MAC Viva Glam III

4.5

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I hate to break the streak of glowing reviews but this is yet another underwhelming MAC product for me. As of late, I've decided to stop being a gloss girl and get into wearing a proper lipstick. I generally lean toward glosses because I'm not big on wearing in your face colors on my lips (call it extreme conditioning from my mom who always comments on people wearing "obvious" makeup) but I've decided it's time to branch out. By branch out, I mean trying to break away from wearing 90s brown lippies that I always felt were safe and try some nudes, plums and maybe even a pink or two.

On my quest to find a nice plummy lipstick, I found reviews about Viva Glam III that claim this color is universally flattering. I decided to buy a tube despite my shaky history with MAC products. Everyone seemingly loves everything MAC and shouts their praises from the rooftop but try as I might, I can't get into anything they put out - especially the lipsticks. I find them to be terribly drying, gritty and no matter what shade I pick, completely unflattering on me. While I am self proclaimed gloss girl, I have bought four or five MAC lipsticks in the past but never cared for them (again, the drying and grit factor) and Viva Glam III is no different. The color is a tad too loud for me but I found that if I apply it, blot and apply some Chapstik or a gloss, the color acts as a flattering, plummy stain. I found that I usually end up doing this with every MAC lipstick I buy which is rather pricey (and silly) so I believe this will be my last MAC purchase.

I love that every single penny of Viva Glam lipsticks go to AIDS charities and while I love the whole hip concept of MAC in general, I'm finally just going to admit that this line ain't for me. Unless they change the formula of their lipsticks and cut way, way down on the glitter in the Lipglass, I'll continue my search for the perfect lip product elsewhere.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Update: I played with this lipstick, and I actually got it to work for me. I used some carmex lip balm, Mac Prep +Prime lipstick primer and Vino lip liner it looked good. Got several compliments. Sometimes you just have to play with Mac lipsticks to find out what works.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Amazing lipstick. The color just isn't for me, though.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

The lipstick in the pictures are not VGIII. VG III is a deep brown w a plum cast to it. A great dupe for the LE Fixed on Drama - literally 99.9% the same besides texture. I love it... Very 90s and since I grew up in the 80/90s I love it :). 100% of cost goes to AIDS charity too!!

NC15/NW20

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I saw a fair skinned lady on Instagram post this color and it looked very vampy and sexy so that was the look that I was going for. However after putting it on, it looked like a very sexy perfect red on my dark skin. JACKPOT!! I use it with the Currant pencil & Desire Lipglass, and it's a showstopper indeed. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This is my go to color when I wanna do a darker look... Line my lips with night moth and add this and blend tooooo perfect!!! Great color for darker skin ladies

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Love the formula of all the Viva Glam lipsticks. When you go darker, you want matte, IMO. The color is different for me as I am normally a red lipstick girl (I wear Viva Glam 1 as my every day) but the SA talked me into this and it's pretty for a change. The swatch shown is way off. This is a plummish hue;not anywhere as vivid as shown. I like that I can do a more dramatic eye with this lipstick, as opposed to a red lip, so I will probably wear this mainly at night.

My favorite lipstick of all time. I am very pale with reddish brown hair and grey eyes and it seriously looks better than any other lipstick I have tried. It's a raisiny red that just happens to complement my complextion perfectly...which is rare! It is on the darker end of the spectrum but is totally acceptable for daily wear. Typical MAC: matte, Long lasting, can be drying at times

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I am definitely not a lipstick person, although I have had various love affairs with different glosses and lipsticks throughout my makeup wearing years. On a whim, my friend convinced me to borrow her Viva Glam III, and I fell in love. I have really never thought of myself as the kind of person who wears dark lipstick, but it is flattering and not so 'goth' that I feel uncomfortable. It doesn't hurt that she shade is pretty universally flattering. It looks good on me (and I'm very fair with pink undertones), my friend (olive skin with yellow undertones), and another friend of ours who has a medium-dark complexion. I love that it gives back to charity, and I will definitely be buying this again!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Gorgeous. Kind of a universal flatterer. This colour has a few different colours in it, I'm sure it'd look great on almost anyone.

Great staying power. A soft almost-red, matte. Dress up or down. Classic style.

Yeah, I'd say it's definitely darker and less vivid than the swatch, but equally lovely, and you can't beat the smooth velvety matte look. It doesn't seem to need a liner, either.

Winner!