Mason Pearson Handy Bristle & Nylon Brush

4.3

on 9/18/2010 5:17:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I have always had exceptionally thick, coarse, Asian hair (and hope to for many years to come!) and found that my hair was never 'brushed' until I got to this brush. I came across this when an old boss told me that it what she coveted when she was growing up. I have the full size and travel size version of the natural and nylon bristles.
I love how it gets to my scalp and gives it a good rub. I have to brush it from different angles to get different parts of the scalp like i have to approach from underneath my hair to get the bottom half of my scalp.
The result is soft, manageable hair. I feel that the bristles help to spread the natural oil from the scalp down the shaft of the hair.
The only issue I have with this brush is how quickly hair gets tangled but it just goes to show you how thoroughly it actually brushes your hair!
It comes with a brush for the hair brush - cute! It helps to remove all the stuff that gets caught up in the bristles.
I hear that looked after properly, this brush will live a lifetime! That is what I intend to do.

on 9/18/2010 4:10:00 AM

I have read a lot of feedback regarding Mason Pearson brushes and many people have compared them to the Sonya Kushak brush at Target. Well I have owned the SK brush for about three years and up until I got my MP it was my favorite. However, it is not even in the same realm as the MP brush. This brush stimulates my scalp and feels amazing to brush my hair with. The result is smooth, tangle free hair that is more shiny and manageable. I am hoping over time that it will help my hair to grow more quickly due to the stimulation and to keep my ends healthy. Overallt I think the brushes are both good and if you absolutely cannot fathom spending that much money on a brush then stick to the SK. Otherwise, this brush is worth every penny and it will transform your hair for the better.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I had been dithering for ages deciding upon whether to spend this much money on a hairbrush. However, after investing sometime reading reviews of this brush, and seeing Mason Pearson brushes recommended in numerous magazines and top stylists describing it as the 'Bentley of hairbrushes', I decided to purchase. When it arrived it came packaged in a box, the pastel pink coloured hairbrush looked rather retro and pretty. The brush is lightweight, an ample enough size to handle my long waist-length hair, and a portable size to fit into my handbag. I love brushing, it feels soo gentle, words can't describe it. I purchased mine off the HQhair website for 39 - yes, I know, I would never normally spend that much, but now I'm lusting after a larger version to keep on my dressing table...

I want a bigger version now :-)

on 3/9/2010 4:48:00 AM

Although I had reservations about the seemingly cult reputation of Mason Pearson brushes and the prices charged, I am now a firm convert.

For reference, I have very long thick hair that's been protein (keratin) straightened. I find that a few quick brushes makes my hair more neat and "tidy". I did find that there was some static which goes away quite quickly when I hold the hair back in a loose low ponytail and release it again.

I am now contemplating buying a much smaller version to keep in the car and office. For Aussie girls, I managed to get this brush from Peter's of Kensington for $99 (RRP $145 I think).

on 5/18/2008 11:08:00 AM

I am Asian with short one-length haircut that is about my chin-area. I do not even consider my hair thick. My hair is naturally straight in all parts except for the back that is slightly, again slightly, wavy. It is also non-chemically treated and naturally glossy.

I bought this hairbrush for the joy of brushing. But I did not get what I was looking for or paid dearly for. If I do not part my hair into lower and upper portions, there is no way that this brush can penetrate my scalp. I also do not notice the smoothing effect as my hair is already glossy pre-ownership of this hairbrush. I do not intend to give this baby any lippy rating at all but for the benefit of doubt (as fellow MUAers love this hairbrush), I am leaving a one-lippy rating which I may update soon.

I am thinking of the nylon version but I am not willing to fork out too much dough again for something that I do not try first. Ladies, try this hairbrush first before placing order especially if you are buying from overseas on-line merchants.

on 11/19/2007 8:42:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I'm a bit torn when it comes to this one. On the one hand it's very high quality so in that sense I do think it warrants its price. On the other hand my hair is way too thick for this brush. Maybe the largest nylon mix brush would be enoguh, but I doubt it. I use it if I want really smooth hair when I blow dry, and since I got a nice discount I don't regret buying it. But I can't use it to detangle or just brush my hair. I can't even feel it on my scalp, but I have pretty thick hair...

on 2/12/2006 3:57:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

what a wonderful Valentine's day present!! =) i just received a gorgeous ivory MP brush, and i absolutely love it. it definitely "cleans" your hair a lot more than other brushes since the bristles are much closer together. i was embarrassed by how much sweater lint and stuff came out the first time i used it!! also, i think the "Handy" size is really the perfect size. the little stumpy handle on the "Pocket" sized ones is a bit uncomfortable to hold, and the larger ones (such as the "Popular" size) are just awkward. who needs a brush the size of a dinner plate?
the little cleaner-brush that came with it is actually very useful -- i even use it on my other brushes!
one tip, though: MP brushes are almost literally half the US price if you buy them from the UK or Europe. my fiance bought mine from a wonderful shop in Amsterdam, but before that, i was seriously considering buying one from UK websites like hqhair.com or escentual.co.uk or from UK sellers on eBay.

on 9/10/2005 10:14:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I just got this (wondering what the hell all the hype was about) on www.tressence.com. That's the cheapest site so far I was able to find and plus, it was free shipping and handling so how could I go wrong there? Haha, my roomie freaked when I told her the price...she's one of those FRUGAL chicks. But actually, the price didn't really bother me all that much. I've been looking into the brush market for a HIGH QUALITY brush and this seemed to be one of those. I've been using it for about a week and already I notice that my hair is a lot softer and a little bit shinier? Yeah, I think so really. I don't think it's the ultimate miracle though. You sorta have to be using the right hair treatments and products in conjunction with this brush but if you do so, you'll find you have sexy, soft flowy hair. At least to me...def check it out if you can. On that site I just posted, you have, like, a month I think to return it if you are not completely satisfied. The only thing is they will take 25% of whatever you paid since once you return it, they have nothing to do to it but throw it out (obviously they're not going to resell it, lol).

I bought the frederic fekkai version at sephora for 85 dollars and when i opened the box, the brush was bent up and smashed, and the plastic felt cheap. So on a whim i checked these brushes out at Neimans... i never thought i would even consider spending this much for a brush, but my hair is very long (mid back) and i'm trying to keep it healthy.. brushing with this brush feels like heaven.. and it really penetrates to the scalp.. i have thick, fine hair and this makes it beautiful and tangle free quite easily.. this is not an 'everyone has to have' item but its worth it for those with long delicate hair. and the retro instructions and tips that come with it are worth 20 bucks of the purchase price at least..

on 7/5/2005 4:30:00 PM

This is not a comment on the quality of the brush, it's quite a fine brush, but I found that the bristle & nylon was not stiff enough to penetrate my hair to the scalp. It's a pretty brush, though, but it doesn't feel quite durable in my hands.

Top Rated Mason Pearson Products