July 25, 2014 | 1702 users online

Powder - Cover Girl - Simply Powder Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2013 7:06:00 AM More reviews by Brootneexo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have been wearing this powder f or years in shade 505 Ivory. It matches my skin perfectly and is so easy to blend. I have never been disappointed in this product and recommend it to everyone who asks what make up I wear. I am not big on liquid make up because I don't like the feeling of it on my face, even higher end foundations like MAC and Este Lauder make my face feel "valet" and "mask-like." That is a feeling I never experience with this power. The coverage is amazing and its so easy ti blend! It also takes a long time to oxidize and lasts all day... I put on my make up before 6 am everyday and usually take it off at about 8 PM throughout the work week. Not saying you don't need to touch it up, but it only takes a tad bit to refresh my whole face again after about 7 hours. Love, love, love this product. My only complaint is the packaging it comes in. I use a kabuki brush, so when some if it settles into the packaging, it spills a bit each time I open it. Other than that, I have been very loyal to this product and use it everyday!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2013 4:45:00 PM More reviews by sevinegar

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have been meaning to write about this product for a very long time but I've just been too busy but at last I made some time. This product is fabulous. I am a MAC NW15 and everything I wear is MAC including their Studio Fix power. I have good skin but I always like a flawless complexion, which is not too difficult to achieve but the power is just as fabulous as Studio Fix but a little more yellow, which is good for me because it warms up my complexion. I often use the powders together or the Simple Powder foundation on it's own. Both solve the icky problem of using a liquid foundation. I would continue to buy this product and often have more than one at a time open. One for my purse, and one that stays in my makeup drawer.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/8/2012 3:19:00 PM More reviews by nilorac123321

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love the texture, the coverage, the finish..
But the color? Horrid.
I've ne ver tried a powder foundation. I was looking into a high-end version of this, but didn't want to buy it and waste my money.

Honestly, I'm very very pale..BUT not paper white, 'mkay?
CoverGirl has a tendency to make "Ivory" foundations that are orangey, much too dark, and far from the neutral toned and fair color it SHOULD be.

Pros:
-Excellent oil control
-great coverage ( I have some acne, but not much.
-Natural matte finish
-long lasting ( one touch up after 6 hours )
-Inexpensive
-easy to apply and blend

Cons:
-Entierly the wrong shade, even though it's the lightest they sell.

I'm so sad that this didn't work for me. I love it so much save the color.
I wish CG would come out with a better shade selection for this. I wouldn't mind paying an extra two or so dollars if the color was on target.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2012 9:28:00 PM More reviews by lindanail

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I kind of re-discovered this. I tried all of the expensive mineral powders and pressed foundations (BE, IT cosmetics, Philosophy) and they aged me, made my pores look bigger, and made me shiny- not good! I apply this over my Smashbox primer, a tinted moisturizer or BB (Maybelline Dream BB is a good one) and a dab or two of CoverGirl Simply Ageless Concealer. I cover all of my imperfections and it looks like my skin. This powder doesn't settle in fine lines or pores when brushed on with a BE flawless foundation brush. Classic Ivory is a lovely color on my fair skin- not too orange or pink like a lot of CoverGirl foundations tend to be for me. I'm so happy I tried this again after years of thinking the expensive brands would be better!
Edit- Just tried Josie Maron Matchmaker powder foundation and Benefit's Hello Flawless and they did not look as good as this on my skin (have a stash of powder foundation and tinted moisturizers). I think they did not look good because the shimmer settled in my fine lines. The CoverGirl simply powder foundation is more matte, and just doesn't settle into my lines like other powders (even other matte powders) do. I have been wearing it with Miracle Skin Transformer (which acts as a primer/moisturizer/mattifier/ and SPF) and a little of the CoverGirl simply ageless concealer and it looks really good. I just picked up two more with a buy one get one 50 percent off at Walgreen's.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2012 2:18:00 AM More reviews by AndreaJunelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Several months ago I saw my mother in law (who always has great looking skin) touching up with this powder so I went out and purchased it for myself. I remembered a best girlfriend of mine using this in high school (who also had great looking skin at all times, 15+yrs ago) so needless to say this is a product that's been around for quite some time ;)
For reference I have fair/warm skin (lighter than NC15 in MAC S.F.F.) -that is combo/oily and acne/clog-prone.
CoverGirl products are very hit or miss for me, I'd recently been impressed with the NatureLuxe foundation and CG/Olay Pressed Powder(purple compact) so was hoping I would love this too..
I first used this as a finishing powder over foundation (like my mother in law) and was pleased - It's a great way to add more coverage to a lighter coverage foundation but didn't look like I was wearing a powder foundation over regular liquid. It definitely was quite natural which was nice.
Then I tried it alone as a foundation, and it's not bad at all. -Applies well, doesn't look overly powdery/cakey, didn't give a TON of coverage, but I don't need it to so that wasn't the deal breaker for me, but I do have two other issues with this product...

First off, this unfortunately gave me clogged pores. (Those darn flesh colored bumps in areas that I'm not usually prone to any breakouts) -And yes, I'm *sure* that it was indeed this product. I'm not someone that jumps the gun to blame every new pimple on a new makeup product & am quite religious with my skincare routine. I also never try more than one new cosmetic at a time - This was the only new thing I introduced, and until I discontinued use, I continued to clog-up more and more on my inner cheek/around my nose area :(

Secondly, this "Simply Powder Foundation" has the same *exact* ingredients, in the same *exact* order as the CG Pocket Powder (little blue compact) -But the pocket powder is labeled as an "oil control" pocket powder, while this is called a powder foundation and is almost $2 more in price at my local Walmart.. I don't like that they did that. -I know the cosmetics industry (or any industry for that matter) is about making money, but I don't think they should sell two products packaged differently, called different things, and priced differently with the same exact ingredients :(
So once I realized this was causing me the little clogged pores I exchanged it for the CG Pocket Powder just to see for myself if they were indeed formulated the same. I waited until my clogs from the Simply Powder Fndtn cleared up, then tried the pocket powder. It applies *exactly* the same, the shade was a bit different though (I think that's the main difference between the two powders - they have different shade choices.) The other minor difference - Simply Powder is .41oz and Pocket Powder is .37oz. But the pocket powder has a separate compartment for the sponge where Simply Powder does not.. So I guess it comes down to which line you have a better shade match in or if you prefer to store your sponge on top of your powder vs under it (like I do ;D) But unfortunately after using the pocket powder for 3-4 days, it gave me the same skin issue - clogged pores on my inner cheeks that continued to grow until I discontinued use (just as I suspected it would :-/ )

Overall, I feel like if this powder would have just given me the little clogged pore problem - I would have rated it 4 lippies because obviously just because something breaks me out, doesn't mean it's going to break out everyone else in the world with acne-prone skin :)
As I said above, my mother in law uses this daily as her touch up powder and looks flawless. Heck, I even looked pretty darn flawless before it gave me the skin irritation.
But instead I've decided to rate it at 3 lippies because not only did it break me out, it's $2 more than another CG product that is identical to it's ingredients which kind of makes me feel like they're scamming people for $2 extra every time someone purchases this vs. the pocket powder :(

Overall, I'd still probably recommend it. I really liked the finish and the light/medium coverage but instead of recommending the Simply Powder, I'd rec people the Pocket Powder version first instead because it's less in price, more sleek looking with slimmer packaging, and with the pocket powder there's that separate spot for the applicator sponge (I know we don't all always use these included sponges, but they're nice to have for touch ups).
This was just a miss for me though, plain and simple :(

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2012 5:53:00 PM More reviews by yallagabig

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was SO disappointed by this product. Almost everything about it is wonderful -- the coverage is good but very matte and natural-looking. It goes on quickly, easily, and smoothly. The ingredients are great and felt very light on my skin. Its oil-control properties are INCREDIBLE! It is neither drying nor cakey. It did not irritate my sensitive skin. You get a good amount of product for a fair price. It's fantastic. So why, then, did I return it to CVS? Because I bought the lightest shade (#505, ivory) and it was still way too dark. It made my fair skin look dirty. As it oxidized throughout the day, it just got worse. To be fair, I have a really unique complexion -- very light but with cool olive undertones. It's hard to find makeup that matches me well. But CoverGirl REALLY overdid it -- I don't know how THIS can be the lightest shade, since it really is very dark. I'm so disappointed. I really wish they made this with fair-skinned girls in mind, because the horrible shade selection aside, this really is a great foundation. Bummed :(

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2012 12:19:00 AM More reviews by Jeanbean7777

This is a great foundation. I like it because the price is so good, its amazingly easy to blend. It's actually very easy to sweep it on. If you have dry skin, don't forget to use moisturizer bit honestly I think this powder is kinda emollient. I like that it takes me 1 minute to put on my makeup and it feels very good and looks good.I like this better than the powder foundation I got from sephora for $42(Laura mercier)....I truly like this covergirl much better.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2012 9:40:00 AM More reviews by applecour

So, I had been using Palladio's Dual Wet/Dry foundation for about a week. Unfortunately it was causing little oil bumps (the ones you squeeze & all that comes out is clear) on my chin. So, luckily I kept the receipt and returned it to Ulta.

After that, I went to Target to look at some cheaper options since my husband & I are trying to cut back. Good thing, because I found out I'm pregnant yesterday. Yay -_- Anyway, I originally purchased Cover Girl Clean Sensitive Skin makeup in warm beige and this compact in Ivory. The clean makeup was way darker than expected, and the ivory looked like straight baby powder over top, so I returned the two. I then purchased Cover Girl Clean Sensitive Skin makeup in buff beige along with the Cover Girl Clean Sensitive Skin powder compact to match. The color was perfect, but maybe that's because the makeup didn't cover anything, and again the powder looked like I did crack around my nose. Needless to say I returned them again and purchased just this compact again in classic ivory. Not only does it cover what I need it to cover, controls oil, and doesn't look too powdery.

Right now, this is HG for me. We'll see after a week what it does to my skin. Updates to come!

EDIT: I realized that you cannot reapply this powder. It makes it look extremely muddy. It also oxidizes into a completely different color. I wouldn't repurchase this. This is definitely one of those instances where you get what you pay for.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2012 11:04:00 AM More reviews by luv4strawberry

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I adore this powder been using it since i was about 15 so 14 yrs now LOL stick with what works i guess.
I enjoy a medium to full coverage look, this provides and extra layer of coverage over my foundation. I find the lightest shade 505 works best for me, enough color to be natural without looking like you put white rice powder on your face (which is my main issue with other CC powders).
I personally love the sponge applicator, however if it's to much coverage using a powder brush works really well too.
The only other shade i've used is the 510 which typically gets worn in the middle of summer when i'm at my darkest.
Tried many other powders throughout the years (mineral powders / Revlons CS powder - which i hate by the way, odd since i love that foundation) and always always come back to this one.
If your looking for extra coverage you should give this a go, for the price i haven't found anything that compares.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/5/2012 4:19:00 PM More reviews by liltweety

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I like this powder because it has great coverage and To me this is a dupe for the MAC studio fix powder. For the price you can't beat it... This is probably the only covergirl powder I will use.