April 18, 2014 | 1970 users online

Pressed Powders - Chanel - Poudre Universelle Compacte

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2013 4:25:00 PM More reviews by sweetsweetchristine

I had my first compact from Chanel together with the Perfection Lumiere as a birthday present. I love this powder. The packaging is so lovely and elegant that I sometimes take it out just to adore it. The powder is very very fine and its almost translucent. It doesn't give you a super matte and powdery finish, in fact, the finish is rather velvety and soft. I found it better to apply with a kabuki brush or tapered powder brush than using the sponge supplied. The only down side of the powder is, due to its very fine texture, and when you apply with a brush, you really have to make sure the brush does not have any oil or liquid stuck on it (from your face or makeup) as it tends to clump and dry to patches if your brush is not completely dry (well the dry patched can be removed by cellotype so it is not the end of the world). Overall, I have a feeling I have just found the powder for life (yup, this is how much I love it!)

rated 4 of 5 on 1/25/2013 9:21:00 PM More reviews by LuxuryLover13

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this compact a few days ago and have been using it every day.
First of all, the packaging is exquisite! Absolutely beautiful!
Secondly, I noticed that it does not come with a brush, unlike the powder foundation compacts. This is a shame as the included sponge is not great.
The now to the powder itself. It is a good powder, but nothing amazing. I feel like the finish it leaves on the skin is not as airbrushed as it could be, as the face still LOOKS powdered. You want it too look natural, not like you have applied powder.
Compared to other powders, it is good and of course it is Chanel so know it is of high quality, however, it is not as amazing as I thought it would be.
Will I still use it? of course! It is still better than cheap drugstore brands! but compared to bobbi brown, clinique, la mer and la prairie, it has a lot of improving to do.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2013 1:11:00 AM More reviews by dollbird

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

Shade 20 Clair for my NC25-30 skin. I was looking for a sheer pressed powder for touchups. This mattifies, making my skin look poreless and radiant (due to very slight sheen of the powder). I like that it is not dead matte. Luxurious packaging typical of Chanel but the puff is really lacking. Overall a very beautiful, finely-milled powder that gives me a soft-focus glow (healthy and luminous; not oily).

rated 3 of 5 on 9/5/2012 1:59:00 AM More reviews by Lakesoverocean

Meh. Sorry, but soooooo much more was expected. Nothing special and for a Chanel product - shouldn't it be?

rated 4 of 5 on 7/3/2012 12:37:00 PM More reviews by Mima25

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

I have this in Translucent 2/ 30 Naturel.
I really like it- it gives a nice glow to my skin.
I use it as a finishing powder- very lightly.
The packaging is very elegant and chic- but of course its chanel.
Only possibly downside is that maybe it's expensive- but of course its chanel ;)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2012 8:10:00 PM More reviews by svmgv

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This does not give any coverage, but mattifies, which is what I think a powder should do. You cannot see any powder on the skin, so finely milled is this stuff, just natural-looking matteness. I had no idea my powders before this were so ashy until I started using it!
One little gripe is that the applicator it comes with is not so great, which it should be for something designed to be applied on-the-go; I don't want to carry a brush too all day. Also would have liked a separate compartment for the applicator, as in NARS powder foundation, but that may have upset the proportions of the beautiful packaging...
Definitely expensive, but it just feels so luxurious to use...

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2012 6:18:00 PM More reviews by tlove100

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Expensive but completely worth it for quality and colour. The powder gives a light/medium coverage but it feels lovely and works brilliantly with my foundation (Revlon Colourstay). I mostly use it in the centre diamond of my face and on my tzone and it has been fantastic in minimizing the oil on my face. I use a Constance Carol setting powder on top to keep it all in place but it has proven to be worth the money! It is travel friendly and the compact is really cute. I apply with a mac 190 brush and it doesn't have too much residue and it lasts for most of the day- I might require some blotting powder on a fast paced day. I use 40 Dore (my colour is NC43) and it blends beautifully for a matte coverage that is natural looking. I use a large blending brush with my finisher for a more balanced finish.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2012 4:05:00 AM More reviews by Svetlana7311

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I was running out of my favorite merle norman luxiva pressed powder and I got this one. This powder is no better than some drugstore brands. Actually I used way better quality cheap powders before (rimmel stay matte, maybelline dream matte). It gives terrible coverage, actually you can powder yourself all day long, it won't cover a thing, it reminded me prestige powder foundation, awful. It applies very weird almost like fluffy starch, finish is terrible, it makes pores look huge, HUGE like this OOOO. Just a couple of minutes after application I looked like a had a jaundice, yep, some powders turn orange, this one turned dark yellow, Chanel couldn't test their powder oxidized? it would be the easiest thing to check, I wonder what do they test then??? so.. unfortunately no healthy glow for me. I got 30 naturel translucent 2. I would not recommend it to anyone. I prefer pressed powders, but if I am not able to find merle on ebay (they don't have an online store) I will use sorme mineral secret loose powder, it's the best loose powder I tried so far, way WAY better than any chanel, dior, lancome or other low/high end powders.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2012 6:50:00 PM More reviews by nattyngeorge

I really like this powder. I like applying it over my foundation with a kabuki brush, and buff it into my face in circular motions. It leaves my face matte without making my skin look dull and flat. It looks very satiny and natural. It basically does exactly what it says. I just think it's a little expensive for what it is.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2012 10:15:00 PM More reviews by swtxos

I feel Chanel's powder compacts are the most iconic compacts in the world. It's simple, sleek and elegant. I've only purchased my first powder compact 3 months ago, and have been using it almost every day to set my makeup.

The finish of this powder is natural-matte, not flat-matte. It allows the natural skin to show through so you don't look too powdery or caked on. It stays on my skin for approximately 4 hours before I have to blot again, which is good enough for me. I know it's not an extremely long wearing powder, nor is it the most oil-absorbing, so if you have oily skin I would not recommend it.

Overall I give it a 4/5 because I do like this powder and would definitely repurchase it. I previously used Estee Lauder's Aeromatte, which I liked, but it didn't wear long on me at all (2 hours max before I have to reapply). This Chanel compact costs approximately $50CAD and is in my opinion worth every penny.