October 24, 2014 | 1549 users online

Cleansers - Burt's Bees - Orange Essence Facial Cleanser

rated 2 of 5 on 12/17/2013 10:45:00 PM More reviews by gilliannc

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

The smell is awesome but the cleaning power is not! It seems to disappear as soon as i put on my face and end up using way more that i would want in a pricey cleanser. It seems to work a little better if you put it on dry skin instead of wet as the directions suggest. Also, if you don't immediatley put the lid on you will lose half the tube!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2013 1:02:00 PM More reviews by jpe020

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this cleanser! The winters where I live are very cold and dry, and even though I have very oily skin, I get dry patches on my face (wind burn properly). This cleanser really helped moisturize my skin. Admittedly the oiliness of the cleanser was a bit weird in the beginning as it doesn't really lather, but after awhile I really got used to in, and actually prefer it to the soapy lathery cleansers. I don't know why some people don't like the smell, I think it helps me wake up in the mornings. Would definitely recommend this cleanser - I have tried A LOT of cleansers, and this is one of my fav.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/15/2013 11:33:00 AM More reviews by angieta

Okay, let me begin by stating at one point in time I was an avid Burt's Bees enthusiast. I knew of them before anyone else (I know) heard of them. I would scope out health food stores in search of their products that were 100% natural. My skin never looked better and seemed to enjoy every product I used like it was being fed a five-star dessert. They were true to their word and when you bought the products they came in tin and simple glass jar packaging. When you looked at the odd constancy of their products it didn't look as regal as name brands but you knew you were getting something unique and special. And it ALL WORKED.

Unfortunately, like most great products, they were sell outs. Their declaration of all natural has began to wither and my skin can tell the difference.

Over the years I watched this fantastic company that once stood by 100% Natural guarantee turn into a mainstream line that has failed to provide what it was founded on. They have changed their packaging and I have suffered as they tamper with their ingredients. What may be in a product ingredient list today - may not be there in 6 months. Or something new may have been added. Keep an eye on the labeling and you'll see.

Burt's Bees Orange Essence Facial Cleanser, that once came in a tin tube, is one of those brilliant products that some greedy honcho has decided to alter. For years, the number one ingredient was Olive Oil, I've have seen it change to sunflower oil and now it's glycerin. I give this product 4 stars because it still remains to be the best overall skincare cleanser I've ever used. I suffer from very dry skin and an over oily T-zone. I wash my face with this cleanser and have done so for well over 10 years every day. After the cleansing my face feels smooth and NEVER dried out like I find with other cleansers and soaps. I do still recommend this product to all skin types. The orange oil cuts grease and dirt while the other ingredients help sooth dry skin.

However, be forewarned by a very long time user. This product while it serves it's purpose has been given only 4 stars instead of 5. Something about the product is constantly changing, That makes loyal users who have found something that works for them very nervous. I have also over the years noticed an increase in blackheads and large pores on my face. I do find this product somewhat responsible as I have noticed changes in my skin as they constantly change and shuffle the ingredients. The original version was heaven sent and now while it's still a good product it's still not like it was when it first hit the shelves.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 8/17/2013 1:56:00 AM More reviews by 702makeup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Hazel

I was really hoping that I would like this product! It was my first Burt's bees facial cleanser purchase.

Positive: Has a nice fresh orange smell, left skin feeling soft and my skin smelled good, like oranges!

Negative: On the website the product has one description that states "100% natural plant-based cleanser and Sulfate-Free", but yet the product has Lanolin! Lanolin is oil from sheep's fur/skin!!

I haven't broke out in months, then all the sudden I used this product and the next day I felt a bump on my chin! I believe the lanolin in this is what clogged my pores and made me break out. My skin felt a little tight after use and left residue no matter how much I rinsed. If you do a google search you will find that lanolin can clog pores.

Bummer!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2013 12:36:00 AM More reviews by Bellykutler

This is by far the best facial cleanser I've ever used. I have combination skin... Too much moisture and it becomes oily, not enough and it becomes dry. Moisturizers almost always make it oily, but even the most moisturizing facial cleansers make it dry. This. Was. Perfect. It doesn't feel like it's working, but it does the job. I'm not typically prone to acne but I do get minors breakouts - this eliminated them completely. I had no acne the entire time I used it. I also never needed moisturizer (which can be really expensive) or powder to help with the oil. Best facial cleanser I've ever used by far, and I have tried a ton of them. WILL be purchasing again - if I could only find it!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2013 9:40:00 PM More reviews by binkies06

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is, by and large, the best cleanser I have ever used. They've just recently changed the packaging (was previously a dark orange bottle, now a white bottle) which also became reformulated and after finding this out, I went and ordered 15 from an online site in the orange bottle because this cleanser is THAT good!!

I have very sensitive, dry to normal/combo skin (really, my nose only gets a little oily sometimes, while the rest of my face is almost always tight and dry,) with very dry skin in the winter. Though my skin is mostly dry, I've been battling breakouts for the past 14 years (since I was 11). My nose is really nothing but sebaceous filaments, super large and clogged pores around my nose and just creeping onto my cheeks, and I get break outs along my jawline, chin, cheekbones, and forehead of at least one to two pimples at all times somewhere on my face with more around the week before my period (the jawline, is prone to cystic acne fyi).

I had been using the Gentle Cetaphil for years but really didn't like that the only ingredients were water, some alcohols, and two or three parabens. I was at Walgreens and since they'll let you take anything back if you don't like it, I figured id try it. It does have a bit of a learning curve almost, and yes, it does leave a "film". I've found the best way for it to work is to have my face slightly damp. I use the dermalogica precleanse to take my makeup of and essentially squeegee off the water before applying this. I do use it with my clarisonic and have had the best results in doing so.

The first day or two, my skin did itch a little when I used it. The first two weeks, I did notice more breakouts but this is fairly common with any product. The "film" mentioned is just the extra moisturizers of natural oils that seep into your skin after patting dry and the feeling goes away within a few minutes. Since using my clarisonic as of week three to now (week five), the results have been even better. My skintone is even and the purple post-acne marks I've had forEVER are greatly diminished. It's amazing. I don't recommend using this for eye makeup remover, however, because it has orange peel oil in it. It would be like orange juice getting in your eyes.

If you're one who likes that "squeaky clean" feeling from a cleanser (which, in working with skincare, is really just the feeling of your skin being stripped), this cleanser is not for you. But if you want a cleanser that softens and doesn't leave your skin terribly parched, this is it. Best. Cleanser. EVER

rated 2 of 5 on 6/9/2013 3:07:00 PM More reviews by beautykrazy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I bought this after hearing good reviews, what stuck in my mind was Katie Puckrik describing it as one of her fave pick-me-up fragranced products. It does has a gorgeous orange-botanical scent. As a lover of orange oil and citrus scents I really appreciate the strong, reviving scent of this cleanser. It really makes it something I want to reach for, it gives it the feel of an aromatherapy spa product - luxurious and packed with gorgeous treatment ingredients. I also like the thick oily consistency, it reminds me of my days using the Eve Lom cleanser & muslin cloth. It's full of natural skin-saving things I love in facial products such as oat extract.
I wanted another oil-based, wash off cleanser that removed every last scrap of makeup & grime without too much hassle. I wanted a cleanser to help me on dry, sensitive days. I use it with a muslin cloth. However I didn't really get on with it and can't recommend this. I found it hard to spread across the face and the slightly gritty feel made me not want to rub too hard. This doesn't wash off well, it leaves a residue that I didn't like. It doesn't remove makeup well and I woke up with a cystic acne breakout two days in and I'm not acne prone. It removes eye makeup particularly badly as it stings the eyes, I think it's the orange oil that stings eyes. I didn't find it did anything beneficial and isn't an effective cleanser even on no-makeup days. My face never feels clean afterwards. The only things I enjoy is the gorgeous smell, plus the packaging is lovely. Sorry Burts' Bees, wanted to love this but didn't, sadly.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/29/2013 5:13:00 AM More reviews by kittyc

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

There seem to be three general issues with this product: firstly that it is fairly heavily fragranced; secondly that it can leave a oily residue; and thirdly that it is '100% natural'.

Fragrance: the product is scented with orange oil, you either like that or you don't. I'm normally cautious about over-scented products because really, fragrance does not add to the product's performance and could actually be irritating. But I do enjoy the scent of this one and find it aromatherapeutic. At the end of a long day, it's nice take a few minutes to myself while I take my makeup off. Once I had an orange oil-scented shampoo and that was lovely too.

Too oily?: the product contains glycerin, olive oil, lanolin, and other oils. So if that does not suit your skin type, keep away from this product. I'm quite fine with it, but I never use foaming cleansers because my skin is dry already, and I hate that taut feeling that foaming cleansers leave. This cleanser leaves my skin feeling comfortable and I almost don't need a moisturiser.

100% natural: take it or leave it. Natural substances can be irritating, perhaps toxic, so a product that is '100% natural' may not be as beneficial as it sounds.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/23/2013 9:13:00 AM More reviews by JessEVS

Really like this stuff.. I have acne prone skin and I have been aiming to rid of my crappy skin from the inside out so I am happy to find something that only CLEANS my skin, not trying to do a bunch of other things. It has not made my skin any worse and the idea is that oils dissolve dirt; this is how it is cleaning.

TIP.. Use it on a dry face and really let it warm up on your skin (thins it out a bit, easier to spread) and massage your face with it. When I first used it it would leave a little residue but I think it's because the cleansing part is more about your hands and how your massage it. I gently massage and rinse with warm water and my skin feels properly clean without being annoying dry like most products.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/18/2013 7:54:00 AM More reviews by kmm82512

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I almost never get acne, but this cleanser somehow gave me pimples on my cheeks and chin during the ten or so days that I tried it. At first I thought it was my new moisturizer causing this, but I eventually found out that it was in fact the cleanser that was to blame. I was surprised at this because all of the ingredients in this cleanser are natural. However, one of the ingredients is vegetable oil and is known to be comedogenic, so I'm thinking that had to have been what caused it. I have not used this cleanser in a little over a week and my skin is back to being clear and acne-free.

Some other notable things about this cleanser: It has an odd, thick gel-like consistency, and it smells like orange popsicles. I didn't mind it that much, but others might not like its scent. Also, instead of leaving my face feeling fresh and clean, it left it feeling slightly sticky. I don't recommend it and I won't be buying it again.