Clarins Santal Face Treatment oil

4.5

Corylus Avellana (Hazel) Seed Oil, Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Oil, Elettaria Cardamomum Oil, Carum Petroselinum (Parsley) Seed Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Fragrance, Linalool, Limonene, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Citral.

on 1/13/2013 11:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This is my first facial oil, and I'm converted. I've been using it for about six months. I don't use this every night: I alternate it with a retinol (currently, LRP Redermic).

It smells lovely and is very relaxing: it makes for a nice ritual in the evening before bedtime. But, more importantly, it is soothing on my dry skin and has helped mitigate the dryness, especially now that it is winter (I've been able to use lighter moisturizers this year than last). It absorbs incredibly quickly and leaves me skin feeling very soft and comfortable.

on 11/10/2012 7:50:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

First, let me just say that I'm a huge fan of Clarins's facial oils. I've used the Blue Orchid Oil for absolutely ages and just love it. In the hot, humid summer, I switch to Lotus for July and August. I truly love these products. Through a strange set of circumstances, I ended up with THREE unopened bottles of Blue Orchid Oil (one I'd bought, since I always keep a bottle in reserve and I'd just opened a bottle, so got another one to keep on hand) and two that I'd received as birthday gifts (my friends know how much I like this oil, so 2 of them got it for me for my birthday 3 weeks ago). Since there is a limit to how many bottles of this oil that I can keep "in reserve", I exchanged one for the Santal version, which I've been wanting to try, since I'm getting older and my skin is getting a bit drier.

I've used this product for 2 nights, which perhaps isn't a fair test but I have to say that so far, I'm a bit disappointed. I don't find it all that moisturizing or even all that soothing (it is supposed to help with redness and broken capillaries; I realize that nothing will fix the latter problem but it doesn't even leave behind that soothed, less red look that several other of my HG products do). My skin doesn't have the sort of plumped, softened feel in the morning that it does when I use the Blue Orchid Oil. As I say, perhaps 2 nights isn't a fair test and maybe my expectations are a bit too high and I need to give it a bit more time. So I'll continue using this product (nothing inherently "wrong" with it - hasn't broken me out or irritated my skin) and edit my review if things change in the next few weeks or so. I have to say, I really LOVE the dropper application (while I've used the Clarins facial oils for years, this is the first one I've used in the new packaging with the glass dropper. Way to go, Clarins, but this was waaaay overdue!)

UPDATE: (Dec. 30/2012) Winter has hit with a vengeance in the past week or so and with it, the cold, harsh, drying effects it brings with it. I have been using this treatment oil nightly, sometimes with other products, sometimes on its own. While I've upped my rating from 3 lippies to 4, I have to say, it doesn't perform as nicely for me as the Blue Orchid Oil even though the Santal is meant for drier skins while the Blue Orchid is more for any dehydrated skin. I will use this up but don't think I will repurchase. Blue Orchid really works better for me. And it smells nicer too!

on 11/4/2012 8:38:00 PM

When this product first came out, it did not have a dropper with it, it only had a screw top. This made it quite difficult to use as you had to tip the bottle onto your finger or palm. I recently started using this again because I was having a major problem with peeling skin after using Afirm 3x. It was a product I used about 10 years ago and was reassured when I opened the bottle and that old familiar smell was there. Some people may not like the smell as it is quite strong, but do not let that deter you because the oil itself works amazingly well on all skin types. I wasn't really expecting miracles, I just wanted my skin to settle down and stop peeling. I don't know whether it was the Santal Oil or whether the Afirm actually did its job in the long run, but I am continuing to use Santal because it was very soothing on my skin and I use it in conjunction with the lighter strength Afirm (1x) on alternating nights. The real beauty of Santal is that along with really moisturising you skin and being very gentle and non-irritating is that a little goes a very long way. I only use 6 drops for my entire face and neck. The new design with the dropper means that the bottle is going to last for ages, so it is great value for money. I prefer the older Clarins products to their newer ones. I really think they knew what they were doing 10-20 years ago. Some of their newer products miss the mark quite a bit, but the old gems like Santal Oil are amazingly effective and that is why they are still around. Love this oil!

on 10/29/2012 5:08:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I ADORE this oil, it is one of my HG products since starting to use it in the spring. For a while I used Weleda rose oil capsules, then later on the Decleor rose d'orient balm, but this is actually even better for my sensitive rosacea prone skin. I feel like it is not as heavy as other similar oil products are, and it still deeply nourishes my skin, plumps it up, calms it down, and warms it (but not in a burning way). I use it mostly at night without any other cream, but have also tried layering or mixing it with a day cream/ sunscreen during the day, and with a Clarins face mask (HydraQuench) during the night - for particularly dehydrated days (e.g. after air travel). It smells beautiful to me, very natural and earthy. I don't mind the price since it makes me so happy! Will repurchase for sure!

on 4/28/2012 5:06:00 PM

Unfortunately this product didn't work for me at all.. I have oily/ combination skin and I really though it would make a difference as I saw amazing reviews on here and through friends. I used it two times just before i went to bed, but it caused my skin to be so oily and red the next day. I had to stop using this as my face felt on fire in the day!:( I love all other Clarins products but this sadly didn't work for me.

on 2/7/2012 10:55:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I recently bought this product after reading the excellent reviews here on MUA.
I have fair skin that has been incredibly dry and flakey during the winter months. My forehead and cheeks were feeling like sandpaper!
I have used it a few times after cleansing before bedtime. It is greasy but it absorbs well so that, by morning, there is no trace left.
It felt nice on the skin.
Lately I have noticed broken capillaries near my mouth and on my cheeks. This is pretty upsetting and I think it's my own fault for using abrasive scrubs on my delicate skin.
I'm really hoping this oil will help reduce the broken capillaries!
Anyone have experience with this problem?
Thank you.

on 1/1/2012 4:02:00 PM

Saved my skin. I used this about hmm 5 years ago when my fair, sensitive skin started to become really thin and reddish- a lot of tiny, broken veins around the nose. I thought I was doomed..tried many other pharmaceutical creams etc...until I found THIS product. Used the whole bottle, every day, maybe twice a day and in less than a month my face was visibly better...and after a few months it was completely healed. I could not believe it...
Now, after 5 years I'm going to use this again as I have noticed a few broken veins around my nose (but nothing like the first time surely).
I'm so grateful for this.

on 11/12/2011 12:16:00 AM

I had this oil in my regular nighttime rotation for a few years. I think I took it for granted. Once I ran out, I decided not to buy again. By that time I was using jojoba oil regularly and figured it was a cheaper and equally good option when I felt I needed 'oil'. I missed the heavenly smell of Santal, but i figured quality oil was quality oil. Now that summer is over and winter is stressing my skin, no matter how much or how often i use the jojoba or the Dr. Haushka's Moisturizing mask, I yearn for Santal.

I think the Santal is thinner and more penetrating than jojoba. It also has a calming and plumping and glowy effect in the morning that jojoba does not. It feels more nourishing and healing. Don't get me wrong, I love jojoba as a straightforward oil to 'seal' my skin after a shower. But Santal is so much more.

on 11/10/2011 9:10:00 AM

For $50 US, I am not sure I ever would have got this on my own. I decided to take the plunge and picked it out as a birthday present.

The smell is intoxicating. Uplifting lavender, fresh cardamom, and soothing sandalwood. I smell all three, but it is not overpowering. When I use this, any dry patches are gone, and I think I look less tired. Maybe its more of a sensory soother, but I have really enjoyed it.

I really don't get why they would make this a pour-out bottle without any sort of stopper, like you would get in an essential oil. You probably could make this yourself too. But if you have a chance to indulge, I recommend it. It works better for me than the Hydraquench Creme.

It will last forever, so on a cost per use, its great little soothing treat. And I like telling myself its sorta ~natural~. :-) One lippie off for the bottle design!

on 7/21/2011 8:43:00 AM

I've always liked the idea of using a nicely scented oil on my face, but its hard to find a really good one that is meant for daily/nightly use AND works. I use santal huile every morning after cleansing and it absorbs pretty quickly, leaving a soft sheen over my skin - I've been called 'glowy' a couple of times too! It hasn't caused problems with my super-sensitive, acne-prone skin, so I'm already in love with this product. It leaves the skin feeling very comfortable and soft, and has already started to clear up the redness around my cheeks AND -another great feature - NO pore-clogging or white milia popping up anywhere!
Price-wise, its pretty hard these days to actually get what you pay for, and though it is slightly expensive, it is definitely worth purchasing! Plus I've heard this lasts forever.
I can see why people find the bottle tricky - I tend to hold it tight against the palm of my hand and turn upside down a couple of times to get the right amount - that way it never spills and I never get too much on my hands

Aaand i love the faint cardamom smell, it reminds me of my grandmother :D

For redness caused by sensitivity and overuse of products, this doesn't seem like the most obvious choice, but definitely give it a try - I have the most unpredictable skin ever and it works for me!

Popular Treatments (Face)