October 24, 2014 | 1730 users online

Top/Base Coats - Orly - Ridge Filler

rated 2 of 5 on 3/17/2009 9:11:00 AM More reviews by beantown620

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is one of the weirdest ridge-fillers I have ever purchased.
I bought it at Sally's thinking it could mask some of those ugly ridges I had as a result of acrylics. Wrong!
The basecoat itself applies streaky and uneven--like the other reviewer pointed out, it needs its own ridgefiller. I tried thinning it out with nail polish thinner hoping it would help but it just made the basecoat apply worse. This ridge-filler is also a milky white color. Why? I have no idea. I thought most ridge-fillers on the market are supposed to have a more natural color to them. I only used this once and don't intend on using it again. A waste of money if you ask me.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/26/2009 12:55:00 PM More reviews by DeltaCephei

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really dislike this product. It dries superslowly, and makes your nailpolish apply even worse.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/26/2008 3:02:00 PM More reviews by jenward74

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this stuff! I first learned about it when I had acrylic nails and my nail tech used it. I started using it for pedicures back then, and it smooths things out so well, and makes a perfect base for your polish. When I stopped having the acrylics done, I started using this on my fingernails as well. Love it. My manis and pedis last sooo much longer with this stuff. It is kind of odd that it's white, but it hasn't ever been an issue for me. Highly recommend.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2007 9:02:00 PM More reviews by karrieleigh

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I love Orly's cap, but that's about the only redeeming quality this product boasts. I bought this because I ran out of my OPI RF, and I was at Sally's. Big mistake. First of all this ridge filler is so streaky that it needs it's own ride filler. Second, it doesn't really fill my ridges unless I want to apply two coats in which case it gets even streakier causing artificial "ridges" from the streaked up dried RF. Third, its opaque white, so if you're buying it because you want a nice streak-free application on a sheer polish, forget it. If the brush were a little wider, application might be easier for this formula, but that would be the only thing to save this particular formula. I will not be repurchasing. I much prefer OPIs ridge filler to Orlys.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/31/2006 9:50:00 AM More reviews by impress390me

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Orly's line is so brillant esp for price! And unlike some other high end brands these products do what they say. This does fill in the ridges on my nail but is unless under sheers-esp frenches which ironically is where i find my ridges show through most.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2006 3:08:00 PM More reviews by Elankat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

In terms of staying power, Orly Ridge Filler is great. It provides a nice smooth nail surface too. However, it is white. Very white. I found that this made it extremely difficult to end up with a streak free manicure with lighter sheers. With darks, if your application isn't perfect, the white shows at the edges. Big thumbs down on the color. If the product were clear, it would get a 5 rating from me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2004 4:29:00 PM More reviews by fallface

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love the rubber caps these bottles have! That aside, this is my favorite ridge filler. Not only does the opaque white formula fills in the deepest crevices, it reallys helps to adhere polish and keep nails from discoloring due dark polishes. However, because it is white, it doesn't work well for sheer polishes. I like Sally Hansen Nailgrowth Miracle for a smooth ridgefiler for sheers and light colors.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2002 6:06:00 PM More reviews by KarenCG

This product is used as a basecoat to "fill in" ridges on nails. I sometimes get them due to a rare skin disorder I have (long story). I had tried cheaper brands in the past, but this is the only "salon brand" of this type product I've used so far. It works well (as does buffing nails before polishing). I have to be careful with applying it though -- it's thicker than regular polishes or base coats -- if too much is used, it tends to "pool" at the cuticle area of nails, leaving a thick white "blob". LOL! It leaves my nails with a smoother surface for polishing. Over all, a good product that does its job.