Chanel Coco Noir

3.6

I LOVE this perfume soooo much! It's amazing, I don't understand why it got so much hate here. Forget the scent, can we talk about packaging?! When I first took it out of the box I was almost turned on by how sexy it looked. So sleek and chic and sophisticated. To be honest when i first smelt it before i sprayed it, i didn't like it, i thought it smelt too strong and too old-lad-ish. But when i actually sprayed on i was blown away. It lasts forever! I love sweet scents and this was that and much more, it has flowery notes too and they all combine together beautifully. It's very expensive but I think it's totally worth the money. You don't need too much of it because it's so potent and scent lingers for a long time. A lot of people compare it to Coco mademoiselle and I kinda agree with that. I loved Coco mademoiselle too but it became very popular very fast and even though it also smells amazing, everyone wears it or knows the scent, while this one is relatively new scent and you don't risk running into bunch of people wearing same scent as you. This might not be a big plus for you but it is for me. I don't really care if someone is wearing same top as me but when someone smells like me i kinda get little bit annoyed, idk that's kinda like my weird pet peeve.

on 3/24/2014 11:42:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I remember when this arrived at the store where I work. I ran over with the tester to the Chanel counter and grabbed a blotter. Sprayed the blotter, waved it about to let the alcohol evaporate, and fanned it under my nose. EEEUUUWW! Not impressed, and pretty disappointed.
Before Christmas '13, they sent us a bunch of Chanel samples - Mademoiselle, Coco, Coco Noir, Chance, and Number 5. One of the girls in another department came by and asked for samples after I had given a few to someone else. A couple days later she came back and asked for more samples of Noir, said she really liked it. I was kind of surprised, I figured older women would like it much more than young women. The samples are all long gone, but that same girl still asks every once in a while if I have received any more.
It amazed me that she liked it so well, so I figured I should try to put it on, see if I was missing out on something. I picked up the tester and sprayed one pump on the back of my neck. Went about my day, and would frequently catch wafts of loveliness. By the time I got home that night, I loved it. LOVED it! It's sultry, in a slow-burn way. Mademoiselle is sultry in a rather in-your-face way.
I really can't pick apart the notes. As another reviewer said, it is very well blended. I can only say, to me, it smells very burnt-orange. Doesn't smell black at all. It's dark enough to be good for nighttime, and light enough to be good for daytime. It lends itself well to any season, although I'll probably hold off during the summer - I have other light, fresh fragrances that will get more attention at that time!
This one is a keeper!

on 10/25/2013 11:44:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I am a man and I wear Coco Noir. I love the spicy fragrance which makes this perfume acceptable for a man to wear. My wife bought me my own bottle for christmas :-)

I think it can best be described as made for a woman but strong enough for a man.

Call me girly if you want to but my favorite fragrance to wear is Coco Noir by Chanel.

The title "Noir" is entirely appropriate: The fragrance has ingredients you will find in Noir scents. It is also about as "Noir" as today's woman wants to get. You have to look at ANY fragrance in perspective, considering the tastes of the time. We are also a global market more than ever, and perfume houses take that into consideration. I love that there is a very large size shower gel and body lotion for Coco Noir now, an excellent value for the money, and they have a beautiful smell. So let your imagination carry you away and allow yourself to luxuriate in this creation that has a very inspiration back-story!

on 9/15/2013 4:19:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Once again from the house of Chanel... a winner. My mother and I were introduced to Coco Noir while visiting the Chanel counter of Nordstrom. The lovely SA told us it was new. It blew us both away immediately. Now, I am already the owner of Chance and Coco Mad - both of which I adore. CN, however, MUST soon be added to my collection. I don't think I can live without it. (Fellow perfume addicts -you'll understand what I mean!)

Coco Noir is strong, bold, and sexy. Yet at the same time, universally flattering and unobtrusive. She definitely has a nighttime mood to her but the right person could pull her off during the day. The projection is strong, but, like I said, unobtrusive because despite her strength, there is a delicateness about her - my mother walked in and out of my room and left behind her a gorgeous trail of something I couldn't pinpoint (as I didn't know she'd applied her CN sample), but just smelled really, really freakin good.

I could see CN being a perfume for every age of woman from her 20s on up. Different from Chanel's other offerings, and a must have for me. Yum.

on 8/29/2013 5:12:00 PM

I love the original Coco, a warm, spicy Oriental, so I thought that I'd probably love this too. I like it, but I don't love it. It doesn't remind me of the original at all - it's a pretty floral, nice but not particularly unique or noteworthy.

on 7/16/2013 7:49:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Perfume reviews are difficult, because it all depends on a person's body chemistry. Even the most expensive perfume can make someone smell like a pig in mud. With that being said, I absolutely adore this perfume! It works so well with my chemistry, and dries down to a sweet musk. The only problem is that it isn't as strong as Chanel Coco, nor does it last as long. And considering the price, I would like to get my money's worth.

Edited to add: Noir is not the right name for this. So definitely give this a chance of you're put off by strong, musky scents that usually go with this label. It's sweeter than any other noir I've tried, and it's soft enough to wear during the day too.

on 6/9/2013 7:23:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

If the original Coco and Coco Mademoiselle had a baby it would be Coco Noir. The original Coco is my signature fragrance and I also like Mademoiselle for a nice patchouli punch from time to time. Coco Noir is such a tease as you think of Coco but then perhaps the house of Chanel decided to make it more intense? Heavier on the jasmine or labdanum or , hope of all hopes, the leather note? Alas ... no! *sobs* Just Coco Mad in the opening and mid and then a slightly fruity original Coco in the base. Arg. Coco Noir is nice, I will give it that, but it's not Noir to me. Noir says "Danger ahead!" in a mysterious way. Coco Noir has no danger. Chanel went the , sadly, safe route with the fruity notes. The black bottle is gorgeous (!!!) and I would buy a bottle just to look at for my collection as it is very noticeable right away. Will stick with the original.

on 6/9/2013 7:07:00 AM

I don't get the shade surrounding this fragrance, it's amazing! Chanel is the best fragrance house simply for the fact that they each compliment each other while standing on their own. This recent addition has the floral citrusy-ness of Mademoiselle, coupled with the ambery sweetness of Coco, yet it stands apart from them. Classed as a night fragrance, I would say it is a lighter version of Coco but still long lasting. The base of sandalwood and vanilla really shine, and are complimented beautifully by bergamot and the florally mid notes (jasmine and rose.) It is wonderfully balanced, beautifully crafted and is truly one of the top fragrances of the year. Also, the bottle is so chic I can't deal. A true star.

on 4/30/2013 9:47:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I love Coco Noir. I also own original Coco in EDP & EDT & lotion -- plus Coco Mademoiselle in EDP & EDT & lotion -- plus all 3 Chances in EDT. In my humble opinion, Coco Noir is not like the black spicy original Coco -- or Coco Mademoiselle either.

I have trouble with Coco Mademoiselle's screechy, sharp mandarin orange blast -- I seldom wear it because its orange-spice pungency distracts & annoys me. It's just too orange-peppery-spicy for me. Chance EDT is too spicy for me also.

Coco Noir is smoother, mellower, and more wearable (for me) than either Coco Mademoiselle EDP or EDT. It's a more well-behaved, toned-down, sophisticated, mature and elegant scent than loud, brashy Coco Mademoiselle, in my opinion. In fact, it might have been better to give it a different name altogether -- in order to avoid the inevitable comparisions.

There's a small bit of fruit note on top, but when it dries down, I'd place it in the category of Guerlain Samsara, Gucci Guilty Intense, EL Sensuous Noir, or Elizabeth & James Nirvana Black.

It dries down (to my nose) to a soft, sensuous sandalwood-incense-musk perfume, with only a hint of fruitiness. Only the tiniest spray is required, as it's strong - a small bottle will last a long time. The opaque black bottle makes it hard to tell how much you have left.

Launched in 2012, here are the notes, per parfumo.net:

Top Notes - Bergamot, Grapefruit, Orange
Heart Notes - Geranium, Jasmine, Patchouli, Rose
Base Notes - Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Vanilla, Frankincense, White musk

Mostly a sandalwood + incense + white musk, to my nose.

Coco Noir is sensuous, elegant, understated, subtle, high-quality. It just has an mmmmmm quality about it -- but it's strong -- use just a *tiny* bit, and it will last and last in a subtle gorgeous way.

ADDENDUM 1/12/15: I watched the Golden Globes last night and could imagine Coco Noir being worn by sophisticated raven-haired women like Amal Clooney (George's wife) or Catherine Zeta-Jones. The scent is dark, sensuous, quietly confident, & high-class.

Popular Fragrances