Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation

3.9

Water, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, Isononyl Isononanoate, Silica Dimethicone Silylate, Dimer Dilinoleyl Dimer Dilinoleate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Glycerin, Isododecane, Sodium Chloride, Methicone, Glyceryl Caprylate, Calcium Carbonate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Trihydroxystearin, Potassium Sorbate, Methylpropanediol, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Disodium Edta, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone. May Contain (+/-):CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77492 (Iron Oxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxide), CI 77499 (Iron Oxide).

on 7/14/2015 3:02:00 AM

I have a love/hate relationship with this foundation. I think it takes the right type of skin to wear it. Mine is a tad too dry so it really can accentuate flaky spots. It's very thick so I apply it with a beauty blender to thin it out. I've gotta say, it's definitely the most covering foundation I've tried. A little goes a long way so it'll last you a long time. Pros: good amount of product, easy to color match for pale skin, can double as a concealer Cons: kind of seperates on the skin after a few hours and can look dry, can look thick, not great for dry skin if you're looking for a very covering foundation and you're not worried about looking flaky or cakey, I'd try it out. maybe the right primer makes a better difference.

on 7/13/2015 3:31:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

Frankly, I'm irritated by usage of the term "holy grail"... but I cannot contain myself. This is my HG foundation. Think of Michelangelo's "The Creation of Adam", but with you, and God is handing you this foundation; my reaction upon experiencing thi s product.

The packaging is beautiful and comes with a small plastic cap to keep product from coagulating in the nozzle.

This creamy foundation goes on with a satin shine. It is "buildable," assuming you'd need to build it considering that it's quite opaque within itself (I personally have only needed one small pump to do the job) and truthfully, you probably won't need concealer. Spreads easily and doesn't dry too fast. Workable. I have a very oily face, and this product has not let me down: it doesn't run, blot, or gather. Just rests on my content, pale lady mug.

The endurance is substantial. I've attached a pic showing it through 2 hours wear, to 8 hours wear, and there is essentially no difference, except needing to blot for oil once or twice. This was without primer and my pores and lines were not emphasized at any time. (The marks on my nose are from my glasses.)

Suggestions for those considering: freshly cleanse your face before applying, and if you lean toward dryer skin, lightly moisturize. Do not slop on like you're painting or with your fingers: stipple-buff it onto your skin. You cannot use oil pastels like crayons and expect a masterpiece. I prefer to set it with powder. Remember, the coverage is powerful, so choose how you finish depending on what look you want. You will definitely have a clean airbrushed look if you use matte powder.

*Update: Aug. 4th, 2015:

After having used this foundation for around a month, I still hold to all my previous opinions. But a few new notes:
*Does not control very oily skin. Ultimately refuses to stay on my nose. This foundation is better for combo/slightly oily/normal skin.
*Recently I had a very good cry and this stuff streaked. Could it have been because my finishing powder? Not sure.

So yes. Still fantastic, but avoid if very oily.

on 7/9/2015 4:19:00 PM

This foundation!! when I'm having a bad skin week or when I'm too lazy to put on concealer this is my go-to foundation. It has a medium to full coverage....just make sure to use a damp beauty blender when applying and you will be good to go. i love this foundation and its great for the price.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

If you're looking for true-blue heavy duty coverage, then you have found it. This stuff does NOT screw around when it comes to coverage. It will hide anything and everything. Now, some people will say they want full coverage and then sigh and moan about how their face looks like a mask, or they hate how heavy it feels. I've got two things to say to that. 1. Make ABSOLUTELY SURE you're color matched. There won't be any skin showing through to save you with this stuff so you need to take home a few samples, try them all out in different lighting, and decide then. 2. If you can't handle feeling like something is on you're face, then you probably can't handle full coverage. I've been a full coverage junkie since I started wearing makeup in highschool, so to me the feeling is natural. I actually feel weird not having something on my face. This is a truly incredible product. Long wearing, complete coverage, matte finish, and it will last you FOREVER; but I would definitely take a sample home and try it over the course of a week before committing. Especially since the heavy formula makes some people break out (not me, but I see why it could). It's too pricey to trust to an impulse buy.

on 7/6/2015 6:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I bloody love this stuff! I have oily skin with a few spots and blemishes and this foundation covered everything. EVERYTHING. I used less than one pump on my entire face and I swear to god everything looked flawless. I understand how some people may find it hard to blend but I personally did not have this issue myself. I simply cleansed and moisturised my face then spritzed the Mac fix+ spray 3 times onto my face and let it soak in. I then used a real techniques face brush and dabbed that lightly into the pump of foundation and buffed/patted it into a section of my face at a time. I have never had a foundation like this! It is so highly pigmented and the colour match (light 46) is amazing. It does not look or feel cakey either. It doesn't really have a smell and is rather smooth in texture. I have bought two bottles of this simply because I am THAT in love. I didn't even need to conceal anything including dark circles which is fantastic! If you love full coverage this is the foundation for you.

on 7/3/2015 12:14:00 PM

Not impressed at all!! I have put this on with my fingers, blending sponge, brush and it still looks dry and flat. I have a couple of small scars on my face and it did not really cover them that well. I prefer a foundation to give my skin a dewy glow which this did not do. I have dry skin and this just made it feel even more dry. It may be okay for people with oily skins but its too dry for me. On the plus side it did last well but Its way too expensive for what it is.

on 7/3/2015 9:44:00 AM

This foundation is amazing for living up to its claims. It is EXTREMELY full coverage. I wouldn't suggest purchasing this if you are expecting any less. I love this foundation for special occasions (prom...etc) but don't have much use for it otherwise. This foundation is also great for mixing with moisturizer, BB cream, etc to add more coverage or sheer it out. It is also extremely long-wearing. I wouldn't repurchase this solely for the fact that I don't need nor do I want to wear full coverage foundations, but I may sell this on MUE in the future.

on 6/29/2015 7:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have extremely pale, oily skin. I also have acne scars.. this foundation did cover the acne scars but it feels like a paste that hardens. not the biggest fan, but if I need extreme coverage I use this.

The shade that lady at sephora recommended me was light 44 (WAY TO DARK FOR ME)
I look like I have a bad spray tan only on my face.

If you need heavy coverage than I recommend this foundation, but make sure you put this on your skin in store before you purchase.

on 6/29/2015 3:51:00 PM

This product has amazing coverage but I have very oily skin and EVEN with a good setting powder ( I use NYX ) it doesn't stay pretty and set for long on me. If you're looking for great coverage, this is for you. It is highly pigmented. If it had more staying power (as it claims to be 24 hour makeup) then I would've given it a better rating.
The price isn't too steep and it's overall a good product. But I think I will stick to my MAC Pro Long wear.

This is a really full coverage matte foundation, and I mean REALLY full coverage. Sometimes I forget I have acne marks or freckles when I wear this foundation. I brought it for $80NZD off of Ebay, as Kat Von D isn't exactly a common brand here in New Zealand. When applied with a beauty blender or flat top face brush it doesn't feel heavy or cakey. The first time I applied this foundation I used my fingers and hated the result but have since perfected my technique. Great foundation if you can handle the obvious make up look.

Video Reviews & Tutorials