October 21, 2014 | 1933 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Captive

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2012 7:59:00 PM More reviews by jamster86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this shade. I wanted something a little toned down for the day time but still something that would be noticed and this is it! I've read other reviews that say its goth, or for older ladies, and to me that doesnt make sense at all! It must be one of those shades that really depends on lip pigmentation. But for me it's a gorgeous dusky rose pink which can be worn more thickly for a brighter look. I absolutely adore it and since getting it a few days ago have worn it none stop and had lots of compliments!!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2012 12:36:00 PM More reviews by ilovejp

I agree with one of the reviewers below. I saw this in MAC and although darker than what I normally go for, I thought it would suit me. It looked different once I got it home and once I tried it on I realised it just wasn't for me. It just doesn't suit me but I imagine it would look really nice on someone with a more suited skin tone. It washes me out which is a shame because it is a nice colour but it just does me no favours.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2012 12:00:00 PM More reviews by mapn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

I donít really remember the last time Iíve owned an actual lipstick; I usually stick to glosses. But I decided itís time to try something new and went to the MAC counter at an airport. I confessed the sales that Iím a lipstick novice and gave her my colour specs: quite dark and strong, but not overly so for my pale NC15 complexion, more pinkish than brownish, and with a semi-matte finish. She recommended Captive and Iíve been most pleased with it! The shade is just what I wanted, and looks very pretty on me. The staying power is ok I guess, donít have much to compare it with. I only wear it on special occasions, and Iím quite sure Iíll never become an everyday lipstick wearer.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2012 12:24:00 PM More reviews by mrsbee12

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am new to MAC lipstick (my 2nd one) and I picked this color on a whim. This color is very unique. It is described as a Pinkish-Plum but it is more blue-pink with plum. I am NW43 in MAC with dark pigmented lips and the coverage is great and it wears for hours. After being worn, it leaves a berryish stain on the lips which I don't mind at all. Beautiful color for WOC.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2012 4:18:00 PM More reviews by tubbyloves

I was really into a dark lipstick for the fall-winter months and I thought Captive would have been perfect!
It is a medium raspberry colour with hints of dark red tones.
It is very unique and part of the Satin line. It is very pigmented and has a cream finish.
Unfortunately, this colour doesn't work well with my face. It is a unique colour but it looks bad on me. It doesn't fit the shape of my lips and I will be exchanging this one, but it doesn't mean that it won't work out for you!
I would say this colour is more appropriate for women aged 30+ as it is mature and sophisticated. It also dries out my lips, but my lips get dry from ANY lipstick sooooo it may not be a problem. It does transfer, but it leaves a nice cherry stain on the lips!
Didn't work for me but if you are into medium-dark raspberry-red lipsticks, give this a try!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2011 9:19:00 AM More reviews by xtinahb

Fantastic texture, finish, and wear and a nice plummy deep pink shade for my NC30/C4 light tan Asian complexion. The best part about this lippie is the formula: it's comfortable, not drying, and lasts and lasts through breakfast and lunch and coffees in between; a solid 6 hours at least. I wish MAC formulas were more consistent because I have other Satin finishes and they are not nearly as nice as Captive. It is definitely a noticeable shade, even on my pigmented lips, but still professional enough for work. Would not repurchase only because I try new lippies constantly and while nice, it is not quite HG for daily use, but I love having it in the mix :)

rated 3 of 5 on 8/18/2011 8:05:00 PM More reviews by bluelitzer

I was looking for an autumn lipstick color when I bought this. The thing is I confused it with MAC REBEL shade. I swiped it in it's full rich color, as it was intended to be, and it was too dark and unflattering for my complexion. It looks like a matured person color (I think it's because of the dark color combined with the dry semi matte texture). However I decided to make it work and swiped it again only once just to stain my lips, then I put a fruit punch colored lipgloss over it to lighten the color. It looks tons better, more wearable and most importantly less like an old lady lipstick. I won't repurchase though.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2011 10:56:00 AM More reviews by Radchickee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This goes on darker than I'd imagined. I was looking for a shade to match my actual lip color. This is in the right family but too dark to look natural. It's not quite gothic but I do like the dark plum mauvey shade for when I don't want to look too natural.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/27/2011 6:29:00 PM More reviews by julma

I love lipsticks, so naturally I have almost every shade of plum-ish pink that MAC offers. Here's some info for people like me:

Captive is darker than Craving (Craving is more pink). Captive is almost like a wine color. The texture is a little drying, maybe not the best moisturizing lip, but still, its long wearing (much more so than plumful, as I found out at a dinner party). Plumful is Captive's buildable cousin.

I think that Captive is maybe a little on the dark side for me (NC20 ish, NARS Mont Blanc) but it creates a good night out look and if you blot your lips after applying it, it leaves a nice wine colored stain on your lips. I've gotten more compliments on captive than anything else I've tried. Still, lots of pale people like me don;t like to wear anything too dark, so this might run a little dark for paler folks. I think this would look lovely on darker skin tones though.

EDIT: I actually find this to be a little too brown for me in the winter. Maybe it would look nicer with a tan or applied with a lip brush (to lessen product).

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/2/2011 6:43:00 PM More reviews by dundada

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Black

I'm so sorry I bought this now. I should swap Captive because I've barely used it and I hate it. Craving is a LOT prettier to me than Captive. It has this darker mauve color on me that I just hate. Craving is more of a dark pink on me and that's what I prefer. I'm an NC45.