October 31, 2014 | 1595 users online

Liquid - Neutrogena - Shine Control Makeup

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2014 3:49:00 PM More reviews by jenglund

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I don't get the "gritty" thing at all. I've bought 2 bottles (Classic and Natural Ivory--I can wear both and I'm NC15ish), and neither have been gritty.

Thick, though, yes--I get that. A little tough to get out of the bottle. Also a little thick on the face. I tried it with the Shine Control primer and without, and I didn't see any big difference with the primer. Then again, I use it over CeraVe AM, which is fairly thick itself (and can turn anything oily/greasy if overapplied).

I think the best way to do this is with a sponge, only where I need evening out (e.g., Beauty Blender). I can't stick my fingers in it and smudge it all over every inch of my face for the "full makeup" effect like I tend to do if I'm being lazy and feeling like I'm about to have a Bad Face Day. It's too thick.

The redeeming thing about this foundation for me is that it DOES NOT CONTAIN CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, and I almost jumped up and down when I found that. As someone else mentioned, if you run this through CosDNA or just do a quick look over the ingredients, there's nothing too scary in here. I can only see it being a breakout risk if it is worn too long or improperly removed, but not due to any ingredient. I am super happy about this, because Almay Clear Complexion used to be my go-to foundation (and I really only wear foundation for special occasions or during the winter months when I need some color)...then within the last few years, they changed the formula and inserted Cyclopentasiloxane into the foundation AND the concealer. Nooooo!!! (If you are curious, please see the entire MUA review entry for this ingredient. It is bad, bad tiny bump-causing, cystic pimple-forming news for many of us). Everything has this ingredient now!!! (Except this).

So while it's not perfect, I do hope they keep making it. I find I don't even need a concealer when I wear this, which is very rare for me since I have redness and sun spots and all other things that cause one to want to never leave the house (even for a second!) without concealer.

I might actually try this as a concealer since most of my other go-to's have been "infected" with new reformulations including cyclopentasiloxane and since this is so thick.

EDIT: does get a little oily/greasy/shiny as the day goes on. Aw, man :( maybe I'll keep it around "just in case."

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2014 12:53:00 PM More reviews by angiee0215

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

About me: Extremely acne prone with normal skin sometimes combination in the summer. I used to be dry but I changed my Birth Control and my skin has changed to normal. After reading reviews on this product I noticed it doesn't have the best shine control, which is what I do not want since I am not super oily. Also, I ran it through Cosdna for acne causing agents and it passed.

Pros
-I don't feel the grains everyone says but I apply it with the damp real techqniues sponge so that might be why
-medium to build able coverage
-it dries down matte on my skin and I am satin by the end of the day (NOT GOOD FOR OILY skin)
-Lightest shade is a perfect match for NC15
-No breakouts but it doesn't heal current breakouts
-light weight feel

Cons
-Doesn't have a pump and this is an issue because this is a thicker consistency (reminds me of revlon colorstay whipped)
-NOT for oily skin. Those who are normal to dry would actually like this to get a matte to satin finish
-a little on the expensive side for drugstore but there are always coupons/sales

If you are normal to dry skin and you are looking for a new foundation than this is for you. I can understand why those who are oily who expected oil control and did not like the foundation. However, i am not looking for oil control and I like it.

Even though it is marketed as a shine control, this foundation is an HG for me. I usually love my Clinique even better but this beats it because it is a perfect color match where the clinique is not. However, I still love my clinique even better.
Update 4/30/2014: I am still loving this! No breakouts :)

rated 3 of 5 on 3/18/2014 1:39:00 PM More reviews by taylorlalaine

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This foundation isn't worth your money. I've used it for more than a full school semester but I bought it simply because I have very oily skin. It does not do good at controlling oil at all - lasts barely 3 hours and my foundation starts to break down and transfers very easily onto my clothes and justs melts off my face. However, it has pretty good coverage. I'd say medium to full and covers up my acne and redness without a concealer and it doesn't break me out. I'm still not satisfied so I'm looking for a new foundation that will control oil and not break me out.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/11/2014 4:29:00 PM More reviews by cheljo01

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Even after reading the reviews, I decided to buy this in the Nude 40. I used it for a couple of weeks and just returned it to the store. I don't think it is a shine control, for long anyways. After a couple of hours, I could see the shine coming through. By the end of the day, I looked like a grease bucket. I don't know about you, but that is not sexy to me. This is my routine: pour some foundation on the back of my hand and then dot it onto my face and blend. Well this morning gave me a shock. After I had poured it onto my hand, I noticed the edges where the skin met the foundation turned black!! I was completely surprised by this. So, I decided to dot it on my face and see if the blackness appears on the edges of the dot. Yup, sure as heck did. It went away after I blended, but it got me to thinking of what is in this product to turn my skin black instantly! The active ingredient is Titanium Dioxide. I don't know whether or not this is the reason, and I don't know if it's just my skin/only me that this happens to, but I decided right then and there to take it back. I emailed customer service so they are aware of the effect. It threw me off guard. Luckily I save my receipt and am now going to try another one of Neutrogena....we shall see how this goes....

I gave it the Overall Rating of 2 Lippies because I did think that it matched my skin tone well and that it did clear up some trouble spots, but not all. 5 Lippies for the price...seriously, is it really worth $12? no. and then 3 Lippies for the packaging....it was like hell shaking it out.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/2/2014 5:08:00 PM More reviews by justjennieereviewingg

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this product about 2 months ago after trying the skinclearing foundation which was amazing but sadly this foundation had NO shine control if anything it made my face look like I got a bottle of baby oil and poured it all over only after 4 hours of applying it. I was upset because their pigments are so good and it match my skin so well, coverage was not that great but I liked that it felt light on my skin but I had to toss it after 3 uses. I would not recommend on oily skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/13/2014 1:46:00 PM More reviews by KailieEmelia

If you have extra to excessively oily acne-prone skin, I highly recommend this foundation. I have been asked several times what foundation I use, and in addition I have had many compliments on how flawless my skin looks, which is nice for a change.

For the past 7 years, my skin has gone through drastic stages of smooth and normal, to oily and acne-prone. I've tried my share of foundations only to be disappointed with the results. I recently decided to try the new Neutrogena Shine Control liquid foundation, and I give it two thumbs up. The reason I give this foundation such high ratings is because it is the only foundation that has a matte finish to control my oily skin, and it is combined with sunscreen which has improved the overall appearance of my skin after only one week of using. It does not cake, unless you pack it on, but instead gives an airbrushed look that lasts throughout the day, and I can't even feel it on my face!

I would only recommend this product for oily skin, after all it is specifically for shine control. Try this product!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/31/2013 4:30:00 PM More reviews by Wonderless07

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I was really excited to try this foundation since neutrogena has been the only brand that doesn't break me out. Unfortunately, this foundation ended up doing just that. It has hardly any coverage (I applied it with my elf flat top brush) and my pimples and redness were completely visible. It was also difficult to blend. The product itself isnt that liquidy so it takes a while for it to come out of the container. It has this grainy texture which is most likely because of the rice ingredient in it. Definitely would not repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/26/2013 4:02:00 AM More reviews by ShimmeryPastels

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

This is not a shine control foundation at all. The shade I chose was perfect for my skinetone so I thought this would work out. I noticed the foundation was thick but I guess its for a matte finish. But after a minute of applying, it looked so greasy on me. It started disappearing so I added loose powder and it still didn't help. Also this doesn't come with a pump like most drugstore foundations. And it's so hard to come out because of how thick it is.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/14/2013 10:13:00 PM More reviews by beautyqueenstylebaby

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

First all, it's really dewy and takes like 45-60 minutes for it to settle without setting powder on my skin. I didn't find any grains of glass or rice powder - yet - but it actually is really difficult to get onto my hand, and I'm scared of what would happen when i'm close to running out. The coverage is actually really good though, so possibly, I would repurchase this product.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/25/2013 9:45:00 AM More reviews by gracieb0912

I'm on day 2 of wearing this foundation. I washed my face as usual. Applied my loreal youth code moisterizer. Let it set then applied my neutragena rice complex primer. Once that was in good I applied my concealer and eye brightner pen. Then the foundation with my beauty blender. I don't like that it's not in a pump or squeeze bottle. That's my only dislike so far. I applied it at 3ish got home a little after 8. Like a loser I was asleep before 9. I fell asleep without washing it off. I woke up with minimal oil. Which is weird bc I'm total grease ball. It applied well. I didn't have any drying as others have mentioned. I used it again today. I was in a rush and didn't apply it the way I wanted to. I forgot to add my makeup forever HD finishing powder to finish it off. Although I do have the neutragena oil free translucent powder that I plan to use throughout the day if needed. So far so good. I'll review again in a few days to let y'all know if I would repurchase or not.