April 18, 2014 | 2031 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Smashbox - Photo Matte Anti-Shine

rated 1 of 5 on 2/22/2012 2:34:00 AM More reviews by kttaylor10

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I am so incredibly disappointed with this product. I had high hopes after reading so many positive reviews and I finally went out and bought a tube of it this past weekend. I have incredibly oily skin and with my typical makeup routine, I can go about 2-3 hours before I have to blot. I've worn this product a few times and every single time I've become overwhelmingly oily within the hour! I've tried multiple different application techniques when putting on my makeup to see if maybe I've just been applying it wrong, but nothing seems to cut it. My makeup always ends up looking super cakey and unappealing with this. I'll give it another couple tries before I return it, but I can already tell this product isn't the miracle I was hoping for.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/21/2012 11:59:00 AM More reviews by windkey

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is one of the standbys in my small daily makeup array. I don't have really oily skin any more, but I do shine on the forehead and across the nose, and this dulls it the perfect amount, without the dusty look, or ultimately pore-clogging effects (at least on my face) of powder or silicones.
The good:
Just a plain product that does what it says.
No scent.
Nice finish on its own.
Tube container makes it easy to dispense the small amounts I need.
The not perfect:
Dries out a bit towards the end of the tube -- when it starts looking flaky on my skin, I know it's time for a new one.
Can be a bit drying in winter, emphasising the forehead lines more than I would like.
No good for the rare times when I'm actually applying other makeup to my face; leads to sticking and pulling.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2012 5:54:00 PM More reviews by thevnilly

I've always had oily, yet unhappy without a nice thick moisturizer skin. This makes for an additional oily look as the hours pass during the day. Anti-shine does help mattify my skin, but only for a few hours at a time. I only use it on my nose and forehead. I would go ahead and put it on my chin and cheeks too, but unfortunately I suspect something in this occasionally makes me breakout (as I rarely ever break out on my nose & chin, but if I use this a lot I'll get a spot every once in awhile) so I'd rather not put it in my acne prone areas.

Not very fond of the high price tag for such a small tube, but since I use it sparingly it lasts forever. I also like that it comes in a squeezy tube instead of a pump, so you can be more precise with how much you want out.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2012 6:54:00 PM More reviews by jen0farc

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is a fantastic product, that gives my skin a smooth pallate for putting on makeup. It zeroes out my shine and makes my pores appear so much smaller! Definitely like the tube more than the compact.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2011 5:43:00 PM More reviews by biddi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I will never be with out this wee tube of magic ever! Here's my routine for keeping my face shine free. First I wash with what ever cleanser is in the shower, then I tone with Clinique #3 toner, then I apply SK-II essence, then moisterize with MAC oil control lotion. I let all the soak in while I do my hair or make my morning cuppa. Then I add smashbox's anti shine only to the areas I get oily (t zone and a bit on my cheeks) then wait I minute until it dries and goes very smooth to the touch - this is very important to stop it from "balling" up when you apply products on top, I then add benefits porefessional to my nose and cheeks, then apply what ever base I'm wearing that day (I'm wearing skin 79 hot pink bb cream alot seeing as its summer here atm) then conceal with benefit erase paste then power with benefit hello flawless and I'm done and stay shine free much all day which is something that has never happened before!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/30/2011 11:40:00 AM More reviews by Catdevotee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Black

After reading many rave reviews on this primer, I decided to give it a shot. I've been trying to find oil-controlling products (powder, primer etc.) for a long time and I'm still searching.

This primer does give a matt finish at first, but within an hour, my face started to get oily, as usual. Really really disappointed, and I've wasted money on something that doesn't work.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/25/2011 5:26:00 PM More reviews by johnson224life

Expensive but it last a long time (at least 6 months, im guessing) depending how much you use (which doesnt need to be much). I have oily skin but its not as bad as it use to be and this anti shine keeps the shine away for about 3 to 4 hrs! Will be buying again when I run out.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/15/2011 1:31:00 PM More reviews by bluebirdmgc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Great for soaking up oil and evening out skin tone. The plastic tube can make it hard to get the last bit out. I use it in conjunction with Estee Lauder Double Matte pressed powder. Overall, a great product.

UPDATE: I have now been using this product for a year (2 tubes). I started mixing it 50-50 with the Smashbox Photo Finish Primer SPF 15 before applying and it has worked MIRACLES on my very combination skin. I may have to blot once during the day (maybe one day a week), but otherwise I'm oil-free, even when my day ends up being 18 hours long! Before this product, I was blotting an hour after I got out of the shower. Mixing with the other primer has made the product go on extremely smoothly and has eliminated the pilling effect that used to happen when I applied makeup over it. This combination makes my makeup last all day, even through sun, sweat, heat and humidity. Truly a HG product for me!!

One lippie deducted because I have to mix it (not layer, MIX) with the other Smashbox primer as described above to get the HG results.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/8/2011 8:26:00 PM More reviews by bcardwell

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

LOVE IT! The best product that I have found for oil control!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2011 11:02:00 AM More reviews by NualaMaria

I love this primer! You only need the tiniest amount to cover ur whole face, not even pea sized, as a little goes a long way and if you use to much product it sort of flakes of your skin. It's great for mattifying your face, my fine lines were def reduced using this and it does make your foundation last a lot longer / all day! Its pretty pricey but as u only need the tiniest amount the tube will last u ages. Like the packaging, only downside is when you have used up most of the product it is difficult to get the last drop out. def buying this again!