October 31, 2014 | 1397 users online

Mascara - Lancome - Hypnose Star

rated 3 of 5 on 5/15/2014 11:56:00 AM More reviews by sciencegeek

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I decided to treat myself and buy this mascara full price! Ouch... I don't wear a lot of make up but if there's something I use every single day is mascara. I just love it. This mascara, however, was a let down for me...

Initially I really liked this mascara because it made my lashes look awesome with just one coat. I don't like piling on mascara (or any make up item for that matter). So I found that this gave me really pretty lashes with just one swipe. There was a lot of product on the brush each time, and sometimes I had to wipe some product off which is a waste but I still enjoyed it because I really liked the effect.

This mascara also lasted ages once on and even after vigorous exercise it never let me down. I.e. it faded but not in a ungracefully manner- never gave me racoon eyes or any type of smudging. I got the non waterproof version so the lasting power is remarkable.

However, two or three weeks after it was drying out so badly... It then got really clumpy and I no longer could achieve a nice and smooth effect. Considering it cost me over 20 this is not acceptable.

Overall I liked this mascara very much but only for the first few weeks. It dried out quickly which makes this terrible value for money. I will not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/13/2014 1:58:00 PM More reviews by hannahskm

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love it... I have now run out of it and need an urgent replacement argh!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/9/2014 8:54:00 AM More reviews by Anicca83

Waterproof version - This works for me. I have long lashes and watery eyes and I use eye drops so I need waterproof mascaras. No idea how the standard Hypnose Star is but the waterproof version holds a curl and lasts as promised without smearing or running. The small triangular brush is plush and coats evenly. The lashes don't clump unless you add extra coats before the initial coat has set.

The colour is a true black and the small wand is brilliant for those of us with small eyes. Large bright eye owners may not like the small wand but this is perfect for me. Got this on sale so not bothered by the usually high price tag. Will definitely repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/8/2014 8:38:00 PM More reviews by erinlee86

I first came across this wonderful product when I was in Hawaii on holidays. I am in Australia, so normally I wouldn't really look at this mascara as the price tag is quite expensive for what it is. However, it was all the rave when I went over there. So I figured why not? I will try. I was very impressed. Firstly the colour of the mascara is really black, so you get the blackest you can get with a mascara, in which I prefer and find the most flattering. Secondly the consistency of this was good, it made my eyes pop as it built, length, volume and it was clumpy. I wouldn't say that in the first go you will be like wow and that's all you need to apply, you probably need to apply 2-3 times to get the perfect eyelashes. I am a little disappointed with some peoples reviews who say that drug store/chemist brands are just as good. I don't agree. I don't think that the quality of them is as good as this. This stuff is the bomb. I would hands down, without thinking about it buy again. Even though it comes with the price tag. I think it's worth it if you are mascara fan. It can really make your eyes pop. Give it a whirl I say.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2014 2:17:00 PM More reviews by hebrides

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I loved the sample I had last fall, and I bought a full sized Hypnose Star yesterday. It isn't anything like the sample. It is nice and black, but the consistency is too thick and the brush does not distribute the product to give any length. Just a little volume and black colour. I used the brush correctly, the flat side first and then the longer brush side. Absolutely short lashes, and it flakes off immediately. I am very disappointed as I had such good results with the tiny sample. Either this was old stock, or the larger brush does not work as well as the tiny sample brush. Whatever the case, it's so annoying to spend the big bucks and realize it isn't as good as any of my other mascaras. I can't in fairness give this a very low rating because the sample was so good.

Update Aug 29, 2014. I got another one of these, full sized, in the latest Lancome kit. It is even worse than the last - no coverage at all. It does nothing for my lashes. I have to give it the lowest rating.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/4/2014 8:20:00 AM More reviews by amberlightsss

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm shocked by all the negative reviews! I got this mascara in a gift and before I tried it, I read the reviews here on MuA - which means I had really low expectation when I tried it for the first time. But, I didn't get disappointed, I actually got impressed!

The packaging is really pretty and the wand looks nice. When I first tried it, I just coated my lashes without thinking about which side of the wand I was supposed to use. The result looked ok and pretty, but not that good. Then I read online that you're supposed to use the flat side first, coat your lashes a couple of times, then use the other side like it is a top coat. Before I put it on, I dry of the wand with paper. There's A LOT of product on the wand, so make sure you dry of a little bit because if not, it may get clumpy. Anyways - I dry the wand, then I coat my lashes with the flat side. This makes my lashes look voluminous and long. Then I put the wand back into the packaging to get more product on the wand and coat my lashes with the other side. This adds thickness to my lashes and makes them look really voluminous, thick and black - which is what I like!

The only negative thing about this mascara, is the fact that it wears off during the day. I'm not sure where the mascara is going though, because it doesn't leave black spots and flakes under my eyes! After about 6 hours or so my lashes look a little bit thin and my curl is gone - in other words, it holds a curl quite well, but it won't hold it during the whole day. It's also impossible to use on the lower lashes. Clumps like crazy!! It doesn't help if you dry of the applicator, it will clump anyway.

I think I will purchase this again when I'm out, but it's quite expensive so I might skip it. I have tried better, but I've also tried worse mascaras! Not the best and not the worst. ;)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2014 12:38:00 PM More reviews by HollyWould123

I'm not impressed. This was a gift with purchase, so I'm glad I didn't spend the $20-25ish on it. I feel that it is very run of the mill, definitely not high end quality. I feel Benefit's They're Real or any Shiseido mascara is a million times better than this. It is a decent product, but not worth the price tag. You'd get the same effect with Cover Girl or Maybelline, perhaps even better results with those. This mascara is a bit flakey and the formula is so-so. The only thing I did like about it was the brush, which is great and quite effective. Wouldn't buy for full price, but wouldn't throw it in the garbage either.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2014 6:19:00 AM More reviews by TrishyB

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is the first Lancome mascara that I've ever used and I must say I'm impressed, it gives EXCELLENT volume and length - if you use it right becasue there are two side to this mascara. I think this will turn out really well IF you take the time to apply it correctly. The flat side is meant to be applied at the roots of your lashes to create volume and the other side is used through the root to the tip of your lashes. The one downside is it SOMETIMES flakes off during the day, and I think this only happens if you apply too many coats... or maybe it's just me. It honeslty makes your lashes look amazing! Perfect for night time if you want a dramatic eye, but also good for everyday if you just use the "normal" bristle side.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2014 9:24:00 AM More reviews by fangwong

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Lancome hypnose STAR mascara is hands down my HG mascara. My lashes are thin and straight and this is the ONLY mascara that I've used that can hold a curl all day long. Its formula is not heavy and doesn't clump even after many coats - length and thickness is definitely build-able. The unique shaped brush allows for precise application and less wastage. The formula is truly amazing as it is sweat proof and doesn't smudge!
The only downside is the price.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2014 10:39:00 PM More reviews by MrsTefee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I actually really like this! To be honest most mascaras act the same on me so im not that picky. I got this because I wanted something 'different' and I wanted to splurge! The brush on this intrigued me, it reminded me of the maybelline falsies brush and I did like the falsies but I HATED how so much extra product got onto the wand. This lancome one is similar but less gloopyness than the maybelline IMO. I will use it up and I might buy again depending on what else I want to try :)

Pros:
volume
not clumpy
unique brush
beautiful packaging
no gloopyness all over the wand

cons:
expensive