January 27, 2015 | 1369 users online

Lip Gloss - Cover Girl - Lip Perfection Jumbo Gloss Balm

rated 4 of 5 on 1/2/2014 1:35:00 PM More reviews by envy4elle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really do like the Jumbo Gloss Balm by Cover Girl. I think it's a much cheaper (and better-working!) alternative to Clinique's Chubby Sticks, being about $8 at Target, and it's definitely worthy of four stars. I purchased the "Blush Twist," and here's what I thought:

The packaging wasn't anything super special, but I do like the twist-up feature. No messy sharpening! On a few other reviews, the balm was wobbly as it twisted. I didn't actually see that on mine. Also, the actual tint of the balm on the lips does not run true to the color advertised on the outside of the balm, as well as when swatched on my skin. "Blush Twist" appears to be a rich, rosy toned pink on the outside, but actually looks like a soft light pink to me. It might just be contrasting with my skin tone, and the actual color is still good, but I thought that was a little weird!

I do have sensitive skin, but I didn't get any reaction from this product (yay, that earned it at least half of a lippie!). There wasn't any detectable smell and it rolled on feeling creamy, which I like. I did notice that it clung to dry patches and amplified them a noticeable amount, even if they were just slightly dry. Yuck, definitely a 'con' in my book. I found that while it didn't dry my lips, it certainly did not get rid of said dry spots. However, if my lips were plenty moisturized beforehand, it did retain and keep the moisture for a while (longer so than if I hadn't worn the jumbo gloss balm). I didn't find it moisturizing, but more of a lip protectant to keep it moisturized. :) It wasn't exactly a glossy look or feel, but it seemed more of a shimmery sheen. It takes a lot of building up (at least 3 layers) for it to be a little noticeable. I found five to six layers worked best for color (they weren't lying when they said sheer!). Once I did use it, however, it looked great!

It didn't last terribly long and I found myself replacing kind of often, but it was okay. It came off more when I ate, but unlike very tinted balms, it wasn't as easily noticed, which was a plus. It sounds like I'm naming a lot of cons, but overall I do have a fondness for the Jumbo Gloss Balm. :) Not entirely what it's advertised for, so if you have super dry lips and think a tinted balm is the way to go, I wouldn't recommend this one for you! However, it's a good, simple colored lip protectant for me and I use it often. I would definitely buy it again, but bewaring of its faults and using a straw when I drink! It fits in my purse and everyone says the color looks good on me, and I do love the creamy texture. So four lippies it is!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/2/2013 12:32:00 AM More reviews by zyrse

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My mom bought this in the mauve shade twist (275) but she didn't like it because the color of the top, that´s supposedly shows the color, didn´t match with the real one, wich is lighter and more pink. So she lend it to me, and I´m so glad she did becuase I finally find the perfect color for my lips! My lips feel mousturized when I apply it and I like very much the texture half lipstick, half gloss, and it shines beutifull .Unfortunately you have to reapply often, and when you drink something it stay more in the glass that in your lips, but most of the lips products do, and I don´t like that the long lasting ones dries your lips a lot. I´m definitely buyng this again!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/1/2013 1:20:00 PM More reviews by i8alltheBacon

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have Watermelon Twist..it appears to be a bright 80's pink lipstick, but it goes on light and semi sheer. It gives the look of flushed lips..like when you just get out of the shower your lips are darker..very natural. You can apply it with a heavy hand and get a brighter pink tone if you wish, but that doesn't look good on me **I have very pale skin and blonde hair. Doesn't dry my lips out, lasts about the same as a usual lipstick and doesn't have a bad smell or taste. I'd like to buy another colour or two. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 is because it's called "gloss balm"...there's nothing glossy or lip balm about it.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/26/2013 9:24:00 PM More reviews by midoriclarkbaba

I really liked this product, I have it in Berry twist and the pigmentation is great, it's moisturizing and feels great on the lips. The only thing I didn't like was that it wore off pretty fast and i kept having to reapply. But overall I really liked this balm.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2013 6:11:00 PM More reviews by italiana800

I have this in watermelon & it is a really nice pink that doesn't go overboard. It's a good thing for me because I'm usually not one to experiment with bright, intense colors makeup-wise. This has helped me feel okay to step out of my comfort zone a little. These are very moisturizing, non-chalky, & last a long time (pleasantly surprising). For about $7, you really can't go wrong with trying these out because I have used Clinique's chubby sticks before ($20 each), & this Covergirl version is an extremely good dupe...at a fraction of the price. I am very pleased with this product & I will definitely be re-purchasing & trying out different colors as well.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2013 10:57:00 PM More reviews by ashmiaka

i'm probably one of the few girls who generally avoid bright or intense colors when it comes to makeup, which is why i love these. they are definitely not intensely pigmented, but on my fair (NC20) skin, the colors do show up nicely. i have these gloss balms in "haute pink twist" and "watermelon twist" and both add a nice pop of color to brighten my face without looking loud. i really like that these don't morph into a neon color (looking at you, revlon just bitten balm stains), don't dry out my lips, and last a decent amount of time. they don't leave behind a stain after the color wears off like other jumbo balms do, but it doesn't really bother me. overall, i really enjoy these and would purchase more the next time i'm looking to update my lip product collection.

fyi - for those interested in "watermelon twist" -- i have found that jordana's twist & shine moisturizing balm stain in "sweet pink" is a pretty good dupe.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/17/2013 3:17:00 PM More reviews by Collage909

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

I saw these on sale and grabbed two because I love the Revlon ones so much. In comparison, these are kind of disappointing because they're sheer, not as pigmented as I expected. The one I was most excited about, coral, I can only see if I mute my lips with concealer or a nude liner. Still, they're definitely moisturizing and would show color if layered.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2013 8:26:00 AM More reviews by MariahB

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I love, love, love this lip gloss/balm/whatever-you-want-to-call-it

I've been dying to hop on this chubby stick/gloss/balm/whatever-you-want-to-call-it train! I've been wanting to try the Clinique Chubby Sticks, but I could never decide on a colour and for the price (approx $19 CDN) I didn't really want to experiment and end up with a shade that I didn't like.

This was a great buffer/trial. This is a wonderful formula. I chose #245 Ruby Twist. It is the perfect pop of colour and it is in a very convenient package (like a fat little pencil). It provides a nice balmy rich colour and it keeps my lips super hydrated. The colour is not too intense and cakey like come lipsticks. It's perfect for the work place or a "neutral" kind of make up day.

I'm so glad I tried this. I don't normally buy drugstore cosmetics, but this is worth buying! For a fraction of the cost of a Clinique Chubby Stick! I think I'm going to grab me some more shades!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/18/2013 3:28:00 PM More reviews by zockaflocka

I bought the Ruby Twist for a last minute 4th of July party and I was hooked! It's more like lipstick in that it doesn't have a scent, but also like a gloss by the post-application texture. The red usually lasts about 2-3 hours before it begins to fade a bit in the middle of your lips. I love reapplying it though, so that doesn't matter to me!

I bought the Watermelon Twist recently and the pink is SO perfectly summer! This one doesn't fade like the red one does, and the pigmentation is perfect and even.

The only con is that it comes off pretty easily around the rim of your cup/when you eat. Don't make out with your partner unless they want a coat too!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/16/2013 8:37:00 AM More reviews by iluvmac

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I purchased Haute Pink. It is pigmented, as it didn't look washed out over my berry colored lips. The first one I bought slid out of the tube. I am sure Cover Girl would replace it if asked. I loved the color, so I bought two more. It doesn't taste like much and does not smell perfumey. It did not cause ANY allergic reaction. It didn't moisturize much but didn't cause dry or cracked lips either. I use it on its own or wait 10 min for it to "set" & put gloss over it. The color is a slightly blue based Barbie pink. It goes well with my pale skin. This color would go well with many skin and hair color combinations. If you have trouble finding a pink lip color you feel comfortable wearing, this might be the one for you.