Kevyn Aucoin Volumizing Mascara

3.9

on 4/16/2012 11:55:00 AM

ah I am soooo disappointed! I was hoping to love this product - saw some really rave reviews and decided to splash out. But it is definitely not living up to expectations considering the price (20.00). The colour is fine - I can't criticise that; a good intense black - but the consistency is quite wet and clumps my lashes, which are quite long and thick, into points, giving a thick spider leg effect instead of a full-lashed look. Perhaps it does not do this on shorter / finer lashes? I have to work hard with a comb through brush after applying to get the lashes unclumped again. I wouldn't say it adds much length or volume either. the other downside is that when you remove it, you get little flakes of black all over your face! It ends up being quite a messy job and a bit time-consuming. The packaging is quite nice - a slim, dark red tube that looks very elegant in the makeup bag. However, overall, I'm unimpressed, and would not buy it again. I'm sticking with my HG to date - Stila Major Major Lash Mascara.

This was my HG for soooo long. However, I'm noticing that my tube has gone from drying up in 4-5 months (I know, I know, you should be throwing them out every 3 months) to losing that nice, smooth "new mascara" feel in seriously under a month. I am almost positive that something in this product has changed. It's harder to apply without clumps, feels wetter somehow but isn't coating my lashes as well as it used to. Additionally, the 3 tubes I've bought this year have all had weird alignment issues where they don't close as well/evenly as they used to, which I think is adding to the drying out issue.

Here in Australia we went through months and months of it being unavailable (last year I think) and my MA actually confided that they were all worried that the company was going under. I wouldn't be that surprised if the formula had been tweaked...

I haven't used anything else yet, because I'm so utterly, utterly into tube mascaras vs regular ones. I would MUCH rather a couple of little flakes on my skin during the day than panda eyes. Not to mention this stuff is still a dream to remove (remember to be gentle).
But I think I'll try blinc or something else later.

on 2/11/2011 6:26:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This is my fourth tube and I wonder if there has been a change in the formula because I have to agree with the most recent comments. Previously, this mascara built nice thick lashes with no flaking - though the tubing formula meant it flaked off in "tubes" when I washed - but this recent tube I bought I noticed it doesn't build up as quickly and it tends to stay wet longer and doesn't hold a curl. It just generally take more work. I know that they are under new creative management since last year and wonder if they are tweaking formulas? If so, these are NOT good changes.

on 1/24/2011 7:23:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

WORST mascara ever. It flakes, clumps, and drops off onto your face all day long. I feel myself constantly checking if I have black flakes on my face! Waste of money! I am in love with Geisha Ink's mascara but the girl at the boutique urged me to try this. I am soooo disappointed....straight into the garbage it goes.
It honestly does not even come close to my HG Geisha Ink Mascara!

on 1/24/2011 2:41:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

This mascara was almost exactly like Kiss-me, which I am not a fan of. Did not volumize and created the tubes around the lashes. I was disappointed the products were so similar.

**UPDATE- Geisha Ink's volume mascara is 1000x better then this one. If you were unhappy with this mascara, try Geisha Ink**

on 1/1/2011 10:02:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I hate mascaras that smear on the bottom of my eye area. I dont like the raccoon effect since it makes me look tired. For some reason waterproof formulas still do that raccoon effect and I have bought all brands from drugstore to the really expensive ones, I finally found the mascara for me! I LOVE THIS FORMULA! It only comes off with warm water, and it coats your lashes with this black film. Its perfect! It never smears on me ever. I have tried Blinc, I still like Kevyn better just because the brush of Kevyn is better for me since I have very tiny lashes and it catches them all! I use this everyday and its really my go to mascara!

on 5/31/2010 7:16:00 AM

This one I loove! I was using ZA cutie curl volume for a couple of years before this and switched to some others (Lancome hypnose, Armani eyes to kill) but couldn't find one better to suit my short straight-ish lashes. This mascara is it! It has a small brush which is crucial to reach all my lashes without accidentally smearing the surrounding areas. It voluminizes well, like the ZA. But even better than the ZA, it doesn't smudge!!! Great for my oily lids. Comes off alright with an oil cleanser. A tip though, I use shiseido's mascara base first which helps to keep the curl much better, but that's the case for all the mascaras I've tried. 2 squeezes of the curler, 2 coats of base, and 2 coats of this lead to happy lashes!

great black volume effect. stays all day and all night with no smudging. unfortunately the tube dries up quite quickly so it is an expensive habit.

on 1/17/2010 9:55:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

So, I'm on the younger end of this age bracket but I'm very dry-skinned and use eye cream. I have no tolerance for flakes or smudges in mascara and am drawn to mascaras that "tube" the eyelash.

I so wanted to love this. I'd been keeping an eye out for it for years, based on good reviews from MUA, and found it ON SALE through the holidays when I stopped by Sephora looking for a new cologne for my husband. I snagged it. I've been giving it a shot exclusively since. It doesn't flake or smudge -- so kudos for that. The brush or formulation, though, is reliably CLUMPY, regardless of how I apply this. I'd like good pigmented color on my otherwise decent lashes -- long lower lashes; naturally curled but shorter upper lashes than I'd like. It removes as do other tube-based lashes, but the wildly unnatural, clumpy look translates to a "no repurchase," regardless of the sale price. I'm back to Fiberwig -- which I do love.

on 11/21/2009 10:04:00 PM

www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp?itemid=18713
I LOVE this mascara! It is the only one that does not smudge or move at all. The way it removes is its best feature: I run some warm water over my hands, put my fingers under my eyes, blink and presto it's gone! The other make up I have on my eyes takes longer to take off! I am so happy that it's at Sephora now, not just a Neiman Marcus...