October 1, 2014 | 1591 users online

Eyeliner - Laura Mercier - Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Mahogany Brown

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 1/28/2010 1:42:00 PM More reviews by redheadreporter

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I bought this liner along with the flat-headed brush last week and am not thrilled. The line is very sheer and takes a long time to build up. Also, the wet-brush method is kind of a pain. I'm actually not sure how the cake liner is any different from regular eye shadow. Now I'm layering it over a pencil to make sure that the line gets right into the lashes. It works well for that purpose, but it's not much on its own.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/7/2009 1:39:00 AM More reviews by SurlyTemple

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

To the two previous reviewers: the reason that this eyeliner does NOT show up on your eyes, even after applying layers and layers, is because Laura Mercier recently changed the formula of this cake eyeliner!

It used to be incredible, and now...it is the worst eyeliner on the market.

I even asked the SA at LM and she told me that they did, in fact, change the formula, and she agreed with me that it is awful.

Laura Mercier: Wake up!! This was a fantastic product that is now truly useless.
PLEASE go back to your original formula!

rated 1 of 5 on 12/17/2008 11:10:00 PM More reviews by eunice866

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have this eyeliner in Black Ebony and have been buying it for years because it's so wonderful - so I expected Mahogany to be great too. However -- I threw this product out after trying it two or three times. I have extremely (VERY!!!!) fair skin, and yet the color hardly showed up on my eyes. I put layers and layers, but you could barely see the brown at all. I finally gave up and threw it out! What a waste of money. This was especially disappointing because I am a huge fan of Laura Mercier and have many of her products, but this was just horrible.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/30/2008 9:33:00 PM More reviews by barbiH

Horrible bronzey color....not dark brown at all. How disappointing. I can't return this fast enough. Obviously, this isn't what it used to be judging by prior reviews. Thumbs down!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2008 12:44:00 AM More reviews by deaserpente

I love this eyeliner! i originally got the bleu marine, but it just didn't seem right with my coloring. This color is great though, i can get it dark enough that it's almost a softer black shade without the harshness. Although it does take some practice to apply (i line above the lashline with it) the results are great, and it doesn't dry my lids out the way other liners have. Staying power is decent, but when it does wear off it doesn't smudge at all, just sort of fades, which is definitely preferable. It seems like it will last a really long time, i haven't even made a dent yet, so the price isn't sooo outrageous. And i like the little mirror a lot, since i don't do the tightline thing, it's also a very discreet little compact to check makeup with in public. Overall i am very happy with this product. Thanks to everyone here on MUA, i never would have heard about it without you.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2008 11:38:00 PM More reviews by lwyckoff

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Color is nice good depth and goes on tight and pretty. My favorite eye liner ever.The color and consistency is very nice, but to get the Laura Mercier results, I think their brush is a must. I've tried it with half a dozen other brushes, but none are as good as the Mercier flat eye liner brush.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2007 4:21:00 PM More reviews by msdi2u

I thought this would make my hazel eyes look greener, but from the day I got this, all it did was make my eyes water the whole time I had it on. My eyes teared and ran all day, and I blamed it on allergies. Switched to gel liner and pencil for a few days, and the tearing of my eyes stopped. Tried using Mahogany liner again, and my eyes watered and ran all day- again! How frustrating and disappointing! I really liked the LM cake liners, until I seemed to have developed some sort of allergy or intolerance to whatever is in them. Guess I have to stick to waterproof pencils or gel liners to tightline from now on.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2007 4:40:00 PM More reviews by LKirsten

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Don't like LM packaging, so I depotted 4 of LM cake liners into a MAC palette lol. Great color, especially for tightlining! I use the LM flat eyeliner brush - tried others but this works best. Great product!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2006 11:08:00 AM More reviews by jesster100

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is a lovely eyeliner. I put it on in the morning and it lasts throughout the day into the evening without any need to touch up. Has the staying power of a liquid eyeliner without the harshness. Quite expensive but one palette will last you ages.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/7/2006 12:17:00 PM More reviews by eemajin

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The liquid, including cake, eyeliners give me a lot crisper eye definition that lasts without smudging so I am in the process of converting from pencils. I like this darkish brown simple color. My only complaint is the difficulty in getting a perfect line. And it is hard to get the outer corners to match on each eye. I am using the flat LM brush. All in all, I can generally get a good-enough line and am satisfied with it. This product is so simple that it seems like the drugstore brands should be able to knock it off pretty easily. If they did, I would convert for a lower price, but this stuff may never run out. FOLLOW-UP: I have stopped reaching for this. I prefer MAC fluidline in Graphic Brown because it makes a more opaque line.