Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche

3.8

I met a guy last night who smelled divine. Turned out he was wearing the women's Rive Gauche without even knowing it was a women's scent.

Just wanted to suggest that the guys out there looking for something different might consider this.

on 4/4/2011 11:21:00 PM

Smelled promising at first--I began to see what Luca Turin meant by "the goddess Diana's bath soap." It does evoke a bar of white, rose-scented soap. Accented by a citrusy bite on top, greens, soft white flowers, synth sandalwood and musk, to my nose. And LOTS of aldehydes--soapy, powdery, very clean. Aldehydes diffuse the other notes like frosted glass. But whereas in Chamade, the other "powdery-white" aldehydic Turin compares this to, the drydown eventually reveals the tender charm of real flowers, woods, orris, vanilla--lovely, true naturals, melting into the skin--this smells synthetic throughout. It smells cheap, like a body spray, and gives me a stuffy nose! Ecch. The composition is very fine, but the execution smells cheap--at least in the current formulation.

on 2/14/2011 6:21:00 PM

If Strange Invisible Perfumes didn't already have a scent called Aquarian Roses, I think this would fit YSL's iconic little number perfectly. Of course, Rive Gauche is a perfect name for this beauty, but when I think of it I think of watery roses. Now this is a case where I really believe reformulation was actually a GOOD thing -blasphemy in these parts, I realize. I happen to have lived surrounded by the *real* thing. This was my mom's signature frag in 1970's Paris. I remember the short black and white plaid coat which went along with the look. The fact that TF orchestrated a reformulation where the aldhehydes were lightened and more of the middle notes show up is actually for the better. The edginess/metallic aspect of this scent is still there. There is a faint, watery (NOT ozonic, but more of a transparent feel to this composition reminiscent of looking through an old windowpane where things are blurry and slightly distorted) overlay above a gorgeous bouquet of roses- but this is no wimpy shrinking violet scent.The vetyver and oakmoss of the base are still there. They provide a beautiful backbone to this fragrance which really is as sophisticated, hip, loose, and carefree as the corner of Paris for which it is named. Lovers of dry, sexy rose based scent should run to try this. EDT strength is all you can find is these days, but the lasting power is beautiful.

on 1/30/2011 4:22:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Damn reformulations! I used to love the original, this one just vaguely reminds me of it. Such a shame. I don't know if this is supposed to be a more up to date version or they have just substituted some of the original ingredients for financial reasons, but I just think that some classic perfumes should be left alone.

on 10/30/2009 3:55:00 AM

when I first tested this I was disappointed. It smelled very musty and heavy. I usually give the classic fragrances a chance so I bought a small bottle. Well, I guess the tester bottle was old because after trying some at home I really like Rive Gauche, Its classy, clean and subtle with great lasting power. I have never smelled the original but I do remember smelling this fragrance on many a classy older women through out my life, so it must be very close to the original, I just never knew what it was. It was Rive Gauche

on 10/29/2009 11:13:00 AM

Oh, how I long for vintage Rive Gauche!!! Wore it in the early 80's and loved it. Revisited it recently by purchasing a bottle from YSL. Yes, it's similar, but not the same. Yet, it's still amazing. I would even go so far as to say that *IF* I were to have a signature fragrance, this would be it.

on 10/28/2009 3:58:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a nice rose fragrance and I'm sure I detect violets as well. This is very, very flowery and quite sweet. It has great lasting power and projects fairly well also for an EdT. However, I found, after a time that it was simply too one dimensional and unrelentingly sweet. Had I never smelled Chanel No. 19 with its austere and musky rose bouquet, I probably would have sprung for a bottle. But having No. 19, this doesn't even come close and how Turin and Sanchez can rate Rive Gauche more highly than 19 is still twisting my brain. If you've tried neither, I strongly suggest sampling each (I prefer 19 in EdT form, less vegetal, tons of lasting power and great sillage). Rive Gauche is cheerful and pleasing and I'm sure it deserves a loyal following, but I'll continue to march behind my beloved 19. To each their own.

on 6/11/2009 8:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

My comments are based on the post 2003 edt formulation. After trying Rive Gauche, I'm kind of disappointed after reading all of the great reviews. Rive Gauche is a straight up oriental fragrance with an aldehydic opening. I don't smell any rose at all. Dries down way too quickly to a dirty civet note. Definitely would not be opposed to smelling this on someone else but there are better orientals out there imho. Love the tin cyclindar container.

on 3/8/2009 7:39:00 AM

Very powdery and soft. Elegant and not something everyone wears. For some reason men love this so much.

on 3/7/2009 9:58:00 AM

I would give this just one lippie if it weren't for the lovely packaging. my father worked for YSL and Chanel fragrances when I was a teen, so I grew up bathing in their fragrances. To me, Rive Gauche always smelled SO harsh and bitter...it still smells that way to me; I just don't get the appeal (except for the pretty packaging!)?!

Popular Fragrances