August 27, 2014 | 1778 users online

Hair Treatments - Joico - k-pak deep penetrating reconstructor

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 10/13/2013 8:37:00 PM More reviews by nualab67

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Simply not as good as the two holy-grails of deep reconstructive treatments.

They are:
1) Aphogee two step protein treatment. Cheap, odd, long winded to use, but absolutely professional quality results
2)Nexxus Emergencee - expensive, quick, liquid silk (literally) in a bottle.

Joico K-pak is cheap and easy to use. But it contains a significantly lower amount of protein than either of the two above - and so is simply not as effective.

I was torn between giving it 3 stars and 4. Ideally it earns 3 1/2,. It does a modest job on modestly damaged hair. For seriously damaged hair then find either the time or the money for the other two I recommend.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/9/2013 4:02:00 PM More reviews by DecoDolly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I had high hopes for this, due to the great reviews, but it disappointed me. I've been slowly transitioning from black back to blonde, keeping my hair bobbed short so that the ends are always being trimmed off, but I obviously still have some damage. I just finished the bottle, and I have to say, I feel like it did nothing. Never once did I use it and feel as though the condition of my hair was improved at all. I'm not protein sensitive. In fact, I've used other protein treatments with much much better results. IMHO, Dumb Blonde and the Nexxus protein treatment work much better. Now I know!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2013 12:02:00 PM More reviews by SHeust

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Back when I started dying (and over-dying) my hair, my sister recommended I try this after one too many box jobs that left my hair really parched and breaking off. I LOVE the smell of it, which is like a pina colada, as well as the texture which is thick, creamy and kind of oat-y (if that makes any sense). I would soak my hair with this stuff, throw a shower cap over it and let it sit for half an hour before rinsing and it really did improve my hair's condition. Although there is nothing you can do about split ends, it did improve the softness, shine and overall strength of my hair. It's pricey, so I would only use it in a dire hair situation, but it can help!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/25/2013 5:21:00 AM More reviews by JohnnyMakeup

The only way I found it was working with me, was to leave it in for at least an hour instead of the said 3-5 or 15min. I loved how smooth and silky it made my hair feel. But I didn't notice any 'improvement' in the condition, since as I stopped using it - my hair went in the exact same condition. I think the silkiness and smoothness was also due to heavy dosage of dimethicones in there. I'd buy it again once it goes on sale.
I am now using a Lanza keratin leave in conditioner as 1-a-week treatment, which has got far more keratin protein in, as well as vitamin B and other oils, and I find it really does recover my hair A LOT after all the bleaching. Plus it's cheaper, too. I'd say shop around and look at ingredients lists when looking for protein masks.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2013 8:41:00 PM More reviews by Pnut30

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

LOVEEEEEE this stuff!!! I use this in conjunction with my reg conditioner and its AMAZING stuff!! Really helps dry damaged hair and makes it super soft and manageable! Will continue to purchase in future.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/15/2013 3:28:00 AM More reviews by VerniePie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have been bleaching and coloring (going from brunette to blonde and back again over and over) non-stop since I was a teenager. My hair is pretty thick and coarse and can tolerate a lot of the abuse I dish out but between bleaching to go blonde then going back to brunette then bleaching it again etc even my hair can get damaged and Joico K-pak really restores a lot of the strength and resilience back to my hair.

If your hair is over-processed from bleaching, coloring, perming, chemically straightening etc then a protein treatment is a must especially if your hair feels brittle or if it is breaking off. Chemical services break down the protein bonds of your hair so you need to use a protein treatment (reconstructor) to put the protein back. Joico k-pak does a really great job of restoring strength and health back to my hair. My hair always feels stronger and not as brittle after I use it, it also stops breakage. I really do not like to spend a lot of money and my only issue with this product is that it is a little pricey, but it does work! If your purse really won't stretch to Joico and you need a protein treatment than a good inexpensive alternative is Nutress Protein pack which is available at Sally's and other BSS. It is a fraction of the price and it also works pretty well.

****Note on Protein treatments**** Just like how bodybuilders take protein to beef up their muscles, Protein treatments do the same thing to your hair which is great if your hair is brittle or breaking but if you just use a protein treatment and don't follow up with a moisturizing conditioner/treatment you are not going to like the way your hair feels because it's "beefing" up your hair and it can make your hair feel very hard and sometimes a bit dry. Follow up with a good moisturizing conditioner after your protein treatment to make your hair feel soft again (I like Nexxus Humectress or for a cheaper alternative Aussie 3-minute Moist) This product is used for adding STRENGTH to brittle or breaking hair you still need to use a separate moisturizing treatment for moisture and softness.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2013 7:31:00 AM More reviews by Devildog4025

When I was in high school, I used to swim a lot in the summer. As winter drew closer and my hair started to grow out, it was very obvious that the chlorine had bleached my hair and my dad sent me to a stylist to get it fixed. Well, before you knew it, I was Pam Anderson bleached blonde. Even though I had virgin hair back then and was young, my hair broke off like CRAZY, and this was the only product that quelled that problem. I used this for years and years.
When I came back from Iraq after military duty, my hair again was a MESS (hello 145 degree heat and crazy, heavy head gear). And this came to my rescue.
As I've gotten older, I only really need this MAYBE once a month. Reason being because it repairs that good that I don't need it that often. That is a true hallmark of a great product... the less you need it, the more it is doing what it is supposed to do. But if you haven't tried this, you should. I feel like you do need to use a large amount, but it's a GREAT reconstructer and well worth the price tag.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2013 10:21:00 AM More reviews by lehaller

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This product is amazing! If you have blonde, damaged, and dry hair you will love this! I am naturally a dark brunette, but I get my hair highlighted with bleach every 6 weeks. Even my hair stylist said my hair felt and is looking so much better since I've been using this. It is a little pricey compared to drug store prodcuts, but since this works so well I have no problem paying the price. I will repurchase this whenever I run out. I use this once a week (sometimes twice, but usually once) and leave it on my hair for only 5 mintues. Here's my process: I shampoo like normal and then I put the reconstructor all through the bottom two-thirds of my hair, especially on the ends since they're the most damaged. I put a shower cap over that and let that sit while I do other things in the shower. After 5 mintues I rinse it out and then I immediately follow with the Joico Intense Hydrator. I put that all through my hair and put a shower cap over that as well and let that sit for 5 mintues. After the 5 minutes are up, I rinse it out and my hair is so soft and smooth. After I blow-dry it I can see and feel a difference. I only have to wash my hair twice a week (thanks to dry shampoo), so I do this every-other time I wash my hair. If you wash your hair more, you could probably do this twice a week, but I just do all of this once a week. I hope this helps someone because these products are saving my hair!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2013 9:25:00 PM More reviews by enydonus

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Can't live without it. My hair has been through hell and back over the years and nothing else has been able to make it feel strong and normal. When I was in my teens I did try out almost every treatment Sally's offered but they didn't really do much for the state of my fried melty hair. Even tho all I get done now are semi annual highlights, I still run out and buy this after every bleach session to return my hair to a strong, silky, "healthy" state.

Now, as a side note, you're really supposed to balance out protein with moisture when caring for damaged hair. Always follow up a strong protein targeted treatment with a moisturizing conditioner and/or treatment. You can tell what your hair needs by how it reacts. If it stretches, snaps, and/or stays extremely stretched and distorted, it seriously needs protein. If it's brittle, dry, and frequently breaks off, it needs more moisture. After any chemical processing, it needs both.

I use this after a light cleanse to get leave-in products off my hair, saturate the hair with the treatment, wrap up my hair and leave it to soak in while I do other things for a couple hours, rinse, and then use a moisturizing conditioner (Joico also makes a moisturizing balm treatment). My hair is gorgeous for a couple weeks after doing that. It works within 5-10 minutes for some of the other reviewers here but I don't notice the same effect if only left on under an hour.

...Joico is reformulating this and I'm a little scared.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/28/2013 2:07:00 PM More reviews by Seattlemama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Really bad product for me. I have highlighted, dry, naturally curly/frizzy hair with oily roots that I wash twice a week. I tried this after reading great reviews. It does not offer any moisture at all - I guess because this is a protein treatment? Regardless, it made my hair feel and look like frizzy straw, and it was impossible to get a comb through. Can't return it so I will be tossing it. Complete waste of $20.