OPI Start to Finish Base & Top Coat

2.7

on 4/15/2012 3:55:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This is BY FAR the WORST top/base coat I have EVER used. And what sickens me more is the price I paid for it! It was $12.95 at my local hair salon! Here is why I hate it so much...

1. Its NOT fast drying...at ALL, if anything, it slows down the drying time!

2. Its a very thick polish.
3. The brush part actually sticks to the bottle and the black cap comes off....thats how STICKY it is.
4. It makes almost all of my nail polishes bubble....i HATE that.
5. It doesnt add much shine, theres better top coats in the drugstore for FARRR cheaper!
6. It doesnt make my manicure last any longer.
7. It makes my polish just peel right off..

I will NOT ever buy this again!

on 2/21/2012 10:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have several top coats and several base coats. However, I usually reach for this dual product, especially when I am in a hurry. Having said that, I do have to say that it is not fast drying. Just average in that dept. But, it does the job and the manicure or pedicure lasts a good week. I mostly do pedicures as my hands are in water or doing crafts alot.
It does not yellow the nails nor the polish it is protecting. I always repurchase this one.

on 11/14/2011 11:34:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

Experienced the same problem as others with it becoming goopy as the bottle got to the bottom half. Not as pleased with it as a base coat. Wouldn't purchase again.

on 10/10/2011 12:52:00 AM

I bought this product primarily as a nail strengthener and to use as a clear polish so can't say how well it works over coloured polish as a top coat. However apart from the wide brush and the fact it is formaldehyde free I do not rate this product at all and will not buy again. It does not work as a nail strengthener at all, does not dry to a high gloss finish and also dries with a grainy texture so not smooth. I am very disappointed to say the least. I would have expected far more for the high price.

on 9/13/2011 9:12:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Do not buy this overpriced OPI product.
1. Using it as a base coat does not help prevent stains nor does it make polish last longer
2. Applying this over wet polish results in tiny bubbles. I had to wait about 15 minutes for the polish to dry before using this (totally defeats the purpose of a quick dry top coat)
3. Horrible as a top coat for nail art because it will drag the different colors onto each other creating a bleeding effect. Yuck.
4. Has no significant shine to it, and does not help even out polish.

I only use this polish as a sticky base for applying rhinestones. I'd rather not waste my good top coats. Total waste of money.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

THIS IS SOO NOT DRYING!! Im pretty much just wasting my nail polish coz of this stuff. If you are looking for a REALLY REALLY REALLY good nail polish base and top coat- go ahead and pick up ones from the brand Seche. They are super drying!!! And thats what the manicure person (sorry dont know what theyre called lmfaoo) used!!
THANK YOU ALL FOR READING MY REVIEW!!!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Kinky, Coarse

Eyes: Violet

I really don't care for this product at all. I was pretty disappointed that it didn't work considering that it's a bit pricey. Every time I use this stuff without fail, it makes my nail polish peel off the same day. I've tried just using it as a base coat and skipping the top coat and vice versa. No matter how many variations I try it still manages to cause my polish to peel right off. I usually like OPI polishes but this stuff is a waste of money.

on 7/8/2011 11:17:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I had to edit my previous positive review. After using this for a few months, I noticed that it doesn't work as well. The product thickens very easily and causes a big mess. Also, I purchased this product twice, and each time the brush area came off the cap, and it is such a pain to use this product. Not convenient at all.

I tried Seche Vite, it is much better. SV dries much faster and although it thickens easily too, it is much better quality than Opi. Faster drying, no dislocation brush from cap, I prefer SV over Opi.

on 4/18/2011 11:00:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Do not use this for your top coat if you are impatient.
I relied on this for strengthening, top and base. Considering the fact that its a three in one, it does its job reasonably well. Its great, but I wouldn't purchase a second.

on 3/5/2011 3:44:00 PM

This polish takes a long time to set as a top coat. The shine it gives is so-so, nothing you can't get with a cheaper drugstore base/top coat. Definitely not worth its retail price, stay away!

Top Rated OPI Products