Trish McEvoy High Volume Mascara

3.6

on 11/10/2012 5:00:00 PM

I am a bit of a mascara junkie. I look for length, volume and most importantly, staying power/zero smudge. It also needs to be easy to remove. This mascara is all that and removes easily with finger tips and hot water. It is my current go-to. I think that TM has reformulated this. I used to use it and after only a couple of weeks, it would get dry and flaky. I have had this tube for about a month now and it is still going strong. If I can get a few more weeks out of it, it will be crowned my HG! Update: I didn't get a few more weeks before it got flaky. I have ended up going back to it, time and time again though. As it is one of the best mascaras I have ever used. Pricy to replace every 4-6 weeks, but until I find a better one, this is a keeper.

on 10/18/2012 12:38:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

This mascara reminds me of the type of mascara one would wear for a black tie event. It's very very black and thick. It doesn't smudge or flake. But if too much is applied, it's going to clump like nobody's business. Using an eyelash comb, while product is somewhat moist, is recommend. If you attempt to separate your lashes after it dries, it's going to crumble and the tugging hurts a little.

Although the brush is very small and kinda' strange looking, it's good at picking up every single lash. I had no idea I had so many wild eyelashes until I applied this. After plucking the wild lashes out, I was left with really dark, dense, beautiful lashes. Because I use a Castor/Amla/Coconut oil mixture on my lashes every night, they are long, thick, and dense. This mascara made it appear as if I was wearing false eyelashes. Coupled with the intense gel eyeliner, the look was very dramatic and not one I'd wear during the day. It's definitely an evening look if you have long, thick eyelashes. Now, if your eyelashes are short, skimpy and sparse, then you will definitely be able to wear this as a daytime mascara with no problem.

After a couple of weeks it seemed to harden or dry out a bit, so I put it in hot water before using it. It makes application alot easier. I really like this mascara and it's going to be the one I reach for when I need an evening look, but it's not one that I would use everyday for a simple, natural looking eye. I'm guessing it's because of the volumizing. I'm going to try her lengthening mascara and see if it works as an everyday mascara. Even though it's costly, it's cheaper than Jane Iredale.

on 7/24/2012 5:06:00 PM

I received this as a GWP in Jet Black. It lengthened my lashes but it also made them clump together resulting in a tarantula eye. Not a good look at all. If you're looking for a great tubing mascara, I would recommend trying my current favorite, Kevyn Aucoin's Volumizing mascara.

Well the pros are that it does not smudge and does not flake. You'd have to have some pretty nice lashes to start with though because it's thin in consistency. I have great lashes from using Careprost, so it works for me. It's very black also which I love. I used Blinc, another tube like mascara and it was sticky as in my upper/lower lashes would meld together sometimes. This one does not do that. It goes on smooth. It works! I used it ONE day and love it.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

HOLY GRAIL! Love love LOVE this, stays on ALL day, no flakes, no muss, no smudges, you CAN build volume, as long as you do it quickly. It is a "tubing" mascara, like Blinc, only Blinc leaves my lashes spare, and dry, looking like I have like three lashes. This fills them in, plumps them up and for a sparse lashed girl, thats saying something. I do love other mascaras, Chanel inimitable, Lancome Hypnose, but I wear contacts, my eyes water, and this stays!

on 4/8/2012 5:25:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

On one hand, I'd hoped to love High Volume, because 1) it's made by a cruelty-free company, 2) it's a "tubing" formula, which is great on my super-oily skin, and 3) it volumizes, something tubing mascaras rarely do. I also had high hopes for the stream-lined brush. But, on the other hand, part of me was hoping not to love it above all other mascaras, because it's $30, for heaven's sake.

Well. I wore High Volume for the first time today, and while it has many good points, it's not looking like my HG mascara. The mascara itself is *very* black, which I love, and I think I could learn to love the almost scarily skinny brush. BUT the dealbreaker is: it looks kind of heavy, and it clumps. It doesn't clump terribly, but enough that I had to spend several extra minutes this morning combing through it with my metal lash comb, and I just don't have that kind of time.

I'm chalking this up as a rather expensive experiment, and am going to try something else.

on 8/10/2011 8:38:00 PM

This is my go-to mascara. It goes on easily and doesn't smudge at all. Even though it says it is a volumizing mascara, it adds length too. The only trick is not to wait until it is dry to put on the second coat.

on 4/7/2011 7:14:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I do not understand any bad reviews on this!! This makes my lashes so long, doesn't smudge or run at all on me, and removal is amazing!!! Comes off in tubes with water....Other mascaras leave black smudging even after I take off all my make up...love this product!

on 3/22/2011 2:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I actually love this mascara but can actually understand all the bad reviews for this. This mascara is lengthening, volumizing, and makes my lashes look amazingly dramatic and fake.. if you are willing to put in the time. The packaging is gorgeous. Small, sleek, elegant, and the small brush which i understand a lot of people don't like, I personally love because it gets at every single lash in my inner and outer corners. The reason why a lot of volumizing mascaras generally have such large brushes is that you can get a lot of product on the brushes and therefore volumize in less time. The small brush with this can build you great volume but you really have to take a lot of time to layer every single lash and this mascara's formula makes it easy to clump so I have to constantly pick a lash comb through my lashes. The end result of it if you apply correctly is actually one of the most dramatic set of lashes I have ever used with just mascara- beats Dior Show, Lancome Hypnose, and every other mascara I have ever tried in terms of drama (and trust me I have tried maaaany) I cannot stress enough how dramatic your lashes will look at the end if you are willing to take the time to relayer and comb through your lashes. People who have not gotten good results from this were not applying correctly or were not taking enough time. It took me many times of trial and error to get me the look this mascara can potentially give me, My lashes at the end are defined, separated, super long, extremely full, dark, and fake looking. Such a contrast from my natural lashes (quite long and curly but sparse and thin) that my friends wouldn't even believe me when I told them they were my real lashes.

I will not be repurchasing though because even with the great results, I am a lazy sort with not much patience for things like relayering mascara. In the time it takes to get these results (about four minutes), i'd rather put on false lashes when I want this dramatic of a look. It's also really pricey (about $30)

on 8/21/2010 4:14:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I as given this mascara as part of a gift set, and while it does the job, I really couldn't recommend it.

The pros:

It lasts until you remove it, unless you fall asleep on your side wearing it, in which case, your lashes will be all smushed together when you awaken.

It doesn't smudge or flake.

It is quite a deep black.

It doesn't require special remover, but will come off with cleanser and water with some effort.

The cons:

Almost any drugstore mascara except maybe Great Lash is a better mascara. It doesn't lengthen or volumise brilliantly and if you build it up, it clumps.

It is not all that easy to remove.

Your lashes feel stiff and rubbery.

It's pricy.