Garnier Olia

2.5

on 1/18/2015 10:54:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

For the past 6 months I have been using this hair dye and having been pouring all of my energy into loving it because I wanted to love it so badly but I have finally come to grips with the fact that this product is just not good. I used Garnier Nutrisse Cream dye in the shade 660 for about 4 years prior to my using Olia and I loved the vibrant, rich red shade but after a while the ammonia started to really damage my hair and I wanted to try and ammonia-free dye which is where Olia came into play. From the start this dye didn't work for me but the whole 'ammonia-free, oil powered dye' thing really pulled me in along with the packaging....they did a great job marketing this product if nothing else. This dye is incredibly vibrant and long-lasting which is essential when you are maintaining red hair but the problem with this dye is that it always leaves my hair incredibly patchy. The first 3 months I used this dye, I convinced myself that it was my fault that the dye was patchy because I wasn't diligent enough with my application but every single time I dyed my hair, whether I saturated my roots completely in the dye or not, some hair would be dyed and some hair would still be my natural brown shade at the root. Embarrassingly enough, where it seemed to be patchy most consistently was in my middle part, especially near the front of my face which is the most visible. Because of this, I was constantly having to go out and buy more dye in hopes that it might work the second time around (half the time it still didn't), or try and think of creative ways to hide the hair which the dye didn't cover. And call me cheap which I most definitely am but for the drugstore, this stuff is expensive at $15 a box and one box doesn't even cover my whole head, never mind having to run out for seconds when it doesn't work the first time! I'm also not sure if this is because of the oil in the dye but this dye stains like no other. I'm used to getting dye on my vanity and I'll usually just wipe it up with a bit of acetone (don't use acetone on wood surfaces!!) but this stuff does not come off period. Once it's on something, it's on it for good. I must say that one thing I did like about this dye was that it left my hair in excellent condition. I still got split ends because ammonia or not, dye does damage your hair but it left my hair in much better condition than the Nutrisse Cream. Right now I am using the L'Oreal Healthy Look Creme Gloss in the shade 6RP Vibrant Light Auburn and I don't notice any shade difference and the dye applies evenly. I think I'll be sticking with that for now. I do not recommend this product and I really hope that Garnier reformulates it because a product like this has so much potential!

on 1/15/2015 7:30:00 AM

I'm currently living abroad in Romania and I wanted to dye my hair from my natural, medium brown to a lighter brown. I saw the package for Olia and liked how it was ammonia free and seemed like it wouldn't damage my hair so I got the color 6.3 which looks like a Honey Light Brown. The box did not include an applicator so I just mixed it in a bowl and applied it with my hands. I followed all the instructions perfectly. After washing it out I was disappointed to see that there really wasn't a difference to my hair at all besides an interesting reddish shine. It isn't ugly but it also is hardly noticeable. The product did make my hair really shiny and soft though so I'm glad that I didn't have to worry too much about damaging my hair for nothing. I really wish this had worked because the color on the box looked perfect.

on 1/8/2015 3:37:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

Great for an oil treatment but not so much for covering random grays

on 1/5/2015 8:38:00 PM

Worst hair color ever! I have used Garnier permanent color in "Chamomile" for several years with great results. Saw this on sale at CVS and thought I'd try it since its the same company. Bought the color "light blonde" just to do a root touch up. First off the bottle was awkward and hard to get a grip to get an even line of color. After 10 minutes I looked in the mirror and freaked out as my roots looked darker by far than they were to begin with. I know with hair color that sometimes hair looks darker at first. Then I noticed that the colorant was staining my scalp and hair line skin a dark brown, something that with light blonde hair color of any brand had never happened before. After leaving it on for the correct time I saw that my roots were now very dark blonde and no lightning had taken place what so ever! i spread the remaining color onto the rest of the length of my hair according to directions. Left it on for a total of 30 minutes, followed the directions to the letter. I was dreading the rinse out as I knew my light blonde hair was now a very dark blonde. Fortunately I had some Feiria "go blonde shampoo" (don't care for it too drying, but I was desperate!)) and washed the haircolor out. Washed it twice. Blew it dry. Still way too dark and flat, no highlights at all! I searched online and found a tip to get out too dark of haircolor...12 vitamin c tablets mixed with 1/4 c shampoo, left on for an hour. That did help, but my hair is still not as light as it was. Waiting another week and I'm going to go back to the original Garnier in Chamomile.If you have blonde hair this product is a disaster! Only good thing is it didn't dry out my hair, most likely because it darkened and didn't lighten my hair, but the shine is now gone

on 1/5/2015 7:45:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Neutral

I have been dying my hair at home for 20 years and usually use L'Oreal Preference Creme with no problems. I wanted to try this because it has been several years since I tried something different. My hair is very long and thick and generally very healthy and I get lots of compliments. I found this to be a great producte. I always use a dark brown shade but the l'oreal always seems very flat with no shine at all. This came out extremely shiny with hints of red and gold which gave it a lot of depth and character which I love!! As others have said, the applicator bottle is horrible!! Maybe it would be okay if you are a 700 pound gorilla, but the bottle is way too huge to be practical. You must hold it with two hands to shake it and then it is so bulbous and top-heavy it seems to tip over all the time. But I do love the Long skinny tip which gets down to the roots nicely. My hair felt extremely dry and straw like and the provided conditioner did very little to help. I ended up using my regular conditioner (Biolage) to make my hair feel normal again. Normally the L'Oreal Excellence conditioner makes my hair feel fantastic, so this conditioner was a fail. So overall I will buy it again because the applicator bottle and the conditioner issues do not outweigh the excellent color this gave me. The great depth of color with the built in shine and highlights is worth the aggravation and I will just use my own conditioner if I buy this again. I absolutely loved the no ammonia feature, and no chemical smell. It literally smelled no different than using a regular shampoo and conditioner.

EDITED: It is now 7 weeks post-coloring and I bought Olia again in an even darker brown shade. My color has faded out about 75% from roots to shoulders but the ends (halfway down my back) are still the rich, shiny deep brown with gold and red tones.

Even given my extremely long thick hair, (18" long) I only bought one box. I'm sorry but if you know how to PROPERLY apply color, there is no reason to buy two boxes unless you are doing a huge color switch.... You need to comb through while applying to evenly distribute. This is thick and kind of sticky so you MUST use a big comb to keep combing as you apply.

On this 2nd application I learned to mix the products in the bulbous container without the gloves on!!! If you do, it's easy. Gloves make it slippery and impossible.

Remember this is an oil based, ammonia free dye! So it is gentle and mild. That means you can purchase a shade more dramatic than you want the end result to be. And it will fade quicker but at $8.95 versus $60 salon price you can afford to do it every 3-4 weeks! Since it's so gentle it doesn't damage the hair much.

Overall I like this product and will stock up on a few boxes in case they quit making it!

A lot of the negative reviews are on the red shades and those are notoriously difficult and problematic regardless of brand. I've even seen reds bleed onto towels after salon application so that's not specific to Olia.

I am using 3.0 Darkest Brown and I just can't say enough how rich and luxurious the end result is!! I've been using box color for 20 years and never came across color this deep and full of life. The mahogany and gold undertones are incredible!!!

on 12/30/2014 11:02:00 PM

One of the worst hair dyes I have bought. Garnier just cannot deliver. Bought this hair dye in a dark red, as my hair was already red, and it turned my hair almost more brown than red. I've never had a problem with oily hair, as my hair is fairy dry, this dye made my hair SO greasy it's ridiculous. WEEKS to get my hair back to normal & on top of all that 3 washes and it was faded. I wouldn't give this to my worst enemy.

on 11/29/2014 4:29:00 PM

Impressive. 100 % grey hair coverage. Beautiful smell. No ammonia.

on 11/11/2014 10:38:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Overall this is an amazing product, I'm already on my second purchase of this stuff. One bad side is that it's a little expensive for me, I got it for $8. The color I used was darkest brown, amazing color but if you don't re-color in 8 weeks it turns to a light brown. The condition it comes with is very good it lasts me about 5 washes. Overall the price is defiantly good for what you get.

on 10/7/2014 2:12:00 PM

This product (sandy blonde 8.13) is hard to figure out from it's packaging which meant I spent a good few minutes trying to figure everything out. I am very sensitive on my scalp and my scalp did tingle slightly when applied but nothing to worry about as I have used this product many times before and it also goes away when washed off. The colours come out nice, and the pre-packed conditioner means my hair is soft to touch afterwards. However, the colour (for me) does not last long and there are a limited number of shades available where I live.

Garnier Olia is a great product. Gentle on the scalp and good color, however the packaging makes it so frustrating to use that I'm looking around for another non-ammonia product. Why have you made it so ridiculously hard to use? Since I can't buy the Medium Golden Blonde in my city, I have to order it online and I order six at a time. The boxes are too big to store. Then it's almost impossible to get the developer out of the tube and into the dispenser. Why don't you put the developer in the dispenser? Once I get the color and the developer into the dispenser it takes five minutes to get them to mix together. Today I'd was ready to put on the after color conditioner and for the umpteenth time couldn't get the cap off and had to get out of the shower and get a rubber glove to give me some grip--still couldn't get the cap off. For the fourth or fifth time, I got scissors and cut the bottom off so I could use it. Who is the foggy blue morning designed your packaging? Send them back to the drawing board to rethink it so the product is user friendly.

Popular Hair Color Products