Tarte Clean Slate Poreless 12 hr Perfecting Primer

3.8

Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Cyclohexasilixane, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Lycium Barbarum Fruit Extract, Euterpe Oleracea Fruit Extract, Malpighia Punicifolia (Acerola) Fruit Extract, Punica Granatum Extract, Passiflora Incarnate Fruit Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Hibiscus Rosa-Sinsensis Flower/Leaf Extract, Mica, Echinacea Angustilfolia Extract, Centella Asiatica Extract, Phenoxyethanol.

on 12/7/2014 7:46:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Okay this product is not suitable for very oily skin in a humid climate AT ALL. 12 hour? More like 2 hours! I was so disappointed because I heard good things about Tarte and this product is super expensive for me. My face started to get oily as though I had nothing on. Incredibly disappointed. The formula also makes it even greasier than usual. Avoid this!

I try to write all my reviews the same way I'd like to see reviews, so first off here are my stats:
- 18 years old
- Combination skin, oily t-zone and slightly dry cheeks
- Acne prone, especially to black heads
- Some acne scarring (hyperpigmentation)

I've always freaked out about not using a primer between my lotion and foundation. I felt that if I didn't, it'd make my break outs worse, but after failure and failure of primers, I gave up. I saw this at Ulta and thought, what the heck, I'll try it.

I LOVE IT!!!

Pros
- Tubes (soo good, plus you can cut it out and get out the rest of the product)
- Gel-like consistency
- More is less
- Controls shine
- Fills pores like crazy

Cons
- It feels a little icky
- The way this primer applies is 100% dependent on what lotion/sunscreen you're wearing. Some sunscreens this balls up for me, others it smooths on
- If wearing a slippery lotion, this will only make it more slippery, and thus your foundation will be even more so

Overall, great for makeup!

on 11/22/2014 11:56:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I absolutely hated this primer. (I'm even contemplating to return it, even with the hassle of purchasing it online). I trusted buying this primer because it had several positive reviews online and bought it on a swayed perception thinking this would be my holy grail primer. Well, boy was I wrong. The consistency of this primer is very thick, and in addition, applying this with a liquid foundation made the application process even harder. When I'm looking for a primer I'm looking for it to make my foundation like on like butter and this did the exact opposite. My face felt heavy, and my pores initially felt clogged just with the primer alone. This is even hard for me to say this because I love makeup, and love a full face, and I'm not afraid of applying several products to my face. But this just made me want to stop after I applied my foundation. I didn't even want to set my makeup with powder. I'd stick to Benefit Porefessional, or Smashbox. The only reason I'm giving it one lip is because I have to, the packaging is pretty, and it did an okay job with under eye priming, and I did receive a compliment with conjunction of using this primer with another primer but not on its own. (Does its job a little bit, but quality is too similar to a drugstore product versus the price paid) I do believe this also resulted in a major breakout that I am currently facing as well.

on 10/27/2014 10:43:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I really wanted to love this product but I just couldn't. Now I'm not going to bash tarte I think the products I have tried from them are amazing especially their concealer it has been my HG for awhile now and works wonders but this primer didn't do much for me. I have combination skin meaning I flake often in certain places while applying make up and by the end up of the day it's just melting off in the places I get oily. This primer did what a basic primer would do every went on smooth in SOME places not all - it didn't help with my dry patches I get on my fore head or nose or chin. By the end of the day my make up was doing the same thing it always does - melting off. My concealer even caked up and it never has done that to me before. Note I only use the concealer as a highlight and use Mac mineralize skin finish on the rest of my face. Now this may work for others just didn't do it for me. This didn't do anything for my pores as well. It just kind of sat on my face and didn't sink in. I've never had a good experience with primers of this texture. still on the hunt for my HG primer. To get an idea I tried different amounts - letting it dry longer / shorter - combining with a moisturizer and vice versa

on 10/5/2014 7:06:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this primer! Not only does it last all day, through grime and sweat, but also minimizes pores! I also did not experience any breakouts or irritation. I cannot say anything bad about this primer.

on 9/11/2014 4:49:00 AM

I have combination skin with oily T-Zone area, however,Tarte Clean Slate Poreless 12 hr Perfecting Primer, works like magic to my skin. It leaves my skin smooth, covers pores and imperfections perfectly well.

The best part of all -- my face is less oily now!! :)

I would definitely buy it again once this runs out.

on 8/21/2014 9:41:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I'm hoping I get the results other people are getting it has 3 silicones as it's first ingredients then a few drops of natural oils and stuff....extremely basic

on 8/6/2014 1:09:00 AM

primer junkie here - this turns benefit porefessional and smashbox primers crap. favoriteeeee primer that finally does what it says - blurs pores, prolongs wear, smoothing and does not break me out. tried too faced lorac jouer and dior as well, none compare to this. pricey but worth it. have yet to try hourglass mineral veil to see which ones better.

on 7/13/2014 10:42:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I originally went into Ulta to look for my favorite primer (Ulta Professional Matte Primer) but its been discontinued. I've been eyeballing this primer for a while now because I've been interested in taking the organic/cruelty free route to makeup. I decided to pick it up & it's seriously worth every dollar. The formula is very thick, which I love. Dries matte. Foundation application is flawless. My makeup stays on for most of the day.

on 6/28/2014 5:37:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This was my first primer ever. I really wanted to like it, and used it quite often under my mineral makeup. After only a few days of use however, I got break outs. I generally don't get breakouts unless using comedogenic products, so I knew that this product was to blame, since nothing else changed in my skincare routine.
I wish this was the worst aspect of this primer, but it doesn't end there. I have oily skin, but it's relatively well-managed. This product actually made my skin oilier than it would have been without having used it! My makeup slid off my face unlike anything I had seen before. I should also add that the "perfecting" affect, only lasts for 2-3 hours. There is nothing 12-hour about this primer. What happens is while your skin looks refined when you apply it, the product starts melting throughout the day and your pores are visible and your skin is shiny.
Okay, so maybe I could still use this for special occasions right? Wrong, because the smell is nauseating. I can't describe it well, since the only thing I can compare it to is some sort of chemical plant (and I don't even know what a chemical plants smells like, but this primer gives me an idea). It just reeks of something toxic or rancid.
If you can get over all of this and don't have breakout prone skin, then this product may be for you. I simply can't tolerate it and there are better alternatives on the market for the price.