First let me explain my excitement and anticipation before purchasing this product. I think I was more worried that it would not live up to my expectations, to even begin really thinking about purchasing this product! But alas!!! I have the product in hand and have spent about 3 months with it so I feel I have a full grasp on my feelings for it.
I will try to hit all of the main points or concerns I have seen for this particular foundation.
1. I have read about this product not being travel safe. I can tell you right now 100% it is. When you very first pull this gorgie product out of the box, you will notice that there is a small plastic stopper stuck in the pump! SAVE IT! This will make it absolutely impossible to pump the product while it is intact! The only way this product is not safe is if you have thrown this little guy away! I simply replace mine after every use, and if you don't feel that is something you would like to do just throw it in a drawer for later when you decide to take a vay-cay!
2. I have also read that this product is very cakey, and I feel as though I have a pretty good idea why this is being felt by so many. It is all in the medium that you use! I put this to the test as well. The first time I applied this product I used a sponge (beauty blender doupe) and I could not figure out why everyone was saying this! Although I thought maybe this was just a case of mistaken mediums! So I tried using it with a flat top brush, and DING DING DING! Cakey! It went on way to thick, and I totally understood why this was happening! If you try using a blender or sponge I do not believe you will run into this problem!
All in all! I ADORE THIS FOUNDATION! The packaging is fantastic and the formulation covers EVERYTHING! I don't think I can say enough good things about this foundation! Seriously! And I typically use a light coverage foundation for everyday use and I have been finding myself switching it out and using the Kat Von D most days!
The only reason I gave it 4 out of 5 stars is for the simple fact that they did away with a lot of the lighter shades! BOOOO! I am the type of person who likes to take my foundation a shade or two lighter than my skin just so I can really get a good contour going, but they have taken the lighter shades from me :( Oh well, such is life!
If you would like to check out my first impression I have a video right here!!!
This foundation is seriously the best ! I saw a review on this a while back while I was searching for "Good" foundations. This foundation is FULL COVERAGE!!!! Ladies believe me when I say this .It comes in a little tube with a pump so its very convenient with the hygiene and easy to use. Yes it is a little heavy on the skin but then again what do you expect when you use a Full coverage foundation. A little tip from me to you , Exfoliate your face before use just so it wont stick to any dry patches, use a base under ( moisturizer, primer etc.) for easy gliding and use a brush whether it be a stippling or a buffing brush. This was just a little pricey at exactly 36.72 at Sephora taxes included but on the Brightside it last a while just because a little does go a long way !(: So do give this a shot !
I think this is a great product even though it is not what I was looking for. There are reasons why I gave it a 4 but not a 5.
- mattifying (lasted in the humid NYC summer)
- very full coverage (con for me but god for those who like full coverage; it's enough to skip the concealer unless you have really bad skin)
- wide variety of shades
- no transfer. NEED TO SET WITH POWDER. otherwise it feels sticky
- cute packaging, very Kat
- great for travel: i can lock it so there's no leaking and it's plastic so i'm not afraid it will break
- has an odd smell (kind of like rubber?)
- can be overly drying on people with dry skin
- need to work fast with it as it doesn't blend well after being on the skin; use in sections at a time. thick consistency; can easily get cakey
I don't have acne prone skin however I still love the all over full coverage look and this foundation is perfect for that! other reviews said that it can look too caked on and that is true, if you put too much on. i only need about one good pump for my whole face and that is more than enough. sometimes...well most of the time when i don't wash my face and sleep with my makeup on the foundation still looks perfect when i get up! i used it on my nina for her hs reunion and she liked it so much that she went out and bought it the next day.
the 34$ a bottle can be pricey but it does last a long time which is great :D
The packaging is adorable, and the coverage is amazing! I bought this with hopes of covering my redness and freckles, and while it does a good job, it made my dry skin look patchy and caked with makeup. The formula is just way too thick, and it's easy to wipe off, even when you set it. Throughout the day, if you don't have time for touch ups, you WILL look like a hot mess, because it oxidizes on your face and turns a little orange. However, if you just want to wear this for a special event for a few hours and get great coverage, it could work. If you don't like the "makeup face" feeling, this is not for you! Definitely a heavy duty formula.
I could never get this to go on smoothly and look even. I tried different brushes, blending with my fingers but nothing seemed to make a difference. This is full coverage, it does stay matte and it lasts all day. It didn't feel heavy to me once it was applied.
The smell is very noticeable. It smells like paint.
If you can get this to apply evenly it isn't a bad foundation. The price is too high IMO, especially since revlon's color stay outperformed it and is about $10 compared to nearly $40 for lock-it.
This stuff is awful! I bought it at sephora and one of the girls put it on me to try. It looked ok in the store so I bought it. But when I got out in the sun it looked so bad! Caked on and patchy. I thought I would try it at home and not apply as much as she used on me. It was still bad! I will definitely be returning this!
At first I LOVED this foundation. I thought it matched me perfectly, didn't oxidize, and was the PERFECT matte foundation. But then I gave it a few hours. It made me look like I had wrinkles I don't have. It is definitely a very thick foundation, a true full coverage foundation. It would be great for photos (I think) but in real life, it makes you look weird. I heard it has been reformulated and would consider trying it again because the color matched my skin so well, so this review may be updated.
I really disliked this foundation. As many choices there are for pale skin, they all seem to have too much of whatever undertone they're made for, too yellow, too pink, too orangey. I'm more neutral, & for the price I really can't buy more than one to mix. But even if I could have found a better match, I just didn't like the formula. It's VERY thick & had a mask like look on my skin, & I tried working with it & seeing if I could just apply less to sheer it out a bit, or even mix in a little moisturizer, but it didn't seem to work with this formula. I have since learned that for my skin type (dry), usually these very full coverage matte formulas aren't the best for me, plus I'm in my 30s so I do have a couple fine lines here & there. This just seemed to accentuate them because it's so thick. But then I saw a tutorial where there was a girl that was much younger than me using it, but it seemed like as soon as she was done & the minute she started talking & making regular facial expressions, I could see a line across her forehead that I'm sure I would have never noticed had she not been wearing such a thick foundation.
I was so stoked to try this, as I have some broken capillaries around my nose that I prefer to cover up, and I need full coverage there. Sadly, this didn't do it-or perhaps I should say, it did it too well. The stuff was like concrete! It was very thick and cakey, and set so quickly that I hardly had time to apply it properly first. The finished look reminded me of the pancake makeup that women used to add water to and apply with a big circular sponge-just like stage makeup. It's fairly expensive, too, so I will not be repurchasing this-it just didn't work for me. Five lippies for the pump bottle, though-I wish more companies would use similar packaging as it is easier to get just the amount you need.