April 19, 2014 | 1706 users online

Cleansers - Burt's Bees - Orange Essence Facial Cleanser

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2013 12:36:00 AM More reviews by Bellykutler

This is by far the best facial cleanser I've ever used. I have combination skin... Too much moisture and it becomes oily, not enough and it becomes dry. Moisturizers almost always make it oily, but even the most moisturizing facial cleansers make it dry. This. Was. Perfect. It doesn't feel like it's working, but it does the job. I'm not typically prone to acne but I do get minors breakouts - this eliminated them completely. I had no acne the entire time I used it. I also never needed moisturizer (which can be really expensive) or powder to help with the oil. Best facial cleanser I've ever used by far, and I have tried a ton of them. WILL be purchasing again - if I could only find it!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2013 9:40:00 PM More reviews by binkies06

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is, by and large, the best cleanser I have ever used. They've just recently changed the packaging (was previously a dark orange bottle, now a white bottle) which also became reformulated and after finding this out, I went and ordered 15 from an online site in the orange bottle because this cleanser is THAT good!!

I have very sensitive, dry to normal/combo skin (really, my nose only gets a little oily sometimes, while the rest of my face is almost always tight and dry,) with very dry skin in the winter. Though my skin is mostly dry, I've been battling breakouts for the past 14 years (since I was 11). My nose is really nothing but sebaceous filaments, super large and clogged pores around my nose and just creeping onto my cheeks, and I get break outs along my jawline, chin, cheekbones, and forehead of at least one to two pimples at all times somewhere on my face with more around the week before my period (the jawline, is prone to cystic acne fyi).

I had been using the Gentle Cetaphil for years but really didn't like that the only ingredients were water, some alcohols, and two or three parabens. I was at Walgreens and since they'll let you take anything back if you don't like it, I figured id try it. It does have a bit of a learning curve almost, and yes, it does leave a "film". I've found the best way for it to work is to have my face slightly damp. I use the dermalogica precleanse to take my makeup of and essentially squeegee off the water before applying this. I do use it with my clarisonic and have had the best results in doing so.

The first day or two, my skin did itch a little when I used it. The first two weeks, I did notice more breakouts but this is fairly common with any product. The "film" mentioned is just the extra moisturizers of natural oils that seep into your skin after patting dry and the feeling goes away within a few minutes. Since using my clarisonic as of week three to now (week five), the results have been even better. My skintone is even and the purple post-acne marks I've had forEVER are greatly diminished. It's amazing. I don't recommend using this for eye makeup remover, however, because it has orange peel oil in it. It would be like orange juice getting in your eyes.

If you're one who likes that "squeaky clean" feeling from a cleanser (which, in working with skincare, is really just the feeling of your skin being stripped), this cleanser is not for you. But if you want a cleanser that softens and doesn't leave your skin terribly parched, this is it. Best. Cleanser. EVER

rated 2 of 5 on 6/9/2013 3:07:00 PM More reviews by beautykrazy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I bought this after hearing good reviews, what stuck in my mind was Katie Puckrik describing it as one of her fave pick-me-up fragranced products. It does has a gorgeous orange-botanical scent. As a lover of orange oil and citrus scents I really appreciate the strong, reviving scent of this cleanser. It really makes it something I want to reach for, it gives it the feel of an aromatherapy spa product - luxurious and packed with gorgeous treatment ingredients. I also like the thick oily consistency, it reminds me of my days using the Eve Lom cleanser & muslin cloth. It's full of natural skin-saving things I love in facial products such as oat extract.
I wanted another oil-based, wash off cleanser that removed every last scrap of makeup & grime without too much hassle. I wanted a cleanser to help me on dry, sensitive days. I use it with a muslin cloth. However I didn't really get on with it and can't recommend this. I found it hard to spread across the face and the slightly gritty feel made me not want to rub too hard. This doesn't wash off well, it leaves a residue that I didn't like. It doesn't remove makeup well and I woke up with a cystic acne breakout two days in and I'm not acne prone. It removes eye makeup particularly badly as it stings the eyes, I think it's the orange oil that stings eyes. I didn't find it did anything beneficial and isn't an effective cleanser even on no-makeup days. My face never feels clean afterwards. The only things I enjoy is the gorgeous smell, plus the packaging is lovely. Sorry Burts' Bees, wanted to love this but didn't, sadly.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/29/2013 5:13:00 AM More reviews by kittyc

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

There seem to be three general issues with this product: firstly that it is fairly heavily fragranced; secondly that it can leave a oily residue; and thirdly that it is '100% natural'.

Fragrance: the product is scented with orange oil, you either like that or you don't. I'm normally cautious about over-scented products because really, fragrance does not add to the product's performance and could actually be irritating. But I do enjoy the scent of this one and find it aromatherapeutic. At the end of a long day, it's nice take a few minutes to myself while I take my makeup off. Once I had an orange oil-scented shampoo and that was lovely too.

Too oily?: the product contains glycerin, olive oil, lanolin, and other oils. So if that does not suit your skin type, keep away from this product. I'm quite fine with it, but I never use foaming cleansers because my skin is dry already, and I hate that taut feeling that foaming cleansers leave. This cleanser leaves my skin feeling comfortable and I almost don't need a moisturiser.

100% natural: take it or leave it. Natural substances can be irritating, perhaps toxic, so a product that is '100% natural' may not be as beneficial as it sounds.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/23/2013 9:13:00 AM More reviews by JessEVS

Really like this stuff.. I have acne prone skin and I have been aiming to rid of my crappy skin from the inside out so I am happy to find something that only CLEANS my skin, not trying to do a bunch of other things. It has not made my skin any worse and the idea is that oils dissolve dirt; this is how it is cleaning.

TIP.. Use it on a dry face and really let it warm up on your skin (thins it out a bit, easier to spread) and massage your face with it. When I first used it it would leave a little residue but I think it's because the cleansing part is more about your hands and how your massage it. I gently massage and rinse with warm water and my skin feels properly clean without being annoying dry like most products.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/18/2013 7:54:00 AM More reviews by kmm82512

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I almost never get acne, but this cleanser somehow gave me pimples on my cheeks and chin during the ten or so days that I tried it. At first I thought it was my new moisturizer causing this, but I eventually found out that it was in fact the cleanser that was to blame. I was surprised at this because all of the ingredients in this cleanser are natural. However, one of the ingredients is vegetable oil and is known to be comedogenic, so I'm thinking that had to have been what caused it. I have not used this cleanser in a little over a week and my skin is back to being clear and acne-free.

Some other notable things about this cleanser: It has an odd, thick gel-like consistency, and it smells like orange popsicles. I didn't mind it that much, but others might not like its scent. Also, instead of leaving my face feeling fresh and clean, it left it feeling slightly sticky. I don't recommend it and I won't be buying it again.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2013 4:32:00 PM More reviews by ninjalips

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It sounded like a great idea at first. Natural, lovely orange smell, all natural, no parabens, petrochemicals, no added fragrance etc. until I tried it. Bad reaction, red skin, itching, rash that went on for several days. Way too harsh for super sensitive skin like mine. Too irritating maybe due to orange oil. Once more, I reminded myself that because something is all natural, doesn't make it automatically good! Live and learn. Additionally, it left an unpleasant film on my skin after washing it off and felt really greasy. Sensitive skin types , please be cautious.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2013 12:52:00 PM More reviews by BrittaBot

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This stuff really exceeded my expectations.

The texture is thinner than petroleum jelly, and it's orange instead of clear, but it spreads about the face in the same way, except that it feels soothing and luxurious during the process. It also has a lovely, light orange smell that provides a sense of aromatherapy, and it's easy to either wipe off with a towel or rinse off in the shower. Surprisingly, even when I rub this around and onto my eyelids, there is no stinging or burning, which I find kind of amazing since even cold creams sting my eyes.

I have normal/oily skin, and this product has been a great winter cleanser because it's very gentle and cushioning, and I typically don't need moisturizer afterward because my skin feels comfortable and soft. I also feel like this cleanser has helped my skin look even and radiant because it's not getting stripped, dried out, or scrubbed. I'm happy that I don't need any foundation to make my skin good.

The only reason this gets a 4 out of 5 is that it's not the best at removing eye makeup like mascara and liner, but it does well at removing everything else if you use a towel or cotton pad.

Truly an effective and unique product since it does its job well and is even an ideal shape and size for travel. Don't let the fact that it's creamy turn you away–I think even acne-prone skins would benefit from this because it's gentle, inert in its ingredients, and a good medium for exfoliating with a warm cloth.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/27/2012 2:45:00 PM More reviews by Julia7239

I use this intermittantly when not using my dermoligca. I like it as i use it as an astringent moisturisering mask in winter. I love the smell and the textture and it leaves my skin feeling refreshed. It is a good goliday cleanser. I would not use it everyday ongoing though, as i feel it is a little strong

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2012 3:54:00 PM More reviews by GardenValleyGirl

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I LOVE BB's Orange Facial Cleanser! Tried it on a whim because I was looking for something more natural that wouldn't sting my eyes and this is it. Smells amazing, does have a warming effect when you massage it into dry skin, and it takes off all my daily makeup (including Dior Hypnose Drama mascara) leaving my skin soft and ready for my night time routine of AHAs and moisture. Like earlier reviews state, it does not leave your skin squeeky clean but soft and moist so it is best for dry (not sensitive) skin. I remove it with splashes of warm water and a Sephora facial sponge. Perfect!