April 18, 2014 | 1850 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup (24 hour formula - 2012/2013)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2014 5:30:00 PM More reviews by BassKitten808

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

**UPDATE**
This is most definitely my #1 favorite foundation right now, bumping it up another lippie.The more I wear it & work with it, the more I love it. I know a lot of people are upset about the reformulation & I can see that's where a lot of these bad reviews are coming from but as someone who has good experience with both formulas this one is so much prettier than the old formula. This foundation gives as flawless looking of a complexion then I've had in a long time. Gives me smooth, even, satin/natural matte skin & it stays incredibly long still w/o drying my skin out. Wayy better then my old favorites ELDW & Lancome Tient Idole Ultra 24hr. I swear everytime I go to the store this foundation gets cleared out with this new formula. If you're iffy about trying this because of the poor ratings here, don't be discouraged. This is an amazing foundation it's not horrible like a lot of people are claiming it is. I used to only wear high-end foundations & this has blown those all out of the water. BTW, shake the bottle well before using, it'll come out of the bottle easier & with a better consistency.
_____________________________________________

This is going to be a long review but I promise it's very helpful! I'm going to be comparing this new 24hr formula to the old 16hr formula (in both oily/combo & dry/normal skin) & even to the new Estee Lauder Double Wear formula (because these two foundations are usually compared to one another). I have all of these foundations so I feel like I'm pretty well experienced with them (with the exception of the new DW - I've tried samples of it several times though). Btw I currently have combination-dry skin with a very oily nose because it's winter, in the summer my skin is more combination-oily/normal.

In comparison to the old Colorstay 16hr combo/oily formula--

TEXTURE:
This has a less runny consistency. It almost feels somewhat creamy/silky when you blend it into the skin which I really like. Even though it's less runny/more creamy, it applies more thinly. The 16hr one is more runny but somehow applies heavier & thicker. The new formula is easier to work with beause it doesn't dry as quickly & blends into the skin a bit easier. They really need to put a pump on it now since it's less runny, I have to really shake the product out of the bottle to get it out. To note, the new formula is silicone-based, whereas the old formula is water-based.

FINISH:
It's definitely not as matte. I'd say it has a more demi-satin finish. Whereas the old one is very matte & sets to a more powdery finish. The new one takes longer to dry & doesn't really set completely (it feels somewhat tacky) so you need to set it with a powder. To me, this looks more natural & feels less heavy on the skin. I prefer the finish because it's less dry looking/feeling.

COVERAGE:
I get a couple pimples every now & then. I also have freckles, hyperpigmentaion from acne & minor texture scarring from acne. I do have some things to cover so in my opinion, it still has a good high-medium coverage, maybe slightly less then the old formula but not by much. You can build it up but you have to let the first layer dry before doing so. Just like with the old formula though, if you use too much, it will get cakey.

WEAR:
It still wears nicely. It's a little less longwearing then the old formula but I still consider it to be a longwearing foundation. The oil-control isn't as good anymore (I think due to it being less matte) but it's still pretty good at combatting my very oily nose. My makeup still looks good throughout the day.

SIDE BY SIDE COMPARISON TEST:
I covered half of the back of my hand with the 16hr & the other half with the 24hr. The 16hr side looks more dry/matte & covers the color of my veins. The 24hr side feels a bit more tacky but has a more satin/less dry finish & covers the color of my veins equally as well. I ran both of them under water for a while & neither of them ran/smudged/faded at all. These two foundations are at the moment the only two foundations I have that can withstand this test to that extent.

OVERALL:
Compared to the 16hr formula, I honestly like this one better. The old formula & the new formula are like completely two different foundations pretty much. They even smell different (the new one has a more subtle, less cloying scent). It has a nicer, easier to work with texture. It has a better finish & feels more light-weight/less dry on the skin. I loved the old formula in the summer but I always thought it looked kind of caked on which I don't like. I can see where people with oily skin that used the old formula are angry because the oil-control isn't as good & it's not as matte. Heck, I have kinda dry skin right now & I can use it without problems as long as I moisturize. All-in-all, this is actually one of my favorite foundations at the moment. It makes my skin look nice & even without looking or feeling super dry & heavy. That effect lasts all say on my skin. It oxidizes a bit when my skin is more oily just like the 16hr but it's not too bad.

New 24hr dry/normal skin formula:
This is horrible, they downgraded this one. Now it's very watery, runny, & thin. It has light-medium coverage & has little staying power. The old 16hr one was much better. Also, I think they should seperate the review pages for the different formulas because they're completely different from one another. It's quite confusing because some people don't state which formula they tried, & if they tried the dry skin one I can understand why they don't like it, because it sucks.

New 24hr oily/combo skin formula compared to Estee Lauder Double Wear's new formula:
This has better coverage now then Double Wear, I even think it lasts longer on the skin. I used to be a huge fan of DW but now I prefer Colorstay.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2014 6:06:00 AM More reviews by Emma13

I have been testing this a number of times in the past, but have never bought it because I always had some other foundation on the go. Having run out recently, I purchased this in the shade “buff”, which I had flagged as being a good match.

I think it is a good foundation. I would not say that it is anywhere near full coverage – more like medium. This could be the reformulation. It applies well, but your skin must be well prepped (moisturised), otherwise it will somewhat emphasise any dry areas. It does set fairly quickly, but is perfectly blendable. The finish is quite impressive, in fact comparable to my previous fdn Chanel matte lumiere. Of course the price is much cheaper, and the packaging is less attractive. It seems to come off easily enough with my PC cleanser. I have used it for about three weeks now and it has not caused any break-outs or irritation. When I used this for the first few days without mixing it with anything else (see below), the finish was natural and yet matte – surprisingly I did not need to apply powder on top. It lasted well on my combination skin with a t-zone that tends to get shiny.

What I am not so happy about is that the shade “buff” is significantly lighter than I expected. Again, this may be because of the reformulation. It makes my face look too white, so I have to mix it with another liquid fdn which is too dark on its own (EL double wear, new version). The result is fine, but I would prefer to be able to use it on its own. As a shade, Buff is pretty neutral, though if it were a bit more yellow-olive it would be perfect. However, it is okay compared to many drugstore foundations that are much pinker or peachier.

Overall, this fdn is well worth buying my opinion. As I said it stands up to a much more expensive fdn; possibly the Chanel is just a little bit nicer – but given the price difference, this is a perfectly good product.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2014 10:57:00 PM More reviews by UCanCallMeQueenE

I LOVE this foundation! I would say this is the best coverage since using MAC foundations (which sadly made me break out a ton). The coverage is medium-full and goes on silky smooth and sets to a powdery finish despite its liquid formula. I don't usually need a powder on top, it covers and stays so well. Shade selection is somewhat limited and in Canada it is fairly pricey (15-20 dollars depending on the store) so I usually buy it at Walmart in the states when I go across for 9.99 a bottle. I am never going to use another brand of foundation again-it even smells good. I also find it sits well on top of moisturizers and doesn't stay greasy or slide off of the lotion, totally worth every penny.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2014 4:46:00 AM More reviews by kirito

I generally don't care for foundations, even though I have acne. They just feel so heavy and I don't really care if my acne shows through BB creams. I decided to give Revlon ColorStay a try, since everyone talks about it. I have the one for oily/combination skin in the shade Warm Golden. (I initially purchased Natural Tan, which was way too dark for me.)

I don't have many products to compare this foundation to, but I would say it does the job. It matches my skin tone quite well and doesn't feel too heavy. I don't know if the oily/combination formula really differs from the normal/dry formula. I get oily throughout the day, but it's to be expected from my skin. It does last on my face for a whole day, which is nice.

I probably would repurchase this foundation if the packaging was improved. I cannot stand the fact that you have to vigorously shake the bottle for the product to dispense. I really wish the bottle had a pump, or was in a tube instead.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2014 11:04:00 PM More reviews by Kayyy45

I love this. I've never tried the old formula, but don't have a problem with this apparently new one. It's good coverage, and doesn't cake up on my nose like every other foundation I've ever tried. I really like the texture. Also, it does have a smell but it doesn't bother me whatsoever. This is one of my top two foundations, the other one being MUFE matte velvet plus. I switch off between those two and love them both. I would suggest this for anyone, with any skin type, especially because there are normal/dry and oily/combo versions and a huge color selection.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2014 11:39:00 AM More reviews by cblackburn88

This foundations is amazing. I realized that it is a bit difficult to use with a standard makeup brush but i have been using it with my beauty blender and it is flawless. it lasts all day long, mainly because i also add the urban decay "all nighter" setting spray afterwards. I guess when using the beauty blender it thins out the formula a bit, so its super easy to blend my contour and concealer into it. i love it.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/29/2013 1:25:00 PM More reviews by TinkyBlink

I had high hopes for this as it's well raved about but I think I might have a new formula version? I have the 24hr combo/oily formulation.

First off its that thick it takes ages to flow out of the bottle because it doesn't have a pump
It goes on so thick and doesn't spread well and sets super fast.
The end result is streaky (because you can't distribute it fast enough) and really imperfect looking. That's the only way I can think to describe it. I feel like I look ill with it on. It doesn't feel like it covers - doesn't have a nice finish, and it's just strange!
The colour match was actually really good - I'm fine with this but the product itself is just awful in application and finish. I put some on today and made a really good go at it and in the end took it back off and went back to bourjois.

Simply cannot recommend and am sad I didn't use the money to try the new happy light

rated 1 of 5 on 12/29/2013 10:45:00 AM More reviews by Glambarbie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

So back in the summer I was on a hunt for a drugstore foundation that would replace my department store one. I saw the OLD formula of this and tried it. It was amazing. But I got it in the wrong color, so I went back to return it for a new color. By this time Ulta had switch out the old formulas for the new one. So I thought it should just work like the old one I had come to love. So I took it home and put it on. I looked like a mess. My dad even asked me what happened to my face. The foundation turned bright orange, it was patchy, wasn't as full coverage, and it's new watery consistency made my face super oily. I returned it thinking it was just a bad bottle, but sure enough the next one had the same problem.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 12/28/2013 11:04:00 PM More reviews by 4nonymousaurus

I used to love this foundation--it stayed on all day, dried to a matte finish, and covered my problematic red-tinted skin. In my quest to find a cheaper foundation with good results like this one gave me (what can I say, I'm a make-up addict on a budget!), I strayed away from colorstay for a few years while I tried others... until I recently decided I'd never find a better drugstore foundation and repurchased it.

When I put it on for the first time after a few years, I noticed how oily it was when I applied it, and how it never seemed to set completely into its matte finish how it used to. I looked at the bottle to make sure I didn't mistakenly pick up a similar-looking revlon product I didn't know about. NOPE. Revlon colorstay foundation.... I thought maybe I somehow managed to get a dud product, so I returned it for a new one--still the same crappy results! I had NO idea they reformulated this foundation until later on, and I am infuriated they changed what once was the most amazing foundation I could have asked for!

Thanks for nothing, revlon. You're lucky I like some of your other products, or I'd boycott your brand for good out of sheer fury.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2013 10:24:00 PM More reviews by Astarael

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I got on here to write a review saying that I couldn't figure out why this used to work for me, but now breaks me out without fail. Then I saw the reformulation in the title and it all makes sense. This new formula seems like the old excepting my skin, which is sensitive but not particularly clog-prone, HATES it. (I use the combo/oily version). I don't get why they reformulated when it was such a favorite before - all of my normal ie; not-product-obsessed friends even liked it.