Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation

3.9

Water, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, Isononyl Isononanoate, Silica Dimethicone Silylate, Dimer Dilinoleyl Dimer Dilinoleate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Glycerin, Isododecane, Sodium Chloride, Methicone, Glyceryl Caprylate, Calcium Carbonate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Trihydroxystearin, Potassium Sorbate, Methylpropanediol, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Disodium Edta, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone. May Contain (+/-):CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77492 (Iron Oxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxide), CI 77499 (Iron Oxide).

on 2/8/2015 11:15:00 PM

I have sensitive, oily, dehydrated skin. I'm currently an NC25; asian, warm undertone. I prefer light coverage foundations for everyday use. Then I decided I should go for a medium-full coverage foundation for when I go out. I've used other foundations of the type before such as EL Double Wear, LM Silk Creme, etc. but they either broke me out or couldn't work with my oily face.

Then I bought the Lock-It foundation and it's amazing. It doesn't break me out. Ngl, when I come home from a night out, I get lazy and don't remove my makeup. When I wake up the next morning, my foundation still looks really good.

I was originally going to purchase Medium 52 but it was really yellow and a tad bit dark. It could probably be my summer foundation. So I was matched with Light 48, which was a little gray and pale for my skin tone. I ended up purchasing both colors to mix them. The mix matches my skin perfectly.

I've tried a couple of ways to apply it. Fingers and brushes usually leave a pretty cakey finish no matter how much I try to buff it in; within a few hours, the foundation starts to separate and look like a mess. I found that the beauty blender gives the best, as-natural-as-possible application. The first thin layer is medium coverage. For full coverage, you just need a second thin layer. It covers hyperpigmentation scars really well, I never need to use concealer. One full pump is enough for the entire face.

I start off with a clean face and moisturize before I spray my face with Urban Decay's All Nighter Spray. Then I prime with Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer. I use my beauty blender to apply the Lock-It foundation. Set it with Nar's Light Reflecting Pressed Setting Powder. Contour, highlight, blush (all powder), and then another couple of sprays of UD All Nighter. Then I'm good for the rest of the night. It. Does. Not. Budge. I only need to blot my nose area once throughout the night.

The packaging is nice. It's not messy. Pretty straight-foward pump with a small plastic stopper. I will definitely repurchase when I run out, which won't be soon. You really don't need much product. Considering that and how well it holds up, the price ain't too bad. I've tried other high end brands that were way more expensive and ended up really, really disappointed. This foundation is solid.

on 2/5/2015 5:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

If your not looking for full coverage don't get this foundation, but if you are you're in luck my friends :) This works great with people with acne it covers it so well. I hardly use concealer with it, because I don't want a caked look to my face. I don't use this everyday, because I want to save it for days when I want to look extra nice. The lightest shade is still to dark for my skin, so as I said before in my other reviews, just put a light powder over your foundation and it should lighten it up a bit :)

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS FOUNDATION!!

I purchased this foundation once in desperation during a bad breakout a few months ago because it is maximum coverage and the price didn't break the bank. After using it once, I was SHOCKED at how amazing it was. I am very picky with foundations. I have fair skin that is very dry in the winter, so it is hard for me to find a foundation that matches my skin color AND doesn't make me look flakey or cakey. This foundation, however, made me look flawless, even during a bad breakout!

I receive numerous compliments on my complexion every time I wear it. The only negative to this foundation is that it is very thick and sometimes hard to apply. I have found that using a dot on each section of my face (each cheek, chin, and forehead) and spreading it with my fingers works better than a brush or a sponge. It spreads wonderfully, so a little goes a long way. Once it's on, it literally does just as the name says.... It's ''locked'' for the day.

Overall, I give this product 5 stars. It is definetly not for someone who likes a light foundation or sheer coverage, but if you are looking for a full coverage foundation that lasts all day and doesn't feel heavy on your face, you must try this!

on 1/31/2015 8:47:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This has to be the most disappointing product I've bought lately. I had such HIGH hopes being as every picture I ever see with someone wearing it...has them looking smooth and flawless like a China doll. :/
I have pretty normal skin....kinda large pores....and omgosh. ...it settled in and accentuated every poor SO BADLY!
Dx <
I even tried using a primer underneath. ...nope. And I don't know what the deal is with it, but it would move around and cake up in places ...like literally slide on my face and leave patchy spots. I've tried it for a month now...a million different ways.... and same thing...just does not like my skin aparently. O_o
And putting powder on top of the shiny places...a big no no. Caked up and settled in what lines I do have. :/
I'm so sad about this...really. I wanted it to be the miracle product I've heard it to be. I love the packaging! and I loved that it's FULL coverage and thick...really hides any flaws on your face and skin....but after about 45 mins, it oxidizes and turns dark...and starts to do the separation thing, as well as made my face very oily. I'm gonna say....if you're over 40 with any lines or pore issues. ..don't waste your money. I will not be purchasing again. sticking with my Urban Decay Naked foundation.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I honestly don't know how people get this to work and look good or how this can be someones favorite. I am no makeup amateur and can not make this look good on me to save my life. I have very oily skin, but not much acne and mainly want to cover dark spots. Somehow this makes every small wrinkle and pore magnified and then when my skin gets oily after maybe an hour the foundation slides around and just looks awful. I really don't think i am using too much, 1/2 pump. It makes dry skin stick out that i didn't even know i had despite exfoliating and moisturizing. Its too bad it didn't work out because the color matched me perfectly and the packaging looks amazing.

on 1/24/2015 12:01:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine

I am literally in love with this foundation! This is one of two foundations that I always go for for everyday use.
This is perfect for when I have breakouts that are very red and my other foudation a would not cover. I don't even need to have a concealer with this foundation as it very thick and full coverage!
It did take me a few tries to be able to apply it without making it look cakey or blotchy, but I've now found my prefect way.
I have normal-dry skin with an oily forehead, so I use an oil free moisturiser for my head, and a thick moisturiser for the rest of my face and it works very well.

I have it 4 stars because it didn't control the oil on my head, and came off after a few hours only on my head, and the rest of my face was completely matte. Even using my rimmel stay matte powder didn't completely keep my oil at bay.

Saying this, it gives me a completely flawless finish (several people have told me my skin looks like a porcelain doll) and completely covers all of my acne and redness.
I love it :)

on 1/22/2015 8:54:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

About my skin: oily, fair (neutral leaning yellow), not sensitive, not very acne prone. My MAC shade is NC15. Lots of broken capillaries on my cheeks and overall blotchy redness. Medium/large pores on my nose towards my cheeks. I got the shade Light 45 in this. I'd say it's neutral with some yellow undertones, so if your more neutral light, don't let the "yellow undertones" description throw you off. I've not had any oxidation wearing this.

When they say this foundation is full coverage, they mean full coverage. I do not need a concealer with this at all. BUT it does not look cakey or fake, just as long as you don't wear too much. 1 pump is enough for your *entire* face. It is extremely pigmented. Having said that you need to get matched to your shade as close as possible.

Even though it's full coverage, I don't feel it on my skin at all. It doesn't look or feel like a mask. When I touch my skin I don't feel it on my skin. I've noticed no color transfer. The finish is more a satin than a full on matte.

The only issue I have with it, it doesn't control oil as well as I thought it would. Revlon Colorstay Whipped/regular did a much better job with oil control. Doing the "Goss method", I didn't have to blot with Colorstay, but I do have to blot/re-powder with KVD. But Colorstay didn't cover up my broken capillaries as much as I wanted, at all. They were still very visable and I'd have to use a green concealer, then regular concealer, THEN foundation to cover it all up. So that is the tradeoff. Lock-It, is a one coat covers all at once.

So if your oily skin, don't expect this to provide excellent oil control. It also has a tendency to sink into my pores, which Colorstay doesn't. This is the only reason I gave it 4 lippies instead of 5. It does look like makeup on your skin. People will say "your foundation looks great", but not "your skin looks goid." That doesn't mean it looks bad, just that it's not going to look like natural skin.

It's a thick foundation, but it's surprisingly easy to work with. I do one section at a time though because it's fairly fast drying (which I like). I've applied it with both a beauty blender and a stippling brush. I think both do a good job - the BB might sheer it out a bit more? You can actually blend this in pretty good with your fingers because it spreads easily and then go over it with a damp BB to smooth it out more if you need too.

Would I re-buy this? Yes. I love the coverage and the feel of this foundation! I've never had a foundation provide this much awesome coverage! I don't wear it everyday, just for days I need/want a full coverage. Some days I'll use it just on my cheeks (broken capillaries are very hard to cover, even with concealer), and then apply my regular foundation around that.

I think the price is on point. You use literally 1 pump and it does last all day (since blotting papers don't remove any of the makeup). So I can see this bottle lasting a long time and I wear this about 5-7 days a week.

Foundation is one of the makeup items I don't mind paying for because if your foundation looks bad, everything else looks bad.

Edit: I used this today with my Urban Decay De-slick mattifying powder and this foundation stayed 100% oil free all day! Got up at 5am and it's now almost 7pm and it's still going strong :)

When I still want good coverage but not FULL coverage, I'll mix 1/2 of each colorstay whipped and lock it and it looks great.

on 1/19/2015 10:18:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

I love this foundation because it makes your skin looks flawless and it covers a lot without making your face look caked up.

With that being said, I think the Revlon Colorstay does a very similar job so if you can't afford the Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation try the Revlon Colorstay.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I have this foundation in the shade Light 48, which is a perfect match. This foundation is very high coverage and a little bit goes a LONG way.
APPLICATION:
I only apply this with a beautyblender. The formula is so incredibly thick that I can't even imagine trying to blend it out with my fingers or with a brush.
LONGEVITY/OIL CONTROL:
I've worn this foundation for at least 12-15 hrs (I work 12 hr shifts) and can say that as far as oil control, I have to blot at least once through my shift and/or powder. As for the lasting power, it does fade a tiny bit in my most oily areas (sides of the nose and between brows), but nothing terrible.
PACKAGING/PRICE/FINISH
This comes in a pump that pushes the product up from the bottom, making it very hygienic. Also the black tattoo motif = totally dig it.
This foundation is $34, which I actually find to be a reasonable price, as the foundation will last you forever.
This dries down to a matte finish, which I love because I'm so oily, but it only lasts about 5-6 hrs, at which point I have to take care of business.
OVERALL:
I like using this foundation when I have to go to an event, only because it is so high coverage and definitely looks like you have foundation on. Overapplying this foundation = serious cake-face (for serious - been there, done that).

I was a Max Factor pan stick med. beige 129 girl for 23 years & received daily compliments on how beautiful my skin/face was. When Max left the US market , I switched to Mac (less compliments & was not not quite right for me ) Now.....I think Kat Von D is going to bring me back to beautiful with her new foundation. It is amazing , stays on all day ( and I am the nurse that looks like "Barbie" wearing surgical mask at times and need extreme wear for my day) I also have a skin pigment condition that this covers perfectly on my neck. Please, everybody go buy this so she will keep making it for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Video Reviews & Tutorials