October 23, 2014 | 1107 users online

Polishes - Chanel - Le Vernis Nail Colour in Vamp #18

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2009 7:18:00 PM More reviews by sscoult

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

A gorgeous dark red/purple with shimmer. Get a lot of compliments when I wear it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2009 2:14:00 PM More reviews by ca_sent_beau

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I bought my first and only bottle of Chanel No. 18 Vamp after watching Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction. I did an Internet search to find out what shade her nail polish was and surprisingly it was easy to find out. It was Chanel No. 18 Rouge Noir. I was told that it was marketed under the name Vamp in the US. So I've ordered a bottle of Vamp unseen for $17 back then . Result: big disappointment. I was expecting a clotted blood red creme and what I got instead was a shimmery dark plum. Granted, the shimmer is really very fine, but it still is shimmer. The pigment was very weak, too. One coat looked absolutely horrible - streaky plummy red. I usually went with 3 coats which gave a nice dark colour. Lasting power was great on my toes - went weeks without touch ups - and OK on my hands. The bottle lasted me years and it did not dry, thicken or change texture otherwise, which is a big plus. Eventually, I got rid of the bottle still half full. By then I had found out that despite sharing the same number 18 Vamp and Rouge Noir were two different animals (Thanks MUA!). Since then I was able to get a bottle of the original Rouge Noir and what a difference! I would buy the original again and again, but I won't repurchase Vamp.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2009 2:57:00 PM More reviews by UrbanHibiscus

I have had and repurchased this nailpolish for years now. It is the original vampy dark plummy color imo. Great, shiny finish and just looks so sexy.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2008 2:25:00 PM More reviews by alisonmidd

I love this colour, you can't get it here in the UK, but I bought it of a good ebay seller, who charged a very resonable amount for this (chanel polishes tend to have silly, expensive prices on ebay!). It's a beautiful black/red with very fine silvery shimmer. It has great pigmentation,requiring just two coats for bottle colour, it applies smoothly and is really glossy, it also dries fast like the other chanel polishes I've tried. It's quite similar to tulipe noir except that is a bit more purple and has a golden shimmer, I love them both!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2008 10:06:00 PM More reviews by lisaf6501

This was the first nail polish I've ever purchased that cost more than $10. I'm a sucker for packaging, as mentioned in previous reviews, and Chanel's nail polishes are packaged beautifully. I absolutely believe that, for the most part, luxury items do tend to perform better. I was so sadly mistaken with this nail polish. The color is gorgeous, yes, but the lasting power was virtually nil. I paint my nails often, and my OPI polishes hold up so much better than this one. I may send it back and exchange it for Black or Blue Satin. If you want a similar color for a fraction of the price, try Essie Berry Hard. It doesn't have the small shimmers in it, but the color is beautiful and it actually lasts. Vamp lasted about ONE DAY before it chipped. Not acceptable for $20, at least IMO.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2008 4:46:00 PM More reviews by Cinnabuns

I have the original Vamp from the 90's, and the current Vamp can not hold a candle to it. I had to have it to pair with my Vamp lipstick. Everyone knows when you are wearing this color (trust me). The price was outrageous, but it's still missed. I have since moved on to many other reds such as VS Ruby Slippers (discontinued) and China Glaze's Ruby Pumps (new favorite). There is no other red like the original Vamp so for those of us who had the privilege of experiencing it, the Beauty Fairies were sprinkling us with a bit of heaven. LOL

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2008 1:21:00 PM More reviews by stephanie_

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This was my HG toenail polish for the longest time. It is still something I revert back to from time to time, especially in the winter. But, truth be told, I left Vamp for China Glaze's Vampy. My toes need a minimum of two coats, and the Chanel can get VERY dark. Sometimes, that's what I want. When I don't, I go with Vampy. But, any shade that's been around for almost 15 years is worth taking note of imho.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2008 4:01:00 PM More reviews by mllebovary

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this! I still wear it after all these years--it will always be my absolute favorite nail color :) It goes on beautifully, has a great depth of color, and is so unique looking (despite all the imitators out there now). I still have people who stop me and ask "Is that vamp on your nails?" No joke! I had a bartender do it to me just last week.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2007 5:46:00 PM More reviews by kaori7

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My favorite dark color.

I'm usually into the pinks and the neutrals but I love wearing this color in fall/winter.

Lasts forever, great quality, and I get compliments every time I wear this color.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2007 2:34:00 AM More reviews by ParisXIII

Ok...eventually I'll have to post a note with my eBay guide about Chanel Vamp vs. Chanel Rouge Noir.
Here it is in quick form: NOT THE SAME THING!
And the vamp that was originally released in 1994, not at all like the current version of Vamp that is being sold now!
The new vamp is shimmery, the old vamp was creme.
The new vamp is lighter, the old vamp was darker.
Personally, I prefer the original Vamp, a.k.a. Rouge Noir.
The new vamp is a nice color, but it isn't Vamp to me. It is a nice dark burnt red with a platinum shimmer.