November 25, 2014 | 1862 users online

Toners - Neutrogena - Alcohol-Free Toner

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2014 7:30:00 AM More reviews by Carybear

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I purchased this a while ago on a whim, I was into my cold cream & dove soap phase (yeah I know-pore clogging hell) thinking that I could use the toner to remove residue. The toner has a pH of 4.5, which is perfect, but too gentle to remove the mix of mineral oil & syndnet residue from the dove soap (nasty).
So it sat in the cupboard for a few months. Right now I'm using spectro jel (combo skin version) and a BHA liquid lotion, which is not really a toner in the true sense. It can only be used once a day, at night.
Spectro jel for combo skin leaves a residue, which can be irritating.
Spectro Jel has an ingredient which is a nessesary evil to preserve the formula. You'll notice it is paraben free...but replacing that is Diazolidinyl urea which is a formadehyde releaser. This causes the irritation (and some people are very allergic to Diazolidinyl urea, so keep this in mind if you're considering this cleanser) and that's where Neutrogena's alcohol free toner comes in. I do like to add a 1/4 tsp of L-ascorbic acid, but if you do such a thing keep in mind it lowers the pH of the formula, and may cause irritation for some.
I typically avoid fragrance in cosmetics, but the parfum in this toner does not irritate my skin. The best ingredient in the formula is sodium PCA which balances and respects the acid mantle.
It's also good for the morning when one is not keen on washing their face, but wish to clean the skin.
Good product. I can't say HG yet, but it has potential :j
***UPDATE*** June 2014
This toner is great. It never bothers my skin, doesn't dry it out.
HG

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/8/2014 10:18:00 PM More reviews by electroTABBY

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

Overall a really nice toner:) One of my favorite, because I love the smell and how gentle it is on the skin. It feels really refreshing to use after I've wiped off my makeup. It's not drying at all. I have combination skin so I try to keep my skin balanced, I need to remove oil without over drying my skin so this toner is perfect for that.

It doesn't help with treating acne or anything (it's not intended to), but I feel that it aids in preventing clogged pores by removing any excess makeup you might have had on your face after cleansing. Another plus!

I don't see anything wrong with the packaging either, I either use a cotton ball or my face wipes with the toner on it and it works wonderfully. Definitely recommend this toner!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/5/2014 9:49:00 PM More reviews by Backmasking

I bought this in attempt to find a cheaper alternative to my Clinique Mild Clarifying Lotion. This does not moisturize like the Clinique version does, it has a strong perfume scent which I hate, and it causes my redness to flare up. Also, the packaging is cheap.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/24/2013 11:15:00 AM More reviews by matchamoiselle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

This toner made me give up on toners in general... I've stopped using toners completely. This toner gave me multiple spots, akin to an allergic reaction. It dried out my skin and irritated it quite badly that I was shocked since the product is supposed to be alcohol-free! These spots and irritated areas stopped and healed over in a couple of days after I stopped using this toner.

I think this toner is quite harsh, so I wouldn't recommend this toner to anyone at all.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/1/2013 6:42:00 PM More reviews by Koala25

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My skin is generally clear these days but this product has made my acne flare up again...IMMENSELY! One of the main ingredients in this toner is butylene glycol which has been shown to contribute to breakouts. Shame because I liked the fact that it was alcohol free. I would warn acne sufferers against purchasing this.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2013 2:44:00 PM More reviews by troo12

This toner was the first alcohol-free toner I've used. Thus, I don't have much to compare it to besides that it is a whole lot better on my face than those with alcohol. It does a great job at cleansing the rest of the scum of my face that my face wash didn't get and this includes cleaning my pores a bit better than they had been. The tone of my face has changed but I'm not sure if it's because of the product or other factors (age, other products). But overall, I have nothing to complain about!
Warning though: Don't squeeze bottle! It comes out way too fast...

rated 1 of 5 on 9/29/2013 5:43:00 PM More reviews by Kirplunk0

This stuff broke me out neutrogena always breaks me out i dont know why

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2013 1:38:00 AM More reviews by SHeust

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I don't really feel like this does anything for me.

Good:
I do notice on my cotton ball after using it that it takes off what little bit of makeup my face wash may leave behind
Doesn't irritate or dry out my sensitive/combination skin
No offensive smell or stinging sensation, like some toners have
Alcohol-free

Bad:
I just don't really think this is...worth using. It feels sort of like putting water on my face with a cotton ball. I don't think it really makes any impact
The bottle is big but I think it cost me $8 which is sort of ridiculous for toner (IMHO)
Is sort of slow to dry/absorb, as far as toners usually go

Overall: pass.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/14/2013 8:28:00 AM More reviews by melkarla

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I would describe this product as really simple. It didn't break me out and I felt like it could easily slip into my regime. :) It made my face feel clean but not super fresh. It didn't make my face feel dry or tight. To be honest I don't know if it really did much. But I think it's really good in a regime that is intense, for acne maybe.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/24/2013 4:15:00 AM More reviews by cindyful

This is the first toner I've ever tried. I've been using it daily for about a week now and it seems to work well so far. My skin is pretty sensitive but there hasn't been any brake outs, redness or burning sensations which is a very good sign for me lol. This is most likely because it's alcohol-free. I would use a cotton pad to apply this toner at night, right after I cleanse my face. I'd say it's fairly good at cleaning any impurities or makeup that my cleanser left behind, and it doesn't leave your skin feeling too tight. There's also a slight scent to it, which I don't mind. I can't compare it to other toners since this is the first one I've tried, but it's most likely an average toner. It does what it claims to do, however it's not exactly a miracle product. I do see some tiny improvements in my skin; for example, my skin has become a little softer and I think my skin is slowly starting to even out. My t-zone is still oily though (I didn't, and still don't, expect that to change!). One bottle will definitely last you a long time, and I will continue to use it. I think this is good if you're looking for a basic toner.