August 30, 2014 | 1880 users online

Cleansers - Albolene cleanser

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2013 12:22:00 PM More reviews by flybaby

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

For some weird reason, MUA shows my age as a reviewer as 18 and under. Don't know why, I think most of my other reviews come up as my actual age group (As of 2014 I am 58) I don't know if this matters to you, but thought I should note it...

It took me a while to grow to love this. In fact, I didn't really realize how much I did love it, until I began to run out.

I purchased the large tub (12oz/340g) size (via Amazon, for convenience sake) last winter, and when I received it, and saw how much there was in the container, I thought to myself I'd better like it, because it was going to last me for forever!

There was a learning curve on my way to true love. I had been accustomed to emulsifying oil cleansers that rinsed clean with water. My summer favorite had been Clean Energy Cleansing OIl by Origins, winter/year round favorite had been Fancl Mild Cleansing Oil. I also tried one by LancĂ´me (did not love) and Shiseido (which was nice, but didn't like it well enough to justify its cost over the others)

For many years I'd had oily skin, and even though at this point, any problem with oiliness is history (trust me, menopause takes care of that!) it still took me a while to realize it was more than okay to use a cleanser that was not water soluble. My only previous experience had been many years ago with Ponds cold cream. I'd hated the fragrance, and pretty much everything about it.

Albolene is fragrance free. Although it did not cause a radical transformation with my skin, I think my skin is better for using it. Albolene is gentle, and removes all traces of foundation, etc. I don't wear waterproof mascara, so I can't speak to how well it works for taking it off completely. I do wear waterproof gel eyeliner, and sometimes I'll still have smudges under my eyes if I'm not thorough enough, and will need to use a q-tip to clean up. (Probably because I use while in the shower with no mirror to see if I've got it all).

My evening routine is to floss teeth at bathroom basin , then take out my contacts, scoop out some Albolene, apply all over my face and eyelids, then get in the shower and let the Albolene stay on my face while I brush my teeth and bathe. Then, I take a warm wrung out washcloth, wipe my face, and turn my face under the shower spray to get the rest of my mascara off. I use Trish McEvoy curling mascara (another true love!) which is a tubing type of mascara that slides off the lashes with warm water, and is not oil soluble.

The Albolene container is utilitarian and not attractive to have sitting out. After I came to know that this was a keeper, I started re-potting it into a more elegant jar.

There are plenty of other helpful reviews on MUA to read that give more specific product information, and I don't feel the need to repeat it. I just want to add a review, because it is such a wonderful product, and I somehow failed to notice its existence until a year ago.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2013 10:05:00 PM More reviews by SandySki

This cleanser has been a godsend for my very dry skin. I take spiro for cystic acne which keeps my skin clear but very dry ( except t-zone had remained oily and blackhead prone yet dehydrated and albolene has helped that as well). Our cold, dry, North Dakota winter really takes a toll on my skin and makes it look older and more wrinkly than it is. This is wonderfully comforting and effective at removing makeup. I remove it with a warm washcloth and then use ponds moisturizer. Packaging is ugly. My skin looks healthier and stronger (almost like it is thicker somehow, weird) than it has in years. It just kills me to think how much money I could have saved on skincare and how much more NARS I could have bought with that.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2013 11:44:00 AM More reviews by superfille

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This has become HG/essential for me. It is such a multipurpose product. The ingredients are incredibly gentle for me. I use this to cleanse every morning, followed by a Stridex pad to remove any excess residue, or instead, occasionally I'll use St. Ives Apricot scrub instead of the Stridex.

I also put this all over my lips as a quick moisturizing treatment, or all over as a body moisturizer. It is so gentle - just mineral oil, beeswax, parafin and a few other things. So multipurpose - it's great for dry cuticles. I love it and hope they never change the formula.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2013 1:58:00 PM More reviews by OSusanna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Thick and heavy, but will not strip dry skin and is effective in removing all types of makeup. I have dry skin and I could probably get away without doing a second cleanse after taking this off with a washcloth but I choose not to. Anyway, this is better than Pond's to me because there isn't a fragrance and I like the consistency better. You do need to massage this in and let it work a bit, give it time. At least one minute and then perhaps even let it sit in for another or two because it can take a bit to break down makeup. I used to use Clinique take the day off balm and that is a very good product but I found it drying and much more expensive than this. Albolene is one half the cost of Clinique's product. If you have oily or breakout prone skin, you might do as I do and use a foamy cleanser after this to get the film off of your face.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2013 5:42:00 AM More reviews by Ihaveahart

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love it!!!!!! Removes all makeup and dirt even waterproof liquid eyeliner in....5 minutes or less i frickin smooth on and in less than 1 minute it's all of no stinging of frickin mess amazing!!!!!!!!!!! Love it but I'm not in love with the packehing awh 5 lippers

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2013 12:11:00 PM More reviews by gracie114

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this stuff! I have dry skin, so the moisturizing qualities of this product are a huge bonus. I rub it on my skin and wipe it off with a damp washcloth. My skin is clean and moisturized when I'm done.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2013 6:10:00 PM More reviews by beachesatnormandy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I was really reluctant to purchase this because I have oily, acne prone, and super fickle skin. Read on one of the boards that it would be a good way to remove stubborn makeup, so I purchased it at my local drug store. I am never using anything else. This is literally the best thing i've ever used for removing makeup. I mainly use it for eye makeup with a tissue. It takes a few swipes but every little bit of makeup I have had on is removed. It also doesn't cause me to break out and isn't too harsh for my eyes or skin. If I wear heavy makeup I sometimes remove all my face makeup with it as well. I put it on my face, let it sit, wipe it off and then follow with a cleanser to remove any residue. Works like a charm.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2013 11:54:00 PM More reviews by momof3kidlets

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Amazing how well this gets ALL makeup off. This is as greasy as it gets, folks, but it works and I've found a great way to make the most of it (in my opinion)...I use this only at night and make it into a spa experience: I apply a generous coat, massaging my face and neck. Then, carefully tissue off as much as I can with a couple tissues. Then, I have this pretty thick residue still on my face, so I run a washcloth under the hottest water I can stand, wring it out well, place it on my face and wait at least 10 seconds, just letting my pores open a bit. Then, I use the washcloth to massage the rest of it all off. Feels WONDERFUL, works AMAZING. Love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2013 3:43:00 PM More reviews by ratgirldjh

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

i really like this stuff.
at first i was using it wrong (for me anyway). i was rubbing it on and then removing it with a wet washcloth and then putting more on.

my pores started getting clogged and my skin didn't like it and it was ruining my washcloths.

i started using it per the directions on the jar (lol) and wow!

so now i use a little bit for my entire face. i start with a dry face and rub it on and then tissue it off. then i splash water on my face and kind of pat the left over in and add a tiny bit more around my eyes and any dry areas and voila!

perfect moisturized skin no other moisturizer needed!

who knew? i guess someone did!!!

i would suggest that anyone using it with a wet washcloth and getting clogged pores try tissuing it off instead. it totally changed everything for me!!! and my skin loves the stimulation and hardly needs exfoliating these days!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/21/2013 4:01:00 AM More reviews by bulbagrrrl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have extremely oily, very acne prone, large pores, easily-flaky-when-over-cleansed, skin! I'm very impressed by this product. I tried using it as instructed - rub in and wipe off with tissue. A lot of oil and makeup came off this way but the thin film left on my face was no good for my oily skin and in 3 days my face was totally clogged.

How I use this now is PM only. Take a dollop size on my finger and rub it all over my face for about 5 minutes. I can feel the blackheads on my nose rise and clear out, the dead skin, makeup, pimple scabs, I can feel it all lifting and blending into the Albolene. It's really gross yet refreshing. I've never used anything that cleans and clears like this stuff. Then I hop in the shower and gently remove with a warm baby washcloth. Follow with Cetaphil for oily skin, Proactiv toner (glycolic acid), and sunscreen in the AM. No PM moisturizer needed sometimes. Albolene is an amazing clean!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No