August 2, 2014 | 1616 users online

Fragrances - Estee Lauder - White Linen

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2012 6:41:00 PM More reviews by bassetmomma

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This was my signature scent some 20 years ago. When I smell this now, it brings back memories and it's a bit nostalgic. No modern designer would have the proverbial eggs to make something like this. That's what I find about some older fragrances, compared to new ones. They are in your face with one facet and proud of it. This one is very much what it is - powdery, light, white, and unabashed about it. For some, powdery (Shalimar) = old lady. Well, I am a firm believer there is a time and a place for everything. Fruity florals and heavy spices are hard to wear in the workplace, especially mine (a small dental office). I would never dare wear Angel, Opium, Fantasy, or Gucci Guilty for a day at the office when I could very well suffocate a patient with a sensitive sniffer. I could wear White Linen. What are they going to say? I smelled clean and powdery? No problem with that.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/3/2012 7:26:00 PM More reviews by ceen

A 'talcum powder' scent loved by old ladies.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/1/2011 8:11:00 AM More reviews by Thewhitefeather

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Other, Other, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Here's to body chemistry. I have never smelled this on any person that it did not smell downright beautiful. Soft, very white-linen-ish. Some variance from person to person, perhaps one might pull off more of a powdery nuance, another might be fresh-sharp but all in all the same White Linen. Put it on my skin and you get a greasy-metallic, dirty ash tray. Why oh why but why?

I'm going to give this one middle of the road ratings because of this.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2011 10:47:00 PM More reviews by LaceyPorter

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Love it! Not really for teens but a great light musk! One of my all time top five.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/21/2011 7:56:00 PM More reviews by eky321

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

White Linen is a clean clear scent. The dry down is very similar to the dry down of Aromatics Elixir. I like both, but not the dry down. It is missing something. Some wood maybe?
White linen makes you feel clean and it is easy to wear during the work day. I do not find it sexy or flirty material, but it very useful for every day use at work.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/18/2011 8:56:00 AM More reviews by Jojo12

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I tried this at a store counter and wandered round to give it time to settle.It was a hot, humid day but I fet refreshed, clean and was put in mind of clean washing, blowing in the wind on a fresh spring day.

As an older woman, I too can wear many things that did not smell too good when I was 30 years younger, so I understand why some women might not like it. One's skin does change over time, plus what can smell good on one, can stink on another, due to body chemistry. As for myself, so many of the popular, modern perfumes are too overpowering for me: they often give me a headache and smell more than a little lowbrow - like "Saturday night at the local Palais!"

For me, this perfume - which I went back to buy - smells like a fresh daytime fragrance for outdoor activities. It has more than a little class and allure. It has a sweetness which isn't cloying and its freshness is by no means ordinary. Rather exclusive and classy.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/8/2011 9:09:00 PM More reviews by sweetness10

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I know that this is an incredibly popular, well-loved fragrance but to me it's one of the worst florals I've ever smelled. I find it extremely sharp, harsh and overpowering and it gets up my nose and makes me feel sick. I guess it goes to show that different body chemistry really does affect fragrances a lot!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2011 4:42:00 PM More reviews by kahou79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this fragrance and to me, it's the epitome of class. My husband gave me a bottle of this, at my request, for an anniversary a couple of years ago and it got pushed to the back of my cologne cabinet to be rediscovered a few days ago. I'm not good at describing scents but this is a fresh floral that has a sophistocated edge. I read that when this came out in the 70's that no store could keep it on the shelves. A true classic that every woman should discover.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2011 1:44:00 PM More reviews by Kashinka

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

White Linen (the original, not the derivatives) has been my go-to summer fragrance for years. The crisp, green top notes seem to cut through hot, humid air like a laser and give relief on even the muggiest days. Once on the body, it mellows, so the scent is not harsh. It lasts as long as other fragrances on me. I also have the body cream (the one in the jar), but I'm not sure if layering it under the spray really prolongs the life of the scent. I will definitely buy this again when my supply runs out.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2011 7:45:00 PM More reviews by mmarrs

Fresh fragrance as the name implies. Its floral scent I really like

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No