Garnier Olia

2.5

Colorant: Paraffinum Liquidum/Mineral Oil/Huile Minerale, Aqua/Water/Eau, Ethanolamine, Steareth-20, Caprylyl/Capryl Glucoside, Polysorbate 21, Toluene-2,5-Diamine, Steareth-2, Resorcinol, Parfum/Fragrance, M-Aminophenol, 2,4-Diaminophenoxyethanol Hcl, Sodium Metabisulfite, N,N-Bis(2-Hydroxyethyl)-P-Phenylenediamine Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid, Edta, Polyquaternium-67, Hydroxybenzomorpholine, Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil/Sunflower Seed Oil, Limnanthes Alba Seed Oil/Meadowfoam Seed Oil, Passiflora Incarnata/Passiflora Incarnata Seed Oil, Camellia Oleifera Seed Oil, Thioglycerin.After Color Conditioner: Aqua/Water/Eau, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Cetyl Esters, Amodimethicone, Parfum/Fragrance, Isopropyl Alcohol, Trideceth-6, Citric Acid, Chlorhexidine Digluconate, Cetrimonium Chloride.Developer: Aqua/Water/Eau, Paraffinum Liquidum/Mineral Oil/Huile Minerale, Cetearyl Alcohol, Hydrogen Peroxide, Steareth-20, Peg-4 Rapeseedamide, Glycerin, Polyquaternium-6, Hexadimethrine Chloride, Tocopherol, Pentasodium Pentetate, Sodium Stannate, Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate, Phosphoric Acid.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Horrible, horrible product. It's definitely the worst hair colourant I've ever used and I've been colouring my hair for almost 15 years! I've heard and read so many negative reviews about it but I thought I should try it out myself - probably not the wisest decision made.

Costs of curiosity:
1. It's not easy to get an even distribution of colour. The colour came out slightly patchy even though I carefully applied them with a hair dye comb (and my friends did warn me about this).

2. It's very difficult to rinse out the colour. I think I rinsed my hair under running water for almost half an hour, and three weeks after that, I still get colour on my hair towel. Obviously, colour on my hair faded within a month.

3. It dries out my hair A LOT, and I never had problems with hair drying out whether it's perm or colour or blow dry. These days I have to double the amount of conditioner and can't do without hair serum every day.

4. Hair fall. I'm definitely losing more hair after each shampooing.

So much for being curious. It's supposed to be a gentle and "better" hair dye without ammonia. What a shame! I would avoid at all costs.

I'm not so sure why there are so many negative reviews for this product! I guess for those who it works for, it works REALLY well...and for the rest, it just either doesn't work at all or not as well as they had hoped. Let me start off by saying, I have dyed my hair 5 times within the past month because of complications from a dye job gone wrong at the salon (yes, a professional screwed up my hair SO bad that it ended up turning GREEN!!) So, I tried 4 other dyes (all different brands) to correct the color (including a red to counteract the green) but nothing stayed in my hair... I finally had it and decided to go back to brown, so I called the Garnier product consultant number I found on their website and they recommended Olia 5.0 Medium Brown after hearing my story so I bought it at CVS that night. Everything was easy to put together and mix the color and developer. Only thing I will say is the applicator bottle is a bit of an odd shape...it is a bit hard to use if you have small hands like me. Anyway, I didn't find that the product felt super oily or heavy...to me it felt pretty similar to regular dye but it didn't smell as bad or cause my eyes to tear up because it doesn't have any ammonia. The thing I will say about this dye (as with any dye), make sure ALL your hair is saturated and there are no dry spots or patches because that is how your missed spots and patchyness occurs...so be mindful of that, if you can't get the back of your head ask a friend to do it for you! I used the whole bottle and made sure my hair was fully saturated with the dye. Left it on an additional 10 minutes then what the instructions said and washed it out. After washing and putting in a leave in conditioner I let it air dry and combed it out. It was extremely soft and silky and manageable, I didn't have any issues with my hair feeling dry or brittle...on the contrary it actually felt better than before dying it. The color is magnificent, it blended perfectly with the red I had left in my hair to create a dark brown with a hint of auburn. I LOVE it. I have washed my hair twice since dying it with Olia and have not noticed any fading. Make sure you use a color specific shampoo and conditioner and that should help those of you who experience your color fading quicker than 4-6 weeks. If you have brown hair like me I would highly highly recommend the Brilliant Brunette line by John Frieda or Redken Color Extend. Over all, I am very happy with my experience in using Garnier Olia 5.0 (I can't attest for any other colors though). I know that I will be re-dying my hair with this in a month or so when my roots start to show or color starts to fade.

Recently I purchased Garnier Olia in Permanent Hair Color in 4.0 Dark Brown. I wanted to find something for better coverage and longevity of color. I was pleased with the way it applied and did not run or color my skin. I liked the feel of my hair afterwards and the body my hair has ..... my hair was not as dry feeling.

The only negative is: when putting the Developer and the Colorant into the application bottle ... the lid for the bottle was very difficult to twist back evenly ... the product was oozing out between lid/bottle. I attempted several times to re-twist the lid on to no avail.....

I love the color, the coverage, the after effects.....BUT I DISLIKE THE APPLICATOR BOTTLE. I hope the company will perfect this small problem.

Kathy

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I purchased this because it was on sale at Shopper's and I've been looking to switch up my hair. As a teen I think I used every box dye there was and always found blacks to wash out or fade pretty quickly so I didn't think too much when picking this one up. It was on sale and I figured the oils wouldn't damage my hair so much.

For reference I have medium thickness curly hair with frizz if I don't treat it right. After eliminating silicones and sulfates it has been very soft and manageable.

Overall this product I find is mediocre. I got scared reading all the negative reviews about it drying out hair so I used an extremely generous amount of the included conditioner and a generous amount of post shower oil. It still feels a little stiff though.

Pros:
Didn't stain my scalp or skin
good black colour, good coverage

Cons:
Seems really damaging to hair (counterintuitive to what the box would have you believe)
bad developer bottle design
My gloves had a hole in one of the fingers
REALLY hard to rinse out. Thought I got it all after standing under the shower for ~10 minutes and a cold rinse but still managed to stain my towel.

ETA: Downgraded to 1 because this absolutely fried my hair. I'm naturally frizz prone so I thought it might have been that, but my hair has been crunch for days. Colour seems to have faded from my temples. Would not recommend.

ETA PART TWO: Honestly if I could give this stuff negative stars I would. My hair is no longer crunchy thanks to masques but the colour has faded like crazy. Unless you're looking to damage your hair for pretty much no reason do not purchase.

I have died my hair at home several times and a range of colours over the years and have always tended to use Loreal dyes because they have the largest choice of colours.

My hair was light brown but I was starting to get a little bored and wanted to go back to red which I have been several times before. I picked up a box of garnier Olia in intense red as I loved the colour that was on the box. I thought it would be similar to other dyes I'd used before - I was so wrong!

The colour is really easy to prepare and smells a lot better than any other colours I've used. I really disliked the bottle as it was so round. I tend to roll the mixture like a rolling pin as well as shaking it and it was not possible with this bottle.

The dye was easy to apply, you apply on dry hair and although the texture is quite runny, it didn't drip. My hair is medium thickness and shoulder length. I'm used to using just one box of dye and although my whole head was covered I didn't feel like there was as much mixture as I'm used to.

While I was rinsing off the dye and applying the conditioner, I felt that the texture of my hair was a lot rougher than usual and felt knotted.

Once I'd blowdried my hair the results were horrendous! My hair felt and looked dry. The colour was patchy and ranged from bright red, pinky to dull reddish brown. All of the shine was gone and despite rinsing for ages there were a couple of strange oily sections -
Not sure if this was the oils in the dye or the conditioner. I am no colouring expert but I've coloured my hair loads of times and have never seen anything like it. I wish I had checked the reviews first!

In the end I stripped a lot of the colour out with clarifying shampoo and did a conditioning treatment the next day. A few
days later I then used a loreal preference colour (dark red) over the top. This covered it really well and gave me an even colour - thank goodness!

I've been colouring my hair for over 10 years now, and I've always been very adventurous with my hair- from bright red to bleach blonde, and everything in between. Black is my default colour when I want something more calm and professional. Last week I had an event to go to and needed to colour my hair, mostly the roots. When I colour my hair black, I always do it at home by myself with professional hair dye, but that day I ran out and had to go to the drug store. Remembering the commercial, I chose Olia. I put the mixture for 20 minutes on my roots and then 10 more minutes on the length and rinsed. When I dried my hair, I was in total shock. My hair was fried. I've never had such damaged hair, even when I bleached it. The next day I went to my hairdresser and she couldn't believe that the hair dye did that. She treated my hair with all that she could, but at the end she said that I have no choice but to cut it short, otherwise it will just break on its own. I'm still shocked that it happened, at a time when I was trying to grow my hair longer- now I have to get a bob again to get rid of the damage. DO NOT USE THIS! This is by far the worst thing that eve happened to my hair.

This was the first time I had dyed my hair in about 2 years. I bought two boxes of the intense copper as my hair is on the longer side and a bit thicker. After putting in and getting all of my hair covered a waited the suggested time. When I was rinsing my hair per instructions I found it difficult, it felt like wax had dried and set in my hair. Once I was out of the shower I immediately noticed my roots were the colour on the box but as I dried my hair I realised this is where it stopped. My hair is now extremely patchy my roots and ends are the right colour but all in between is either darker copper or no colour at all it looks like a toddler tried to dye my hair. Very disappointed as I have never had a problem dying my hair before now and have now wasted my money.

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I have thick hair, and the strands are a bit coarser than medium or average hair, but not exactly coarse hair. Moving on, the scent is pleasant and i find no need to ventilate the smell or anything. I purchased this is Light Garnet Red 6.65. I did have red hair previous in before but it faded (red hair tends to fade fast, so use no sulfate shampoos and conditioners!). I had about a dark orangey copper tone, not light, but a darker version. As i was dying my hair i noticed that it was hard to destribute actually, maybe the bottle was too big for my hands. The color when i applied it was sticky, almost like an elmers glue consitensy. The color looked burgandy when i started applying it, so i got a bit worried. On my roots the color showes up red but everywhere else was burgandy (which is about how it goes cause roots are hot and the ends are mainly harder to dye). I actually left it on for 40 mins so the hair could be penetrated. Anyways, my hair turned out actually a shade level darker which was unsatisfying since it was a level 6. The color did have a bit of a cooler undertone, but it was still red, but not a bright red. It sucked cause my hair was so much lighter and this made it darker. The next day i showered with no sulfates, and when i came out roots and mid hair area was just 1 shade lighter warm brown. But my ends were still that dark-medium red.
I was really unsatisfied with this product.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

to the idiot that complained about her burning scalp, that's why they tell you to do a patch test.....they're not liable for your stupidity and lack of reading comprehension skills as they clearly warn you AND provide a step by step process on how to do a skin allergy test 48 hrs before application. They don't owe you anything.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

It's a nice colour but seriously it washed out after like 3 washes so therefore it is not permanent!!!!