Tweezerman Blackhead/Blemish Extractor

4.2

on 7/31/2012 11:05:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Got it at Target for about 20 bucks and also purchased a good magnifying mirror. I think that is the key because with the magnifying mirror you can really see where even the smallest blackheads are, and surprisingly, sometimes those small ones produce the most gunk. Good light is really important as well. I prefer natural light from sitting near a window, like one of the other reviewers said.
So, (just like all the other reviews) the biggest tip I can think of for using this...**always clean the tool with alcohol before and after** and as the sebum begins to come out onto the tool, I wipe it away with a paper towel and dip the tool in alcohol again as not to contaminate other pores. The last thing you want to do is infect a pore that you just forced open that may be a little damaged. Sometimes, I will wipe a little alcohol over the area after I've just cleaned to make sure no residual gunk is left behind.
Start slow and be patient. Like everyone says, best time for me has been after a shower when skin is clean and pliable. I think this type of thing would be very bad for dry skin because it seems like it would damage it.
If you spot a larger blackhead, try it on that at first to get an idea of how your skin reacts. If nothing comes out, try a different angle. Sometimes going at it from a downward or upward angle will make the blackhead just pop right out. Sometimes I put the loop thing right over it and it comes out, but sometimes all the little pores around it start to pop instead, particularly on my nose.
I have to press pretty hard on some areas, and my skin will be red for about 15 minutes, but if for some reason you have tried a few different angles and nothing is happening, give up. If it's not time for it to come out, then you will just make it worse, Come back to it a few days later and try again and it most likely will work. I usually do the process every 2 weeks.
I've used this for the past few months and my cousin said she noticed a difference in my skin. I feel like I have less blemishes in general because of it.
I've gotten one or two infected type pimples right after using it, but that's nothing compared to the amount of pores its cleaned and opened.
Just keep the tool as clean as possible and be patient. It's terrific once you get the hang of it!

on 5/9/2012 2:56:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

I am not into salon/spa facials, prefer to do it all myself, and this extractor is awesome. I exfoliate, steam, and then use this. Very effective at getting pores clean.

I really like this little instrument because it helped me to reduce the huge amount of tiny little blackheads on my nose. Even my husband noticed immediately how clean my nose looked.
Here is how I used it: First of all I take a really long shower or hot bath to open up the pores and use an aspirin and honey mask on my face while I'm sitting in the bathtub for about 20 Min. Then I wash my face and step out of the bathroom to sit close to the window so I have very good light to see exactly where the blackheads are "sitting". The next step is to disinfect the tool with alcohol and to slightly press it over the affected arreas. Because the aspirin has opened up the pores so well the gunk easily comes out. As a result my pores are clean and only a little redness can be seen. I definitely recommend to take a long shower and use an aspirin mask beforehand because once I tried it without doing so and I ended up with no results but red skin.

on 7/24/2011 7:54:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

i think it is misleading information to say that this tool is used for whiteheads because whiteheads are also known as closed comedones (skin color). actually, this tool can be used only for open comedones (with white or black head showing off) and i find it great for that. so i dont use anymore my hands to squeeze such a pimple. as opposite to what you do with hands, this tool does not damage the skin, and cleans out completely the pore. however, it does not work on blackheads for me. i use it only for pimpels which show off a white head and that does not happen very often

on 6/19/2011 3:10:00 PM

I got a knock-off of this (Sally Hansen/La Cross) for ONE DOLLAR at Big Lots. The shape is the exact same.

The key to this style of extractor is steaming - a lot. This style of extractor will NOT work without it. If you are just beginning, I would look into an extractor with a spoon style loop on each end. It's harder to bruise the skin as all you do to remove the sebum is press lightly. If it's not coming out on the first or second try - leave it be.

That said, it's a great tool if you know what you're doing. What I do is steam my face (10 minutes to begin and then increments of 2 minutes at a time in between areas). You have to be patient. You can use the tool in multiple ways (like a simple light press and drag for a pore close to the surface or a slightly more pressured drag along the nostrils from several directions).

Just take it slow and experiment with light pressure. Great tool!

on 6/16/2011 11:28:00 AM

works wonders, I think I have had my blackheads stuck around my face since grade 9, and this thing got a lottt of it out! =DDD can be quite painful the first time, well since I have small but stubborn blackheads/pores. make sure you hot compress/steam and cleanse your face first tho! I like the flat end the best even if it's just for blackheads supposedly, the other end is okay, but kinda harsh for me. I like the grip too. Got it from shopper's drug mart for $16 total, could've gotten it at the tweezerman store for $11, but I couldn't get there =( also remember to sterilize it (before, during, after)!!!!!

When I use it, sometimes I may have to drag it at different angles before the stuff comes out. usually dragging downwards is enough, but it depends. you may have to switch angles and do it sideways or from bottom-up. and don't press too hard! if it doesn't come out the first time, move on and then try again later =)

have fun!

on 4/12/2011 11:25:00 PM

Ok, this thing is awesome. I just bought one for the first time even though I've had my eye on it for 15 years. I've never used an extractor; this is the first time, because I've never had a facial.

I have some closed whiteheads on my skin - skin colored bumps that never seem to come to a head. No redness, no pain, just these little flesh colored bumps. I use this thing, and voila - the gunk comes out like a little snake of nastiness. I'm floored.

I used this, then I used a toner, then I applied Staphaseptic, which is a MRSA treatment I bought once that works great on cystic acne (it contains tea tree oil as well as benzethonium chloride). I sterilized it with alcohol. I think this thing will do good stuff for me. I'll try to update tomorrow or next week with how my skin is afterward.

***UPDATE*** Okay, it's been a month and a half, and I got super irritated after I wrote this review. It could be that I used it wrong, but I got a giant cyst in the spot I used it on. Word to the wise - should be used by professionals. I still use it for zits that need to go, but I'm not using it for anything else.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is one of my HG products. I used to work in cosmetics and people were always asking me about my skincare regimen because of my "lovely skin". While I sold them toners and masks this was my secret weapon. I know a lot of places encourage you to not pick at your skin but if you go about it in the right way you will not hurt yourself.

As mentioned by a number of other reviewers this item works best after steaming your face or after a shower, don't do it before going out esp. if you have sensitive skin. The small loop is the best for blackheads or brownheads. I find that the best technique is positioning the blackhead right near the top inside of the loop and applying pressure, if it does not pop out drag the loop downward over the pore (this usually gets the stubborn ones out) If you have a large red mark or have broken the skin you are pushing too hard. Sometimes you may need to try a different angle or to push them out by pinching the skin between your fingers with a tissue . Beware the tissue method can hurt you; I have peeled off a bunch of skin on multiple occasions with this method when a finger slips, I have also broken small capilaries on my nose doing this method.

Large loop is best for pimples that have sprouted a white head and are large/painful. For these position the large flat loop so that the pimple is direct center and push straight down. If that didn't do anything you may need to prick the top of the whitehead gently with a sterilized needle, try again and drag down only if necessary.

Sterilize the tool during use, you don't want to push the nasties and the bacteria back into your pores. I always keep a cotton pad soaked in alcohol handy to wipe the junk off. After you are done you can soak the tool in alcohol or use a new cotton pad.

Always follow your picking escapade with a toner, and pimple gel if necessary. Use a calming lotion as well. Happy picking! BTW my friend has the textured handle version of this product and I find that one easier to use.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

The pores on my nose are so gi-normous they can be seen from space- so when they get clogged, which is often, the blackheads are very visible and it looks like somebody sprinkled pepper on my nose. (I know, gross.) But now you can understand why I need to extract sebum from my pores constantly so it doesn't build up and get that point. I have been using this tool for about a decade and I absolutely cannot live without it! I use it after the shower about 1-2x a week and it gets EVERYTHING out of every pore- I get a sick sense of satisfaction from seeing all the sebum coming out. (I know, I'm weird.) Luckily, my boyfriend is the same way and we're constantly fighting over "who gets to use the tool first"... LMAO! I should probably just buy him his own... Anyway, I find that the rounded loop works a lot better than the flat loop but other people might like the other side better. Sometimes I apply a clay and sulfur mask after I use this to help detoxify my pores even more and use a Benzoyl Peroxide cream after that to kill any acne-causing bacteria. If I do all of this at night, I have smooth, perfect pores the next morning when I wake up. :)

on 2/20/2011 3:14:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This passed the test of extracting the blackheads on my nose with flying colours. Great. However despite 30 minutes of extra steaming it did nothing for the blackheads on my chin or cheeks (which popped out instantly with a bit of tissue and a squeeze), nor did it touch any of the blackheads on my partners face. I'm not sure that my technique is wrong as I can easily get the blackheads on my nose!?! Rather expensive (10 UK) for what it is too in my opinion.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools