August 23, 2014 | 1775 users online

Eyeliner - Guerlain - Loose Kohl

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2008 9:58:00 PM More reviews by panda__eyes

It was a bit scary sticking this wand so closely to the eye but I got used to it. In the beginning, I was on the fence with this eyeliner because the colour was absolutely beautiful and it defined my eyes so well...but it smudged underneath my eyes (not the smoky look that many reviewers seem to get).
So, I stopped using this until today... I put it on (just for fun) and then washed my face... and WOW, absolutely beautiful. This probably sounds weird but washing my face (not with makeup remover cleansers btw but I use boscia's cleanser) erased the smudged part underneath my eyes but left everything else super nice and defined...and untouched. SMUDGING PROBLEM SOLVED!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/18/2008 9:41:00 AM More reviews by tijanarm

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I posted this review under Noir, but I am copying it here as well:
Yes, yes, yes! My HG eye makeup ever since I discovered Kohls. Interestingly enough, I bought this in Teal first, but I love Noir (black) the most, maybe b/c I just generally prefer black liners around my brown eyes, maybe b/c in the past (before Kohls) I had to be REALLY careful with coloured eye makeup due to allergies... Well, none of that with Loose Kohls!!!! Here is why I like Loose Kohls (and specifically the Noir version):
1) This has cut down the time for my eye makeup SIGNIFICANTLY. It now literally takes me max. 2 minutes to do my eyes (I am sure everyone has seen the video that circulates around on the best way to apply this the oriental way - thank you to the lady who did this!!!!)
2) I have ABOSLUTELY no allergic reaction to this
3) My brown eyes look GORGEOUS with this and some mascara - better than with anything else: sultry, sexy, not overdone, yet noticeable
4) This lasts and lasts on my eyes, with maybe a minimal touch up before I leave from work at night (and only if I'm going out). In this regard, the Noir has the best staying power of all Kohls
Is it difficult to apply? Maybe in the beginning, but it took me only 5 attempts and a watching of a video to become a pro at this. The key, in order to ensure no product falls onto your cheeks, is to TAP the excess product from the wand. As the wand gets wet from your waterline, it tends to accumulate a lot of product and that is what falls onto your cheeks. If you tap the excess (while the wand is still half-way in the bottle so you don't throw away product), you will have absolutely no problem with product falling onto your cheeks. In my Teal review I also mentioned that for those of you who bought this and aren't happy or can't do the oriental method, I suggest mixing the product with a drop of water and using it as a regular EXTREMELY longlasting eyeliner. This product would get 10 lippies for me if they were available :-) but I agree that there is a learning curve that needs to be overcome to learn how to use it. However, once you learn, I am sure you will love it more than anything else!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/13/2008 4:11:00 PM More reviews by mcorreia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

Sorry to ruin the fun but i find this "loose eye liner kohl" totally useless. I got this in black and while it took much more time for applying than a regular kohl pencil, the final result was really meh. It does stick to skin but in a way I'd consider sloppy with the pigments hanging there randomly..., there was not even smoked out trace.
Surprinsingly applying this in the waterline wasn't "painful" neither did it cause irritations.
This being said I'm sticking with my regular pencil kohl which is more precise, quicker to apply and more versatile

rated 4 of 5 on 6/11/2008 7:12:00 PM More reviews by algreen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this because of all the great MUA reviews. I'm kind of on the fence about it though. If I could give it 3.5 stars, I would. I adore the packaging, but I haven't really been able to master the technique of applying this stuff. I don't wear eyeliner on my waterline at all, so applying this the "eastern" way doesn't really work for me. I prefer to just wear eyeliner on my upper outer rim, so I usually draw a line with the wand. This, however, is not easy. The main problem is that it makes a mess -- I usually have little bits of eyeliner all over my cheekbones when I'm done applying. It's also pretty impossible for me to draw a staight line with this stuff. Luckily, it smudges really easily with a smudge brush. But, when I smudge it, it kind of gives me a softer look, and I prefer more of a bold dark line, than a softer smudgy line. So, I usually end up using this on days when I want a softer look. It does have pretty good staying power, but not as good as my beloved Colorstay liquid liner. I will probably never run out of this stuff because a little goes a long way, but if I do run out, I probably won't repurchase. I think there are cheaper, less messy, better eyeliner options out there.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2008 3:05:00 PM More reviews by jruntyl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have this product in two colors: Noir, and new for summer 2008 is Oriental Metal. I have reviewed the Noir, this is a review of the color Oriental Metal. It is a beautiful, dark grey/light black color. It is much lighter in color than the Noir, which is dark black. The Oriental Metal goes on sort of taupe/grey with one swipe, if you reapply a second time, it (obviously) is a little darker grey. Almost light black. The same goes for this review as for the review I did of the Noir. Same packaging, same for application, etc. I am able to apply it the "eastern" way which is to put wand into inner corner of eye, close eye and swipe wand toward outer corner of eye. It lines the inner rims of eyes and will give you a little "fall out" around outer edges of eyes; for that smudgy dark eyed look we are all after! It is a great product, and for 43 year old women, with tiny lines around eye lids, it is so easy to put on and wear. I prefer this color for day time as it is not as dark and dramatic as the Noir. The Noir is perfect for evenings out. You do not even need any other eye make up as this makes enough of a statement! LOVE IT!! One thing though, I think this color (Oriental Metal) is limited time only, for summer 2008. So, hurry!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2008 8:11:00 AM More reviews by britnay_77

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have this in Brun, Bleu and Noir. The Bleu is my fave, a gorgeous turquoise colour... it takes a while to get the application technique right but once you do the effect is really quite striking... once i perfect the application I'm sure this will be 5 stars...will update when that day comes ;)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2008 11:30:00 PM More reviews by BCbabe

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Ack! I just couldn't stand it anymore so I caved and got 4 of these from a wonderful seller on Amazon ~ Black, Bleu, Oriental Bronze and Glow. And then they sat in their pretty little boxes for a few months until I got up the nerve to try them. Doh! What was I afraid of? These are really gorgeous! I'm wearing the Bleu one today and it's been going strong for hours, worn on my inner rim. I apply them the Eastern way, positioning the stick on my lower lashline, closing my eyes and looking down into a mirror over the sink. This stuff is pretty pigmented and any fall out that fell onto the mirror I was able to pick up with the tip of the stick and apply where I may have missed. I wear contacts as well and these do not irritate at all, seriously. (Though I would probably recommend to apply the liner before your contacts to avoid any pigment getting on them... I did that today by accident but it went away on it's own soon enough and didn't stain the contact or irritate. Quite a pleasant surprise. Now I want to know *all* the colours these came it so I can get them all. I need the brown one now for sure.

For what it's worth, I also have the SH versions in Black and Brown and dare i say there are quite excellent as well and also cause no irritation at all. My eyes are quite sensitive and go red easily but these do not bother them at all. The biggest difference between the brands (save for the price) is that the tip of the SH wand seems to be almost felt or velvet like which helps hold the pigment at the tip a little better and allows you to really get in between the lashes if there are spots you missed.

So if exotic eyes are of interest to you, these are a definite option. BTW, I know some people might think "Why not just use a loose e/s or pigment?" Well, for one, this stuff is more pigmented than anything else pretty much, does not irritate and has excellent staying power. And the packaging is gorgeous!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2008 2:47:00 AM More reviews by purplepengiunz

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Click on "continued" to see TWO videos on how to apply the kohl!!

I had been lemming these forever until I finally caved and now own Noir, Brun, Blue, and Oriental Bronze. When I got my first one, I was very frightened at first because of the stick applicator.. It can get a little tough learning how to use it. But with some good practice, you should be good to go in a day or two!

Past that, the colors are gorgeous. Noir is a slightly shimmery more medium black, Brun a beautiful golden bronze brown, Oriental Bronze a sparkling khaki with a touch of bronze, and Blue a shimmery radiant blue. The only one that isn't really glitter is Noir, so if you're a contact lens wearer, I would probably go for that one. They don't actually irritate my eyes, but I'm a careful one!

The lasting power is AMAZING. These are the closest to real kohls that I've found in terms of lasting power. They really do stay on the waterline, kind of smudge and meld, but look so stunning. I have cried and rubbed my eyes wearing these with no serious smudging or wearing off. They give that middle-eastern look (especially the black one).

IMO, the Brun actually looks deeper on application, but the rest generally apply like in the bottle.

Would def repurchase as I love how luxurious these seem and how well they actually work!

I also have a youtube video of me applying one, so here it is!

And another one on application:

continued >>

25 out of 26 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2008 8:45:00 PM More reviews by OrchidGoddess

I purchased this product last weekend. I am utterly fascinated by the packaging and so is my fiance...he kept picking it up and checking out - he thinks the vial is beautiful and elegant looking. I'll admit that it was the packaging that first caught my eye. The beauty advisor explained the western and eastern methods of applying it, as I had never used loose kohl before. I was skeptical if I could pull off the eastern method...in fact, I was a little scared! LOL....and as others have said, it sounds scarier than it really is. The other thing I was concerned about is my sensitive eyes. I mean, I get a tiny fleck of something in my eyes and they water like crazy...so I was doubtful that I would have much luck with this product.

I decided to purchase the kohl in blue, as it is so mysterious, sexy and gorgeous looking. I gave it a go, and for the first time application I didn't find it too difficult at all. As others have mentioned, I did end up with some on my cheeks, and I was wishing I had waited to do my foundation until after the eye makeup application. Lesson learned there. Again, my main concern was how my eyes would react to this, and I am (shocked) to report that I had absolutely no problems. My right eye I had to blink a couple of times, as there was something in there that turned out to be a hair or something, so I can't blame the kohl on that. I waited though, before applying my mascara, just in case my eyes decided to wait and then water, and I'd end up with a huge mess. I am sooooo happy that I experienced no watering, and what I did end up with was absolutely gorgeously lined eyes, smouldering, sexy, but not over the top. I didn't find it to look as heavy as I had expected, but rather simply exotic looking. It looked HOT! The boys like these new eyes on me too, lol which is a plus, and the fiance especially thinks they are gorgeous.

I can't wait to purchase it in other colours, especially the pearly white and the new Oriental metal one that is part of Terracotta 2008 collection. I also like how I dont need to pull on my eyes, and it doesn't pull my lids like that of some pencils, which is definately a bonus to fight premature aging. As a side note, this may sound funny, but I felt really exotic, and regal putting this stuff on my eyes....the whole package of it, and just the method of putting it on made me feel great!

I personally don't think it's that expensive, for the high quality product that you're obtaining. In fact, I would be much more concerned about purchasing it from other sources, where there are not as stringent guidelines for the production of cosmetics....after all, these are my eyes we're talking about here. I feel comfortable paying a little extra knowing that it's safe.

So final verdict? AWESOME product and worth every penny!!!!
Recommend? YESSS, and took less practice than I had anticipated - I felt like a pro by the second and third application.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2007 9:02:00 AM More reviews by shoeho

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

OMG! I mean, OMG!

I just got this stuff last night, tried it once, smeared it a little. This morning I did it a little more carefully. OMG!!!

My eyes have never looked sexier. I've tried for years with pencil, liquid, gel and never got a really good close line. I did this the Eastern way, it's not hard, it doesn't hurt, and OMG! Close, thin beautiful lines around my eyes. Sexy, sexy, sexy.

I'm on the downward side of 40, so maybe it's a bit much for day to day but at night, WOWZER! I'm keeping it on today, no matter.

I bought the brun 2 which looks bronze in the package (green eyed blond) . It is PLENTY dark. I'd say you'd need to be a dark brunette before you'd want to go any darker.

I just bought the Secret Glow (white/pearl) and will review that when I get it. I'm betting it makes my eyes look huge.