October 1, 2014 | 1188 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Colorsilk

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/24/2014 9:23:00 AM More reviews by kyl77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I've been coloring my hair with Revlon Colorsilk for years with excellent results. I used #72 Strawberry Blonde for years (sadly it's been discontinued). For a while I messed around with bleach and other dyes, and basically ruined my hair. I had to completely grow out the color. Then I timidly reached for the Colorsilk again. I tried the #42 Medium Auburn which turned out great. It made my naturally light brown hair a beautiful medium red. Recently, I mixed half #71 Golden Blonde with half #42 Medium Auburn to recreate the discontinued Strawberry Blonde as closely as I could. (FYI: It came out a pretty light sandy red). If you want reds that look natural, use Revlon Colorsilk. I've never been left with color too orange or purple looking. As for the condition of my hair, it feels great. I color once a month, and I haven't had any problems with damage. Keep in mind I regularly use protein shampoos and conditioners.

Normally I buy my color at Kroger's, which sells it for $2.99 a box. However, I've seen it as high as $4.99 a box at some drugstores. Regardless, it's still the most affordable haircolor on the market. Sure the gloves are cheap, but they work. The only thing Revlon Colorsilk won't do is take a dark haired person super light. You'll end up orange every time, but that's true of most boxed haircolor. You need bleach to seriously lighten dark hair. And if you go too dark, you're stuck with it until it grows out or until you see a hairdresser for some expensive color correction. Remember: It's always best to stay within 2 or 3 shades of your natural haircolor.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2014 12:56:00 AM More reviews by acatcalledbellatrix

I bought one of these Revlon hair dyes after a mishap with a Garnier hair colour. I wanted a dark brown with red undertones and Garnier's 'Darkest Burning Brown' ended up a very deep red shade. Now I would've been fine with this but red hair is frowned upon in my workplace so I fixed it with the Revlon ColorSilk dye in 'Dark Brown'.

Normally 'Dark Brown' would be a colour I would steer clear of as it just looks like a flat dark brown. Usually I like them to have red or golden undertones but as my hair was already red, I didn't really need the undertones.

My hair ended up exactly the shade I wanted and three weeks later the colour is still as dark and as rich as it was the day my boyfriend dyed it for me.

There was plenty of colour to cover my hair and the gloves fit perfectly on his massive hands, so they're probably no good for women doing their own hair but in my case they were perfect. And I think I paid something like $6.99 for it which is amazing value.

I'll definitely try to find a shade in this line that will keep up the red undertones as well as the darkness of the brown that I've currently got.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2014 1:28:00 AM More reviews by bellamoma

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

FINALLY something that compares to loreal's Natural Match (RIP). I used medium brown. The baggy gloves suck but who cares? The color is excellent and covers my stubborn greys better than loreal preference, excellence, sublime mousse (horrific stuff, btw), garnier's olia and clairol's natural instincts. After rinsing out the color it was an eensy bit too dark, but after 2 washes (about 4 days apart each) the color has settled into a perfect medium brown that looks lovely. It has only now started to fade off my resistant grey, and it's been 2 weeks. (All others were fading out after the first wash!). The medium brown leans very cool on me, which I wanted. For 5 bucks, it's worth a try if you've been searching for something to replace your beloved Natural Match, like I was!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/26/2014 1:40:00 AM More reviews by Esther66

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This product does not cover grey hairs at all! Used the ColorSilk Luminista in Honey Blonde and turned my hair orange. Not sure why this product has positive reviews. If you need to cover grey, buy something else.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2014 2:33:00 PM More reviews by megxoxo91

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

So much D/S hair color out there when you only need one and that is Colorsilk. I use the #27 Deep Rich Brown and have over and over again. My hair is naturally medium brown with very rusty, brassy red tones that I don't care for and this shade darkens it a lot but leaves just enough reddish-brown highlights that it isn't one tone, especially as it fades a bit where at first it's very dark. I've tried every brand, every variety and nothing gives me this color. People compliment the color often which also never happened with other dyes. It also doesn't turn my hair to straw and it conditions it to perfection. And it's three dollars! Forever HG.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2014 4:50:00 AM More reviews by MadameButterfly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've used all brands of hair color, from professional color (all pro brands) to drugstore box color, and I've also been to salons, both high and low, to have my hair colored. I find Revlon Colorsilk superior to all brands I've tried, and superior to salons I've gone to for single process color. I've had some very disastrous and expensive experiences at salons. I'm not sure how salons can ruin your hair by doing simple single process color, but they do. I've had my hair turned purple-mahogany-red (when I asked for chocolate brown) and had my hair turned into straw, when I asked to cover up the brass in my hair with a darker brown. I've embraced DIY hair color not only to save money, but also to have control over my own hair and to reduce damage. My hair is too long (lower back length) to risk destroying it at a salon.

I use Revlon Colorsilk "Medium Brown" to make my hair a rich chocolate brown color with subtle highlights. The results are consistent and the formula is easy to work with and doesn't smell as much as most brands. Best of all, my hair feels softer, smoother and healthier after I use Colorsilk. It also makes my hair shinier and bouncier. The color unfortunately does not last very long for me. It starts to wash out after a few shampoos, and doesn't last more than 6 weeks at most, even if I shampoo only 2-3x/week. I have this issue with all hair color though, not just Colorsilk. The price cannot be beat, especially for me, since color fades so fast for me and my hair is very long and thick. I need 3 boxes for full coverage, and at $3-6 per box, the price is as cheap as anything gets. continued >>

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2014 1:39:00 PM More reviews by Liutiti

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was reading reviews forever! I have got this fine muddy hair and lots of it, I was proper white blonde child and then got darker with age, so would say dark blonde, curly dry hair, fair skin. I always went to salons for the highlights as nothing else would lift that warm tinge I have got deep inside my genes. So I bought in Savers (UK) dark ash blonde (60) and ultra light natural blonde (04) as they were the only blonde shades available there. Thought, will decide later :) at home I made 3 mixtures to try one, another and both together, and after the swat I thought mmm no much difference but no like that yellow in the ultralight natural blond so mixed up 3/5 of ultra blond/dark ash and really like it!! It still has this warm tinge, but it kept my highlights, evened out the colour and looks like top notch salon jobie. £120 saved!!! I have got a feeling I am inclining towards dark ash blonde and probably get medium ash blonde from amazon next, but condition of my hair after treatment is superb (I couldn't even put rollers in, they were slipping out, so silky my hair was) and so easy and no hairdressers salon and talking about nothing for 3 hours!!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/3/2014 6:13:00 PM More reviews by Kabaz417

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have been dying my hair for 6 years. When I want a light blonde (my hair is naturally dirty blonde) I go to Clairol Nice 'n Easy in the shade 98, which I HIGHLY reccomend to anyone who wants the color on this box.

At a friends house I colored my hair, my friends hair, and her little sisters hair. Unfortunately, she bought Revlon Color Silk Medium Blonde Hair Color - #74. We waited extra time and her medium brown hair still wouldn't lighten up correctly. It went orange. Like a brownish-ginger color (I will include a picture). She was not happy. This is cheap, very cheap. Plus, the conditioner they give you is a one-use amount. Unlike Nice 'n Easy which gives you an entire tube.

0 stars

rated 4 of 5 on 2/3/2014 12:30:00 PM More reviews by Backmasking

USE THE CONDITIONER THAT COMES WITH THIS + SOME OF YOUR OWN! DO NOT JUST WASH THE DYE OUT.

There was a special going on for 2 boxes for 5 US dollars.

I had extremely long, thick, dark brown hair and I used 03 Ultra Light Sun Blonde. I (obviously) did not expect for it to turn my hair light blonde with how dark it was, and it didn't. But it left me with a beautiful dark strawberry blonde which really compliments my warm undertones. I used 2 boxes, left the dye on for about an hour, washed it out, then used the 2 conditioners it came with AND my every day conditioner (make sure yours is color-safe) left it in about 30 minutes, then applied CHI Keratin mist and Silk Infusion. When I was washing out the dye, I was panicking a little because my hair felt so so dry. But after the conditioner and treatments, my hair feels exactly the same.

I will update this when it starts fading.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/2/2014 7:16:00 PM More reviews by isflawless

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

To give you a brief summary of my hair condition - it's medium-length below my shoulders, natural med/dark warm brown. Last time I colored it was 4 months ago, professionally, to match my natural color (previously was highlighted layers of blonde). The bottom quarter/half of my hair length was lightening a lot, therefore I was seeking to find a hair color similar to what I have and to not break my budget at a salon. My scalp and hair is naturally dry however I do care for it a lot - use high end, healthy hair products and keep blow-drying and ironing to a minimum.

It has been almost 6 years since I last used a box dye (L'Oreal, Clairol Nice N Easy, Garnier). I remember avoiding this brand mainly for two reasons - the price and appearance of packaging. I was highly mislead to think that the low price and not so flashy appearance of it must have meant it was cheap. Boy, was I wrong!! The reason I became intrigued by this brand recently was because I was previously told by 2 professionals that this was the only trusted brand (known to be gentle, ammonia-free, UV protection, full color coverage), as well as the numerous ratings and reviews I've read on MUA and other various sites.

Overall, I am EXTREMELY pleased with the results and felt the need to add positive feedback to hopefully encourage others to TRY IT. I can honestly say I found my HG with box hair color, and so glad I have rather than breaking the bank over $90 every couple months when my results with this is comparable to my salon experiences in the past 6 years. I have been using Revlon make-up products for the past couple years, always extremely pleased with the coverage, quality, and non-comedogenic factors. I am SO pleased to find yet another Revlon product that I LOVE.

The only thing I cannot vouch for is making drastic color change due to fact I stayed within one to two levels of my current level (which is the common suggestion if you plan to color yourself from a box), however I am fully satisfied with the turn-out and will continue to use this.

MY EXPERIENCE & WHAT TO EXPECT:

Pros
- Very inexpensive - The highest price I saw this listed at was $6 (regular price - not sale)
- Ammonia-free
- EXTREMELY Minimal chemical smell - the LEAST offensive smelling box dye BYFAR
- Did not itch/burn/irritate sensitive skin AT ALL - during or after!!
- Full color coverage
- Leaves hair soft, shiny and comparable to professional job
- Color is true to its box label

Cons
- Gloves are cheap, flimsy, baggy-style (I will invest in some elsewhere)
- Solution was a bit runny - stood over sink entire time, dripped a lot and absorbed quickly therefore had to work fast to spread throughout hair
- Color appeared a BIT darker than expected depending on lighting you stand in, however definitely shines brown/gold/red tones in the light
- Conditioner comes in a pouch rather than a tube, and only enough for one-time use (color-care products should be used regularly to maintain anyway)

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No