April 18, 2014 | 982 users online

Liquid - Merle Norman - Luxiva Lasting Foundation

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 10/16/2012 3:33:00 PM More reviews by erinmc42

After wearing foundations for over 15 years, trying different ones every time I buy, I have finally found one that I have gone back to 3 times so far!

After trying all the drug store foundations under $10, I decided about 2 years ago it was time to spend some money to get the results I wanted: something that will STAY on my face until I wash it off, that won't look cakey, and that covers acne scars and reddish tones.

I loved the look of Covergirl's Dream Matte Mousse but it wipes off/sweats off easily. I also loved Bare Essentials but found I had to reapply to keep the coverage I wanted. I have also tried Smashbox's HD foundation and felt it didn't cover well.

Merle Norman's Lasting Foundation is the best!! I'm willing to spend $39 two times a year for this product that stays put all day long.

I wear it every day, setting it with Covergirl's clean compact powder. If I need something stronger for a special event or photo shoot, I have used it layered with Bare Essential's foundation on top. It is very versatile and not at all cakey (but however COULD be if you use a heavy hand and heavy powder).

rated 3 of 5 on 9/24/2012 9:57:00 PM More reviews by ash21871

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

The makeup is great and it has great coverage. I had a time getting it off my face at the end of the day. I had to use about two of the make up remover clothes and wash my face to make sure that I got it of good. It has a very perfumey smell that last all day. The only reason that I wouldn't buy again is because it irritated my face so bad that my face would itch all day.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2012 1:44:00 AM More reviews by WyllowL

I've been trying to find a great foundation for years, but it's been impossible because I'm so fair and I'm allergic to many foundations. This is by far the best I've found. I have combination skin and it isn't drying or oily. The coverage is great and buildable without looking cakey so long as you blend it a little, and once it's on it doesn't feel heavy (even after covering a blemish). You do have to work a little quickly with this foundation, though, because it dries quickly. I think that's great, especially when you're in a hurry, but if you're used to foundation that takes a few minutes to dry, you should keep that in mind.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/27/2012 11:27:00 PM More reviews by sigriiid

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

PACKAGING:
I really have no complaints about the looks of packaging. I like that, since they have repackaged, you can see the color of the product inside the tube. However, I really just don't dig the squeeze tube, in general. If you squeeze too much out, it is very difficult to get it back in the container. It can be done, but it takes time, and patience.
COVERAGE:
I would call this a medium - full coverage foundation. It blends easily, and you don't have to use very much, which is nice considering the price. Cream is the lightest color available, and it matches my coloring perfectly.
FINISH:
This foundation has a very matte finish. I have always considered myself to have Normal/Oily skin-- nothing too oily, but, boy, can I shine if I don't watch out. With this foundation, there is ABSOLUTELY NO shine on my face. I would strongly recommend this for anyone that has trouble with shine control. That being said, it may be a little drying on dry skin.
LASTING POWER:
Geeze, Louise! This stuff is called Lasting, and it sure does. I can safely say this foundation has lasted 12+ hours on me. I usually set my liquid foundation with powder, but I don't even have to with this. This would be great for weddings or events where you plan on getting pictures taken throughout the day and you may not have a lot of time for touch ups.

However, I gave this a 4/5 instead of a full 5/5 because of two reasons. Number one: This is an expensive foundation-- I believe it retails for $31.00. That can be a little scary if you are on a tight budget. I might recommend buying this foundation and only using it on special occasions where you need your foundation to last a while. Number two: This foundation lasts...and lasts... and lasts. It takes a little more patience to wash this off than other foundations. This is a nuisance, at most, and not a huge deal for me.

ALL IN ALL:
This is a fantastic foundation. It has great coverage, eliminates shine, and doesn't disappear! Sure, it has its thorns, but what foundation doesn't? I will be repurchasing.

A good drugstore alternative would be Revlon Colorstay for Combination/Oily skin. It costs 1/3 of the price and has a very similar formula.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 7/1/2012 7:50:00 PM More reviews by DarklitFaery

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

So my bestie loves this foundation and I wore it for my senior pics and my wedding. And I LOVED it! So when I could afford it, I but it. After about a week, when I took my makeup off, my skin would sting and looked even more red. And one morning I woke up to a swollen face, clogged pores, and red welts! I broke down crying because I had to go to class with my face looking like I got into a fight with a bee. :/ apparently I'm allergic to something in it, which sucks. I'd recommend getting a sample before you purchase it. Loved the coverage, loved the packaging, loved the color-- I really loved this foundation. My face, however, did not. So I will not be repurchasing sadly.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2012 12:34:00 PM More reviews by AuNatural716

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

This probably would have been a good foundation for many ladies, but this broke me out in sores/welts on my face and the perfumy SMELL annoyed me for a few hours after I first put it on. This is a very thick foundation with a heavy consistency but good coverage because only a little bit is needed at a time. However, it was hard to wash off. The biggest reason I did not give this a 1 though is because this foundation was the last thing I've tested that made me realize and conclude that I am for sure allergic to talc in makeup. I broke out in welts after using a couple different brands of talc-based powders before I tried this and I can finally say for sure talc is a major source of these for me, but if you're not sensitive to talc then this is an ok foundation, but probably better for mature skin rather than younger women.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/17/2012 6:40:00 PM More reviews by PeachFuzzz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Nice packaging. I like simple and plastic. I'm clumsy and have broken numerous glass bottles. However, this looks disgusting on my skin. I have super duper oily skin and this did ok with it but not so great to put up with the cons. First, color selection sucks. Not enough yellow colores. NC 30-35 and I think creamy beige was selected for me. Not even close. I have clear skin. No pimples..nada. I was on accutane for 6 months and now have beautiful skin. This made me break out. I wasn't surprised because of thick and nasty this felt and my skin can handle a lot. I still got oily and by the end of the day it made me age by 10 years. I'm 23. This is not ok and returned this so fast.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2012 12:29:00 PM More reviews by betel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love the way this feels after it sets, I am used to mineral makeup and love the way it feels like you are not wearing any makeup and this feels like that! I was amazed because as soon as you put it on it feel kind of greasy but wait a little longer and voila its matte and it feels like you have nothing on I have no idea why people say it feels like a mask I guess they have really dry skin? I love the smell too its luxurious and if you dont like it, it goes away soon anyways. It has actually made my skin clear up quite a bit(off the bc)and i dont have a hard time washing off at all. It covers well and if you need you can wait till it sets a bit then go over your spots again. I am Golden Beige and it matches perfectly it has the yellow undertone no one else seems to have. I am definately a Merle girl forever
EDIT: I am still loving it after trying Estee Lauders DW but colors are way off for us yellow tinged girls and it DW broke me out, this however does not and it looks great by the end of the day. I tried Revlon Colorstay too and they are very similar in the smell, finish and staying power except Revlon broke me out too! So I wont stray again.
Edit: This is my holy grail I have been using for about a year and this is the only foundation that can touch my face, my skins actually feels better after I take it off. My face never has looked this good. And best of all Merle Norman is still made here in USA!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2012 4:12:00 PM More reviews by sabrinalovesmakeup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I would tell anyone that has oily skin to try this! I have dry skin but i love this foundation! It last all day and it doesnt rub off or oxides! Its a little pricy but its wroth it!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2012 8:09:00 PM More reviews by mqt

I have been using this foundation for about 5-6 years. I was deployed to the desert and let me tell you...(and I'm a hard working girl) I had the best looking face over there. I know there are probably people who wonder why I bothered. I don't care, I just did. Anyhow, in 130 degree heat during the day (I was outside all day) and 95 at night with 100% humidity, my makeup stayed on ALL DAY. People came up to me to look closer because they couldn't believe how flawless my face looked, even close-up. When it is winter-time I backed off a little on the makeup because my face got dryer, but a good moisturizer might fix that. I have NEVER broken out and I have a tendency to get whiteheads. In fact, I think it makes my skin look nice and protects it. It doesn't have a ton of spf in it, but it's not bad when you don't go outside that often. I used to waste so much money trying out foundations from everywhere, and even though the $28 I spend on seems expensive, it lasts me forever (3 months).

A note on application: Be careful around your eyebrows so your eyebrows don't look like they've been painted

Also, you don't need much so don't put as much on your finger or sponge as you do other liquidy foundations. Work it in slowly so you can see how it's working for you. It is matte, so if you want extremely natural this ain't it, but if you need/want full coverage this is perfect.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No