April 19, 2014 | 1361 users online

Fragrances - Coty - L'Origan

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2008 2:18:00 AM More reviews by ellizam

This is one of the great drugstore finds. I would give it a 5 on the lippie scale except for two things; 1) this and the newer White Shoulders and Bellodgia are really really really close. L'Origan is the least expensive (though White Shoulders gives it a run for its money) but when you do the side-by-side, you find that Coty hallmark tiny whiff of hairspray. It goes away. It isn't meaningful. It's probably a musk component and most likely is a problem idiosyncratic and personal. Still, I'm taking a lippie off on the strength of it. 2) Just a wee bit too sweet sometimes.

But the history is wonderful, and your spicy/sweet/carnation is a great class of perfume. A friend described this as a "brown" fragrance, sort of uber brown. I can understand exactly what she meant. This is the brown t-shirt, brown skirt. Understated, matches alot of things, subtle, nicely made, not shout-y. It would make a nice office fragrance, sprayed lightly, and for the money is extraordinary. And I love the star flacon bottle.

I suspect there is some well known aromachemical in here -- eugenol? -- which is inexpensive and gives it the clovey component. I'm not opposed. Clove is a good thing.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2007 9:16:00 AM More reviews by Sherrie11

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I do like many of the classics, but L'Origan is not for me. Someone sent me a sample of the vintage juice, and I just didn't "get it". It was strange, medicinal, clovey. I couldn't imagine wanting to wear a perfume that smelled like this. But it did evoke in my imagination the era in which it was created - Erte'esque visions dancing in my head - and in that sense it is a very interesting fragrance. Then, later, I discovered Mitsouko and saw a definite connection between the two. Mitsouko is also a very evocative scent that I can't quite wear. :-) Anyway, I can appreciate L'Origan, but it will never be "me".

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2007 7:37:00 PM More reviews by freegracer

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love L'Origan. The image of its being a Cinderella fragrance (as mentioned in GlamDiva's great review below) is spot on. I have a dab of the L'Origan parfum, a dab of some older L'Origan and a full bottle of the version that has just recently been discontinued. Frankly, I like them all and am not ashamed to state for the record that I enjoy wearing the "newer" version just fine. I have Guerlain's L'Heure Bleue in the EdP and find it difficult to wear. I haven't given up on it, but I do find it difficult. L'Origan, on the other hand, is easy to wear and has a wonderfully old fashioned appeal, and to me, that's a good thing. My great grandmother used to wear this in the '60s and early '70s. When I was a child, she gave me two of her bottles of L'Origan and L'Aimant cream, and when I smelled L'Origan after a thirty+ year hiatus, it seemed to be the same scent. Memory is fickle, but the "newer" L'Origan is close enough to the '60s and '70s version that my memory didn't flinch. Notes include bergamot, neroli, ionones, ylang-ylang, carnation, jasmine, rose, vanilla, coumarin, sandalwood and musk. This is one of the scents that put the Coty name on the map. I hope that the company will see fit to re-introduce this little beauty.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2005 10:40:00 PM More reviews by Cally79

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've been wearing L'Origan lately off and on and it is such a unique fragrance that I will never get tired of. Nothing else smells like it. I agree that it is a nice cool weather scent. Very mysterious and *different* a nice one to wear so you don't smell like everyone else. Yummy!

Edit to say: I recently tried this over Blackberry Vanilla body lotion sort of by accident but mostly because I was tired and staying in anyway.
Wow! What an interesting scent that derived from that!
A friend used to wear L'Origan over a fresh apricot lotion and it always smelled so wonderful.
Still in a life long love affair with L'Origan!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2005 3:46:00 AM More reviews by karamy6

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Beautifil! Transports me to another era...the Edwardian, when this scent was introduced. If you don't like the "classics" of perfumery you may not like this. Since I was about 11, I've been in love with the smell of the Coty Airspun face-powder (loose, in the white, gold and brown cardboard container) and was delighted when a year ago I discovered L'Origan, as it is almost the exact scent, although even better as an eau de cologne! Others have described the notes already, I'll just add that although this is reputed among many perfume afficionados (and/or snobs) to have been re-formulated to the point of being a shadow of its former self, it's still a masterpiece in my opinion. And I in fact have a vintage bottle (70's, from the looks of it, so maybe not old enough to be the original scent) that smells just the same as the stuff you can get now..

rated 4 of 5 on 7/14/2005 10:05:00 PM More reviews by archel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is really nice but it is a little too sweet for me. I like it a lot but prefer L'Aimant even more...both are great scents for the price.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2005 8:20:00 PM More reviews by Chamuda

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I found this too sweet and powdery. I could see that some might like it - it does have a bit of nice spice - but it is way too sweet for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2005 4:23:00 PM More reviews by elfriede

A drugstore gem for fans of sweet and spicy florals. I smell mostly orange blossom and a hint of spice (clove, carnation), lovely, feminine, and complex, with a gentle way of softening and deepening on the skin--developing a deep, honey-like sweetness. Others have commented on how nice this is in autumn--I also think this is lovely in early spring, when it's too warm for heavy orientals yet I'm in the mood for that kind of scent. Fans of Bal a Versailles may like this very much. Staying power is good for a cologne.
I sometimes get an oily undertone when I first spray this on--I get the same thing in Coty Wild Musk Oil and Emeraude cologne, only more so in those scents. Perhaps it's a cheap fixative or musk note that Coty uses.
I haven't found L'Origan in local drugstores, but it's easy to find online for under $7.00.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/17/2004 8:56:00 PM More reviews by makeupqueen26

Terrible, terrible aroma. Very overpowering and sickly old smell. Goodwill here we come!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/7/2004 5:52:00 PM More reviews by marzipanfrye

As much as the vapors out of the bottle scared me, this scent is enticing on the skin. Clove and citrus, but mostly soap. In fact, it reminds me a bit of my favorite carnation-scented soap from Roger et Gallet.