Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream

4.2

Water, Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearic Acid, Sodium Cetearyl Sulfate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Dilauryl Thiodipropionate, Sodium Sulfate, Fragrance

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

This is a decent hand cream, but it's not good for extreme dryness. I prefer more creamy textures, and this has a silicone like feel to it. It made my hands very soft but it didn't completely relieve the dryness. Overall a good cream.

on 5/22/2014 1:06:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

The last time I got a tattoo, the shop was out of the after care cream they give out, but said to just find a thick unscented lotion, and it will do the trick. This cream healed my tattoo perfectly, but its also great in the winter for my hands. It used to be that I could never put enough lotion on my hands, they would always be dry and uncomfortable. This stuff is excellent for winter hands/skin. Its not greasy, odorless, and one application takes care of everything.

on 5/20/2014 10:23:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Best hand cream ever! I can't recall when I've bought any other in the past 15 years. The only time I have used others recently has been when I received them as a gift (ie good quality).
In comparison to the Norwegian, the other creams are thin and watery, and do not provide any lasting hydration, moisture or softness. I use the Norwegian only at night, last thing before going to bed, and wake up with soft, moisturised hands that last all day, without having to constantly re-apply (pet hate!).

Oh, and by massaging the cream really well into the nails & the cuticles, over time it eliminates dry, raggedy & spilt cuticles, & saves you having to use a separate cuticle oil, etc.

There is a fragrance free version, for those who prefer it. Both work equally well, IMHO.

on 4/9/2014 10:54:00 PM

Eh. That's really the only thing I can think of when I think of this hand cream. I loved my Victoria's Secret hand cream but wanted something smaller and heavier for traveling since I hate super dry skin especially on my hands. I usually apply this before bed since it now sits on my bedside table but when I apply it, it takes a good 5 minutes for it to really sink in. And then I don't feel like I've even done anything. I like this around my cuticles but even then it's a pain to get it to sink in. I won't repurchase, off to find a new, inexpensive hand cream.

on 2/22/2014 11:31:00 PM

I use this on my face as a preventative measure because my skin gets dry and chapped in winter. My face has become so soft since I started using it. I never knew that my skin needed moisture so much. I use it twice daily. I am so sad that I did not know how much my skin needed this before recently. I had previously had a lot of clogged pores/blemishes/pimples. Over the years, they resulted in scars and large pores that maybe only I notice. But since I started using this, the clogging and pimples almost completely stopped happening or began to heal quickly, sometimes literally overnight. I had misplaced it for about 2 days in the 2 months that I have been using this and I started noticing the skin problems coming back. I have felt so much more confident about my skin with this product.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I bought this on a whim because I noticed my hands were getting very dry from the start of winter and because it was sale. Regular price was 9.99 Canadian and I got it for something like 5.99. Thinking back, that is a great price for such a good product. I went back to the Rexall where I bought it to pick up more at the sale price but they were all gone. I would pay full price but it's been a while and this product has not been re-stocked.

In terms of the product, it comes in a small tube so it's easy to pop into a purse. The actual product looks a bit like vaseline but it's not oily or greasy. I use a dab for each hand, only applying to the back of my hands and knuckles where my skin is most dry. When you start rubbing it into your skin, the cream turns white. It takes a little bit of work but keep rubbing it and it eventually absorbs into the skin. There's no fragrance and leaves no sheen either. If you use a little and don't notice much of a difference, use a bit more. When I use it I notice a difference in the look and feel of my skin right away! Pretty amazing!

I'm not keen on the price so I gave it 3/5. I'm not very particular about the packaging so I gave that 5/5 but I suppose there could be a better packaging method to use so that you can use all the cream. I plan on cutting my tube open. Overall, I gave it a 4/5, 1 lippie deduction for the cost. This product really does work for dry hands so I would definitely give it a try, particularly in the winter months.

P.S. I've even tried using it on my lips. I think it's ok but honestly, I unconsciously lick my lips way too much that when I get cracked lips it takes a little while to heal. So, I can't say that this product works any better on my lips than a lip product specifically for dry lips.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is the best hand cream I've ever used. It was recommended to me by a dermatologist as I get extremely severe dermatitis/eczema (cracked and bleeding palms and fingers). This soothes my hands instantly and when I use it regularly my hands are in good shape. So cheap too!

on 1/23/2014 11:04:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love Neutrogena Norwegian Formula line products, but for some reason did not like the hand cream. It's very thick, a bit like a balm. Even though it does melt quickly onto my hands, but my hands feel waxy afterwards. Will not purchase again.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

No matter what season it is, my hands are always dry and lacking moisture. I've tried a fair amount of drugstore and high-end hand creams (A'kin, Crabtree and Evelyn, L'occitane, Garnier and Nivea) that have only ever provided temporary moisture and relief for my dry hands. If I didn't apply any of the aforementioned for two days, my cuticles and hands would be back to its constant state of dryness. Conversely, the only hand cream that has ever provided long-term moisturise for my hands is this Neutrogena one.

Unlike other hand creams that I've tried, the effect of the Neutrogena cream lasts for days in the coldest season. I felt too lazy to apply for around 5 days during winter once - my hands and cuticles were still soft and well-moisturised! To me, a hand cream performs well if it truly maintains moisture and prevents cracking in your hands in winter. I am pleased to say the moisture in my hands is still retained even through hand washing. The concentrated formula means that the cream will last a relatively long period of time, even with daily use. I disagree with other reviewers who say the cream is greasy and takes too long to absorb - only a miniscule amount is meant to be used. Less is more and better in this case; the cream is supposed to last over 200 applications. Absorption time is quick and there is no greasy residue is left behind unless excess hand cream has been applied.
This is officially my favourite one and dare I say, holy grail hand cream. An absolutely wonderful gem from Neutrogena.

on 1/17/2014 5:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is a decent barrier cream but I do not find it nourishing or really moisturizing for my parched hands. I don't like the feel on my hands when I apply this, while I find that it does sink in reasonably quick my hands do not feel pampered or even well cared for. In my experience, if a hand cream spells out Glycerin as the second ingredient on the list - which is the case here - it is the type of translucent ointment which looks similar to vaseline and immediately turns slippery and washes off when it comes in contact with water. To be quite clear, most hand creams contain Glycerin, and per se there is nothing wrong with that ingredient, but I much prefer if a hand cream formula has a lower percentage of Glycerin, in favor of more oils or vegetable butters. These "richer" hand creams are opaque and white in color and do not turn into a slippery mess when hands get wet. At less than half the price, Neutrogena would be a much cheaper alternative to my long time favorite, L'Occitane's Shea Butter Hand Cream. But I am sorry to say it is in no way a substitute for me.

Popular Lotions / Creams