November 23, 2014 | 1222 users online

Toners - Clinique - Clarifying Lotion #2

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2014 5:31:00 PM More reviews by xTillyx

This is a great toner that has improved my oily t-zone & spot prone skin. I have been using this for a month as part of the Clinique three step system (morning & night I wash my face using the mild facial soap, followed by rubbing this toner all over my face with a cotton pad then finally I moisturise with dramatically different gel & these three products work very well together on my skin. A lot of people claim this is harsh on their skin & have experienced stinging/burning but I have never - it makes my skin feel soft, cleansed & clear :-)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/25/2013 12:15:00 PM More reviews by StarsnRocketsES

A nice toner that does not irritate my sensitive skin. It removes excess dirt and oil that my cleanser missed. My skin is left cleaner and moisturized. I still apply a moisturizer after using this product.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/24/2013 12:25:00 PM More reviews by prettypollyperkins

After using this for years with great results I have now come to the conclusion that it is just too harsh for my skin which has recently changed from plain old oily/combination to oily/combination with some dehydration, mild acne and rosacea. I am sad to part company but I will be using just rosewater to tone until I find something that does what this did for me (removes all traces of cleanser, exfoliates, leaves skin soft).

rated 1 of 5 on 12/4/2013 6:54:00 AM More reviews by Lochinvar

Yuk. Just Yuk. Old fashioned stringent stuff that dries my skin out and doesnt' do my skin any favours.

Seriously, rubbing alcohol would be better value for money and less revolting on my skin.

This is everything a bad old fashioned toner was. Its everything a toner should not be. I regret spending money on this stuff. Isocol rubbing alcohol or turpentine would have been better value for money.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2013 8:53:00 PM More reviews by fluffmonsta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I've been using Clinique toners for about 9 years. I started off with Clarifying Lotion #3 when I had cystic acne. after 4 years, my skin actually repaired itself enough to look like totally normal, healthy skin, thanks to the toner. I switched to Lotion #2 when my skin became normal.

yes, its alcohol based but I do believe some skin types will suit it. for reference I have combination, sensitive skin, which is occasionally acne prone (I still get 3-4 cystic pimples when i'm very stressed). I've tried other brands of toner (avene, body shop, etc) but they are "weak" on my skin. this perfectly cleans every last vestige of cleanser, makeup, dead skin cells, and bacteria off my skin, twice a day.

I believe it has a mild "exfoliating" effect as well, since it effectively removes any dry skin flakes and creates a perfect smooth canvas for makeup. I wouldn't dream of putting on makeup unless my skin has been buffed with this toner on a cotton pad. I can really feel my skin incredibly healthy and radiant when I use this. when I switch to other brands my skin is less smooth, "rubbery", and develops tiny bumps.

do give it a try and perhaps drop to Lotion #1 if you feel this is too harsh. consult the Clinique staff for great recommendations and advice. :)

rated 4 of 5 on 11/6/2013 9:27:00 AM More reviews by sm92soel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought this when my skin started acting very strange a few months ago. I´ve always had combination skin with the occasional zit, but now I was experiencing dryness with some very rough skin texture, big pores and at least five zits at once. Amagin my panic haha. I wanted fast results so I turned to Clinique and I sinse I bought this toner my skin has acctually gone back to normal! Alltough I know it contains some not-so-good ingredients like alcohol and stuff so I have no idea what this will do to my skin in the long term. But I will probably buy it again and use it only when I need it and use something else when my skin is good. =)

rated 3 of 5 on 10/3/2013 9:31:00 PM More reviews by Nicolebby

I got this as part of the three system set, and while I don't particularly like ANY of it, I would have to say that this toner is the worst.

At first, I did not mind that this would sting or burn a little after I used it. It wasn't the first toner that I had used that wasn't the nicest to apply. And the smell wasn't so strong that I was disgusted either. I think what ruined it for me was how much OILIER my skin seemed to be after I would use it.. I have combination skin- on oil T-Zone and on my cheeks with dry spots between my eyebrows and around my nose, and this just made it worse. Seriously, it was horrible.

I guess this product wasn't a total fail though... My husband (whose skin is on the dryer side) has used this since I mentioned that I was about to throw it out, and says that he likes it...

rated 3 of 5 on 10/3/2013 12:50:00 PM More reviews by amikuki

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Out of all my cosmetic-related products, this the product that I have used for the longest time and have repurchased most often, which is saying a lot for me because I love trying new things and rarely ever repurchase something.

Did it sting and dry out my combination skin (dry cheeks with slightly oily T-zone)? Oh yes. Was I aware that my T-zone became oilier after use than before? Yup. Did I realize that it's probably not a good idea to apply alcohol to same spot once or twice a day everyday? Yes. But I was addicted to the CLEAN feeling I got from using this. It got to the point that if I don't feel a burning sensation and see dirt/makeup/oil on my cotton pad after using a toner, it was no good, and nothing could top this baby. No pain no gain, right? So imagine my shock when I looked down at the little round pad and saw nothing after using my Clarisonic brush with the deep pore brush head (bad combination, by the way). Hallelujah! I quickly replaced my Lotion 2 with a series of gentle alcohol-free toners (Chanel Lotion Confort is phenomenal but expensive) and never looked back.

Bottom line: If you are using this toner get the clean feeling I'm talking about (which you probably are since neither Clinique nor anyone I've ever talked to purports that this does anything else), then it might be time to do some exploring. The beauty industry has expanded significantly since this toner came out, and there are products and combinations of products out there that does just as good of a job with cleaning without over-drying or irritating the skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2013 5:55:00 AM More reviews by tallulahlm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm hooked. Is it a little harsh? Yes. The first time I used this toner I actually thought I'd put nail polish remover on my face instead. It's definitely not a mild product. But, like coffee, it's an acquired taste. And addictive. Nothing cleanses my face like this well. It thoroughly removes dirt, makeup, you name it! I'll completely cleanse my skin and it will still pick up remnants, it's that good. And the refreshing, tingly feeling afterwards is amazing. I don't think I'll be satisfied with any other toner now.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2013 12:52:00 AM More reviews by draguladragula

This stuff is pretty awesome! I have sensitive, dry combination skin. I rarely get acne, but I do have a few blemishes. I use this along with the three step system and it has really helped clear my skin up! It seems as if it works better over time. Definitely will be purchasing again!