October 21, 2014 | 2020 users online

Fragrances - Estee Lauder - White Linen

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2012 3:36:00 AM More reviews by Kysyona

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I sniffed it more than once now, once tested it on my skin and came to the conclusion: it has the right to exist, but as a tiny amount in my closet. Main reasons why I would not wear it daily: 1. it is hardly a man magnet, and I don't want my husband to be reminded that he's behind ( again! ) with helping me to do the laundlry! :) 2. in winter this scent does not work at all and definitely doesn't bring any warmth or cosyness one craves in those months. 3. It is hardly long-lasting ( at least on me ), and I absolutely hate having to reapply, knowing that this is no bargain price buy. Now, when I WOULD wear this: 1. at a very serious business meeting where you want to blend with those who "have a pair" and not be singled out as a weaker sex individual right away. 2. After a big uncluttering spring clean of the house, when everything is finally sparkling, the rooms are aired and I want to sit down and enjoy the fruits of my labour feeling the surge of "cleanliness and order " before the family ride into this picture of domestic perfection altering it to the point of unrecognizeable. 3. When I teach / help with homework etc. : this scent has discipline in it, and it sort of helps to focus in my view, like all clean ascetic scents.
4. If I have a baby and am still breastfeeding: the powder's calming effect and cosyness of fresh fabric is what babies appreciate much more than adults. Because it has such a narrow usage span for me, I am rating it not higher than 3 lippies: versatility is something that is probably the hardest in perfumery to achieve, and here the task has not been acomplished.

6 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2012 7:39:00 PM More reviews by LizWords

I purchased a mini of this parfum spray after reading several reviews of Chanel No. 22 that mentioned that White Linen was a dup for 22. After having tested it for a full day I definitely see why people think that, it is remarkably similar. The woody base notes, vetiver, vanilla, sandalwood, blended with the florals, jasmine, rose, ylang-ylang, and the aldehydes create a very good dup for no. 22. But it's the starchy, fresh out of the dryer cotton note that separates this as distinct from no. 22. I have to say that I'm really quite impressed with how effectively White Linen conveys the scent of freshly laundered linen. It really does mix the smell of freshly dried laundry into the base and transforms what would otherwise be a recreation of 22 into a unique fragrance. This starchy laundry scent stays through to the end of this incredibly long lasting perfume.

I doubt I would purchase a full size, but I will use my mini and see how it goes. I prefer no. 22, I really don't personally care to smell like fresh laundry/cotton, but I understand why a lot of people love those types of scents.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2012 6:41:00 PM More reviews by bassetmomma

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This was my signature scent some 20 years ago. When I smell this now, it brings back memories and it's a bit nostalgic. No modern designer would have the proverbial eggs to make something like this. That's what I find about some older fragrances, compared to new ones. They are in your face with one facet and proud of it. This one is very much what it is - powdery, light, white, and unabashed about it. For some, powdery (Shalimar) = old lady. Well, I am a firm believer there is a time and a place for everything. Fruity florals and heavy spices are hard to wear in the workplace, especially mine (a small dental office). I would never dare wear Angel, Opium, Fantasy, or Gucci Guilty for a day at the office when I could very well suffocate a patient with a sensitive sniffer. I could wear White Linen. What are they going to say? I smelled clean and powdery? No problem with that.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/3/2012 7:26:00 PM More reviews by ceen

A 'talcum powder' scent loved by old ladies.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/1/2011 8:11:00 AM More reviews by Thewhitefeather

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Other, Other, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Here's to body chemistry. I have never smelled this on any person that it did not smell downright beautiful. Soft, very white-linen-ish. Some variance from person to person, perhaps one might pull off more of a powdery nuance, another might be fresh-sharp but all in all the same White Linen. Put it on my skin and you get a greasy-metallic, dirty ash tray. Why oh why but why?

I'm going to give this one middle of the road ratings because of this.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2011 10:47:00 PM More reviews by LaceyPorter

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Love it! Not really for teens but a great light musk! One of my all time top five.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/21/2011 7:56:00 PM More reviews by eky321

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

White Linen is a clean clear scent. The dry down is very similar to the dry down of Aromatics Elixir. I like both, but not the dry down. It is missing something. Some wood maybe?
White linen makes you feel clean and it is easy to wear during the work day. I do not find it sexy or flirty material, but it very useful for every day use at work.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/18/2011 8:56:00 AM More reviews by Jojo12

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I tried this at a store counter and wandered round to give it time to settle.It was a hot, humid day but I fet refreshed, clean and was put in mind of clean washing, blowing in the wind on a fresh spring day.

As an older woman, I too can wear many things that did not smell too good when I was 30 years younger, so I understand why some women might not like it. One's skin does change over time, plus what can smell good on one, can stink on another, due to body chemistry. As for myself, so many of the popular, modern perfumes are too overpowering for me: they often give me a headache and smell more than a little lowbrow - like "Saturday night at the local Palais!"

For me, this perfume - which I went back to buy - smells like a fresh daytime fragrance for outdoor activities. It has more than a little class and allure. It has a sweetness which isn't cloying and its freshness is by no means ordinary. Rather exclusive and classy.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/8/2011 9:09:00 PM More reviews by sweetness10

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I know that this is an incredibly popular, well-loved fragrance but to me it's one of the worst florals I've ever smelled. I find it extremely sharp, harsh and overpowering and it gets up my nose and makes me feel sick. I guess it goes to show that different body chemistry really does affect fragrances a lot!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2011 4:42:00 PM More reviews by kahou79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this fragrance and to me, it's the epitome of class. My husband gave me a bottle of this, at my request, for an anniversary a couple of years ago and it got pushed to the back of my cologne cabinet to be rediscovered a few days ago. I'm not good at describing scents but this is a fresh floral that has a sophistocated edge. I read that when this came out in the 70's that no store could keep it on the shelves. A true classic that every woman should discover.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No