November 27, 2014 | 1542 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Mega Plush Waterproof

rated 4 of 5 on 1/20/2014 12:30:00 AM More reviews by lk1119

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have a love hate relationship with this mascara. When I first bought this mascara I felt like it didn't do anything for my lashes. However, a co-worker of mines asked what I used on my eyelashes to make them look so long. I just so happen to be wearing this mascara. As the mascara got a little older and the formula became a bit thicker. I started to like it more. I realize this mascara lengthens my lashes, but gives it no volume whatsoever. So if you're looking for a mascara that will give you volume, I won't recommend this. I learned recently the trick with mascara's are to pair them up with other mascara's instead of sticking to just one. This mascara is my holy grail mascara when I pair it with Cover Girl's Lash Blast. I use Maybelline's The Mega Plush mascara first to lengthen my lashes and then Cover Girl's Lash Blast on top, to give my lashes volume. It works perfectly for me!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/19/2014 12:14:00 PM More reviews by jaaanet2

Now I hate this mascara with a passion. I have never had a bad mascara experience with Mayballine so it broke my heart a little that this mascara sucked! I've tried the colossal, the one by one, and the rocket and they have never failed me, but this one is just terrible! First off the brush looks disgusting, when I first pulled it out of the tube, I could already tell this would clump my eyelashes, it just looked clumpy and smelled a bit. And when applying it it seems as if the product stayed more on the brush then my eyelashes! I saw noooooo volume what so ever, like NONE! if anything it made my eyelashes look thinner and gross. It didn't lengthen nor separate them. This mascara is just terrible. I only used a couple of time and tied working with it, but nope. I can't get myself to throw it away though, its a shame.

DON'T BUY THIS! go for one of the ones I listed above, now those work magic.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/4/2014 3:34:00 PM More reviews by Chloeelliex

This mascara flaked alot, but gave my eyelashes a full look, although the brush was very bendy x

rated 3 of 5 on 12/22/2013 11:52:00 AM More reviews by Verrine

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The brush was awful for me. It is bendy, which makes it difficult to use with any precision. Plus the shape of it being so wide in the middle means that it gets mascara all over my eyelids when I'm doing my lower lashes. The mascara itself was ok.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2013 12:57:00 AM More reviews by maldiveslover

I have already been gifted with super long eyelashes and prefer the natural look. Even though I have dark brown eyes I buy this in Brown/Black because I think Black one is too intense for me. This is definitely my favorite mascara.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/4/2013 1:04:00 AM More reviews by ozbeautyxx

I bought this mascara little over a month ago and have been using it ever since, the Mega Plush mascara can only be described as average. The first time I applied it, I loved the smooth, gel-like formula of the mascara, and thought it went on great. After around 3 hours, I noticed it looked like I had no mascara on at all, despite applying quite a lot to my medium-length lashes, so I applied some more. After getting home from school and looking in the mirror, I realized the mascara had disappeared from eyelashes and made its way onto to my top eyelids and underneath the bottom lashes. When applied with A LOT of primer, the mascara stays on okay, but I often find it makes my eyelashes droop. It is quite difficult to get off when using a cleanser, but it comes off with a bit of warm water and soap. Overall, an ok product from Maybelline but I can't see it being one of their classic products, like the Great Lash. It's great to use with other mascaras, I often use it as a base for my lash extension fibres. Keeping in mind it's cheap price, the Volum' Express Mega Plush Mascara is just an alright mascara.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/29/2013 4:10:00 PM More reviews by musiqphile

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using this for a little over a month and it's not a bad product but not terrific either. The bendy brush is a novel idea but I don't think the delivery is as good as the promise. The bristles are few and wide apart and there's a joint right before the brush that causes the brush to bend back when pressure is applied--it's to duplicate applying mascara with a light hand which means you can't load it on even if you wanted to. These features in combination with the very lightweight mascara formula make for an extremely spindly lash look for me, especially with multiple coats. I have long enough lashes but they're not thick so I wouldn't recommend this version of Falsies for those with the same. You end up with delicately long, obviously made-up spider lashes which is okay if that's what you want, but it's not the look I'm going for most of the time.

On the other hand, all is not lost! If I use this mascara as a basecoat, the firmer bristles of the second mascara comb through my lashes wonderfully while depositing enough product to give me long AND thick fringe. I've tried this with Benefit's They're Real, Clinique High Impact, Jordana Mascara (basic formula in the black & silver tube), and L'Oreal Bare Naturale plus others and find the best results come from the silicone- or plastic-bristled brushes. The harder bristles are able to pull the product through each hair as they go, leaving behind separated, voluminous and lengthy lashes. All the mascaras above weighed my eyelashes down and took the curl out if applied alone but because Falsies is such a light formula it does a fantastic job of holding a curl, which makes it a fab basecoat mascara that also helps to elongate. It also helps if you use a curler beforehand and comb through with a spare spoolie or lash brush if needed.

So if you have a tube of Falsies already and it doesn't wow you, try using it with another mascara that also doesn't do much for you. If you haven't purchased it yet and want to use it on its own, here are some things to consider:

Pros:
-very lightweight formula
-lengthens pretty well
-doesn't flake
-doesn't make your lashes crunchy
-lasts 6+hrs on my extremely oily lids
-doesn't clump/smooth formula
-holds a curl like no other
-pretty good pigmentation but my lashes are black anyway

Cons:
-sticks lashes together a bit--it's the damn wimpy bristles and brush. maybe more accurate to say it doesn't separate well
-adds no volume whatsoever
-brush is huge and wouldn't work for most peoples' lower lashes
-not a multiple coat mascara

rated 3 of 5 on 9/26/2013 3:27:00 AM More reviews by booboo9002

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

I like Maybelline's Volume Express waterproof mascarasfor one reason: they maintain my curl. I did have to let this one 'dry' out for a few days after opening but once that was done, this formula did what I expected.

However this brush is a disaster for me. It's longer then the Rocket or Lash Blast brush which makes it awkward getting around my smaller eyes. The weird bendy part of the wand that looked so helpful on the package doesn't seem to do anything but make the wand a bit limp like a noodle. And last but certainly not least, the crazy plastic spikes/bristles are super long in the middle (the brush bristles have a convex curve to them) and they poke me in the eye and all over my waterline making my eyeball red and teary while leaving my corner lash roots bare of product. Unless I do some angling and pulling, this brush is not good for me.

I gave this 3 lippies because the formula is great and if Maybelline pulled all their other Volume Express off the market, I would probably buy another tube of this to use on days when I could take 20 minutes per eye to very carefully apply. That isn't currently the case so I won't repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2013 2:22:00 AM More reviews by lizzea

Wow. I thought I'd already found my HG mascara, but I was wrong. This is it. This is the one for me. This is the one that delivers what it promises and doesn't disappoint. It gives my short, stumpy lashes some kick-ass length and dreaminess that I've always imagined they could have... to me, I get very long lashes with added volume depending on how many coats applied, and the mascara stays all day with minimal fade below and above the lashes (top and bottom). Transferring and smudging and generally getting panda faced is pretty common for me as I have oily, hooded lids, but I really didn't get much transfer from this and it stayed true to being waterproof (I cried tears of happiness a few times today haha).

I would try it if it's on sale (which it was when I bought mine) and if you hate it, then no big deal, move on, but if you love it, then you'll be like me and in mascara lashy heaven :)

rated 4 of 5 on 9/15/2013 5:29:00 PM More reviews by summerblossom6

This is a great mascara! It truly lives up to its claims and really is waterproof! It truly does give your eyelashes good volume and length without making them hard, flaky, or crumbly. When I felt my lashes, they felt much softer than when I put on other mascaras but you could still obviously feel the mascara on there. What I really like about this product though is that it's truly waterproof. I have gone to the beach and pool many many times with this and it almost never fails. Although you will probably see a little bit of it under your eyes after swimming at the beach all day (that's only expected), it really does hold up to its waterproof claims. I also love how I get such natural looking volume + length without an clumps or globbiness or crumbliness. It almost looks like you are not wearing any mascara! In fact numerous people have asked me how I get my eyelashes so long, and I just laugh and say Mascara! This product look so natural and holds up all day long! As it is a gel based formula, it may feel a little thinner than other mascaras but it still works perfectly fine. What I didn't quite understand about this product though was the "flexi-brush" idea. It honestly has made no difference, and I just don't get why they made a flexi brush. It's really the same as any other firm, non flexi brush mascara. Overall though, I love this product and I would absolutely recommend this!