

From the Revlon website:
Top Notes: Lemon, Bergamot, Lavender
Mid Notes: Rose, Jasmine, Muguet, Geranium, Spices
Dry Down: Amber, Musk, Patchouly

I have loved this my whole life. The concentrated cologne that looks like it smells like lemon drops but instead smells of lemon leaves and lemon blossoms, as well as the after bath splash that smells of lemon verbena and lavender. I'm an RN and get nothing but compliments when I wear this all summer long at work and at play. Only wished it wasn't so impossible to find where I live that I have to buy it on evilBay and pay shipping. I have Jean Nate' "perfume" from gosh knows when brand new in box too!
Side note: If you don't like something that's fine, you don't need to insult others who do.

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2008 10:53:00 PM More reviews by cedarchristie

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

A truly great unisex scent! The citrus and fresh lavender combine for a wonderful freshness that never tipples over into 'cleaning product' odour and isn't too masculine for a woman to carry off. I only gave it 4 lippies because the first blast is strong and there is that alcohol whiffaroo but it dries down quickly to a beautiful subtle cleaness that lays close to the skin for hours. The packaging is crap but the price is more than decent.
EDIT**
I forgot to mention that this review is for the bath splash.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/19/2008 2:28:00 PM More reviews by MarianNorris

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This doesn't smell lemony or citrusy to/on me...it smells men's cologne-y. I think it smells nice but it's very masculine if you ask me and if my husband would ever be caught dead wearing a cologne called Jean Nate without worrying someone would think he was weird, I'd make him wear it because I'd like it on HIM!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2008 12:04:00 AM More reviews by iodine

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I began wearing this as a student nurse and after, that was before all the folks with allergies began speaking up. I still wear it all summer, but I wear the concentrate, it lasts longer, and smells better. Lemon drop is my best description.
When I wore it to work, I always got compliments from the docs and patients. My family likes me to wear it, esp. at the beach. You just feel so fresh and cool when you get a whif of yourself. Great classic.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/24/2008 12:09:00 AM More reviews by AnneElise

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

LOVE this drugstore favorite. I always thought of it as THE summertime splash, sort of an astringent/freshener for the body, like the lemon-scented splash you get if you take a busride in Turkey.
Keep it in the fridge and splash it on after a shower in the summer. You'll feel and smell fresh.

PS: OK. It's been about a year since I wrote this review. In that year I can't tell you how many perfumes I've tried in my quest to find something pretty, fresh, feminine. In my opinion, the thing that makes a scent a winner is when I feel beautiful (or at least pretty :) in it, and when people say, "Hey, you smell wonderful!" In all the perfumes I've tried, NOTHING has been as good, fresh-smelling and has surrounded me with an aura of loveliness as good ol' Jean Nate!

Yeah--and I even paid heaps for a very well-known (and rare) fresh scent by a famous French designer, and in all of its complexness and notes of scent, I thought, "Hm, ya know, I prefer Jean Nate'!"

So, I'm headin' to the drugstore this spring to get some!