Revlon ColorStay Makeup (24 hour formula)

3.1

Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua (Water), Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Tribehenin, Phenyl Trimethicone, Nylon-12, Cymbidium Grandiflorum (Orchid) Flower Extract, Lactobacillus/Eriodictyon Californicum Ferment Extract, Lilium Candidum Bulb Extract, Malva Sylvestris (Mallow) Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Bisabolol, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Tocopherol, Alcohol Denat., Alumina, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Methicone, Laureth-7, Magnesium Sulfate, Silica, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Ethylene Brassylate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Dimethicone/Silsesquioxane Copolymer, PEG-12 Glyceryl Dimyristate, Salicylic Acid, Silk Powder, Sodium Citrate, Dipropylene Glycol, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Serica (Silk), Tetrasodium EDTA, Hexylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylparaben, Methylparaben. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides.

on 5/30/2015 12:13:00 AM

I have been using Estēe Lauder Invisible Fluid Makeup in 1CN1 for about 2 years. I loved that foundation-- light, comfortable, natural. When it came time to refill this time, however, I felt hesitant to spend the $37.00. In addition, I was feeling like it was too light and wore off, and I would prefer a slightly heavier foundation that would at least STAY-- seemed kind of pointless to spend so much on something that doesn't last so well throughout the day. Anywho, these two reasons lead me to the drugstore. I chose Revlon ColorStay because I have heard so much about it, in the shade 200 Nude in the formulation for combination/oily skin. I was honestly scared to wear it to work because everyone says its so heavy. I applied it, post moisturizing, with my Real Techniques expert face brush. I used a conservative amount to be safe and found the coverage to be medium, but my freckles still shown through. It felt light throughout the day, the color was perfect, and it just looked great. Very happy with my purchase!

on 5/27/2015 6:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This is the first and only foundation I've used. I generally hate the feeling of foundation on my face, preferring to spot-conceal, but I needed this for some very formal events I was attending.

Pros:
-Decent shade-matching. I'm NC40, olive-toned, and this is slightly too cool for me, but can be easily corrected with some bronzer
-Coverage - I have some hyperpigmentation, and this covered it all. I don't have any icepick scars or pockmarks, so can't comment on how this foundation would perform with those.
-Blendability - Blends fine with fingers or brushes.

Cons:
My primary complaint is the texture of this foundation. It's a bit sticky, and I find it really difficult to remove. I like using a cream cleanser at night, followed by a toner, and it took an endless amount of wiping, rubbing, and tugging to get all of this off with that method. However, DHC's cleansing oil took it off in one fell swoop.

Despite the removal issue, I would repurchase this if I ever run out.

This is my HG foundation of about 3 years now. Every time I decide to try something new, I buy it, use it once, realize it doesn't compare to colorstay and then I end up never using it again! Revlon colorstay is fantastic! I don't have cystic acne, and usually only get a couple of pimples, but can get pretty bad breakouts around that lovely time of the month. This foundation keeps my skin looking great on good skin days and not so good skin days. This foundation stays in place and has great coverage without looking cakey, and you only need to use a little bit of product. I could rant about this foundation all day. Love it!! The ONLY negative would be the packaging, I really wish there was a pump as some foundation can be wasted when using a bottle. Although I haven't tried wearing this foundation for 24 hours, I work as a nurse and this foundation stays put throughout my shifts! It feels as if you aren't wearing foundation at all.

on 5/17/2015 10:37:00 AM

This is the only drugstore foundation that I semi-like but there are a lot of issues with it. It is pricey for drugstore foundation, and I always use the product up quickly because of the packaging. It is not a full coverage foundation, but you can build on it. It tends to look cakey if you purchased the one for oily skin, but the one for dry skin does not.

Pros-
Buildable coverage

Lasts all day

Cons-
There is no pump so there is a lot of product loss, and application is messy

The product is hard to blend and dries quickly on your skin

It gets darker through out the day.
- I will wear it to work and look in the mirror after I come home and my face looks dirty because the product darkened and settled in a weird way its super gross

Ultimately, the only reason I am rating this product 3 stars, is because compared to other drugstore foundations I have tried, this one is one of the better ones. It still kind of sucks, but it works.

on 5/17/2015 3:34:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

This is a decent cheaper foundation with good overall coverage and finish. Easy to blend, stays on well and doesn't go too patchy. It's not full coverage and it doesn't give you that ~flawless~ effect that higher-end formulas do, and it really benefits from being warmed up in your hands before being applied (which I don't really enjoy doing because of the way it says under my nails afterwards). It is buildable though, affordable, didn't upset my eczema or acne and performed well. This is pretty much the ideal first foundation!

on 5/17/2015 1:25:00 AM

Will not purchase again. This foundation is definately overrated/over hyped, even though many makeup gurus have raved about this foundation, it does not work for me at all.

CONS:
- has a weird sunscreen smell, that makes it feel really heavy
- contains SPF, which I don't like in foundations since its not very photo friendly, this foundation gives the worst white cast with flash
- thick liquid, a bit hard to blend
- messy packaging, no pump
- doesnt really set very well, when you touch your face, it will come off

OVERALL: it feels like a very heavy foundation, doesnt keep your face completely matte either. It did not achieve the expectations of what I look for in a foundation (matte finish, oil control, light weight, no SPF, and good colour).

This foundation is ok for a low end foundation but there are better options out there. This is medium/full coverage foundation that dries to a matte finish. It feels heavy on the skin and can look a bit cakey if you're not careful. You need to work with it quick though as it does dry fast and makes it harder to blend.
I find this stuff is hard to wash off my face at the end of the day. Also this stuff breaks me out a bit which never happens with other foundations I've used. I used the colour buff and its a tad light for NC20. Would be perfect for NC15 though.

The main reason I don't like this foundation is that it is a matte foundation which does not look good for those with dry skin. It also makes my face look flat cause of high coverage. I prefer foundations that have some glowyness to it.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Iíve been trying all kinds of different foundations over the years. Mostly high end brands that were recommended by the fine folks at Sephora. None of them were inherently bad, but they all left me feeling a bitÖdissatisfied.

Some were too sheer, albeit light and lovely-feeling on my skin, quite a few were technically an excellent color-match but had pink undertones that just werenít flattering (I want to color-correct my slight rosacea or at least camouflage it, not match it!), others were too shiny, and pretty much all of them had longevity/staying power issues.

The most recent one (MUFE HD) was an elegant formula out of the bottle, but turned out to be very aging in photographs and also had major longevity issues (rubbed off very easily onto clothing and also degraded noticeably over the course of the day, resulting in a very cakey appearance).

I started to question my approach to foundation. I didnít start wearing it until I was about 35 (Iím 38 now) and since my skin is on the normal-to-dry side, I kept seeking out formulations that would be more moisturizing or dewy (because hey, it sounded like a good idea!), all the while forgetting to account for the fact that before I ever put on foundation, I have layers of the following: serum/retinol, moisturizer, very high SPF sunscreen (probably the most problematic layer in terms of sheen, but Iím unwilling to go without the stuff) and primer.

In sum, while technically my skin is on the normal-to-dry side, the canvas that the foundation was being applied to could probably be much more accurately characterized as ďoilyĒ.

It was a real Ďaha!í moment and I decided to throw all of my earlier assumptions out the window by trying a formula that would be the complete opposite of everything Iíd been using before: a mattifying formula targeted specifically towards oily/combination skin. I did some research and decided that ColorStay fit the bill for my next foundation experiment as I also wanted to tackle longevity issues. If I was wrong, at least I wouldnít end up shelling out that much money!

The one thing I sometimes hate about drugstore makeup is that itís tricky trying to figure out a good color match. None of the places I go to have samples to take home and try before you buy, and I often end up holding the bottle next to my face trying guess whether this one or that one is the better match. Not a great way to choose.

I ended up going to my local Walgreens and sought the help of the woman behind the makeup register to figure out a match from the ColorStay line. Thanks to her incredible ingenuity, which involved a convoluted solution that used LíOreal True Match to establish an initial match with that line first and then using that match to then figure out the closest match in the ColorStay line, I ended up going with 200 Nude (it was a tossup between that and 180 Sand Beige). FWIW, the one complaint that I did NOT have with the MUFE HD foundation was the color and the 200 Nude turned out to be a nearly perfect match to MUFE 115. (Well done, makeup counter lady!).

Foundation successfully procured, I have to admit that I was initially skeptical about the ColorStay formula when I first opened the bottle. Itís super thick ó basically as hard to get out as ketchup ó and definitely wasnít as elegant on first impression as any of the higher end brands Iíd tried to date. I dunno, it just seemed chalkier or something? Not as finely-milled?

Whatever. I have a plucky streak in me and I went through my usual routine of applying a bajillion layers of stuff to my skin before applying the ColorStay foundation with my fingers. Still didnít seem all that good, but once it settled into my skin and set, mass confusion ensued. It lookedÖ.pretty damn great?

Seriously, my skin (remember, Iím 38) looked about as good as itís EVER looked in my 30ís. It also photographed well ó about 10-15 years younger than the MUFE HD foundation. Itís definitely on the mattifying side but also simultaneously looked subtly luminous. And, AND! It continued to look great all day! Even stayed on my nose, and hasnít rubbed off on my clothing.

More recently (Iíve now been wearing this every day for about a week) I really put it to the test by going for a run. By that, I mean I busted out a 4+-miler in the evening at a fast pace and partially uphill. Yup, got drenched in sweat. My foundation? Barely degraded and looked more dewy than anything. (BTW, yes, I donít bother to remove my makeup before running. Reasons? I donít want to have to remove it and then reapply sunscreen layer (too fussy!), plus I JUST DO NOT BREAK OUT, LIKE, EVER.). Put to the test this way, all of the other foundations I've ever used tend to look pretty horrible after a run. Not this one.

This stuff outperforms anything else Iíve ever used, high end or drugstore. If I could award 10 lippies, I would. Looks great no matter what I do, lasts a freaking long time, and is cheap as hell, at least compared to prior purchases.

That said, I *totally* get that this stuff isnít everyoneís cup of tea. It's a great fit for my particular skin care regimen, desires, skin type and overall lifestyle. The real takeaway, hopefully, is that maybe my wall of words will inspire someone else to rethink whatís not working for them and why.

on 5/4/2015 12:01:00 AM

I've used this for years just as an everyday foundation. Coverage is decent, probably medium coverage at the most (it will look cakey if you put too much on, so I don't think it could do full coverage, but it depends on how nice your skin is). It has good staying power- I'd say it's pretty close to Estee Lauder Double Wear, which is what I use for special occasions. Don't buy the one without the pump though- it's a pain to apply! I will keep repurchasing this foundation, it's one of Revlon's best products IMO :)

on 4/29/2015 11:00:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I'm so irritated I absolutely MUST write this review.

OLD COLORSTAY:
- Had the best staying power ever
- Didn't break me out (check out the ingredient list http://cosdna.com/eng/cosmetic_b86a1294.html)
- Didn't transfer
- Color match okay

tldr it was holy grail status

NEW 24 HOUR FORMULA:
- No staying power; fades, gets oily, and weird
- Breaks me out like the dickens!!!!!! (check out new ingredients, ugh!!! http://cosdna.com/eng/cosmetic_51ba159366.html )
- Transfers on bf shirt

tldr this is absolute crap now. And estee lauder double wear changed their formula too and it breaks me out!! WHY!? WHYYY. WHY!?