September 19, 2014 | 1577 users online

Loose Powders - Ben Nye - Neutral Set translucent powder

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2013 8:15:00 AM More reviews by Emma13

This is a good powder. It performs as well as higher-end products, and for significantly less money! It's a bit hard to come by, unfortunately but theatrical products shops should stock it. I've used a number of expensive powders in the past, including Giorgio Armani (loved it, though it had a slightly shiny finish), Becca (very good, great shades), Dior (very good) and Chanel (did not like it as it darkened my makeup and was too peachy). This is just neutral and translucent - no colour, no coverage. I like having one powder that is simply sheer. Will update regarding how it performs (oil control etc.).

P.S. Some reviewers are concerned about parabens; actually, the Chanel powder also has these - I would guess all powders do, since they are very common preservatives. They are present in infinitesimally small amounts in skincare, and I seriously would not worry about them. Skincare and cosmetics do not absorb through your skin anyway. (According to Paula Begoun, "In-vivo testing demonstrated parabens [in skincare were] 10,000 times weaker than naturally occurring phytoestrogens, such as those found in the foods and medicines we consume every day.")

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2013 6:11:00 PM More reviews by Domie1524

I love this product! Before purchasing this Ben Nye powder I used MAC translucent powder comparing the two products you get a lot more of the Ben Nye powder for less than half of what you would pay for the MAC powder. I paid about $8 for the 1.75g container and I have had this for over a month and am not even half way through it! Trust me when I say the smallest amount goes along way. The thing I love most about this product besides the price is that it doesn't leave you with a white cast on your face and you literally apply it once and you won't need to retouch your make up allday. Since Ben Nye is used for theatrical purposes when you sweat your make up won't smudge or go anywhere. I have purchased almost all of the Ben Nye powders and was impressed with everyone of them. Just give you an idea of how much product your getting for your money with the translucent powder the largest size they sell is an 8 oz. jar which retails for only $13 talk about a deal!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2013 6:59:00 AM More reviews by Saspants

I absolutely love this setting powder. It sets your make-up lightly without getting cakey or heavy. I have tried them all; Nars, MUFE, Tarte, etc. and this is so much cheaper and does a better job.

I found that Tarte and MUFE gave me a white cast no matter how little I used, so I would always have to go back and touch up my blush and bronzer because I looked washed out. That doesn't happen with Neutral Set. It gives my complexion a flawless finish (and trust me, it isn't!), my pores disappear and my make-up stays put.

A huge bottle of this is only $14 and lasts forever so that is less than half of what any of the higher end setting powders run and you get more than twice the amount of product. It is available on-line through numerous retailers but I live in the Houston area and am fortunate to have two theatrical costumers in the area and they always have this on-hand.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2013 8:22:00 PM More reviews by ltnla

Thank you MUA!! NC 25/30 here. I was all set to splurge on Nars light reflecting powder, but decided to look here for a cheaper alternative (setting powders and mascara are two things that I don't like to spend much money on). I'm not saying that this is a dupe of Nars' (and this isn't a comparison review, but I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the two on my face, other than maybe, just maybe the Nars is a bit more brightening??). Anyhow, very impressed by this product. It does everything I want a setting powder to do, and a bit more. It's extremely finely milled, and can go up against any expensive face powder, is not cakey or powdery and looks like nothing on, except that my face looks more "finished" and my skin just a bit nicer. It may initially lighten my face by a tiny fraction, though all face powders seem to do that to me. I got the translucent one/which looks white but fear not, it really is translucent. I have slightly oily skin, and this lasts me at least 4-5 hours, though frankly looking a bit "dewy" by the end of the day doesn't bother me much (I just use blotting sheets if necessary). Not sure how this would work on very oily skin, but I think that if you have normal/dry or normal/oily skin, you'll be happy with this. I got this at a costume shop which has a smattering of stage makeup, though you can easily find it online. Still dirt cheap even including shipping cost (about $6-8 for 1.75 oz -- about 5 times the size of department store loose powders--usually about .33 oz or less). Everyone else has talked about the lousy packaging... I will just transfer it to one of my nice empty powder boxes. In short, highly recommended.

PS--a few people here mentioned that it has parabens...I haven't bothered to check but thought I should mention.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2013 8:21:00 PM More reviews by EmilyPierce

As a theatre kid, I swear by Ben Nye. I even use it as my everyday makeup, instead of just for when I'm on stage. That being said, this powder is a gift from The Lord himself, it's not to heavy, it mattes me out like nobodies business, and it pales down my foundation juuuuust the right amount so that it blends into my albino white girl skin. The packaging could use a bit of work, but all in all it's a staple in my kit at all times.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2013 4:05:00 AM More reviews by addied

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Considering that I got this product with my school kit, I probably will buy it for the sake of clients but when it come to using this on my own face, I find it irritating.

I ended up switching over to 'Estee Lauder' - Lucidity Translucent Loose Powder because it's the only product that I haven't reacted to yet despite the price.

The packaging is good, just be cautious not to spill out too much and always brush your face with a large clean brush to get rid of excess powder.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2013 4:09:00 PM More reviews by narkiz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I can honestly say that this is not a miracle product, I had to reapply this after a couple of hours . I have combination skin, my skin is not very oily. I bought it, used a couple of times and stopped using it after reading that it has parabens. I will not re-buy or use this powder. Parabens are not good for our health..

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2013 12:53:00 PM More reviews by Katie5

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have used MAC Prep & Prime translucent powder for years and absolutely loved it, but it got to the stage where I was repurchasing it every other month and it had become quite an expensive habit, so I did some MUA research and thought I would give this a go. I was surprised when I received it in the post because the bottle contains 49g, which is six times the amount you get with MAC Prep & Prime, but the container itself is really small. It just shows how deceptive the packaging is with the MAC one.

I am not a fan of the bottle-style packaging because I like to dispense loose powder into the lid of the pot and dip my brush into that, which isn't really possible because the lid is so small. I have been transferring this into an old Prep & Prime container to get around that (any loose powder container with a sifter would do). I have already filled the MAC container twice but it has hardly made a dent in the Ben Nye bottle, so you do get an awful lot of product for the money (this cost 5.50 plus postage, which came to about 8 in total. The MAC powder is 18.50 for less than a sixth of the amount!).

In terms of the product itself, the finish it gives is lovely and there is no white cast on my skin, even when I am wearing false tan (which takes me up to about an NC20-25). It does set make-up very nicely without making the skin look overly powdery, and it hasn't broken me out at all. I think the main difference between this and the MAC P&P is that the MAC one is slightly more finely milled and does control my oil for slightly longer. With the Ben Nye I have to touch up after about four hours, so it is still good but not quite as good. I also can't use this under my eyes, but I do have very sensitive eyes and I prefer to use other powders for that anyway. I would be more than willing to repurchase given the massive difference in cost. It is far better than most powders I have tried.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2013 6:21:00 AM More reviews by Chipstah

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

If you have oily skin or you find that you're skin gets oily around midday, this is definitely the answer. I use it to set my foundation and I find that it stays all day and I don't even have to carry any powders around.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2013 6:27:00 PM More reviews by sunnykt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Great price, nice for my fair skin (banana might be better for darker, warmer skin tones).
Does contain talc.