September 16, 2014 | 1630 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Mason Pearson - Handy Bristle & Nylon Brush

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/18/2008 11:08:00 AM More reviews by Tess35

I am Asian with short one-length haircut that is about my chin-area. I do not even consider my hair thick. My hair is naturally straight in all parts except for the back that is slightly, again slightly, wavy. It is also non-chemically treated and naturally glossy.

I bought this hairbrush for the joy of brushing. But I did not get what I was looking for or paid dearly for. If I do not part my hair into lower and upper portions, there is no way that this brush can penetrate my scalp. I also do not notice the smoothing effect as my hair is already glossy pre-ownership of this hairbrush. I do not intend to give this baby any lippy rating at all but for the benefit of doubt (as fellow MUAers love this hairbrush), I am leaving a one-lippy rating which I may update soon.

I am thinking of the nylon version but I am not willing to fork out too much dough again for something that I do not try first. Ladies, try this hairbrush first before placing order especially if you are buying from overseas on-line merchants.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/19/2007 8:42:00 AM More reviews by halogens

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm a bit torn when it comes to this one. On the one hand it's very high quality so in that sense I do think it warrants its price. On the other hand my hair is way too thick for this brush. Maybe the largest nylon mix brush would be enoguh, but I doubt it. I use it if I want really smooth hair when I blow dry, and since I got a nice discount I don't regret buying it. But I can't use it to detangle or just brush my hair. I can't even feel it on my scalp, but I have pretty thick hair...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2006 3:57:00 PM More reviews by swampbird

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

what a wonderful Valentine's day present!! =) i just received a gorgeous ivory MP brush, and i absolutely love it. it definitely "cleans" your hair a lot more than other brushes since the bristles are much closer together. i was embarrassed by how much sweater lint and stuff came out the first time i used it!! also, i think the "Handy" size is really the perfect size. the little stumpy handle on the "Pocket" sized ones is a bit uncomfortable to hold, and the larger ones (such as the "Popular" size) are just awkward. who needs a brush the size of a dinner plate?
the little cleaner-brush that came with it is actually very useful -- i even use it on my other brushes!
one tip, though: MP brushes are almost literally half the US price if you buy them from the UK or Europe. my fiance bought mine from a wonderful shop in Amsterdam, but before that, i was seriously considering buying one from UK websites like hqhair.com or escentual.co.uk or from UK sellers on eBay.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/10/2005 10:14:00 PM More reviews by so_fee_ahh

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I just got this (wondering what the hell all the hype was about) on www.tressence.com. That's the cheapest site so far I was able to find and plus, it was free shipping and handling so how could I go wrong there? Haha, my roomie freaked when I told her the price...she's one of those FRUGAL chicks. But actually, the price didn't really bother me all that much. I've been looking into the brush market for a HIGH QUALITY brush and this seemed to be one of those. I've been using it for about a week and already I notice that my hair is a lot softer and a little bit shinier? Yeah, I think so really. I don't think it's the ultimate miracle though. You sorta have to be using the right hair treatments and products in conjunction with this brush but if you do so, you'll find you have sexy, soft flowy hair. At least to me...def check it out if you can. On that site I just posted, you have, like, a month I think to return it if you are not completely satisfied. The only thing is they will take 25% of whatever you paid since once you return it, they have nothing to do to it but throw it out (obviously they're not going to resell it, lol).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2005 5:31:00 PM More reviews by LizzieDahlin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought the frederic fekkai version at sephora for 85 dollars and when i opened the box, the brush was bent up and smashed, and the plastic felt cheap. So on a whim i checked these brushes out at Neimans... i never thought i would even consider spending this much for a brush, but my hair is very long (mid back) and i'm trying to keep it healthy.. brushing with this brush feels like heaven.. and it really penetrates to the scalp.. i have thick, fine hair and this makes it beautiful and tangle free quite easily.. this is not an 'everyone has to have' item but its worth it for those with long delicate hair. and the retro instructions and tips that come with it are worth 20 bucks of the purchase price at least..

rated 4 of 5 on 7/5/2005 4:30:00 PM More reviews by ecaldwell

This is not a comment on the quality of the brush, it's quite a fine brush, but I found that the bristle & nylon was not stiff enough to penetrate my hair to the scalp. It's a pretty brush, though, but it doesn't feel quite durable in my hands.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2005 6:14:00 PM More reviews by signsoflife

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love my Handy brush! It's the best brush I've ever used (it's also the most expensive brush I've ever used, but that's a different story). Generally I have long hair, and even though my hair has no volume (it's stick straight) and it's completely limp, it's still quite a bit of work to brush through. I used to use those rectangular paddle brushes you can get from the drugstore, but the balls on the bristles would break and my hair would get damaged. I tried using a pure bristle brush (also bought from the drugstore), but it didn't actually brush all of my hair because the bristles were too soft.

This is the perfect brush for my hair because it gets to all of my hair and it doesn't hurt. It even feels like a scalp massage! This brush was as Christmas gift, but if something happened to it I'd definitely repurchase. Otherwise, I expect this brush to last as long as I do.

Edited 14 Aug 2011: My daughter has very fine hair that tangles easily; no amount of conditioner has helped and I find spray-in detangler leaves a strange texture to her hair. Recently I tried my hairbrush on her hair and it works wonders! In a matter of a few brushstrokes, her entire head is detangled! continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2005 2:28:00 AM More reviews by malieboe

I got this as a present from my parents (they found it really weird: what do you like as a birthdaypresent? A brush!). I am using it for a month now and I think I am in love with it! It is really worth the money, it gets all the knots out of my hair so easy!

Will I rebuy? I hope not having to! But if I ever loose it (keep my fingers crossed) I certainly will because I love love love it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2004 3:37:00 PM More reviews by Pheebie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought this little gem over a year ago not long after purchasing (and adoring) my Popular size MP brush. I wanted something a bit smaller to tote around with me, and this one fit the bill. In fact, since I take it with me, I probably use it more than my orinal Popular one, but both are worth their weight in gold since they can get through my thick, naturally wavy-to-curly hair (which most brushes can't). Not to mention this brush makes my hair super shiny on days when I've straightened. A great investment. No regrets.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2003 1:24:00 AM More reviews by airickuh

I got mine off of Ebay. I'm so glad I didn't have to pay retail. I love this brush. I got it right after a bad perm and it was heaven sent, because nothing could get through that rat's nest. Now my hair is back to normal (fine and straight) and I still love it because it never hurts or breaks my hair.