Avene Tolerance Extreme Anti-irritating Soothing Cream

Avene thermal water 57%; glycerin; mineral oil (paraffinum liquidum); squalane; carthamus tinctorius (safflower) seed oil; cyclomethicone; glyceryl stearate; sodium carbomer; titanium dioxide. No perfume, no preservatives, no emulsifier, no alcohol. Hypoallergenic, non comedogenic, sterile, physiological (i.e. same as skin) pH.

on 11/30/2011 3:59:00 AM

This product totally saved my skin, it made such a huge difference.
I've been a product junkie for more than 20 years and I tried every kind of cream, toner or serum with only the occasional minor problem now & then.
The last months however my skin was very very upset: redness and breakouts, dry patches and heavy shine on my t-zone. I was desperate until I decided to give up my sophisticated routine of cleansers, exfoliants, serums etc.
I started a strict regime of Avène Thermal Water before and after moisturizing with this Soothing Cream. Make-up removal happens quickly with Bioderma Sensibio H2O. I also stopped using tap water to wash my face, thermal water works better (if you take a shower, spritz the water immediately after).
Et voilà, welcome back normal, good looking skin!
I learned that when skin is irritated, it can produce all symptoms of "bad" skin, so first thing to do is to calm it down to make a lot of problems disappear.
I can seriously recommend this toned-down regime to everyone suffering from difficult skin, especially if you're changing climates, when you think your skin got overdosed on cosmetics, when you're pregnant or in any situation where skin acts upset. It's best to do this at least 2 month before - gently - returning to a more elaborate routine, if you ever wish to do so again, that is.

on 11/8/2011 6:08:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This is a fantastic moisturiser for irritated or allergy prone skin! It has no frills and is very basic with minimal ingredients. I find it very moisturising, maybe a little bit too heavy for my combination skin but it is so soothing I dont mind and is great for winter months. This will be a staple in my skincare collection for sure! EDIT I am now using this again a year later (winter again) and I am kicking myself for ever straying! My redness has pretty much gone now, my skin is sooo calm and clear! Even when the weather warms up and I cant use it in the day, I will use it as a night cream. Best moisturiser ever! EDIT Sadly my skin ended up reacting to this after awhile (redness, breakouts and didnt sink in anymore), perhaps it is too greasy/heavy for my skin to use consistently after all. Sigh!

on 9/19/2011 9:24:00 AM

This cream made my face greasy and it didn't help with my irritation.

on 3/6/2011 12:21:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I'm really bummed this product did not work for me. I was so hoping ti would because I am sensitive to preservatives and emulsifiers. I'm not overly sensitive to mineral oil though, but this product totally gave me clogged pores in areas I practically never breakout in. It did help minimize redness in my check area, but the clogged pores was a deal breaker for me. I'm guessing it might be the glycerin or squalene, not sure though. I even tried just using it under my eye for extra moisture and I got a red bump there! I even liked the packaging too, but sad to say I will not e repurchasing this again.

on 1/22/2011 5:50:00 AM

Ladies:) This product seems to be good. Is there anyone who use this product for the seborrheic dermatitis scars? I am thinking of buying it. Please, help me:)

on 12/4/2010 8:34:00 PM

I have very sensitive, reactive skin, condition which limits my choice of skincare products I can use. I had high hopes for this creme, but of all Avene's produts it was the one to irritate my skin, left it try, red , and flaky. Go figure. I am back to Trixera.

First, I really don't like the package. If I try to apply it, I allways take more than I need because i push it too much and this is quite a waste for me. The consistency is quite rich, better for dry skin. I like the 9 ingredients (or how much) composition, which can prevent many allergies. I am not allergic to it, BUT it clogs my pores (I was wondering about for a long time what product is doing that)... I won't repurchase, I have been expecting something better.

on 10/21/2010 7:12:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I loved the product and hated the "innovative packaging". First 50 ml tube I bought and delivery system worked well the first 8 or 9 times then seemed to get clogged. You can't unscrew the top off of the tube so kept trying -squeezing harder until finally at least a 2 inch long portion of product ended up on bathroom ceiling. Tried a few more times with similiar results -bathroom sink, ceiling or floor. I thought that I had a "lemon" tube and liked the product (if I could catch it) well enough to buy another. Same result. Called customer service and the rep sounding bored advised me that they were aware of the problem but that it was a patent issue and suggested that I try to catch the cream in a bowl. She did not offer any other advise or replacement tube. I may seem hyper picky here but don't particularly relish the thought of playing try to catch your facial cream in a bowl at 5:30 a.m. My skin is so sensitive and this product yielded such good results that I am probably going to reluctantly buy yet a third tube and hope for the best.

on 8/16/2010 11:27:00 AM

I have EXTREEEEEMLY sensitive skin and when nothing helps , this one does. It is really soothing on my face. I use it as a moisturizer, but unfortunately in summer months it's bit too heavy and had to look for something lighter.

I have atopic allergic dermatitis at one spot (bellow my eye) and tolerance extreme has caused no reaction on my face.

on 2/20/2010 11:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

NB (2010-02): NEW VERSION, NEW PACKAGING, NOW IN A 50 ML TUBE (see the third of the images for the product).

I actually only got the Tolérance because my local supplier was out of Avène Skin Recovery Cream, but had a big display of this newfangled stuff; I'd last met the Tolérance some years ago, when it was used on me in a hospital. Rapid summary: new packaging, lower price, little change to the cream itself. It's a splendid piece of 21st-century minimalist gorgeousness.

Skin here: sensitive, reactive, irritable. Also thin a.k.a. physically fragile. My usual face creams are Avène Skin Soothing Cream / Crème pour peaux intolérantes, A-Derma Skin Cream, and Avène TriXéra Emollient Balm. Which one I use depends on skin and weather conditions. Mixed in with oil, or with the oil underneath as a serum. Oil blend: 1/3 mineral, 1/4 safflower or sunflower, 1/4 sweet almond, topped up with jojoba and a little hazelnut. Or 1/2 mineral : 1/2 safflower or sunflower when skin is very reactive.

Anyhoo. On with the review proper.

Tolérance extrême is a very minimal cream, meant for intensive use to repair the skin; on sensitive skin, it can actually be used for quite a long time as a regular moisturiser (oops, the secret's out). Mostly Avène thermal/spring water; plus glycerin, mineral oil, squalane, safflower oil, cyclomethicone (full ingredients at end of review, all nine of them). It's pale and interesting. Feels creamier than the SRC, not as unctuous as TriXéra. Melts into skin and keeps it moist. No reactions. Quite the opposite: soothing (needed after misjudged sunscreen experiment).

Tolérance extrême used to be packaged in a set of little plastic vial-tubes. It's now been repackaged* in a 50 ml tube (inside a cardboard box) with a special new D.E.F.I. (Device Exclusive Formula Intact) closure system, so that--between that and the manufacture in sterile conditions--it needs no preservatives. It's superficially a double nozzle under a cap (it's more sophisticated than that inside); it lets cream out, but nothing in. The formula has changed slightly: same ingredients, slightly different order: squalane, cyclomethicone, and sodium carbomer have each moved up a place.

This is new on the shelves here in Canada, though the innovation seems to have been announced a few months back--there's a good piece on it from 09/2009, complete with a nice picture showing just how cunning a contraption this fancy new cap is, over at http://www.premiumbeautynews.com/Laboratoires-Avene-present-D-E-F-I,1202 [you night have to click "continue" for the link to become active...] Actually, if you'e into cunning devices, it would be worth buying a tube of this stuff just to take it apart to play with.

Currently CAD 34.50 for 50 ml. Would I buy it again? Absolutely. And not just for the D.E.F.I. I'll be keeping the TriXéra around for dry patches, hands, and colder weather; but I prefer the Tolérance to SRC: moister, less is needed, and cheaper. My only other comment is that there should be more creams like this out there, and less of the crap with unnecessary junk in it (that's so often expensive and ruins one's skin, necessitating further expenditure to make it all better again). This stuff is so basic you could make something like it at home: but you'd have to do so in daily batches, so Avène still has the edge with the sterile manufacturing and packaging environment, and the sterile closure system ... There's also an accompanying cleanser (not tried, am happy with current cleanser thank you very much).

INGREDIENTS: Avène thermal water 57%; glycerin; mineral oil (paraffinum liquidum); squalane; carthamus tinctorius (safflower) seed oil; cyclomethicone; glyceryl stearate; sodium carbomer; titanium dioxide.

*The fonts on the packaging have also changed for the better: now everything's in a nice sans-serif, clearer and with more rounded characters than previously. The logo hasn't changed, but the pink freeform swirl is smaller and more restrained than before.
continued >>