October 25, 2014 | 1759 users online

Liquid - Kat Von D - Lock-It Tattoo Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 10/15/2014 10:56:00 PM More reviews by HannahLDR99

This foundation covers amazingly but I would not use it as a foundation. It is super cakey and sticky. Numerous methods were used to apply this but it came out looking horrible every time. Even though it is horrible as a foundation, it is a great concealer.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/15/2014 5:52:00 PM More reviews by brittneyleigh

I went for this foundation after sampling every single foundation I was interested in at Ulta, Nordstrom, and Sephora.

My goal was to find something that provided full coverage for hyper pigmentation, that was good on combo skin, that would last all day, that I only needed one layer of, and that I didn't have to worry about breakouts with.

When I gave this list of requirements to the Sephora assistant, she waltzed right on over to this foundation as if she knew this was exactly what I asked for. She was totally right. This stuff checked off on all my requirements, and continued to impress me everyday for 3 months. I also do attribute some of my excitement for my foundation routine to my amazing precision brush by Bare Minerals.

Anyway, I have about 10% of the bottle left, and for the last month and a half, I have been reaching for my Naked foundation more often because this stuff just bothers me now. Having combo skin, this stuff has began to cling to dry spots, appear cakey, has started settling into under eye creases (yuck), and slide off after a few hours due to oil. This also happened with Naked (hmmm). It has certainly lost its edge with me which is a bummer, because I really tried every single product (grueling) I was interested in after researching for a large amount of time on top of that.

Luckily, I remember my runners up! Your Skin But Better CC Cream by IT Cosmetics, and Shiseido UV Protective Liquid Foundation. These two provided a long wearing and full coverage finish just like Lock it, but also provided a fresh and dewy look that matte lovers, like the lovers of Lock it, tend to shy away from.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/11/2014 4:07:00 PM More reviews by Morganna777

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Other

This is definately an interesting foundation however none the colors are not right for me. For reference I match CD 021 linen very well. I tried light 48 which was too cool and I am between light 45 and med 53, I would have to mix the 2 to get my shade which ultimately is too much of a bother. This foundation covers really well and does last. look pretty natural too. It is very thick and dies fast but the coverage is without a doubt full. Some have compared this to colorstay but this one is a lot better actually. This foundation is very good to mix with others, even a small amount of this mixed with my other foundations makes it more long wearing and fuller coverage and for that I like it. If any of her colors were a match I would be using it.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2014 8:40:00 PM More reviews by CallieR

I have this in #44, and honestly, if this ever became discontinued I would cry. It's my HG foundation. I have very light skin but it's incredibly red on my cheeks and nose. This covers all that pretty well and even though I have combo/dry skin, it doesn't dry my face out. When put on moisturized skin, the finish is flawless and surprisingly natural. I can wear this foundation all months of the year, too. And a little goes a looong way. I will use this foundation until it's discontinued (hopefully never!)

rated 4 of 5 on 10/6/2014 5:28:00 AM More reviews by sasquo

I had high hopes for this foundation. I like to wear full coverage foundation and have every foundation known to man(mac, clinique, estee lauder, tarte, becca, jane iredale...etc etc....). I wanted to love this foundation i really did. I found the consistency good and what i was hoping for, application was fine, i like to use my fingers to apply foundation, also tried with a buffing blush and it looked good. My issue was the staying power, by the end of the day it had streaks on my skin. Ive read someone else suffering this. I tried with different prmiers and applications and with and without setting powder. No change. This foundation was very expensive as i had to purchase from australia (its not available here) so cost me $70. I wouldnt repurchase and so am still searching for my HG foundation. For reference i purchased light 44 am usually mac nw20. I did find the colour oxidised throughout the day too.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2014 4:31:00 PM More reviews by RomanXI

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Skin: Normal, no oil, no dryness, never get spots.

Well, I think I finally found my holy grail product after 5 years of searching for a perfect foundation! Tried everything, MAC, Estee Lauder, Laura Mercier, but Kat Von D wins!
I have light freckles all over my face and I needed a full coverage foundation to cover them and no foundation was ever pigmented enough, they would claim medium buildable or full but they never were.
This is an ACTUAL full coverage foundation.
This cover my freckles 100%, and my dark under eye circles - which no product concealer or foundation has ever done, GOODBYE concealers!

I have light 46 - which is definitely pink undertones, I have NC20 skin and this is perfect.
anyone from NC-15-25 could pull this off.
It looks scary colour in the bottle but once you squirt some out it is definitely a lighter shade.

Smell - paint like colorstay but i actually love that smell.

Finish - I definitely wouldn't call this a matte foundation by any means, it is definitely satin. FLAWLESS coverage, makes my 18 year old skin look about 12 years old, it is just so gorgeous. Not cakey in the slightest with 2 layers on. The only thing it does do it emphasise laugh lines, thats it but with some primer that shouldn't be a problem.

1 layer would be a medium to full
2 layers is definitely full.

TIP!!!! work with this foundation is extremely thin layers, or else it will look ruddy.

Those people saying this foundation would emphasise dry patches confuse me, if anything this foundation was moisturising on my normal skin? So if you have dry skin, don't hesitate!

Managed to put this foundation on beautifully with a brush and my fingers and a beauty blender - BUT like others say it does dry fast so you can spot it on and then come back to it because it will be difficult to work with. Squirt some on your hand and then work from there.

I can tell already this is long wearing. Photographs gorgeously. Transfer resistant? Definitely not.
Overall my perfect foundation, will never ever ever look anywhere else.
I will just buy lighter shades for winter and darker shades for summer.
HG!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2014 1:21:00 PM More reviews by kris11842

I have really sensitive skin as to breaking out often. I tried many liquid foundations, drug store ones, even Lancôme and MAC (I heard MAC is supposed to be good, it left my face VERY cakey, I only use their powder). So I got tired of trying all these stuff and I was on this review website and so I decided to go to Sephora and purchase it, might I add, it took me no more than 10 seconds to walk up to the beauty advisor and she swatched the color on me and it was a perfect match, my color is a Light 44. It was $37 with taxes, let me be the one to say it was WORTH the $37 I spent. It's full coverage and very light weight and leaves my skin looking airbrushed and smooth, it seriously looks like I have an airbrush effect on my face. A little goes a VERY long way with this foundation, i don't even need a dime size for my WHOLE FACE! with the previous makeup I used I would have to put so much for it to show or come out. I really LOVE this foundation and this is the one i will continue to use and I will never purchase any other foundation ever again. A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY... You don't even need that much this one will probably last me 6 months or more, no joke. This is by far the BEST liquid foundation I've ever used and I'm so happy i tried it. Ladies, if you are having trouble with full coverage light weight foundation and you want the best one, this is the one to go with 100% the best

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2014 8:55:00 PM More reviews by Lefrak

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I absolutely LOVE this foundation. I have searched high and low and have spent hundreds of dollars trying to find a good foundation and this is it. I am a brown skin black woman, I was matched to this foundation when I visited Sephora, my color is deep 74. I apply it in the morning and set it with Ben Nye Camel setting powder and that is it. It matches perfectly and I love the way it looks and wears. Thank you Kat Von D!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/17/2014 8:09:00 PM More reviews by oodles12

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

this stuff does not budge. covers EVERYTHING. but the foundations for deep skin tones are SOOOO off! they gave way to much red in them and don't match anyone. horrendous. literally mahogany. if it were actually brown and matched a REAL black person's complexion the product would be great. It's like the creators have never seen a dark skinned person before because the colors for deep skin tones are ridiculous. a little goes a LONG way especially with a brush. beauty blender gives a more natural finish. never broke me out

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2014 4:02:00 PM More reviews by STACEYFFF

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I just want to quickly add another positive review of this wonderful foundation!!!

....I don't think I have anything original to add to all the through reviews- suffice to say it's great for my oily, acne-prone skin. IT'S LOVE.