August 20, 2014 | 1955 users online

Treatments - Creative Nail Design - Solar Balm

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2008 4:56:00 AM More reviews by swirlingblacklily

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I was initially on the fence about this product. To me, it has kind of a weird consistency -- it melts almost on contact, so it has more "slip" than some other cuticle products and is a lot less waxy than, say, Burt's Bees. It also absorbs pretty quickly. After a few days of consistent use, though, my cuticles are looking better, and now I think I actually prefer it to BB because of the lighter consistency and milder scent (although I like the smell of BB, it can be a bit strong; when I'm using a product in public, I don't always want to broadcast it to everyone around me).

I prefer this to the original Solar Oil because of the convenience factor. It's also easier to just swipe my finger across the top of the product and apply, rather than worrying about whether I'm applying the right amount of oil.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2007 4:08:00 PM More reviews by mumu81202

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this stuff. I'm not good about using hand/body lotion, much less conditioning my nails and cuticles, but I do remember to use this. I hate cuticle oils, since they're messy and difficult for me to figure out how much to apply. This is super-crazy-easy.

A teensy amount of balm out of the tin(say, half a small pea) is all ya need for your whole hand(sometimes both). It will melt with your body's temperature, making it easy to rub onto your nails and cuticles. I tend to continue down my finger to my knuckles if I've extra product. Leave it alone, and my nails suck it in quickly, easily less than 2-3 minutes. I like that I can take this balm anywhere without spilling, and it makes a good lip balm too (nice slight shine, light slick feel).

Oh, and about the price, I got both of mine from a discount internet nail supply and it was less than $5 including shipping.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/7/2007 12:00:00 PM More reviews by amya

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Love this! I have used the Solar Oil and liked that too, but is too messy for me. This is easy to apply and not too "gooey". Love the smell! I got this on sale, so it was about 1/2 the price as it usually is.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/5/2007 10:27:00 PM More reviews by Mel_C_home

I just got a tin as a Christmas gift and so far, I'm very satisfied with it. Its very smooth and easily absorbs into my cuticles. Someone posted that theirs was runny? I think they got a bad tin because mine has a great consistency and its easy to work with. It is oily obviously, so what I like to do is hit my cuticles with the balm then apply lotion to my entire hands. I've been using Burts Bees Lemon Butter and this gives it a run for the money.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2006 9:44:00 PM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

If you love Solar Oil, with it's yummy almondy scent - this is the solid version in a tin. A wonderful, hydrating oil-based balm for nourishing cuticles and the nail plate.

As usual, Creative Nail products and high quality and well packaged. You get what you pay for - but try a beauty wholesaler or ebay for good values.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/26/2006 11:09:00 PM More reviews by hotchica104

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I like this product, also. Solar Balm is basically portable Solar Oil, as another reviewer reported. When I travel, cuticle oils can be a little messy, but I have found that this product works just as good as Solar Oil. It makes my cuticles softer, prevents nasty hangnails, and I think it also conditions the nails too. A few downsides are that the pot that the product comes in is really tiny and it's a little pricey. Other than that, this product is excellent and I will be purchasing again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2005 9:58:00 AM More reviews by Suki73

I like to keep some sort of cuticle moisturizer on hand and this is my latest purchase. I usually use Burt's Bees or Watkin's (good stuff) but wanted to try something new. I like this product so far. I find the scent is nice and very subtle, and my nails are left feeling conditioned but not greasy. Expensive for what you get; Burt's costs a third of this. But - I do find it to be more absorbant, and I am happy with how my cuticles look. May repurchase but I'd like to try regular Solar Oil first. There are just too many products to try!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2005 10:37:00 AM More reviews by scaly

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It's pricy (and marked down for that), but it's basically portable Solar Oil. And that makes it great - it is one of the best nail moisturizers on the planet.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2003 7:45:00 PM More reviews by smee123

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'd have to say this is better than Solar Oil, but nothing great. I like the thickness of it better than the Solar Oil.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2003 9:43:00 AM More reviews by jalin

This did not live up to the beloved Solar Oil. It was very runny and gooey. I didn't feel like it sunk into my nails at all. It is also pricier than Solar Oil but nowhere near as good. I would pass on this.