October 25, 2014 | 1740 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - Coco Noir

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2013 7:49:00 PM More reviews by pixietrixie

Perfume reviews are difficult, because it all depends on a person's body chemistry. Even the most expensive perfume can make someone smell like a pig in mud. With that being said, I absolutely adore this perfume! It works so well with my chemistry, and dries down to a sweet musk. The only problem is that it isn't as strong as Chanel Coco, nor does it last as long. And considering the price, I would like to get my money's worth.

Edited to add: Noir is not the right name for this. So definitely give this a chance of you're put off by strong, musky scents that usually go with this label. It's sweeter than any other noir I've tried, and it's soft enough to wear during the day too.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2013 7:23:00 AM More reviews by staci01

If the original Coco and Coco Mademoiselle had a baby it would be Coco Noir. The original Coco is my signature fragrance and I also like Mademoiselle for a nice patchouli punch from time to time. Coco Noir is such a tease as you think of Coco but then perhaps the house of Chanel decided to make it more intense? Heavier on the jasmine or labdanum or , hope of all hopes, the leather note? Alas ... no! *sobs* Just Coco Mad in the opening and mid and then a slightly fruity original Coco in the base. Arg. Coco Noir is nice, I will give it that, but it's not Noir to me. Noir says "Danger ahead!" in a mysterious way. Coco Noir has no danger. Chanel went the , sadly, safe route with the fruity notes. The black bottle is gorgeous (!!!) and I would buy a bottle just to look at for my collection as it is very noticeable right away. Will stick with the original.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2013 7:07:00 AM More reviews by pauvres

I don't get the shade surrounding this fragrance, it's amazing! Chanel is the best fragrance house simply for the fact that they each compliment each other while standing on their own. This recent addition has the floral citrusy-ness of Mademoiselle, coupled with the ambery sweetness of Coco, yet it stands apart from them. Classed as a night fragrance, I would say it is a lighter version of Coco but still long lasting. The base of sandalwood and vanilla really shine, and are complimented beautifully by bergamot and the florally mid notes (jasmine and rose.) It is wonderfully balanced, beautifully crafted and is truly one of the top fragrances of the year. Also, the bottle is so chic I can't deal. A true star.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2013 9:47:00 AM More reviews by sillage

I love Coco Noir. I also own original Coco in EDP & EDT & lotion -- plus Coco Mlle in EDP & EDT & lotion. IMHO, Coco Noir is nothing like black spicy Coco, more similar to fruitchouli Coco Mlle, yet a departure from it also.

I have trouble with Coco Mlle's screechy, sharp mandarin orange blast -- I seldom wear it because it distracts & annoys me.

Coco Noir is soft, smooth, mellow, and much more wearable than CM. It's a more well-behaved, toned-down, sophisticated, mature and elegant scent than loud, brashy CM, in my opinion.

There's a small bit of fruit note on top (orange-ish, like Coco Mlle), but when it dries down, I'd place it more in the category of Guerlain Samsara or Guilty Intense. It dries down to a soft, sensuous, skin-musky sandalwood perfume, with just a hint of fruitiness. Only the tiniest spray is required, as it's strong - a small bottle will last a long time. The opaque black bottle makes it hard to tell how much you have left.

Coco Noir is sensuous, elegant, understated, subtle, high-class, high-quality. It just has an mmmmmm quality about it -- but it's strong -- use just a *tiny* bit, and it will last and last in a subtle gorgeous way.

ADDENDUM 8/7/14: Wore it last night & again today -- and I'm getting a light inoffensive patchouli note that I hadn't picked up on before. So I'd call the drydown a sandalwood-patchouli-musk. Reminds me of my college days -- it's delicious & elegant, yet with a tiny bit of a goth or hippy quality, I think, from that hint of patchouli. Lovely!

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2013 9:51:00 PM More reviews by keiki300

i have mixed feelings about this one. I love original Cco but too heavy to wear all the time. so this is a good compromise. it goes on very heavy but he dry down is heavenly. Having said that it just smells like Coco diluted out. I sampled but not sure if I will buy a whole bottle. very rich and sophisticated. Nothing like Premiere which made me weak in the knees. the bottle is beautiful and I think one must wear it with business suits.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2013 4:31:00 PM More reviews by charmedbella

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Editing this review to add that this has become my signature, along with Chanel No. 5 (I can't pick just one, both fit into the different facets of my personality).

This is just amazing! It has all my favorite notes... patchouli, sandalwood, vanilla, rose, tonka bean, and bergamot. It's incredibly well-blended. My husband loves this and he says it smells like lavender. I fell head over heels in love with this fragrance as soon as it hit my wrists.

Everyone who knows me, knows that Coco Noir is my scent. It's sophisticated, elegant, modern, and incredibly alluring. Men love this perfume and I am constantly asked what I'm wearing by men when I have this on. It's sexy without being in your face and overpowering. It can work during the day because it is soft, but it would be the perfect date night or romantic evening perfume as well. There just isn't anything wrong with this perfume, it is incredibly versatile and works for almost any occasion. I would bathe in this if I could!

Coco Noir is my outward personality, it is what I convey to everyone I know: confident, sophisticated, and glamorous. Chanel No. 5 (my other signature), is my private personality, where I feel a bit more vulnerable, romantic, womanly, and whimsical.

For modern sensuality and elegance, I would wear Coco Noir.
For timeless romance and the ultimate femininity, I would chose Chanel No. 5.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2013 6:26:00 AM More reviews by cocorocha

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

hell no!
Coco is probably turning in her coffin from embarrasement for this one..
this is totaly lame, boring,fruity-patchouly combo not unlike Chanel Allure Sensuelle, but Sensuelle has some kind of aristocratic feeling to it, it definitely has the Chanel DNK,whereas this piece of c..p has zilch character,zilch feeling and nothing oriental whatsoever..
fruity concoction wrapped up in a beautiful bottle, isn't nearly worth the hype...
this to me is like someone tried to analyze connection between a reputational name such as Chanel, beautiful bottle and awful liquid...so, if this is popular, people just don't know what a good perfume is..(sorry this is my opinion)
I'm as objective as I can be!

horrid experience...

and, yeah, it is simillar to Coco, as Lagerfeld is to Brad Pitt...

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2013 5:46:00 AM More reviews by hollyc01

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Yuck! And by the way, SHAME on you Chanel!!! To sully the name of Coco with this grape pop treacle fest is comtemptible. Best watch your step and remember your customers expect better of the name Chanel. Awaiting Les Exclusifs 1932 release with great anticipation (don't disappoint me!) And thank you for Cuir de Russie in EdT and Extrait (an absolute bargain), I still love you!

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/12/2013 6:02:00 AM More reviews by YoHarajuku

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Feels to me like they stopped working on it half way through and said "good enough, they'll buy it anyway". This could have been a beautiful perfume but its a sorry excuse for a chanel fragrance. Lasting power is non existant, dissapears have 10 minutes.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2012 9:08:00 AM More reviews by danai

I was really anxious to try this fragrance, as I read it is inspired by the time that Chanel lady resided in Venice (by the way, I wonder why she's such a huge icon, despite that she's known to have been a pretty awful person). I am the hugest sucker for anything that's supposed to have anything to do with Venice, as it is by far my favorite place on earth and I just love everything about it, so I was more than ready to fall for this scent.
Like most people, unfortunately I am underwhelmed. Not that it's bad; it's actually pleasant to me. The thing is, the marketing leads you on to believe that this is a dark, sensual, heady evening scent. But in reality it's subtle, inoffensive and dignified, if that makes sense; I don't think anyone will hate it, but I don't think many will remember it either. It does give off an elegant vibe and it has its share of the soapy clean note most, if not all, Chanel scents seem to have. It dries down much better than it starts off: at the very beginning it smelled like a watered down version of another classic Chanel that I cannot put my finger on; as some previous reviews state, maybe Coco. I was not amused. But then it dried down to a warm, comforting, close to the skin scent that I really did enjoy a lot. But not for the outrageous price tag. This amount of money should go towards a strong, memorable, statement scent.
Bottom line: if I received this, say, as a gift, I would be excited and wear it gladly. However, would I shell out such a large chunk of money to make it mine? I'm afraid I wouldn't.

8 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No