September 1, 2014 | 1466 users online

Mascara - Lancome - Hypnose Star

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2014 2:17:00 PM More reviews by hebrides

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I loved the sample I had last fall, and I bought a full sized Hypnose Star yesterday. It isn't anything like the sample. It is nice and black, but the consistency is too thick and the brush does not distribute the product to give any length. Just a little volume and black colour. I used the brush correctly, the flat side first and then the longer brush side. Absolutely short lashes, and it flakes off immediately. I am very disappointed as I had such good results with the tiny sample. Either this was old stock, or the larger brush does not work as well as the tiny sample brush. Whatever the case, it's so annoying to spend the big bucks and realize it isn't as good as any of my other mascaras. I can't in fairness give this a very low rating because the sample was so good.

Update Aug 29, 2014. I got another one of these, full sized, in the latest Lancome kit. It is even worse than the last - no coverage at all. It does nothing for my lashes. I have to give it the lowest rating.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/4/2014 8:20:00 AM More reviews by amberlightsss

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm shocked by all the negative reviews! I got this mascara in a gift and before I tried it, I read the reviews here on MuA - which means I had really low expectation when I tried it for the first time. But, I didn't get disappointed, I actually got impressed!

The packaging is really pretty and the wand looks nice. When I first tried it, I just coated my lashes without thinking about which side of the wand I was supposed to use. The result looked ok and pretty, but not that good. Then I read online that you're supposed to use the flat side first, coat your lashes a couple of times, then use the other side like it is a top coat. Before I put it on, I dry of the wand with paper. There's A LOT of product on the wand, so make sure you dry of a little bit because if not, it may get clumpy. Anyways - I dry the wand, then I coat my lashes with the flat side. This makes my lashes look voluminous and long. Then I put the wand back into the packaging to get more product on the wand and coat my lashes with the other side. This adds thickness to my lashes and makes them look really voluminous, thick and black - which is what I like!

The only negative thing about this mascara, is the fact that it wears off during the day. I'm not sure where the mascara is going though, because it doesn't leave black spots and flakes under my eyes! After about 6 hours or so my lashes look a little bit thin and my curl is gone - in other words, it holds a curl quite well, but it won't hold it during the whole day. It's also impossible to use on the lower lashes. Clumps like crazy!! It doesn't help if you dry of the applicator, it will clump anyway.

I think I will purchase this again when I'm out, but it's quite expensive so I might skip it. I have tried better, but I've also tried worse mascaras! Not the best and not the worst. ;)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2014 12:38:00 PM More reviews by HollyWould123

I'm not impressed. This was a gift with purchase, so I'm glad I didn't spend the $20-25ish on it. I feel that it is very run of the mill, definitely not high end quality. I feel Benefit's They're Real or any Shiseido mascara is a million times better than this. It is a decent product, but not worth the price tag. You'd get the same effect with Cover Girl or Maybelline, perhaps even better results with those. This mascara is a bit flakey and the formula is so-so. The only thing I did like about it was the brush, which is great and quite effective. Wouldn't buy for full price, but wouldn't throw it in the garbage either.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2014 6:19:00 AM More reviews by TrishyB

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is the first Lancome mascara that I've ever used and I must say I'm impressed, it gives EXCELLENT volume and length - if you use it right becasue there are two side to this mascara. I think this will turn out really well IF you take the time to apply it correctly. The flat side is meant to be applied at the roots of your lashes to create volume and the other side is used through the root to the tip of your lashes. The one downside is it SOMETIMES flakes off during the day, and I think this only happens if you apply too many coats... or maybe it's just me. It honeslty makes your lashes look amazing! Perfect for night time if you want a dramatic eye, but also good for everyday if you just use the "normal" bristle side.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2014 9:24:00 AM More reviews by fangwong

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Lancome hypnose STAR mascara is hands down my HG mascara. My lashes are thin and straight and this is the ONLY mascara that I've used that can hold a curl all day long. Its formula is not heavy and doesn't clump even after many coats - length and thickness is definitely build-able. The unique shaped brush allows for precise application and less wastage. The formula is truly amazing as it is sweat proof and doesn't smudge!
The only downside is the price.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2014 10:39:00 PM More reviews by MrsTefee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I actually really like this! To be honest most mascaras act the same on me so im not that picky. I got this because I wanted something 'different' and I wanted to splurge! The brush on this intrigued me, it reminded me of the maybelline falsies brush and I did like the falsies but I HATED how so much extra product got onto the wand. This lancome one is similar but less gloopyness than the maybelline IMO. I will use it up and I might buy again depending on what else I want to try :)

Pros:
volume
not clumpy
unique brush
beautiful packaging
no gloopyness all over the wand

cons:
expensive

rated 1 of 5 on 4/5/2014 3:00:00 PM More reviews by xMadHatterx

Background on my lashes: I have short, thin and almost non existing eyelashes which is in need of volume, boost and thickening.

I saw this and in all honestly I bought it due to Lancome being an amazing brand that hasn't disappointed me yet and also the packaging was beautiful!

Pros:
1. Packaging.
2. Lots of product.
3. Black as night.

Cons:
1. Applicator takes out too much product on the brush.
2. Brush extremely poor design
3. EXTREMELY clumpy
4. Difficult to apply. I tried the "wiggle method", the "just apply it" method, and "apply from the tip" method. nothing seems to work!
5. Flakes

I thought that I had bought one that was a fluke, and also the sales rep who I talked with told me that she was wearing the product and it looked amazing on her, So I went and bought another one. Nope, same thing happened. So I don't know if she just has amazing make-up skills or used a different applicator, but this was way too expensive and failed too many times for me to count.

I would not repurchase this one.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2014 7:06:00 PM More reviews by bluesunrise17

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Background info - My eyelashes are terrible, they're straight and thin and don't work with most mascaras.
Overall - This is my HG mascara!! :) I see a lot of reviews on here saying they hate this, but, wow, this is the first one I've ever tried that I honestly love.

PROS:
1. True black.

2. The tube is really really pretty with its silver glitter.

3. a. Holds curl extremely well
b. Can be built up with multiple coats
c. looks AMAZING!
with all those being said, this is my routine with this mascara: Curl lashes, then apply 1st coat. Let dry, then curl again. Apply 2nd coat, let dry, and curl for the final time. This is the ONLY mascara I've found that holds curl this well, and can be built up this well also, especially with my less-than-great lashes.

CONS:
1. Price - I usually pay $28 - $30 for one tube.

2. It can flake occasionally but usually I don't have a problem with that.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/29/2014 11:16:00 AM More reviews by colormepinkenblue

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

A little background info: Asian with average lashes, not puny but not "wow, I can fan you with my lashes" lashes, hooded lids, super oily skin on my entire face.

I got a sample of this from Sephora and it is one of my least favorite mascaras. It is down there with the original Great Lash. I set my mascara with ELF HD Powder so this mascara doesn't smudge on me. If I didn't, it will smudge on me about as much as any other mascara.

The wand is pretty cool, but the scraper (I'm assuming the sample tubes will have the same scraper as a regular size tube) doesn't scrape off enough product so I have to scrape off the excess mascara else I will have clumps.

Formula wise, it has a strong floral smell that I don't mind and I can get good length. Normally, length is enough to make me happy, but this formula flakes on me horribly. That great length I can get when I first apply, disappears as the day goes on because it flakes on me throughout the day. After 8 hours, it looks like I have nothing on my lashes and little black specks on my cheeks.

The sample tube went into the trash.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2014 2:58:00 PM More reviews by countrybearjamboree

I typically find drugstore mascaras superior over highend. Still to this day, I haven't found a HG highend mascara. But, like a true mascara junkie, I continue to search. I saw a presentation of this mascara on HSN and liked the results the models were getting. I ended up getting a mini tube at Nordstrom's for free during a GWP event. I was so excited to try this out! Sadly, this wasn't worth the obsession and lust I developed leading up to getting it. Now, it does have several pros and I'm not going to say this is a complete fail. However, the cons really bother me and I won't be purchasing a full size of this.
PROS:
1. Brush design. I love how the brush is made up of the traditional bristles. Also, I love how the brush is shaped like a Christmas tree. The brush makes it a breeze to get to those tiny lashes at the inner corners of the eye.
2. Results. My lashes are short, thin but very curly. I love how this mascara stretches out my curl to provide a lot of length. Also, I like how this mascara provides some volume, not much but enough to provide a "day" look.
3. Pigmentation. True deep dark black.
CONS:
1. Flakes! This is by far one of the worst flaking mascaras. Even when I'm applying the masacra, flakes fall down my cheeks. By the end of the day, most of the mascara flaked off.
2. Smudges. This mascara smudges very easily. Just sitting around and I don't have watery eyes, this will smudge all along my lower lash line.
3. Scent! Worst ever smell. I can't even handle this mascara on days I don't feel well. It is such a strong floral scent. I really hate it. I find all Lancome cosmetics to have this same nasty floral scent.