The Body Shop Foundation brush

3.4

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was actually heading towards the Sephora in my mall to get a new foundation brush, which, if you buy it from the Sephora Pro Collection, is $27. But on my way I passed TBS, and I thought taking a look at their foundation brush won't hurt, right? The girl in the store wasn't very friendly. She just kinda explained to me how the brush hair NEVER falls out (tried and true!!!), how the hair's very dense, and that it's made of 100% synthetic fiber(which is supposedly better than natural, since it soaks up less of your liquid makeup than a natural-hair brush). I had to ask her questions to know more about it, which is not usually the way at TBS. However, I decided to give it a try, since it meant saving $4.
The brush handle is very sturdy and easy to control while applying liquid foundation. I've heard some people say it's hard to clean but I think it's relatively easy. I haven't seen a single hair fall out yet, and the hair is so densely packed it kinda drives me crazy.
The only con is that it doesn't have one of those plastic cylinder shaped things that comes with Sephora brushes. I used to wash my brushes and put them into the brush tip "protector" and stand them like that.(if you use them you know what I'm talking about) But this one just came with an outer packaging...
Over all a great brush that everyone should try! And I think this is really quite cheap comparing to MAC brushes...

on 7/28/2011 12:55:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

my first foundation brush before i changed to sigma.
this is a decent foundation brush, so soft and dense.
it applies liquid foundation evenly on my face without marks
but the only con is that i gets cakey so fast.
you have to wash it almost every 3 or 4 days.
but it's definitely worth trying :)

on 6/25/2011 6:37:00 PM

I have tried quite a few foundation brushes but I this is the worst brush I have ever used! I have tried it with many different foundations but it always streaks and never blends the foundation properly. For a similar price the ruby and millie foundation brush is brilliant. I've given up trying with this brush and passed it on to my sister. Don't waste your money!!

on 6/25/2011 3:43:00 AM

i only have one other foundation brush, and the bristles are far too hard on that one. i really like this one. i can use it with my mac foundation straight out of the bottle onto the brush without any streaks. my other brush leaves tons of streaks, and it's some professional stage makeup brush (can't remember the brand). i will say that if you need a bit more foundation in some areas to cover blemishes, there may be streaks at first, but a quick once-over-patting with the brush will remove them all.

on 6/23/2011 3:36:00 PM

I wanted to add a comment about cleaning this brush. I also experienced the "oiliness" of the brush. This brush has been sitting around 98% of the time since I bought it because it just seemed unhygienic because it never seemed completely clean.

Recently, I decided I should attempt to clean it and it worked. I remembered I had a really harsh shampoo from Suave. It's the Mountain Strawberry type. I literally poured a good 1/4 cup dollop straight on to my bathroom sink counter and just dunked the brush in to the shampoo and pushed the brush into it. To my surprise, almost all of the foundation came out. I did this again with less shampoo to make sure everything was out.

Try this if this brush is doing nothing on your makeup table.

Thanks!

on 5/21/2011 9:27:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I LOVE THIS BRUSH! I bought this not long after buying the Body Shop oil free foundation because I though using a brush would give me a nicer finish. I was not wrong! When I very first used I was worried because I could see the streaks from the brush, however I brushed over them and they disappeared. I tried putting the foundation on the back of my hand, but I found most of it was staying on my hand and I was wasting it, so I just squeezed it straight onto the brush and it works fine. When I finish using it, I have an even coverage without any streaks. The actual quality of the brush is fantastic, the bristles are so strong but still so soft on the skin! I, like nearly everyone else on here, have not seen a single hair fall. It is a little expensive for a brush, but it's so worth it, it will last me such a long time because it's such good quality! I clean it after use because the foundation stays in there, just use a tiny bit of tea tree shampoo because it is antibacterial and will clean it properly, rinse in cool water, stand up to dry (the base of the brush in completely flat!) and the next day it looks as good as new again. Love this brush, if for some reason I need to repurchase which I highly doubt I most definitely will! No complaints!

on 4/20/2011 8:31:00 AM

I have a clinique foundation brush and the body shop one.
I love them both. I did my foundation always with my fingers but since three week I use brushes. Wow what a difference, my face looks more airbrushed! I think that the bodyshop brush does its job very well without streaks. I use it with little movements. At first its a bit hard but now I can use it very well. I will buy again and its not so expensive.

on 1/18/2011 4:22:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

my first foundation brush! i love it.. when i first try it - without foundation - it felt verrrryyyyy softttt! works great with my liquid foundation (revlon colorstay softflex) definitely buy it again if needed :p

on 11/2/2010 9:06:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

i mostly use this to apply a stick foundation and it performs well. i've no complaint.

on 10/24/2010 6:15:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I have used this brush for several years (7-10yrs) and frankly it is really great. I like the way synthetic bristles feel softer than natural brushes and don't poke at your skin. This one blends my foundation very well and I have absolutely no streakiness like others mentioned. I am surprised at its moderate rating, I think it deserves better. I wash mine regularly and find it easy to wash and it comes out clean, no problem. The only thing that did go wrong with it is that the metal piece holding the bristles fell of the handle and I had to tape it back on and even though that was disappointing it has still been an awesome very long lasting brush. It's just the right size, it goes around my eyes easily, non streaky, picks up the product well, feels gentle, blends great. Not much else to say, it is a good brush. I would buy it again in a second. And hopefully the handle wouldn't fall off the second one! But if it did insulation tape is amazingly good and has lasted for years without coming of the handle..lol.

Popular Makeup Brushes