Aquanil cleanser

4.3

I used Aquanil on the recommendation of my dermatologist (she said it is what she uses at home), and I LOVE IT. I use a prescription acne medicine (epiduo, <3) and so I don't feel like I need anything crazy out of my face wash. Aquanil leaves my face feeling so soft and calm. It never stings, and doesn't leave my skin feeling tight. I definitely prefer it to Cetaphil. My only issue is that it's not the greatest at taking off eye makeup, so I use grape seed oil on a q-tip for that. But otherwise, it's awesome! and you can use it without water (hence the name), so it's great for the winter when you are already so dry. And it comes in a huge pump container which is very convenient and lasts forever. Hooray!

on 10/9/2009 9:23:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Aquanil is not available in Canada so I had to order from skinwest. I'm so glad I did! You get a big bottle for cheap, and the packaging is nice and durable.

My skin is prone to eczema, itchiness, and dryness so choosing the right cleanser is very important for my overall skin health. At first I thought this would be like Cetaphil, wihch didn't work for me. However, after using it for a week, by itself in the morning and with Clarisonic at night, I am sold! The texture is nice and "lotiony," and there is no fragrance, which I love. It spreads very easily and smoothly on my face and rinses off easily as well. I also like that it does not foam at all because it doesn't get into my hair this way. After cleansing, my skin is left calm and clean. It doesn't dry me out at all; I just feel refreshed. I pre-cleanse at night with mu remover before using Aquanil because I don't believe it will remove water resistant sunscreen or mu thoroughly, given it's a very gentle cleanser. This will be my HG cleanser throughout winter!

on 7/12/2009 10:19:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Me: 22, combination skin - dry cheeks/forehead, oily nose/chin. Red & sensitive.

The product: $12 will get you a 16 ounce bottle of Aquanil, but I emailed Person & Covey, the manufacturers, asking for a sample. They very generously sent me two 1 ounce samples of Aquanil. This is a very slimey liquid cleanser, not thick at all (it's the xanthan gum) with no scent. It reminds me of Cerave in texture.

My experience: I used this in the morning and attempted it on both wet and dry skin. Neither way worked; it left my skin dry and tight. There was no film, like my old morning cleanser, but I can't use a cleanser that leaves me feeling like I need to moisturize RIGHT away. After a couple days I started getting a patina of whiteheads, so I think I'm probably sensitive to SLES on top of everything else. I ended up giving the Aquanil samples to my little sister.

Ingredients: Water Purified, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Benzyl Alcohol, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Xanthan Gum continued >>

on 7/1/2009 12:37:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is the best cleanser that I've found for my combination skin. It's pretty much an HG for me. In the past 5 years, I've tried over 30 different cleansers, and none of them have been as good as this one. If Cetaphil didn't work for you, give this one a try! The only downside to it is that it doesn't remove makeup very well, but I don't wear a lot so that isn't much of a problem for me. It's still, overall, a great, gentle facial clenaser.

on 5/31/2009 1:19:00 AM

Great gentle cleanser. My skin felt so soft and smooth, and looked calmer and less red. I like it better than Cetaphil. I have occasional sensitivity, so I don't need this all the time. I can't comment on breakout potential and build-up. It can't remove sunscreen or water-resistant m/u. I tried using this first, then washing with my regular cleanser to remove any traces of makeup. It worked well for me. The Aquanil was like a buffer. My skin was clean, but not red at all. Very soothing. I'd buy this again.

This product did not work for my oily, acne-prone skin. Despite the fact that I also used Fancle oil-based cleanser beforehand, I broke out from this cleanser, even while I was on Accutane. I am not sure whether I broke out because of one of the specific ingredients or because it did not cleanse anything off my face, but I would guess the later. I do not recommend it.

on 2/26/2009 1:11:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I enjoyed this cleanser. My friend gave me a sample one day and it felt so nice and not harsh on my face. It is better than Cetaphil. I get mine off drugstore.com and it lasts a while. I am not currently using it that much unless I feel my face needs a break from all the other things I try.

on 2/26/2009 11:43:00 AM

This is a fantastic alternative for those of us with sodium lauryl sulfate sensitivity. Cetaphil would burn like the fires of hell around my nose, eyes and chin (I'm prone to perioral dermatitis), but I always thought "It's Cetaphil -- it's gentle."

Did a little research, and now I've cut out all SLS and my scalp, face, body, and even gums (!) feel so much better. I used to think that products had to feel a bit uncomfortable if they were truly cleaning -- eyelashes are supposed to feel like they're falling out, right? -- when really SLS is in so many products it was hard to see the forest for the trees.

This does clean well, but I have to use it twice: once all over face and eye makeup, removed with warm, damp washcloth; and a second time massaged and rinsed. Supersoft, calm skin, and pain-free.

on 10/14/2008 2:40:00 PM

This is a fantastic cleanser for those with sensitive skin. It's 100 times better than Cetaphil. The one caveat is that you have to use something else to remove your makeup and sunscreen first, or you'll end up breaking out or constantly feeling like you've got residue left on your face (because you will - it's not powerful enough to remove makeup).

on 8/8/2008 6:51:00 PM