April 19, 2014 | 1674 users online

Liquid - Kat Von D - Lock-It

rated 4 of 5 on 4/6/2014 8:14:00 PM More reviews by GreekGodess

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Its a greaat foundation, thick and full full coverage, I am a light medium , and I took shade 48 as 52 would be a tad too dark and more yellow, maybe if i have a tan, I wear Urban Decay in Shade 4, or Sephora foundation in shade 20 Y. Mac C3. You have too blend this out with a beauty blender, its thick and if you use a Sigma foundation brush i find it leaves it too thick,, A little goes a long way,,, It covers super well, but i dont need that kind of coverage, i just wanted it cause i have obsessions with foundations.... But its a great buy and the coverage is awesome, make sure you have a beauty blender to blend this out, Kat Von D has a great line, I hve a few products and i love them all....

rated 2 of 5 on 4/5/2014 5:52:00 PM More reviews by gdallar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

PROS:
-good coverage
-doesn't break me out
-good shade selection

CONS:
-holy mother of God it's thick
-cakey. I don't know how this could look anything close to natural
-pricey
-difficult to apply, because of its thickness

Overall, I do not recommend this product. I thought it would be HG because of my acne and scars, but it is simply not worth the disgusting look it gives my skin after application. Sorry, Kat:/

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/3/2014 10:35:00 AM More reviews by lizzchan12

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

If you have combination/oily, problem skin this foundation most likely will work well for you. I have combination skin that can get oily during the humid summer, as well as blemish scarring and occasional breakouts. This foundation definitely blurs my skin's imperfections and gives me a polished look.
I like this product in the sense that it certainly does live up to its claims. It keeps skin matte, has even, full coverage, and stays in place as long as you wear it. The packaging is also very convenient and sturdy, which I love because a lot of foundations are so difficult to handle and very messy. For me personally, however, this foundation is a little too full coverage. Even though I have problem skin, I still prefer foundations with medium or medium-full coverage at most. There is nothing wrong with this foundation, I just prefer a little lighter coverage.
The only complaint I have about this product is it dries on skin so quickly and you must have a very good beauty tool to use this foundation. When using this foundation,I would recommend placing a small amount of product on your beauty tool and covering your face in sections, instead of doing all the face at one time because this foundation will set and dry quickly.
In addition, for those of you with dry skin or skin with any dry areas, beware if using this product because it is definitely a matte, full coverage foundation, so any dryness will be accentuated. In all, this is a good product that provides what it promises, and I would recommend this to anyone looking for a nice full coverage, shine control foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2014 12:06:00 PM More reviews by amypenner

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I LOVE this foundation!! My old HG was EL double wear, which is also fantastic, but if you have any red marks from acne or scars, this foundation covers much better than DW.

The consistency is thick, so you have to spread it quickly and make sure to blend really well. I alternate between using a sponge, and my clinique foundation brush.

Even though I could not find my exact match, I purchased two, and then mix it myself. I have come to the conclusion that, if a foundation line has only a handful of colours, the chance you will find an exact match is very small, so if you can purchase two and mix them, you will find you get such better results!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2014 1:53:00 PM More reviews by stellar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This foundation is seriously amazing. I have tried so many different long-wearing foundations and have found a few that I like well enough, but there was always something a little "off" with them. ColorStay: Looked great but didn't give me full coverage and didn't last as long as the others. ColorStay Whipped: Looked beautiful but dried me out a little due to the salicylic acid in it, didn't last as long as even the regular CS. ELDW: Made my skin a little itchy, gave me bumps on my cheeks and forehead and sometimes small pimples on my chin if I wore it too many days in a row, also dried me out. MAC ProLongwear: Lightest shade was too dark, beautiful finish but broke me out on my chin badly, smell was pretty terrible. Smashbox 15 Hour Foundation: Probably my previous favorite. Long lasting, yet didn't dry my skin out, beautiful finish and coverage, no irritation or breakouts, no scent.

Kat Von D Lock-It foundation is truly a full coverage foundation. It *completely* covers my moderate under eye circles AND the redness around my nose, which is no small feat. I *do not need concealer* when I use this foundation. None. Nor do I need a setting powder. It applies easily and quickly (I use the Sonia Kashuk flat top brush) and actually looks *natural*. I'm always stunned at how beautiful it looks on my skin. It makes my face look brighter and younger. I get quite a few compliments when I wear it! It definitely lasts all day for me and holds my blush in place all day as well. I'm a MAC NC15/NARS Gobi and I wear shade 44 in this foundation. It states that it's for beige undertones and I'm definitely more neutral/warm than beige but it matches perfectly. I understand there was an even lighter shade previously but apparently they discontinued it? That's a shame... It's so hard for ultra pale people to find a good foundation match. This does not break me out or make me itch.

This foundation does have a noticeable clay smell when I first apply but it dissipates quickly. The bottle looks awesome (as do all Kat Von D products) and the packaging overall is wonderful. Take note though - when you first buy this product it comes with a little plastic pump stopper or plug in it. Save that! I meant to, but bought this while out of town and ended up losing it. I wish I had it now. It makes carrying it around for travel much easier, and would be great to replace even after each use at home. My only complaint about this foundation is that it *can* dry me out a little if I wear it a lot of consecutive days. (I don't wear long wearing, full coverage foundations every day.) I've been battling a terrible case of dry skin since fall though, so I really can't fault the product for that. And what little it does dry me out is nothing compared to what some of the others do. I just make sure I wear a rich moisturizer underneath. Oh, one more thing - it also doesn't photograph well at all. I'm pale enough as it is but I look about five shades paler in pictures when the flash was used. So...not great for photography. Also does not contain SPF.

I will definitely repurchase!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/30/2014 11:50:00 PM More reviews by Truong

I bought this on a whim because there were so many good reviews on it. I was a bit disappointed. I realize that it IS a heavy duty foundation, but it goes on so cake-y. I need to top it off with a powder, but overall it is alright.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2014 1:06:00 AM More reviews by amswtr

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I wanted to give an honest review of this product because foundations are important to be brutally honest with. I have been using this product for a few months now. First off, I have pale skin with a lot of redness. I'm 36 and there are some lines around my eyes. I wanted a full coverage foundation that wouldn't settle into my fine lines. I was using Diorskin foundation for a year and I loved it but I went through it like water and that stuff is $50 a bottle so I wanted a more affordable alternative. The Kat Von D foundation is wonderful. I love that it is full coverage. I use one pump and it will cover my entire face. I also love that there is a big color selection, especially for us pale women. I ended up getting the 2nd to lightest color, Light 044. It covered all my redness but gave a nice natural look to the skin. It was not cakey on me. I believe good skin prep is key to any foundation application. I wash my face, then I apply argan face oil, then moisturizer, then a primer to my skin. I have very dry skin and I need to do this in order to get a nice finish with any foundation. I apply my foundation with a beauty blender sponge. I pat into my skin. I never swipe it on. It gives a better coverage and finish. Then I use a setting powder. I work 12 hour shifts and this makeup will last 12+ hours. I love the bottle too because the pump works from the bottom up, ensuring you get all the product. If you are looking for a heavy coverage foundation then I would recommend this.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2014 8:39:00 PM More reviews by Jasslovesmakeuo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ok so this makeup is not for everyone. This is for those who want FULL COVERAGE. Those who say it looks cakey May not be applying it properly. I'm a makeup consultant and I like to use it in those who may have redness, scars, dark spots basically anything that needs to be covered. It works especially well with those who have oily skin. It leaves a matte finish. I recommend start off with a little it's always easier to apply more than to remove excess product. Also if you have a beauty blender it works amazingly well!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2014 2:26:00 AM More reviews by Paperfrost

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I was looking for a foundation for a while before finding this one which met my criteria. It is cruelty free and vegan. Also, the shade I got (light 45) had yellow undertones which ultimately was the deal breaker since nearly every other pale shade of liquid foundation I found which met my criteria was created for people with pink undertones.

It provides very heavy coverage. I have a brown freckle on my cheek and I can build this product up to completely cover it if I want (though a single layer really only makes it about half as visible.)

It really does last me all day without any problems. It doesn't move and doesn't make me break out, which is fantastic.

The packaging is nice, but it's very stylized to sort of a "dark/edgy-chic" style which can be a turn-off sometimes, but hey, it's named after a tattoo artist so I guess that's to be expected.

You can clearly see how much product you have left since it practically operates as a push pop. On one hand it's convenient, on the other hand, it's ultimately not very attractive in my opinion.

I do have some issues with the company, however, as I found their (now recalled) lipstick named "Celebutard" (as in "celebrity retard") in very poor taste. Another mishap like that will make me reconsider whether this is the sort of company I choose to support.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2014 2:31:00 PM More reviews by Gigi87

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really like this foundation because its covers my redness and imperfections. I exfoliate and make sure to remove everything every night since I have very sensitive skin and acne prone. I use the Simple light moisturizer and urban decays primer under this foundation just because my foundations tend to smear and run. Plus I have combination skin, very DRY cheeks and oily t zone. I took off a lippie because the make up makes my skin look cracked in my cheeks. (its drying me out) so now I make sure to deep moisturize with organic olive oil in that area the night before and it seems to be helping. I believe this foundation will work perfect for people with oily skin. Btw, I use the light 48.