July 30, 2014 | 2014 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Tweezerman - Blackhead/Blemish Extractor

rated 4 of 5 on 6/19/2011 3:10:00 PM More reviews by haykitty

I got a knock-off of this (Sally Hansen/La Cross) for ONE DOLLAR at Big Lots. The shape is the exact same.

The key to this style of extractor is steaming - a lot. This style of extractor will NOT work without it. If you are just beginning, I would look into an extractor with a spoon style loop on each end. It's harder to bruise the skin as all you do to remove the sebum is press lightly. If it's not coming out on the first or second try - leave it be.

That said, it's a great tool if you know what you're doing. What I do is steam my face (10 minutes to begin and then increments of 2 minutes at a time in between areas). You have to be patient. You can use the tool in multiple ways (like a simple light press and drag for a pore close to the surface or a slightly more pressured drag along the nostrils from several directions).

Just take it slow and experiment with light pressure. Great tool!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/16/2011 11:28:00 AM More reviews by agirlhaunted

works wonders, I think I have had my blackheads stuck around my face since grade 9, and this thing got a lottt of it out! =DDD can be quite painful the first time, well since I have small but stubborn blackheads/pores. make sure you hot compress/steam and cleanse your face first tho! I like the flat end the best even if it's just for blackheads supposedly, the other end is okay, but kinda harsh for me. I like the grip too. Got it from shopper's drug mart for $16 total, could've gotten it at the tweezerman store for $11, but I couldn't get there =( also remember to sterilize it (before, during, after)!!!!!

When I use it, sometimes I may have to drag it at different angles before the stuff comes out. usually dragging downwards is enough, but it depends. you may have to switch angles and do it sideways or from bottom-up. and don't press too hard! if it doesn't come out the first time, move on and then try again later =)

have fun!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2011 11:25:00 PM More reviews by cived

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Ok, this thing is awesome. I just bought one for the first time even though I've had my eye on it for 15 years. I've never used an extractor; this is the first time, because I've never had a facial.

I have some closed whiteheads on my skin - skin colored bumps that never seem to come to a head. No redness, no pain, just these little flesh colored bumps. I use this thing, and voila - the gunk comes out like a little snake of nastiness. I'm floored.

I used this, then I used a toner, then I applied Staphaseptic, which is a MRSA treatment I bought once that works great on cystic acne (it contains tea tree oil as well as benzethonium chloride). I sterilized it with alcohol. I think this thing will do good stuff for me. I'll try to update tomorrow or next week with how my skin is afterward.

***UPDATE*** Okay, it's been a month and a half, and I got super irritated after I wrote this review. It could be that I used it wrong, but I got a giant cyst in the spot I used it on. Word to the wise - should be used by professionals. I still use it for zits that need to go, but I'm not using it for anything else.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2011 1:08:00 AM More reviews by digitalparanoia

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is one of my HG products. I used to work in cosmetics and people were always asking me about my skincare regimen because of my "lovely skin". While I sold them toners and masks this was my secret weapon. I know a lot of places encourage you to not pick at your skin but if you go about it in the right way you will not hurt yourself.

As mentioned by a number of other reviewers this item works best after steaming your face or after a shower, don't do it before going out esp. if you have sensitive skin. The small loop is the best for blackheads or brownheads. I find that the best technique is positioning the blackhead right near the top inside of the loop and applying pressure, if it does not pop out drag the loop downward over the pore (this usually gets the stubborn ones out) If you have a large red mark or have broken the skin you are pushing too hard. Sometimes you may need to try a different angle or to push them out by pinching the skin between your fingers with a tissue . Beware the tissue method can hurt you; I have peeled off a bunch of skin on multiple occasions with this method when a finger slips, I have also broken small capilaries on my nose doing this method.

Large loop is best for pimples that have sprouted a white head and are large/painful. For these position the large flat loop so that the pimple is direct center and push straight down. If that didn't do anything you may need to prick the top of the whitehead gently with a sterilized needle, try again and drag down only if necessary.

Sterilize the tool during use, you don't want to push the nasties and the bacteria back into your pores. I always keep a cotton pad soaked in alcohol handy to wipe the junk off. After you are done you can soak the tool in alcohol or use a new cotton pad.

Always follow your picking escapade with a toner, and pimple gel if necessary. Use a calming lotion as well. Happy picking! BTW my friend has the textured handle version of this product and I find that one easier to use.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2011 1:33:00 PM More reviews by sweet_like_honey

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

The pores on my nose are so gi-normous they can be seen from space- so when they get clogged, which is often, the blackheads are very visible and it looks like somebody sprinkled pepper on my nose. (I know, gross.) But now you can understand why I need to extract sebum from my pores constantly so it doesn't build up and get that point. I have been using this tool for about a decade and I absolutely cannot live without it! I use it after the shower about 1-2x a week and it gets EVERYTHING out of every pore- I get a sick sense of satisfaction from seeing all the sebum coming out. (I know, I'm weird.) Luckily, my boyfriend is the same way and we're constantly fighting over "who gets to use the tool first"... LMAO! I should probably just buy him his own... Anyway, I find that the rounded loop works a lot better than the flat loop but other people might like the other side better. Sometimes I apply a clay and sulfur mask after I use this to help detoxify my pores even more and use a Benzoyl Peroxide cream after that to kill any acne-causing bacteria. If I do all of this at night, I have smooth, perfect pores the next morning when I wake up. :)

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 2/20/2011 3:14:00 AM More reviews by lucylucylou

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

This passed the test of extracting the blackheads on my nose with flying colours. Great. However despite 30 minutes of extra steaming it did nothing for the blackheads on my chin or cheeks (which popped out instantly with a bit of tissue and a squeeze), nor did it touch any of the blackheads on my partners face. I'm not sure that my technique is wrong as I can easily get the blackheads on my nose!?! Rather expensive (10 UK) for what it is too in my opinion.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2011 2:19:00 AM More reviews by barcodegirl

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Wow! Just... wow. This is amazing. I never knew such a little tool would make such a huge difference on my face. It's freakin' awesome!

I bought a knock-off one of these at walmart for two dollars. It works great, so it's probably as good as the real thing. I washed my face, exfoliated, then steamed my face. I've had really stubborn clogged pores on my nose for as long as I can remember. Even after exfoliating and steaming they are still there. I thought there was no hope. But then I got this. It's really easy to use. I use the flat side and just drag it down my face while putting pressure on it. It was disgusting but oh so satisfying to see what came out of my pores. I had to stop after 20 minutes because my face was getting really irritated, but I still got most of the sebum and junk out.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2011 7:51:00 PM More reviews by cherylgal

this thing is a lifesaver. i had my eye on this for a while now but always found it a bit too pricey, but i found it on sale at shoppers two days ago so I thought I'd give it a try. I use to have a huge litter of blackheads on my nose but after using this, I've been getting a lot of compliments and people saying how much clearer my skin is. I find for the more stubborn blackheads you have place the loop on it for a couple seconds, with slightly more presure but not so much that it's painful. afterwards, kind of slide the loop over it so you kind of 'scoop' up the gunk that comes out. I've had blackheads from years ago just coming out in seconds. even with the price, i would definitely repurchase if i lost it. good buy :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2010 11:44:00 PM More reviews by gorbe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love this thing. As others have pointed out, do this when your pores are open (best after a warm shower) and don't press too hard. If you do these two things, you should have no problems damaging your skin. I used this on my significant other, and the feeling of extracting all his pores was so incredibly satifsying! I know it's kind of gross to some, I agree that dirty, full pores are gross. But cleaning them.. seriously, I'm telling you, it made me realize why people become facialists (or whatever they are called, sorry, don't know the official title). Anyway, my SOs pores are STILL looking great, 2 weeks later! Amazing! (I also convinced him to stop washing his face with bar-soap, and I think that helped too). I love this thing!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2010 1:46:00 AM More reviews by ns4487

Ok, so this really is the only thing that works on removing stubborn blackheads. I have tried EVERY scrub, mask, facewash in the world...but once a blackhead is in there, the only way to get it out is with this tool, or one similar. I use a fine needle to break the top of the skin, making it easier for the gunk to pop out. Then I simply press and fingers crossed, something comes out! sometimes, if you press and nothing does, but you know the pore is clogged, your skin can get inflamed in reaction afterwards. Pretty much you have to hold your breath and hope that something comes out! But thats the risk i am willing to take. Blackheads are the bane of my life, and I dont care if no one else can see them on my face, I KNOW THEY ARE THERE! and will stop at nothing to get them out. This is the tool for it!