October 24, 2014 | 1587 users online

Hair - Joico - K Pak Smoothing Balm

rated 2 of 5 on 12/8/2008 9:26:00 PM More reviews by Dayna77

I bought into the whole k pak line. I purchased the smoothing balm because I thought this would really help to smooth my hair while roller setting or flat ironing. This is just a so-so product never saw any real results or felt that it did anything special for my hair. I will stick to Aveda Universal styling creme.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/15/2008 1:44:00 PM More reviews by MIAdelaine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Quick background: I have fine, but very thick hair in quite healthy condition. Due to my current short hairstyle flat ironing is an absolute must for me in the morning, and it has to last through an 8 or 9 hours work day. Also I live in Western BC, a rain forest, so often I'm running through the rain or humidity.
This product solves all my problems! I use a pea sized amount, and work it through my damp hair after towel drying. After, I blow dry and flat iron. My hair stays straight through out the day and incredibly resists the wetness of Vancouver. I agree with some reviewers that the packaging couId be better, but so far it hasn't made too much of a mess. did have to do a small amount experimenting with how much to use, too much definetly can leave a tacky, sticky feeling. Less is more, once you find the right amount this product is fantastic. I find using it on wet, rather than dry hair lessens the stickiness as well, and can actually make your hair feel quite smooth. If this product added shine I'd give it 5 out of 5, but a little L'oreal StudioLine Design hairspray takes care of that for me! I would repurchase this product, but with only needing such a tiny amount, that won't be anytime soon!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2008 6:46:00 PM More reviews by cjenn

Wow! Two thumbs up for this amazing product. I have been contemplating buying my beloved Phyto Index I relaxer, which costs $60 a pop. However, after trying this and believe you me, I have tried them all, I am very impressed. At first, I thought that this would weigh my fine hair down, but it doesn't. Granted, I used just a pea sized amount after reading the reviews of others and this worked like a charm. Instantly, I had beautiful, soft, silky, frizz-free hair; a Godsend for me especially when I go down to my villa in the Bahamas. The Bahamas are very humid and this will probably work well for me there! I absolutely LOVE this product and I am so glad that Joico has expanded the K-Pak line; AWESOME STUFF!!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/4/2007 3:09:00 PM More reviews by tiffanylynzer

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I use this product after I blow dry as a thermal protector for when I straighten or curl my hair. It is a little sticky to apply but it certainly does a great job of keeping my hair soft and unfrizzy during my long days. Be careful with this tho, a little goes a LONG way and I expect that it will last me several months. The packaging is really awkward however - it has a cap on the bottom which makes the product leak out and make a mess on my bathroom counter. I used to use CHI 44 Iron Guard and towards the end of the day, my hair would start to get wavy and matted. Not so with this stuff, it does the job!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2007 10:48:00 AM More reviews by ayngemac

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

It's always so depressing when I shell out for something more expensive and it doesn't impress me. I have thick, coarse, straight hair that tends to get dry and frizzy. Usually I stick to Pantene conditioning spray but I thought I'd give this a shot. Pantene is better. Way better. I mixed this with some styling gel and it worked a little better, but the next time I shell out for more expensive styling creme, it'll be Kiehl's or Rusk.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2007 11:12:00 PM More reviews by sterlingK

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Other

I have a very very hard time straightening my hair and have used hundreds of staightening products, the only 2 products that make my hair look actually smooth and leave me with no puffy layers of frizz are this product and joico's silk result straight smoother blow dry creme (the dark red upside down bottle). Both work really well for me, but i find the K-pak resists humidy a little bit better than the silk result which is lighter and makes my hair feel a little softer. If you have hair that just REFUSES to straighten then I'd try this.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/24/2007 11:51:00 AM More reviews by wildcatcutie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Awful, awful product! I loved the K pak restructuring treatment, so I picked this up at the salon. It left my hair kinda rough after blowdrying. Then, as soon as I stepped out the door, my perfectly straight hair poofed up. I had so much hope for this product but it really wasn't anything special at all.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2007 9:46:00 AM More reviews by guil

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is it ladies! Are you looking for smooth, silky hair? Look no further. This product is made for thick, curly hair. Very thick and very curly. I daresay that ladies with only slightly curly or wavy hair will not like this product and I believe that is the source of the "coating" complaints. This is a thick and moisturizing product and it WILL leave a coating on your hair. Honestly, my hair is so thick and curly I could literally pour an entire bottle of olive oil on it and the oil would NOT weigh my hair down. This product gave me a smooth blow-out, and I definitely noticed a dramatic difference when I used my flat iron. My hair has never this soft and smooth after straightening. I only recommend this product to ladies with extremely curly and thick hair. You will not be disappointed with this product.
For reference, I have 4a/4b hair, past shoulder length when straightened, I use the entire Joico K-Pak line, I use a Hot Tools Ionic blowdryer, A CHI 1" ceramic flat iron, CHI infusion when flat ironing. continued >>

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2006 8:56:00 AM More reviews by Tina68

This leaves my hair with a sticky feeling and it is almost impossible to get a comb or brush through. I wouldn't say it even straightens or smooths my hair that much. Once my hair is dried and flat-iron it feels like it has a coating of product on it and I can feel it on my hands when I run my hands through my hair. I will not repurchase this. Ever.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/11/2005 11:06:00 AM More reviews by Mander321

I dont like this product at all. Its too creamy and leaves a coating on my hair - Plus it doesnt really help me smooth it, and there are much better products out there that help with the humidity. Smells like Banana's or something.