October 31, 2014 | 905 users online

Cleansers - Cetaphil - Daily Facial Cleanser (Normal to Oily Skin)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2014 8:12:00 PM More reviews by taylor123

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

WOW this stuff broke me out so bad lol I literally don't understand why dermatologists recommend this brand to people. I've had pretty decent skin but I figured it was time to switch up my cleanser as my other one wasn't removing makeup/dirt very efficiently. My dermatologist recommended this cleanser to me. I found it at walmart for SUPER cheap, like 6 dollars at walmart and took it home. It foams up quite nice, clean smell and I felt clean at first without feeling irritated. I used it for about almost 2 weeks but I just couldn't do it anymore! I know have a huge cluster of flesh colored bumps on my chin and i started to get big red cystic breakouts on my forehead and cheeks! I'm still trying to clear up the ones on my chin and the ones on my cheeks left ugly acne marks. I used to be able to go makeup free during the day but not anymore. Now i'm stuck using a heavy coverage foundation because of all the acne this face wash left me with and I'm so angry. Turns out, it's really a soap full of junk, it contains methylparaben and masking fragrance. The cetaphil gentle cleanser isn't any better as it contains 3 parabens instead of 1. I don't know why doctors recommend this. Currently only using warm water and a light moisturizer to wash my face as it can't handle anything else right now from all the irritation I have right now. So disappointed. Don't waste your time or money on this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/13/2014 8:20:00 PM More reviews by samdrake

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This cleanser does its job; it cleanses and kind of moisturizes. After using it for about a week, my skin was shinier and softer. You have to make sure you rinse it off thoroughly, however, or else you feel like a balmy film is left on your skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2014 5:04:00 AM More reviews by KatieHawk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is one of the building blocks to my HG skin care routine. My face is finally clear and I believe that it is in part to this cleanser. No scent, extremely gentle, face feels clean but not tight after using this. I love it! I've tried literally every drugstore cleanser for acne, and never thought of this stuff because I didn't think it would work on my acne prone (cystic/nodular) skin. In all honesty, I believe I was using TOO much "acne cure" junk on my face and it was freaked out. I don't plan on using anything else unless they d'c this someday. I am so grateful for clear skin and cetaphil! :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2014 11:07:00 AM More reviews by yjanney

I've been using this cleanser the most over the past 10 years or so. I like it because it's a gentle product, not claiming to perform any miracles. It's a steady workhorse in my routine, and especially great because it's so affordable, easily available at any Walmart/Target/CVS, and you really get a lot in each bottle.
I have oily skin with acne, dry patches and some lines. I'm not expecting a cleanser to do anything more than gently and effectively clean my face - I rely on other products to address my specific skin concerns. This product IS scented, but I'm not sensitive to scents and it just smells softly like Johnson's Baby Shampoo. I have relied on this cleanser in the past to remove my eye makeup (because I'm cheap and lazy :-)) and it did alright, but I've been using Huggies brand baby wipes recently and that does a much better job. I LOVE the pump bottle because it's so convenient in the shower and quick to use. The only issue with the pump is that it's difficult to get every last bit of product out of the bottle, but I'm fine with that trade-off.
I can't imagine this ever being irritating to my skin, although I guess some people might have issues. I've used this product throughout sunburns, breakouts, and before/after MUAC skin peels (haven't tried the TCA yet, though) and it's been gentle enough for that. I like this product and will probably continue to repurchase indefinitely!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/9/2014 7:59:00 AM More reviews by Caish

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I picked up a bottle for $7 after running out of my hg dermalogica and not having the cash to replace it. I have to say, i dont think i need to rush out anymore to get it. This is doing the job quite well and i think i expected it not to work because of the price being cheap but it hasnt given me any bad side effects aka dryness irritation or breakouts and it removes my makeup too. This is kind of a first impressions review so if your tossing up whether to try it or not i say give it a go it may work for you too!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2014 9:53:00 PM More reviews by productjunkie89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is hands down my HG cleanser. (for the past 3 years)

Bit of background on me, I've been suffering from acne (the cystic variety) since Middle School, bad skin runs in the genes and is a bit of a hormonal issue with me. Anyways, through trial and error with prescription topics and oral medications, my acne is decently under control. However, about 3 years ago, I was at my doc's office and thankfully while I had clear skin then, she did notice that my skin was super oily. She said something pretty basic, you need to buy a cleanser specifically formulated for oily skin.

Picked this bad boy up and I have never looked back. Never realized how much of a difference it made, until I run out of the miracle stuff and have to use whatever else is on my bathroom counter including Philosophy's Purity, Proactiv (NO NO NO), even the Cetaphil cleanser for NORMAL skin.

The Cetaphil cleanser formulated for OILY skin is EXTREMELY, EMPHASIZE, EXTREMELY different than the normal one. I am super, super super, oily. So oily that I can see the oil coming out of my pores after washing it in the morning and night. In fact, I let my cousin borrow my oily version cleanser one night and he commented, "Why, this one actually seems like it's doing something." It's strong, like an astringent. It keeps my oilies at bay for a good half of the day before I have to blot, which is a MIRACLE.

To sum, love this product. HG.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2014 11:52:00 AM More reviews by Cheer15star

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Cool Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

It cleans your face and gives a nice refreshing finish.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/30/2014 4:37:00 PM More reviews by Kimelise

Began using this months ago, I have combination skin, yet still quite sensitive and am prone to breakouts.

I started using this about 6 months as my skin became extremely oily despite using oil free cosmetics , moisturisers etc. was previously using Kora skin care.

I have quite sensitive and chose this over the Gentle cleanser because of oil control.

It really helped control excess oil, now will only get oily in Tzone very occasionally, have found it did feel to dry my face out over prolonged use (think that May just be my skin going through sensitivity again). It helped clear up a few blemishes and had quite clear skin for a few months there. However now skin is becoming quite sensitive and irritated again, and consistent breakouts (not sure why) and weather has changed, so may change skin scare regime again and opt for a gentle cleanser.

Overall this product was great in helping eliminate oils without being to harsh instantly or stripping the skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2014 10:16:00 PM More reviews by jenglund

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm only on day 1 of using this, but I already like it. I used to use BP washes (acnefree, Clean & Clear), but they left me a little red and ruddy. I've tried more expensive ones, too (Clinique, Boscia, PRR). Was not impressed. I just want a basic, gentle cleanser that doesn't dry my face up, removes makeup and oil, and doesn't aggravate breakouts. So last year I started using CeraVe products. The hydrating cleanser wasn't a good match for my skin type, and I felt it didn't clean well enough to get up all the acne-feeding gunk. But I really liked the Foaming one, so I stuck with it for 6 months or more. I like it, but my skin is still a little bumpy (those tiny bumps that take forever to go away) and feels pretty tight after washing. It is pretty thin and foams well but doesn't seem to be really slipping around enough to make my face feel nourished rather than stripped. So, I tried Cetaphil...

Compared to CeraVe Foaming, Cetaphil for Oily Skin is...
1. Cheaper (slightly)
2. Less drying
3. Better at removing makeup.

The smell is a little "old lady," but it has more slip so it glides more easily to cover my whole face. I still get a slight dry/tight feeling a few minutes after washing, but my face feels more nourished and soft overall. I'm hoping it will help with the tiny bumps and oil and not contribute to more acne.

I'm going to stick with this for a while. I do wish it didn't have fragrance and was cruelty free :(. I'll update if anything incredibly awesome or devastating happens from this switch...

NOTE: this is close to identical to Paulas Choice Clear Cleanser, if you want to save money...the first 8 ingredients are identical, and the others are almost all mixed in somewhere after that.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2014 12:35:00 PM More reviews by helscion

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I started using the regular cetaphil cleanser while looking for a gentle cleanser that didn't dry out skin while I was on Accutane. Post Accutane, my skin is reasonably clear, but the original amount of oil production came back and I started getting some small pimples. The regular cetaphil was too heavy for my skin, especially in the hot humid weather where I live. I went from using a lot of OTC acne cleansers that only seemed to dry out skin (making it more oily) and never helped with general condition of my skin. I thought maybe it wouldn't hurt to go back and use Cetaphil again since it worked before, when I found this one for oily skin. This works really well for me. Gentle action cleansing but with oil control. My skin has cleared up and hydration-wise it is much more balanced and therefore less oily and prone to pimples! Sticking to this!