August 30, 2014 | 1753 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Captive

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2012 12:00:00 PM More reviews by mapn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

I donít really remember the last time Iíve owned an actual lipstick; I usually stick to glosses. But I decided itís time to try something new and went to the MAC counter at an airport. I confessed the sales that Iím a lipstick novice and gave her my colour specs: quite dark and strong, but not overly so for my pale NC15 complexion, more pinkish than brownish, and with a semi-matte finish. She recommended Captive and Iíve been most pleased with it! The shade is just what I wanted, and looks very pretty on me. The staying power is ok I guess, donít have much to compare it with. I only wear it on special occasions, and Iím quite sure Iíll never become an everyday lipstick wearer.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2012 12:24:00 PM More reviews by mrsbee12

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am new to MAC lipstick (my 2nd one) and I picked this color on a whim. This color is very unique. It is described as a Pinkish-Plum but it is more blue-pink with plum. I am NW43 in MAC with dark pigmented lips and the coverage is great and it wears for hours. After being worn, it leaves a berryish stain on the lips which I don't mind at all. Beautiful color for WOC.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2012 4:18:00 PM More reviews by tubbyloves

I was really into a dark lipstick for the fall-winter months and I thought Captive would have been perfect!
It is a medium raspberry colour with hints of dark red tones.
It is very unique and part of the Satin line. It is very pigmented and has a cream finish.
Unfortunately, this colour doesn't work well with my face. It is a unique colour but it looks bad on me. It doesn't fit the shape of my lips and I will be exchanging this one, but it doesn't mean that it won't work out for you!
I would say this colour is more appropriate for women aged 30+ as it is mature and sophisticated. It also dries out my lips, but my lips get dry from ANY lipstick sooooo it may not be a problem. It does transfer, but it leaves a nice cherry stain on the lips!
Didn't work for me but if you are into medium-dark raspberry-red lipsticks, give this a try!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2011 9:19:00 AM More reviews by xtinahb

Fantastic texture, finish, and wear and a nice plummy deep pink shade for my NC30/C4 light tan Asian complexion. The best part about this lippie is the formula: it's comfortable, not drying, and lasts and lasts through breakfast and lunch and coffees in between; a solid 6 hours at least. I wish MAC formulas were more consistent because I have other Satin finishes and they are not nearly as nice as Captive. It is definitely a noticeable shade, even on my pigmented lips, but still professional enough for work. Would not repurchase only because I try new lippies constantly and while nice, it is not quite HG for daily use, but I love having it in the mix :)

rated 3 of 5 on 8/18/2011 8:05:00 PM More reviews by bluelitzer

I was looking for an autumn lipstick color when I bought this. The thing is I confused it with MAC REBEL shade. I swiped it in it's full rich color, as it was intended to be, and it was too dark and unflattering for my complexion. It looks like a matured person color (I think it's because of the dark color combined with the dry semi matte texture). However I decided to make it work and swiped it again only once just to stain my lips, then I put a fruit punch colored lipgloss over it to lighten the color. It looks tons better, more wearable and most importantly less like an old lady lipstick. I won't repurchase though.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2011 10:56:00 AM More reviews by Radchickee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This goes on darker than I'd imagined. I was looking for a shade to match my actual lip color. This is in the right family but too dark to look natural. It's not quite gothic but I do like the dark plum mauvey shade for when I don't want to look too natural.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/27/2011 6:29:00 PM More reviews by julma

I love lipsticks, so naturally I have almost every shade of plum-ish pink that MAC offers. Here's some info for people like me:

Captive is darker than Craving (Craving is more pink). Captive is almost like a wine color. The texture is a little drying, maybe not the best moisturizing lip, but still, its long wearing (much more so than plumful, as I found out at a dinner party). Plumful is Captive's buildable cousin.

I think that Captive is maybe a little on the dark side for me (NC20 ish, NARS Mont Blanc) but it creates a good night out look and if you blot your lips after applying it, it leaves a nice wine colored stain on your lips. I've gotten more compliments on captive than anything else I've tried. Still, lots of pale people like me don;t like to wear anything too dark, so this might run a little dark for paler folks. I think this would look lovely on darker skin tones though.

EDIT: I actually find this to be a little too brown for me in the winter. Maybe it would look nicer with a tan or applied with a lip brush (to lessen product).

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/2/2011 6:43:00 PM More reviews by dundada

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Black

I'm so sorry I bought this now. I should swap Captive because I've barely used it and I hate it. Craving is a LOT prettier to me than Captive. It has this darker mauve color on me that I just hate. Craving is more of a dark pink on me and that's what I prefer. I'm an NC45.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/1/2011 8:29:00 AM More reviews by CrimsonSmile

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I got this today after askig the MA to pick a shade which matched my natural lips- just to even the tone out. I paired it with Soar liner. It's not dark at all on me- quite natural. It amuses me to hear it described as Gothic- hehe!
I used to have Plumful - with half red liner but it was far too mauve on me- made me look sick. (I have NW10 skin and dark hair)

Taking this and the liner back today- they both look like plumful did- the brown and mauve undertones make me look tired and sickly.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2010 6:53:00 AM More reviews by psychdr

As a long time fan of MAC lipsticks, I was looking for a new shade to try and I'm so happy that I came across this one! It is the perfect shade of plummy/lavender/pink and has excellent staying power. Works great for both day and evening looks. Would definitely repurchase.