September 3, 2014 | 1381 users online

Treatments (Face) - Avene - Tolerance Extreme Anti-irritating Soothing Cream

rated 3 of 5 on 3/6/2011 12:21:00 PM More reviews by cali

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm really bummed this product did not work for me. I was so hoping ti would because I am sensitive to preservatives and emulsifiers. I'm not overly sensitive to mineral oil though, but this product totally gave me clogged pores in areas I practically never breakout in. It did help minimize redness in my check area, but the clogged pores was a deal breaker for me. I'm guessing it might be the glycerin or squalene, not sure though. I even tried just using it under my eye for extra moisture and I got a red bump there! I even liked the packaging too, but sad to say I will not e repurchasing this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2011 5:50:00 AM More reviews by rosey242

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Ladies:) This product seems to be good. Is there anyone who use this product for the seborrheic dermatitis scars? I am thinking of buying it. Please, help me:)

rated 2 of 5 on 12/4/2010 8:34:00 PM More reviews by landyshi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have very sensitive, reactive skin, condition which limits my choice of skincare products I can use. I had high hopes for this creme, but of all Avene's produts it was the one to irritate my skin, left it try, red , and flaky. Go figure. I am back to Trixera.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/11/2010 1:59:00 PM More reviews by xxunavailablexx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

First, I really don't like the package. If I try to apply it, I allways take more than I need because i push it too much and this is quite a waste for me. The consistency is quite rich, better for dry skin. I like the 9 ingredients (or how much) composition, which can prevent many allergies. I am not allergic to it, BUT it clogs my pores (I was wondering about for a long time what product is doing that)... I won't repurchase, I have been expecting something better.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/21/2010 7:12:00 AM More reviews by cleodog

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I loved the product and hated the "innovative packaging". First 50 ml tube I bought and delivery system worked well the first 8 or 9 times then seemed to get clogged. You can't unscrew the top off of the tube so kept trying -squeezing harder until finally at least a 2 inch long portion of product ended up on bathroom ceiling. Tried a few more times with similiar results -bathroom sink, ceiling or floor. I thought that I had a "lemon" tube and liked the product (if I could catch it) well enough to buy another. Same result. Called customer service and the rep sounding bored advised me that they were aware of the problem but that it was a patent issue and suggested that I try to catch the cream in a bowl. She did not offer any other advise or replacement tube. I may seem hyper picky here but don't particularly relish the thought of playing try to catch your facial cream in a bowl at 5:30 a.m. My skin is so sensitive and this product yielded such good results that I am probably going to reluctantly buy yet a third tube and hope for the best.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/16/2010 11:27:00 AM More reviews by elmab

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have EXTREEEEEMLY sensitive skin and when nothing helps , this one does. It is really soothing on my face. I use it as a moisturizer, but unfortunately in summer months it's bit too heavy and had to look for something lighter.

I have atopic allergic dermatitis at one spot (bellow my eye) and tolerance extreme has caused no reaction on my face.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2010 11:31:00 PM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

NB (2010-02): NEW VERSION, NEW PACKAGING, NOW IN A 50 ML TUBE (see the third of the images for the product).

I actually only got the Tolérance because my local supplier was out of Avène Skin Recovery Cream, but had a big display of this newfangled stuff; I'd last met the Tolérance some years ago, when it was used on me in a hospital. Rapid summary: new packaging, lower price, little change to the cream itself. It's a splendid piece of 21st-century minimalist gorgeousness.

Skin here: sensitive, reactive, irritable. Also thin a.k.a. physically fragile. My usual face creams are Avène Skin Soothing Cream / Crème pour peaux intolérantes, A-Derma Skin Cream, and Avène TriXéra Emollient Balm. Which one I use depends on skin and weather conditions. Mixed in with oil, or with the oil underneath as a serum. Oil blend: 1/3 mineral, 1/4 safflower or sunflower, 1/4 sweet almond, topped up with jojoba and a little hazelnut. Or 1/2 mineral : 1/2 safflower or sunflower when skin is very reactive.

Anyhoo. On with the review proper.

Tolérance extrême is a very minimal cream, meant for intensive use to repair the skin; on sensitive skin, it can actually be used for quite a long time as a regular moisturiser (oops, the secret's out). Mostly Avène thermal/spring water; plus glycerin, mineral oil, squalane, safflower oil, cyclomethicone (full ingredients at end of review, all nine of them). It's pale and interesting. Feels creamier than the SRC, not as unctuous as TriXéra. Melts into skin and keeps it moist. No reactions. Quite the opposite: soothing (needed after misjudged sunscreen experiment).

Tolérance extrême used to be packaged in a set of little plastic vial-tubes. It's now been repackaged* in a 50 ml tube (inside a cardboard box) with a special new D.E.F.I. (Device Exclusive Formula Intact) closure system, so that--between that and the manufacture in sterile conditions--it needs no preservatives. It's superficially a double nozzle under a cap (it's more sophisticated than that inside); it lets cream out, but nothing in. The formula has changed slightly: same ingredients, slightly different order: squalane, cyclomethicone, and sodium carbomer have each moved up a place.

This is new on the shelves here in Canada, though the innovation seems to have been announced a few months back--there's a good piece on it from 09/2009, complete with a nice picture showing just how cunning a contraption this fancy new cap is, over at http://www.premiumbeautynews.com/Laboratoires-Avene-present-D-E-F-I,1202 [you night have to click "continue" for the link to become active...] Actually, if you'e into cunning devices, it would be worth buying a tube of this stuff just to take it apart to play with.

Currently CAD 34.50 for 50 ml. Would I buy it again? Absolutely. And not just for the D.E.F.I. I'll be keeping the TriXéra around for dry patches, hands, and colder weather; but I prefer the Tolérance to SRC: moister, less is needed, and cheaper. My only other comment is that there should be more creams like this out there, and less of the crap with unnecessary junk in it (that's so often expensive and ruins one's skin, necessitating further expenditure to make it all better again). This stuff is so basic you could make something like it at home: but you'd have to do so in daily batches, so Avène still has the edge with the sterile manufacturing and packaging environment, and the sterile closure system ... There's also an accompanying cleanser (not tried, am happy with current cleanser thank you very much).

INGREDIENTS: Avène thermal water 57%; glycerin; mineral oil (paraffinum liquidum); squalane; carthamus tinctorius (safflower) seed oil; cyclomethicone; glyceryl stearate; sodium carbomer; titanium dioxide.

No perfume, no preservatives, no emulsifier, no alcohol. Hypoallergenic, non comedogenic, sterile, physiological (i.e. same as skin) pH.

*The fonts on the packaging have also changed for the better: now everything's in a nice sans-serif, clearer and with more rounded characters than previously. The logo hasn't changed, but the pink freeform swirl is smaller and more restrained than before.
continued >>

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2009 12:34:00 PM More reviews by RavenBeauty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is an amazing healer. I can see why so many dermatologists swear by Avene and this product in particular. I've read amazing reviews about this stuff at various skin stores online and I must say they are right on the money with this one. I don't know how they managed to create a cream that actually works better than Cortisone, but this is it. I've tried a million different ointments and creams on this hormonal rash I get that comes and goes on my chest and neck area. Nothing has really cleared it up completely until I tried this and wow is all I can say! Not only did it clear it up almost immediately, but it feels so soothing and calming without even the slightest sign of irritation.

There are so many creams out there that claim they will calm your skin, but this one really does the job and beautifully I might add. I had an angry red rash on my neck and chest as I got closer to my period and within an hour or two all the redness and irritation was gone! If I keep applying this daily during that time of the month, I can actually keep the rash from developing at all which is a first for me! Usually not a whole heck of a lot will touch a hormonal rash, but this makes a significant difference in my skin (more than Cortisone or Benadryl and with no side effects)! It's actually good for your skin and does nothing but heal and repair in a very gentle way.

The only downside is that the formula has a tendency to leave a bit of a residue or flaking that can easily be wiped away with a tissue, otherwise you will see these little white flakes sometimes (not from your skin, but from the product itself). The picture that's up for this product is old and outdated, so be prepared to receive a very different looking product if you order this now (if you click on picture 2 at the top, that is how the product comes now). This comes as a set of 7 small tubes that are green and white for $30.00 through most online stores. The instructions tell you to toss each tube within three days after its been opened, but that's not really necessary. I keep mine in the refrigerator and one small tube has lasted me a couple of weeks no problem.

They do this because most of Avene's professional line is packaged in sterile doses meant to be used after procedures to the skin that leave it irritated or raw. A package of 7 tubes could easily last you two months or more if used sparingly or only in times of distress. I think Avene's chemists are geniuses because even their Thermal Spring Water Gel (not the serum) from their professional line works better than straight Aloe Vera on burns and redness! My skin was bright tomato red from a reaction to a product I had tried and it was burning something awful. Aloe was doing nothing for it (and I have three types of Aloe Gel at home). Even ice wasn't doing much to take down the redness. I broke open one of the small sterile tubes of Avene's Thermal Water Gel and the redness finally died down in 10 minutes and my skin returned to normal completely! Very impressed with the Avene line and this cream in particular (this and the Thermal Water Gel that also comes packaged in small sterile tubes, are my absolute favorite Avene products). Very impressive!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/10/2008 9:46:00 AM More reviews by lisasmith

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really like avene recovery cream and I thought this would be the same but better. I was a bit disappointed with it. Same trustworthy ,soothing avene but with a weird white residue that showed up in eyebrows and dry flaky patches. It left my skin looking much greasier than the recovery cream does ,but feeling less hydrated deep down.
It comes in a box of 7x5ml tubes and costs £13.95.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/24/2008 9:38:00 AM More reviews by honey123

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Totally agree with Kalimera.

If you have reactive skin then you should definitely have some of this on standyby.

My skin has Rosacea but before I was diagnosed I just couldnt use anything.

I used this and one pack lasts 21 days. I think this would be good for holidays/travel as its so easy to see how much you have left!

I used this with the treatment cleansers and my face was calmed immensley.

I am now using the new Clinique anti redness range but would not hesitate to use this product again.

Recommended.