April 18, 2014 | 2028 users online

Hair Color - Garnier - Olia

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2014 10:58:00 PM More reviews by krisrose73

I read the negative reviews and decided to try this anyway. I'm so glad I did. I may have just found my holy grail hair color. I have dark brown almost black hair and have stubborn grays around my hair line. I used the darkest brown color and this covered the grays completely and left my hair the most beautiful color. It feels thicker, shinier and healthier. I had no problem with the packaging and the consistency of the hair dye left no mess. I usually have drops everywhere. Rinsed out easily. Conditioner was good. I think this may replace my normal go to, ColorSilk. Very happy with how my hair turned out.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/7/2014 12:21:00 PM More reviews by gonzallo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

About Me:
Age: 30
Eye Color: Green
Skin Tone: Medium
Natural Hair Color: Light brown
Hair Length: Just past my shoulder blades, medium thickness
Existing Professionally Dyed Hair Color: Medium/Dark Auburn
Olia Color Purchased: Light Intense Auburn 6.60
Cost: On clearance at Target for $6.90, had a $3 off manufacturers coupon from Olia. Total cost was $3.90 + tax.

Background:
I recently decided to go back to dying my own hair for budgeting reasons. My hair grows at an average pace (standard 1/2 inch of outgrowth/month) and I've been progressively getting more grays as I age (I'm probably about 5-10% right now). My mother went fully gray in her mid-30s so this isn't unexpected.

I've been having my hair professionally dyed an all over single color (medium/dark auburn) for several years now. My stylist uses Goldwell hair color. In between visits, I use Nice and Easy root touch up kits in dark auburn. This has been working quite well, however, at $100+/salon visit, the cost has gotten too high for my liking.

My thoughts on Olia:
I was looking for something that could maintain my dyed hair color on my own. I deliberated over several brands and colors including Olia, Revlon Colorsilk, Feria, and Clairol Perfect 10. In the end I chose Olia because Target was out of the shade that I wanted to try in Revlon Colorsilk and I was too lazy to go somewhere else.

The application was pretty standard fare. I thought I would be able to get away with 1 box since I picked a shade not too far-off from what I already had, but that was a mistake. I should have bought two boxes. The consistency of the dye is rather liquidy and it was a really creepy orange sorbet color during application and processing. Since I'm used to dye being rather darker, this was a surprise. I personally am rather impartial on scent since most hair dye smells don't bother me. That being said, this one didn't smell bad, but it didn't smell good either.

Lots of reviewers have commented on the oddly shaped bottle. I didn't find it particularly troublesome, but it does have kind of a bulbous shape that would probably be difficult for people with smaller hands to use. If you decide to go ahead and try Olia, I recommend that petite-handed ladies swing by Sally Beauty and pick up a cheap bottle to use instead.

I left the dye in for about 30 minutes. As other reviewers have stated, this dye takes FOREVER to rinse out. I rinsed...and rinsed...and RINSED! Even then it was still running a sort of diluted red when I finally just gave up and finished up with the conditioner. The conditioner is nothing special. I used it the first time but then switched back to my regular EverPure Sulfate-Free Color Care Moisture Conditioner.

I noticed right away (even wet) that the color was a lighter red than I had perhaps envisioned. Oh well, no biggie. I leaned in close to the mirror under the vanity light and parted my hair in several spots so I could see how it had covered my grays and, as other reviewers have experienced, some of my grays were not covered at all and others were covered, but noticably lighter than the rest of my hair. BOO! Even after drying, I noticed that the color appeared to have applied somewhat unevenly to areas that I know were very saturated with dye.

My overall experience was that Olia was a fail. If it doesn't cover the grays, I simply can't endorse it. It's a shame too because the color had a lot of potential and is actually a very lovely shade of coppery/auburn. My husband and mother both love the color and I have received a number of compliments. It has been washed several times now and seems to fade only slightly (I wash my hair with cool/cold water and uses color care products). Alas, my stubborn grays remain or are a weird blondish color.

Better luck next time Garnier.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2014 6:09:00 AM More reviews by Gavrilushka

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This product is NOT for people with fine hair as Olia provides a high vol. developer which causes hair to dry out - if you have brown or blonde hair, avoid this product!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just used this now in Intense Red (6.60) and am so happy with the results! I have dark Asian hair and after dropping $80 at a salon who did not manage to dye my dark hair red, I decided to do it myself. I bought a bottle of 40 vol. (12%) as most hair colorants only come with a 20 vol. (6%). However I was pleasantly surprised to find Olia gave 30 vol. (9%) developer - this is probably the reason why a lot of people are rating the product negatively. The higher the vol. the more dry your hair will feel as it causes more damage to the hair. Not unless you have dark Asian hair or thick hair should you be using 30 or more.

I did not use the applicator - If you want even coverage just avoid all of the squeezy tube applicators. Just buy a brush and mixing bowl at your local beauty supply store and mix and apply like you were painting. For my dark 2.5 inch long roots that did have dye on them that did not show up thanks to awful hairdresser I used half a tube and mixed it with 40 vol. developer leaving it in for the required 50 minutes. 10 minutes after application I mixed the second half of the colour with the provided developer and used that on my previously dyed lengths which had turned brassy - massaged it all in and stuck a cap on my head for 30 minutes. Then I followed the instructions.
Be generous with the conditioner - my hair felt overly dry afterwards, so I'm sure I used around half of the tube of the conditioner. Remember to leave it in for at least 10 minutes.

Results? I was pleasantly surprised. Not only did my bathroom turn into a slaughterhouse by the looks of it, my hair (thanks to the lack of ammonia and the awesome conditioner) is soft, silky and it doesn't reek of harsh chemicals. In fact - the product itself doesn't smell awful at all. As for the colour - in the light it looks exactly like on the box, but considering my base colour is dark, in dimmer lighting it looks darker, but still lovely red.
I'm impressed. It looks better than half of the salon jobs I've had it looks on par on a salon job I had that cost me $150. I'm happy. It's gorgeous!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/6/2014 9:31:00 AM More reviews by kamiller1972

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

HORRIBLE...OMG, this stuff was just an epic fail. The coloring process was a horrible mess and in the end, the application came out splotchy and didn't cover a single gray hair. The only thing nice about this product, is the red is a very beautiful color...it's the application and lack of decent coverage that stinks.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/6/2014 6:41:00 AM More reviews by Croesloveglitter

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This was terrible. The bottle, while attractive, was round, slippery and a pain in the arse to squeeze. There was barely enough product and it made my hair feel not so nice after. The colour washed out so easily and stained my hand in subsequent washings. I have never had this happen with a permanent colour. Not a nice product at all. I used the blue black and had to recolour two week later.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2014 2:42:00 PM More reviews by rachelanne19

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

this is my new hair color. i'm never going back to any other kind. i've tried loréal, garnier nutrisse, voilà creme and garnier olia is so much better than the others. i don't know why there are so many bad reviews here??? i said to myself i'll try it anyway and i'm glad i did.

1- it smells great. no harsh smells like to other kinds. i was in a closed bathroom with no window open and didn't smell anything.

2- color is vibrant. i used soft black no. 2.0 and my hair is shinny, soft, you can't see split ends and it didn't leave it dry at all.

3 - i had plenty to do my hair. it's a little below my shoulder and i didn't ran out of the product.

4- little tip: i used a dye brush with a dye bowl and i worked great.

anyways 5 stars for me :)

rated 1 of 5 on 2/23/2014 1:04:00 AM More reviews by Keys756

This is nothing I thought it would be. My hair feels so dry and brittle. My hair feels like a broom. I got light ash brown but it looks more like a blonde tone. I absolutely hate this product and I wouldn't recommend it at all. I used This hair dye last year in a different shade and I hated it too, but I thought I would give it another chance. I hate my hair right now. I have nothing good to say about this product. False advertisement.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/21/2014 8:00:00 AM More reviews by ChristinaH30

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Well...I'm glad I didn't read the reviews before I tried it, otherwise I never would have found a hair color I'm finally happy with! Looks like I'm in the minority too because I love it! In the past 15 years I've spent nearly two thousand dollars coloring my hair. Every single color brand left my hair brassy to the point I had to go a shade darker to avoid so much brassiness. In the past two years I've been buying Clairol Professional Soy4Plex Hair Color - #3AA /57D - Medium Ultra Cool Brown trying to keep my medium ash brown from going brassy, but still it always did within two weeks.

This is where I'm surprised at other people's problems with the hair color. The 5.0 Medium Ash Brown was the first to NEVER get brassy! It stayed true! By the end of six weeks, yes the color has a slight change in richness, but that may be due to my use of sulfate-free for-colored-hair shampoo. In fact the only evidence of touch-up needed is when I see a bit of silver at my roots...only do a full coloring every three months. This completely covers my grays, matches my natural hair color, and maintains it's color! I've not had any dryness, however I always add a dab of extra conditioner out of the shower for the last six inches of my hair. What I really love is that every touch-up or new coloring doesn't look like a complete drastic transformation...just a slight refresh.

Lastly...what a ridiculous bottle. I'm guessing not one person in the marketing or R&D ever put on gloves and tried handle that goo covered bottle. I use a mixing bottle from Sally's.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2014 2:06:00 AM More reviews by fakingittillimakeit

I loved this product, I got the intense dark auburn.I would rate this 11 out of 10. It smells wonderful, it has a seperate squeeze bottle so you dont need to mix all the product just for a touch up. It is gentle on hair, and it makes hair feel like you just had a moisture treatment done at a salon. The after conditioner makes your har feel like silk and smells awesome. I wish they sold it on the shelf. I had to lighten my hair before using this product. The colour scale on the box was accurate. Yes its been a month and my hair still has mild colour running, but I only wash my hair one a week after a cocnut oil treatment, the colour stays well despite the mild running during washing. My hair was not damaged my scalp was not burned. It came off my white laminate counter easly with some acetone on a cotton ball. I loved this product. I even bought extra and stashed in my cosmetic cuboard. It is worth a try!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/10/2014 12:13:00 PM More reviews by hockeygirl324

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Simply awful. Very thick, glue-like texture, hard to work through your hair. I used this two weeks ago and my hair STILL doesn't rinse clean in the shower (I've never had a problem with any other dye). Also, this is the first dye to ever 1. burn my skin when it touched it (a tiny bit got on my forehead and before I got the chance to wipe it off it immediately felt like a chemical burn) or 2. stain my skin. I couldn't feel if my hair was truly saturated or not through the gloves so I ran my fingers through (never been a problem with ANY other dye I've used as long as I wash my hands off a minute later) and my fingers have been red ever since. The packaging is horrible, such huge tubes to just turn around and toss once you squeeze them into the bottle and mix, and the mixing bottle itself is too big to comfortably grip with one hand like how most people apply dye. I can't say much about staying power or fading since this is only 2 weeks old but everything else about this dye is so dreadful I'll never try it again. My box cost me $8, my usual dye (Revlon Color Silk) costs me $3 and gives better results. Also, very limited color selection. Spare yourself and don't try this one.