Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation

3.8

Water, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, Isononyl Isononanoate, Silica Dimethicone Silylate, Dimer Dilinoleyl Dimer Dilinoleate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Glycerin, Isododecane, Sodium Chloride, Methicone, Glyceryl Caprylate, Calcium Carbonate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Trihydroxystearin, Potassium Sorbate, Methylpropanediol, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Disodium Edta, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone. May Contain (+/-):CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77492 (Iron Oxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxide), CI 77499 (Iron Oxide).

The Kat Von D Lock-It foundation is Amazing!! My color is light 46 and I bought it for $35 at Sephora. This foundation is my HG foundation. I like it when my foundation is a little more on the thicker side for consistency and this foundation is just right. It doesn't feel cakey and it goes on very smooth and looks almost airbrushed. This product is buildable but honestly one pump is enough to cover my whole face and then I take my beauty blender over it to smooth things out a little more to my liking. If you're one to be very very adventurous when it comes to using makeup I suggest this foundation it's a must!

My favorite foundation! I like to use this when I'm on vacation because it really stays on my face, blurs out my imperfections, hides my blemishes and matches my skin tone! It doesn't break me out either which is a make or break for me if an item works.

I have loved this foundation for a while now, and compared to other high end foundations the price is not bad at all. It is a full coverage foundation with a thick formula that dries fast, so I always use a primer and beauty blender to apply. Lost one lippie because if you arent careful it can settle into fine lines if you put too much of the product on.

Pros:
-Easy to find a color match for my pale olive skin
-FULL coverage including darker acne scars
-sturdy packaging (dropped it a few times on my wood floor, whoops)

Cons:
-could make you breakout
-requires specific application technique

I've been using this foundation for a couple of months so this review ain't skewed by a short trial period. Lemme break it down for you, darlings.

I want to love this foundation. I want to crown this as my HG foundation and end my Eternal Quest. But I can't because it... BREAKS..ME..OUT. First of all, I have combination skin and suffer from the occasional monthly hormonal pimple but NOTHING like the random acne that reared its pesky demonic head after using this foundation. Despite this, I still recommend this foundation. Why? Because it truly is full coverage in a beautiful range of skin tones. Get a sample and see if it makes you break out. If it doesn't, GOOD FOR YOU. I'm a little jealous.

Okay, so I'm the type of girl who is .. Efficient with her beauty routine. I'm a working college student and I roll out of bed begrudgingly in the morning. That said, this foundation requires more effort and attention than I can afford. Sorry my sweet, sweet summer child. But it's true- This foundation dries VERY quickly, can PILL very easily over the wrong products, and once it dries it DOESN'T budge and if you mess up you'll have to get out that cottonball-soaked-with-toner and re-do your skin makeup. I ain't got time for that! I stayed up all night procrastinating/writing a serious dissertation!

If you have the time, and patience, to understand the texture and ways of this product, then may the force be with you- because, if utilized correctly, can give you flawless lookin' skin. I save this badboy for special occasions with sexy lighting- like dinner dates with a handsome man (or woman) (or just go treat yoself, alone) (you deserve it).

What I Found that Works for Me:
1. I apply my daily sunscreen.
2. I apply Korres' mattifying primer. (this has WITCH HAZEL which offsets breakouts for me)
3. While these two products are still moist, I tap a lil bit of foundation into trouble areas with my fingers or a damp beauty blender. Don't blend, blur, smudge- it will pill and angels will cry. Simply tap/push the product gently into your skin. I found makeup brushes make this foundation look too streaky. Work one spot at a time.
4. I let the foundation set (usually I do my lips or add a hint of cream blush while I wait)
5. DON'T put powder over this foundation before it sets! The powder will stick to the wet foundation spots... Like.. my cat's fur on my black skinny jeans. Hence, a "patchy" look.
6. If you want a more natural look, don't cover your entire face with this. Just the "problem" areas, homie. Throw in some dewy highlighters/light-reflecting finishing powders if you want to offset any foundation flatness/unnaturalness.
7. If I apply this hard-core over MOST of my face (think, super fancy dinner date with super handsome man & Old Hollywood glamour), I have to add subtle blush/highlight/contouring OR ELSE natural depth of your face will be erased. This is serious FULL COVERAGE. Your skin will look ..weirdly flat + one-tone like a kabuki mask unless you add some depth back to your lovely visage. If the word contouring turns you off, just add some creme blush or creme bronzer on those beautiful cheeks of yours. I find creamy blush/bronzers add a more natural look to full-coverage foundations versus powder blushes/bronzers, which sit atop skin awkwardly and GOD FORBID cakeface.

VERY IMPORTANT: Since this is long-wearing, full-coverage foundation, DON'T simply wash your face at night then head to bed. That's like showering with your clothes on. First, wash off this heavy-duty foundation with a gentle cleanser like Cetaphil. Then, wash your face (yup, wash your face TWICE- after you remove that foundation cloak and your pores have experienced Shawshank Redemption) with your normal cleanser (since I'm acne-prone-ish I use a nice foaming cleanser meant for combination/oily skin). Sometimes, if I've been drinking and expect bad things of my skin, I exfoliate this foundation off, rinse, then wash my face with my normal cleanser. Then, I apply a great toner that restores the natural pH of my skin so it won't go beserk.

If your skin is naturally dry, try using a gel-oil emulsifying cleanser to remove a full face of makeup first, then a moisturizing water-based cleanser. Asian skin-care makes great oil cleansers- just avoid those with bad mean ingredients like mineral oil. Oil attracts oil so after a long greasy fun day livin life, cleansing oils remove and break down heavier oils/ingredients in your makeup that a normal, non-oil face wash would not. After an oil-based cleanser, use a water-based foaming one. Google "Korean double cleanse technique" to learn more.

I find that if I'm extra good to my skin, I can still enjoy the full-coverage joys of this foundation on special occasions.

But, if you're "efficient" most mornings like me... I prefer a tinted, SPF-included, BB moisturizer to quickly even my skin tone without too much thought. If that's you, DON'T get this foundation.

If you like contouring, flaunting your makeup, workin' that cat eye/false lashes, sass with your brows #onfleek, and seek photoshop-lookin skin for #nofilter instagram selfies, this could be your HG foundation.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I purchased this product a few days ago, and tried it but somehow my skin gets super oily! I'm not sure if it's because I am also using MAC finishing spray too close from my face.. So, I will not do it tomorrow and will try the lock It primer that I bought as well.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

When I first tried this, I HAAATED it. It looked nice initially but it felt so yuck. I'm talking dry and itchy, and like I felt I had cement on my face. I was like agh get it off! In the well lit mirror at work I looked cakey and gross. I was so disappointed. But then.. After watching numerous YouTube videos on people using it, I decided that perhaps a face oil may amend the situation. I figured, as this was drying, if my face is over moisturized it will counteract the dryness. Cue face oil.. The trick with this makeup, is definately tweaking moisture levels of skin, working out the right amount of product, and blending. After I use my face oil I apply 1 pump of this foundation to the back of my hand. I then work in small sections of my face, applying tiny dots to the area and buffing with a flat top foundation brush. I never need more than 1 pump, and I don't even need a Concealer. I find that I am less oily during the day, and even when mixed with natural oil after hours of wear, it actually looks really flattering and more natural. This stuff is SUPER pigmented. A teeny bit goes a long way. I can see a bottle lasting at least 6 months. I have already got my sister and mum onto this. Give it a chance. I can't see myself needing to try another foundation. (Or another makeup line ever again.. I am in love)

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

WORST PURCHASE OF MY MAKEUP LIFE. I have alot of foundations, so i can definatly tell you that this is by far the worse. I saw many people raving about this calling it holy grail and what not, but this is terrible. I got the volor 53 which was suppose to be for yellow undertoned people, NOPE, IT WAS PURE ORANGE! I couldnt return it since my dog ate the packaging but this is definatly terrible. I have clear skin but this made me look older and every single flaw i have was showing like the sun. The covrage wasnt good either.

Will not reccomend this to anyone.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

No. Just no. I tried six ways from Sunday to love this, as sooo many absolutely RAVE about KVD foundation. Words like, "airbrushed", "flawless" and "Holy Grail" convinced me that this was a must have for my foundation wardrobe. (Okay, it's a hoard.)

Anyhoo, I had a really hard time getting a color match for this. I wear Deauville in Nars Sheer Glow, and 3.0 in Urban Decay Naked Skin, just for reference. I ended up getting Light 45, and it was just a weird match once I got it home. Still, I had high hopes. I tried this with about 5 different primers, with powder, without powder, after moisturizing, after exfoliating, with a setting spray, without a setting spray, mixed with lotion, mixed with other foundation- you get the picture. I could NOT for the life of me get this foundation to look anything other than cakey, pore magnifying weirdness. Every line, pore and texture issue was magnified and just awful! It felt like a mask. A weird, cakey mask. *Shudder* After about 6 months, I actually threw it into the garbage. Now that speaks volumes, because I am a hoarder when it comes to my makeup.

There are SO many other well formulated foundations out there that are full coverage, if that is your thing, that are better for your skin and perform 10 thousand times better than this stuff..a waste I tell you. A waste!

PS- I am a makeup artist for Hourglass, and I always want to cry when I see people flocking to this. Just...no.

I would not waste your time on this foundation. Luckily I got a sample from Sephora before purchasing. I give three stars because the color was great, the coverage was great as well. But this settled into all of my fine lines and pores, as well as clung to all my dry patches. My face looked worse than if I didn't wear any makeup at all- which is saying a lot. I do tend to have dry skin, so maybe someone with different skin wouldn't have that issue. I recommend sampling any foundation at this price before committing.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I have been using Kat Von D's Lock it for over 3 years. I was initially drawn to this foundation due to it being full coverage and oil-free (I have very oily skin). I also have a challenging skin tone to match and this line has so many shades to choose from-- a big plus! My skin tone would be a perfect match if MAC made a shade in between NC20-NC25. I would consider myself a light, yellow shade. After numerous tries of shade matching between the years with Kat Von D, I find myself best matched at Medium 52- Should be re-labeled as Light 52 in my opinion. Light 48 is always the default shade for me according to findation.com, but if you don't have a slight pink undertone stay far away from this shade.

Pros:
Lasts a long time - 10 hours tops (not 24 hours as labeled)
Wide shade selection with various undertones
Full coverage
Great for oily skin people- controls my oil well. I also use Rimmel's Stay Matte in Transparent to set this foundation-- this powder will not alter the shade.
Doesn't break me out-- L'Oréal Pro-Matte is similar to this formula, but broke me out really bad. I tested the L'Oréal Pro-Matte in Golden Beige and would replace the Kat Von D if my skin wouldn't break out so bad!

Cons:
It tends to transfer on my cell phone and clothes.
May be considered too full of a coverage for some people.

To sum up this review, If you have a difficult skin tone to match, want full coverage, and some oil control, this foundation is for you. If you want something with a bit less coverage, try or stick with good 'ol Revlon Colorstay. :-)

Video Reviews & Tutorials