La Roche Posay Toleriane Soothing Protective Light Facial Fluid

3.8

Aqua/Water,Squalane, Glycerin, Dipropylene Glycol, Carbomer, Sodium Hydroxide, Ethylhexyl-Glycerin, Caprylyl Glycol

on 4/18/2013 7:18:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

So this little guy is a bit pricey but I believe it's worth it. About 2 months ago I got a nice (horrifying) case of contact dermatitis on my eye lids and neck. At that time I had been using Clinique acne solutions line for 3 years. That never really gave me results. My acne never got better and I always wore the acne solutions foundation during the day because my skin had gotten discoloured and blotchy. The acne solutions line was super harsh for my skin and kept flaring up the dermatitis to the point where I was crying and started using just honey to wash my face and moisturize. Then I got this little guy on sale at Shoppers Drug Mart. It's a good simple moisturizer for oily skin. It definitely isn't super strongly moisturizing but it does the trick for me because I'm not super dry. It's gentle enough to put on my eyes with and without dermatitis flare ups. I really like it. It doesn't make me greasy either. The pump dispenser is fantastic and it has a low safe rating from EWG. I'm happy to use this as my staple moisturizer. Each bottle will last me close to 3 months using it once every morning and night. I wash with the Toleriane Foaming Cleanser, put the moisturizer on and make a 1:3 pt ACV:Concentrated green tea toner that I only put on my pimples after moisturizing to dry them up overnight (I know toner is supposed to be put on before moisturizing but this is how it works well for me). If you're on the fence about buying this I say try it, especially if it is on sale, because there's no real harm with this.

This stuff is fantastic for combination dry to combination oily skin. It's soothing and sinks in like a dream. It did make my forehead (the absolute oiliest part of my face) a bit greasy so if you are extremely extremely oily maybe this wouldn't be the best product for you. Likewise, if you are extremely dry, product has an almost serum-like texture and I can't see it being hydrating enough on its own for dry skin, a thicker more emollient layer will be needed on top, though Toleriane fluid could certainly function as a hydrating base serum if need be.

Anyway, despite the slighly oily forehead (easily remedied by avoiding the area), my skin felt like baby skin with this stuff on. I had some raw and cracking areas around my mouth from retinoid use and this calmed it down and healed it within one use overnight. My skin felt smooth, supple, hydrated, and happy.

Unfortunately, I can't use this. Despite the magnificent hydration and texture, it clogs me like you would not believe. Squalane, the primary ingredient after water, is generally considered mildly comedogenic but is apparently a huge no go for me. I ended up with underground zits and clogged pores all over my face, even on my cheeks where I rarely break out. Truly disappointing. Toleriane fluid has been the only moisturizer I've ever tried that has been both hydrating and light enough for my skin to feel good with it on.

I still give it three stars though, just because it doesn't work for me individually doesn't mean it's a bad product. In fact, I would recommend this product very highly IF you are fortunate enough to be able to use squalane without breakouts and if you are not extremely, extremely oily. A patch test may be necessary first.

on 12/29/2012 3:42:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I wrecked my skin thinking I could use a vit c serum in the am with a night retinoid, which resulted in angry, red, rough, flaky skin.

I was looking for something a smidge lighter than Polysporin, and fell upon this. My skin recuperated in less than a week.

Love the feel.

on 12/16/2012 4:08:00 PM

Great product for acne prone skin! I have dry, acne prone skin and I continue to use and repurchase this product. I have bought it 3 times. However I do have some issues with it which is why I give it a 4. I actually would rate it 3.5 instead. It is very pricey for what it is at $30 for 30ml (CAD). It's about a $1 per ml. It has very simple ingredients and very good for acne skin. It is a very basic moisturizer. The fluide version is the best for acne prone skin but not the best for dry skin. I found it did not help too much when my skin is very dry in the winter. There are richer versions of this but the ingredients are potentially clogging for me which is why I stick to this. I have another issue with this and it is that it has sodium hydroxide. This is what I believe irritates my skin at times. If you have areas of your face that is red because of acne or dryness and irritation it, this product can make it worse. It would sting on my face. Other than that, when your skin is not having active acne or irritation, and just have acne-prone skin this is a great non-pore clogging basic moisturizer. I find this is great for me in the summer when dryness isn't an issue.

on 12/4/2012 1:43:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product is very light. It's great for under makeup during hot summer days, but it proved to be just too light for me. My skin is closer to normal / combination and this moisturizer is definitely for oily skin.

on 9/19/2012 9:49:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse

I have repurchased this item at least 12 times. It soothes and moisturizes, which is exactly what I need after a salicylic acid peel. I have oily skin with very large pores, and this has never broken me out or left me feeling greasy. It's probably a little pricey for the very simple ingredients, but the fact that it doesn't harm me in any way makes it worth it.
It's simple, clean, moisturizing-perferct for me. It even travels well.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

The nice thing about this product is that it feels light on the skin, doesn't make my skin break out, and makeup goes on nicely over it. However, I can only use this if my skin is particularly oily, otherwise it won't give me the necessary moisture I need. I only recommend this for oily skin types.

on 8/10/2012 3:31:00 AM

My chest area is highly sensitive. It gets irritated for all kinds of wired reasons. Last night after shower, I found that there was redness all over my chest and it was itchy as well. I put some regular moisturizer and went to sleep. This morning the situation did not get any better. I suddently remembered that I have this in my drawer. I pulled it out and put it on. I was surprised how fast it calmed my skin down. I feel like as I was rubbing it onto my chest, the redness already started to fade away. Now an hour has passed and my chest has come to a pretty presentable state (before it was pretty horrible). I always think highy of La Roche Posay's product. I think they are truely mild and effective at the same time. I would highly recommend this brand to people with sensitive skin like me.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I was not impressed with this product at first. You see, some reviewers are right, it does seem like it sits on your face. What I did is applied it all over and pat my face to help absorb it faster. Once it's absorbed, my face felt nourished and supple. It doesn't make my face oily nor does it mattify it to the point my skin underneath is dry--BB Creams tend to do that to me at least. So anyway, over the past month, I've been going thru a lot of purging in my face due to my other acne products--glycolic acids, BHAs, etc. which are very drying. I had dry spots around my eyes and some rich moisturizers felt stinging to me, it hurt more. This was the ONLY thing that soothed my dry patches and eventually moisturized them later on. No more dry patches. I cannot go without this one, even if I use tinted moisturizers with SPF afterwards.

Also have to say, when I used some moisturizers on my neck, my neck burned! I don't know if my skin was THAT sensitive or if the products I used were a little harsh, so I went back and put this on my neck as well...and my gawd, was it soothing. And it absorbed quickly too! I love this and I would also like to try the Toleriane Ultra as everyone is raving about that one.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Whenever my combination skin gets out of whack especially when I travel overseas for work, I use this trick recommended by my dermatologist. I use this cream Toleriane Fluid Soothing Protective Non-Oily Emulsion (Combination to Oily Skin) on my T-Zone. It's a light moisturiser that helps mattify my forehead, nose and chin and keeps the shine at bay. It's non-comedogenic and is great for my oily but sensitive T-Zone. To balance out my oily but dehydrated cheek areas, I use LPR's Hydraphase Intense Legere Intensive Rehydrating Care. After a month, my skin balances itself out. Ideal for the hot, humid climate I live in.

I also help my skin along by using 2 different toners - Jurlique Citrus Purifying Mist on my oily T-Zone and Jurlique Lavender Hydrating Mist on my dehydrated cheeks. Never use a harsh cleanser, not even one formulated for Combination Skin when trying to rebalance your skin. Use instead a very mild, gentle cleanser. After a month, with this routine, my skin learns to rebalances itself.