MAC Select Sheer Pressed Powder

Talc, Octyldodecyl lactate, Silica, Nylon-12, Isononyl isononanoate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbyl palmitate, Lecithin, Polyperfluoroethoxymethoxy difluoroethyl PEG Phosphate, Zein, Tetrasodium EDTA, Chlorphenesin, Potassium sorbate, [ /- Mica, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, Carmine, chromium oxide greens, ferric ferrocyanide, manganese violet, red 6 Lake, red 7 Lake, read 30 Lake, yellow 5 Lake, ultra marines] (as of 7/2015)

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I was really excited to buy this product as Ive seen very gud reviews here in makeup alley. I went to Garden City and they had it for only $37 but when I was finally gunna buy it, I went to David Jones in the city it costed 44 bucks! Like wow. When I first tried it on, I gotta admit I was disappointed especially when my mum mentioned that my 11-dollar garnier bb cream was much better on me. I was planning to exchange it for the mac BB cream compact bc I also think that I look better when my face is dewy. I finally decided to keep it and put it on its on. I actually looks SO GOOOD with bronzer powder and highlighter! So it was DEFINITELY a mistake to have doubted this amazing product. I just wasnt used to the MATTE look. But now that I know how to put it on properly, im def gunna buy this again and again. WORTH THE 44 BUCKS :*

on 4/21/2014 6:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I bought this after seeing someone at my work wearing it. She had perfect matte skin with literally no flaws. I was a little shy to ask her what she used because I had no idea who she was, but her skin looked literally perfect. So I asked her what foundation she used and she said it was by MAC and that she uses nothing else. For a second I thought she was going to say MSF but she said studio powder. The original studio powder looks caked on most people. So I was a little skeptical and she ended up showing me the compact. It was this one.

So I finally bought it and I hate the MSF but OMG. This is AMAZING. I love it!!! Perfect amount of coverage and it keeps your face matte. I don't like wearing liquid foundation & I hate a dewy finish. Because I get oily on my T-Zone, I have a hard time finding something that keeps that & my eyelids matte. This does the job! I like seeing how people use products so I'll just tell you my routine.

On a clean, prepped face :
I use studio fix concealer in NC20 under my eyes , nose bridge , forehead , chin and blemishes.
Then using my Too Faced Teddybear Kabuki I swirl it in the Select Sheer Powder in NC40 and apply that to my entire face.
Using the elf contouring brush, I apply Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Bronzer on my forehead, the hollows of my cheeks and my jawline. If I wanna have a glow, I swipe Nars highlighter to my cheekbones, nose bridge, forehead & chin then use a blush of any kind.
This is what I do and I always get compliments on how nice my skin looks!
Good Job MAC.

on 12/25/2013 10:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

My skin gets super dry in winter, leaving me unable to wear most powders on my face. However, I like to set my "foundation" so this leaves me with a dilemma. Not anymore. I got this product at a CCO on a whim because I needed a new pressed powder and had never tried a MAC powder before. I am very pleased. I got the shade NC5, which I was worried would be too light but didn't appear so in the pan. It matches perfectly. I use it with a brush (not the powder poof it comes with) and it works fine. The powder is incredibly smooth and adds just a touch of extra coverage on top of my foundation. It hasn't broke me out and best of all doesn't dry out or extenuate the dryness on my skin! I will probably need to switch powders come the summer because I tend to get oily in my T zone but as a "dry" time powder, this stuff is perfect.

I picked this up at a CCO as a replacement for my Blot Powder that was on its way out. While I do still love the Blot Powder, this gives a bit more coverage throughout the day. I don't find that it breaks down badly (I've got a super oily t-zone and cheeks), and it keeps me shine-free for a reasonable amount of time. With the amount of oil that my stupid face produces, I don't expect miracles, lol. I love the packaging of MAC powders, and that's why I continue to splurge on them vs. something cheaper and just as good at the drugstore. That's silly of me, I know. But they just LOOK nice when you whip them out of your bag to touch up!

on 9/29/2013 5:53:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

My shade: NC 15. I originally bought this while having a "MAC Attack" & expected it to sit unused in my makeup drawer as I really only Wear Makeup once or twice a month. But I had started wearing MAC BB Cream (Light Plus) a few months ago on workdays to even out a little redness & for the extra sunscreen. I decided to set the BB with this powder & was in love. I have pretty great skin 95% of the time & this combo made it look flawless. I love the sheer coverage I get applying this with a big fluffy powder brush. I get tons on compliments on my skin & I'm pretty sure no-one realizes I'm getting any help. Which is perfect when I'm not doing my eyes or blush. When I want to look like I'm Wearing Makeup, I've actually given up my MAC loose mineral foundation in favor of a heavier application of SSPP, usually with the complexion brush by Sephora.

on 8/27/2013 4:12:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

The top criteria when searching for good powder, for me, is its ability to reduce the shininess on my super oily skin. This MAC powder did a great job. I bought it in NC30 (while my skin is more on NC35) because by far I always pick the darker shade for foundation and it makes my skin look dull if I wear the 'true' shade of my skin for powder. Thus, I bought NC30 and it successfully makes my skin brighter. It also lasts all day, and I do not need to touch up, only blot my face once after having my lunch and re-apply my lipstick. Okay, this is MAC, and it supposed to do such great job, but one more point that stands out is because this powder minimizes my large pores! Unbelievable! It really does. This quickly becomes my HG powder, and will definitely repurchase. Maybe next time I'll just buy NC35 or NC37 and on the other hand I can find foundation that is slightly lighter than my skin color. Love this a lot!

This is my favorite powder of all time, and man have I tried a lot of powders. For a reference point, I have combination oily-dehydrated skin that's really sensitive and breakout prone. This powder has done absolutely nothing to hurt my skin, and, for the record, I'm crazy neurotic about skin care. This powder is fantastic; it doesn't make me breakout or clog my pores; it's finely milled, but not too fine that it gets everywhere; it has the perfect amount of coverage, and best of all, it gives your skin a perfect finish. It blurs your pores, doesn't accentuate dry patches, and it really just looks great on the skin. I've tried other MAC powders, and a whole mess of high end and drugstore ones, and none of them worked for me- too heavy, too light, too coarse, oxidizes, weird color selection, no lasting power... after I found this, though, I haven't felt the need to go for anything else. It's definitely my HG- it even comes with a really good powder puff! The MAC powder puffs tend to be terrible and distribute product unevenly, but the one that's included with the Select Sheer powder is soft and cushiony, and does pretty well in a pinch. I usually just use a fluffy brush lightly, though, which works best for me.
Definitely give this one a go; such an underrated product!

on 7/14/2013 7:00:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

LOVE THIS SO MUCH. Controls my shine in the hot humid Singapore weather and does not cost a bomb or clog my pores unlike other powders. Will definitely repurchase!!

on 6/13/2013 11:02:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

So not impressed MAC. I dropped it onto carpet the first day I got it and it chipped straight away. Carried it around in my handbag for touchups and after about a month I opened my makeup bag to find it in a million pieces. What a waste! Really not good enough for the price I paid, I wasn't throwing it around either. While I don't like to say it - my Rimmel Stay Matte powder is still in the pan and I think does a better job on T-Zone touchups than this pressed powder.

Maybe I got a bad one - but for an item that is designed for continent touchups it left me out of pocket. The powder is nothing special, my skin is normal and I think the lasting power of this is not that impressive.

I recommend NARS powder - I have loose powder and it is heavenly, going to skip MAC for that next I think!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Eyes: Violet

This is my HG face powder. I've used it for about a decade now (on my 4th compact). It's perfectly matte, goes on flawlessly, and never looks cakey if I apply it with a brush. You do want to make sure you get a good skintone match - this powder seems a lot more fickle about that than others I've used. (I had a tan last year, went to about NW20, and my NW15 looked noticeably blue and ashy.) There's really nothing bad about it, though I get the best results using a brush instead of the sponge included. I've had a hard time buying it the last year or so. I'm not sure if it's being discontinued, but I really hope not.