Laura Mercier Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Mahogany Brown

Talc, Propylene Glycol, C9-15 Fluoroalcohol Phosphate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Alcohol Denat., VP/VA Copolymer, Magnesium Myristate, Polyethylene, Zinc Stearate, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Polymethyl Methacrylate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Tocopherol, Alumina. May Contain (+/-): CI 77742 (Manganese Violet), CI 77499, CI 77491, CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77007 (Ultramarines), CI 77288 (Chromium Oxide Greens), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide).

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

Best. Liner. Ever. Used. (so far, not to say I won't find a better one, etc., etc.)

I'm just using this for tightlining--as it makes a huge difference on pale lashes, before putting on mascara, making them look thicker and lusher as emphasizing the roots. Previously used gel/cream liners in pots (mainly Clinique, Bobbi Brown, Stila) and self-sharpening pencils (Clinique, Origins, Almay, Maybelline, etc.). Currently using the old teeny flat-top brush that came with my Clinique Brush-on Liner in Black Honey.

LM's version can be used wet or dry; I've had best results with wet so far (dampen brush, swirl in pan, easy peasy). The colour isn't as exciting in the pan as, say, Black Honey or other shimmery glittery complex many-shaded colours. Three shades are available, and all quite flat and functional: this mahogany brown, plus a black and a navy. I'm using the brown as I look odd with black liner (too much on a pale redhead); and while it may look a bit dull in the pan, it does exactly the same as any other liner once on the eye: makes lashes look better, but without a noticeable harsh black line. A YBB effect.

Now, see, I've found that while colours look very different in the pan--that's spread over a pretty big surface area. And while I can see some difference between shades of brown, and greater or lesser degree of glimmer, once they're applied--that's peering up close at a very fine line, and when I say up close, this is a short-sighted person peering with their glasses off. Similar to using a magnifying glass for those unfortunate "normal"-sighted people out there. While these things are very pleasing to me for a few moments of the day, there's frankly no discernible difference between a duller liner like this one and a more interesting one like BH.

Colour aside: the cake is a dream to apply, and leaves no clumps, globs, inconsistencies. Just a smooth filling in of all the gaps between lashes, resulting in a nice even lash line, and that illusion of luxuriance ... Little is needed, and there's less wastage than I've had with the cream/gel liners; given that they lasted a good year or two, this should be good for a while and thus a decent buy. Certainly better than the pricey twist-up pencils, yet as lightweight and portable for travel.

USD22.00 / CAD27.00 for 2.2 g. Cruelty-free, sensitive-friendly, no irritation (tested with afternoon naps), lasts all day. Commendation on the nice subtle packaging: dark reddish-brown solid plastic with some gleam to it, simple silvery lettering.

INGREDIENTS: Talc, Propylene Glycol, PVP/PA Copolymer, DEA-C8-18 Perfluoroalkylethyl Phosphate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Polyethylene, Magnesium Myristate, Aluminum Hydroxide, Zinc Stearate, Mineral Oil, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Iron Oxides (CI 77491). May contain: Ultramarines (CI 77007), Carmine (CI 75470), Manganese Violet (CI 77742). continued >>

PROS: Very natural looking for a cake type (I sometimes use the black for nights.) The color is actually dark enough. Most dark browns are not dark enough for me. And it's not too warm like some brown eyeliners are. (I'm N15, leaning to NC.) It lasts a very long time on the eye and a very long time in the container (I use mine a lot but have had it for years.) Great for tightlining.

CONS: Takes practice to use.

ALTERNATES: LM has a brush for this called "Pointed Eyeliner brush." Very thin line is possible with it. Trish McEvoy has Brush #11 "Precise Eye Lining" that is a stiffer brush for tightlining.

ALTERNATES: Revlon Colorstay or or Almay i-color liquid liner.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I bought this liner along with the flat-headed brush last week and am not thrilled. The line is very sheer and takes a long time to build up. Also, the wet-brush method is kind of a pain. I'm actually not sure how the cake liner is any different from regular eye shadow. Now I'm layering it over a pencil to make sure that the line gets right into the lashes. It works well for that purpose, but it's not much on its own.

To the two previous reviewers: the reason that this eyeliner does NOT show up on your eyes, even after applying layers and layers, is because Laura Mercier recently changed the formula of this cake eyeliner!

It used to be incredible, and now...it is the worst eyeliner on the market.

I even asked the SA at LM and she told me that they did, in fact, change the formula, and she agreed with me that it is awful.

Laura Mercier: Wake up!! This was a fantastic product that is now truly useless.
PLEASE go back to your original formula!

I have this eyeliner in Black Ebony and have been buying it for years because it's so wonderful - so I expected Mahogany to be great too. However -- I threw this product out after trying it two or three times. I have extremely (VERY!!!!) fair skin, and yet the color hardly showed up on my eyes. I put layers and layers, but you could barely see the brown at all. I finally gave up and threw it out! What a waste of money. This was especially disappointing because I am a huge fan of Laura Mercier and have many of her products, but this was just horrible.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

Horrible bronzey color....not dark brown at all. How disappointing. I can't return this fast enough. Obviously, this isn't what it used to be judging by prior reviews. Thumbs down!

I love this eyeliner! i originally got the bleu marine, but it just didn't seem right with my coloring. This color is great though, i can get it dark enough that it's almost a softer black shade without the harshness. Although it does take some practice to apply (i line above the lashline with it) the results are great, and it doesn't dry my lids out the way other liners have. Staying power is decent, but when it does wear off it doesn't smudge at all, just sort of fades, which is definitely preferable. It seems like it will last a really long time, i haven't even made a dent yet, so the price isn't sooo outrageous. And i like the little mirror a lot, since i don't do the tightline thing, it's also a very discreet little compact to check makeup with in public. Overall i am very happy with this product. Thanks to everyone here on MUA, i never would have heard about it without you.

Color is nice good depth and goes on tight and pretty. My favorite eye liner ever.The color and consistency is very nice, but to get the Laura Mercier results, I think their brush is a must. I've tried it with half a dozen other brushes, but none are as good as the Mercier flat eye liner brush.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I thought this would make my hazel eyes look greener, but from the day I got this, all it did was make my eyes water the whole time I had it on. My eyes teared and ran all day, and I blamed it on allergies. Switched to gel liner and pencil for a few days, and the tearing of my eyes stopped. Tried using Mahogany liner again, and my eyes watered and ran all day- again! How frustrating and disappointing! I really liked the LM cake liners, until I seemed to have developed some sort of allergy or intolerance to whatever is in them. Guess I have to stick to waterproof pencils or gel liners to tightline from now on.

Don't like LM packaging, so I depotted 4 of LM cake liners into a MAC palette lol. Great color, especially for tightlining! I use the LM flat eyeliner brush - tried others but this works best. Great product!