April 23, 2014 | 1838 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Velvet - Mulch

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2013 5:04:00 PM More reviews by crmelody

Such a pretty true-brown, lightly shimmer shade! It was everything I wish Tempting was. It will go great with my Patina and All That Glitters. Decent crease shade. Highly pigmented. No fallout. Enhances brown eyes. My favorite look is to wear it over the entire lid during the day. Really intensifies a light brown eye. The look could kill.

EDIT: Will not repurchase because I'm going to delve into Alima, Silk Naturals, and Zosimos shadows as soon as this runs out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/24/2013 1:59:00 PM More reviews by lnielsen22

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I just found a really beautiful combination today using Mulch that I wanted to share. Apply Patina with a 239 brush on the lid only, up to the crease (and really apply it. I pack it into the brush with about ten swipes across the pan). Use the 239 to then apply some Patina under the lower lash line. Then apply Mulch with the same 239 in just the outer corner of the upper lid and outer crease, not beyond. Blend Mulch into Patina with a 217 and then use a clean (very important, must be clean) 224 on the outer edges only of Mulch. This brush when clean is great to soften and clean up the edges of a darker color. Line with Smut on the upper lid only. Mascara, top and bottom lashes. Done. It's a gorgeous look but it's not too much.

As for Mulch itself, this is one the most versatile colors I own. It's great applied in the outer V with All That Glitters on the lid, or on its own on the lid, crease and along the lower lashes with 2 coats of mascara. I find the latter to be a good natural, quick weekend look but you have to be careful to not pack this one on because it gets dark fast. It has a little bit of sparkle but it's not too much. It's blend-able and easy to work with. It's sort of a bronze color that brings out any eye color. My eyes are green and when I wear Mulch it makes them look jade colored.

Tanya Burr turned me on to this color and I find that any color she recommends is not going to disappoint, her being the make-up guru that she is.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2013 1:36:00 PM More reviews by Spurklie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Mulch sat unloved in my palette for quite a while. I always went for the cooler colours and would reach much more for Satin Taupe than I ever would for Mulch. I only ever used it with Patina as the gold sheen that both these shades have gave a lovely effect.

But I have now realised that a bit of warmth in the crease even on my super pale toned skin and blue eyes isn't always a bad thing. I started using Mulch through the crease and in the outer v with shades like Grain and Brule and it's fantastic. Doesn't sit flat like Brun would, has a nice richness and depth, looks good applied heavier for a smokier look or just blended lightly for some definition through the crease.

It's perhaps the warmest neutral shade I can get away with, Tempting and Woodwinked made me look ill. Mulch pulls off the trick of being a warm brown/gold WITHOUT being orangey. Nice.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2013 1:57:00 AM More reviews by katielester

This MAC eyeshadow in "mulch" is the perfect addition to anyones makeup bag. It goes on easily and blends perfectly with any shade but looks especially gorgeous paired with MACs "all that glitters" shadow. Mulch has a slightly rose goldy undertone but still has that warm, deep bronzed look. It literally lasts all day with zero smudging, I would absolutely purchase this product again!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2013 11:13:00 AM More reviews by CatrionaShadowleaf

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Mulch is like Handwritten's slightly lighter, more outgoing sister. My pan was very soft - I expected, due to past experience with new MAC shadows, to have to break through a bit of an upper layer with it, but it broke down immediately so that I got way too much at once on my first swipe at it - and there would have been fallout issues had I not been paying attention to it, but it patted on nicely and blends easily. It's a lovely deep brown that leans towards coppery on my eyelids. I always put a new shadow on my lids first to see how it looks and I think this one would actually make a pretty good brown smokey eye if you're as fair as I am. It also shows up well behind glasses (one of my constant issues with otherwise lovely eyeshadows) and it is pretty and soft as a lower lash liner.

Mulch has a fair bit of gold shimmer to it but is not glittery, and I did not notice it ending up on my cheeks at any point. If only all of MAC's shadows were this easy to work with!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2013 6:14:00 PM More reviews by playsindirt

Great alternative to browns for lining and crease. Slight sheen. A rosy, almost bronze-y neutral. I use it as a liner and crease color in the Spring when I want something other than brown or taupe.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2013 4:05:00 PM More reviews by Sarah1325

I recently got mulch and it is now my favorite crease colour. I use rubenesque PP and naked lunch and put mulch in the crease.
Its a dark neutral toned brown with gold shimmer.
It has a velvet finish and blends easily.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2013 12:59:00 PM More reviews by kathrynannferrel

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

MAC Mulch is one of my favorite eyeshadows I own! SO pretty. It's a deep coppery brown with a velvet shimmer, that I believe has a very slight shimmer to it - not overbearing, but gives an absolute POP!
Mulch is definitely one of those little suckers that can be unpredictable. It will look beautiful on some features, and too orange and muddy on others. All you can do is try it out!
I have auburn hair and blue eyes, with neutral fair skin. Though I love coppers, 99% of the time they turn out too red on me. Well, Mulch is that little 1% for me. I love wearing this in the crease or lower lash line. It is perfect for blue eyes. It's pigmentation is unbelievable, and blends flawlessly.
And another point, I LOVE using this with MAC Patina on the lid. These two together are like that perfect couple that you secretly envy. They're just absolutely gorgeous. They can be very natural and light, or turned into a sultry smokey eye. Definitely my go-to look everyday (or night)!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2012 12:50:00 AM More reviews by Menolikepolos

NW10-15 (neutral-cool toned, very fair), blue eyes, Color season is True Summer, Baumann Skin Type is OSPW.

For some reason, this color looks very unflattering on me. See my photos for example. I love browns and bronzes for eye shadows, but this one was a let down : (

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2012 6:56:00 PM More reviews by RoseJade

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I find that this is one of the easiest colors you can get away with wearing alone. This is like a perfect everyday color. Its really easy to blend and stays a long time. I still find it creases but that may be just my lids.
Also I want to say that I'm not at all a massive fan of MAC nor do I have money to burn on there overpriced products but I will give it to them on this one since this is one of my favorite shadows I have from them and this is actually the first color I got from them years ago and I don't believe I've hit pan. So.. If you are looking for a beautiful brown color I recommend this to everyone (all eye colors look amazing in this!!)