December 20, 2014 | 1693 users online

Moisturizers - Avene - Skin Recovery Cream (US name: Cream For Intolerant Skin)

rated 2 of 5 on 2/2/2014 7:09:00 AM More reviews by misszb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I had two little samples of this which my dermatologist gave me after I told her I've had some dry patches on my cheeks. I just didn't like it as it's too greasy for my combination skin which is ok since it is a moisturizer for more drier skin, so I started putting it on only onto my dry patches and it would just sit on my skin, which explains the fact that it contains mineral oil.
I don't think mineral oil is good for any skintype so I don't recomment it even if you have dry skin, because you just don't need a moisturizer that will sit on top of your face! And even besides that, it won't make your dry patches any better.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/5/2014 1:09:00 PM More reviews by nlutes

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I purchased this on the recommendation of a SA to deal with my irritated, dry skin. I have reacted poorly to a few products and have been experiencing dryer-than-usual skin.

I've been using this product now for about a week and it has made a world of difference. It doesn't irritate at all, has moisturized and calmed my skin dramatically. It has even helped with an eczema scaly patch (flare up from stress) on my face. So far so good.

Time will tell if it continues to be a great product, but at this point I am definitely happy with my purchase. Of course, it isn't a product that contains the active ingredients one may want in a moisturizer, but it does its job of calming down skin. In a couple of weeks I plan to switch to another more "active" cream, but will definitely keep this around.

Update: I will always keep a tube of this around - I don't use it daily as I prefer something with more active ingredients, but any time I overdo it or my skin has a reaction, is irritated, dehydrated or overly dry, it's my go-to and truly works wonders. It hydrates, calms, soothes, and repairs skin in just a few days.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/12/2013 11:22:00 AM More reviews by DCCD

If you have oily skin, beware of this product as it contains mineral oil. This ingredient is a petrochemical, a derivative of crude oil. It has large molecules which are unable to penetrate the surface of the skin, therefore it acts a non-absorbent oily film, said to 'lock in moisture'. But is this such a great thing? Initially, the skin will feel smooth, as you might expect. However, this layer of mineral oil smothers your skin like cling film, preventing it from breathing naturally. Which in turn enables sweat and bacteria to become trapped beneath the layer of oil. This can exacerbate acne, eczema and psoriasis problems and potentially create a false dependency in the long term.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/5/2013 6:08:00 PM More reviews by MissLulu1

An ok cream and one of only a few that doesn't break out my sensitive combination skin, it calms skin down but is not the most hydrating cream but moisturises, it doesn't irritate. I have found that my skin doesn't need much moisturiser just a little at night but not on my T zone and morning time I have started using just an SPF 30. I do slightly prefer Elemis Marine cream although this is a little pricey I buy this when on offer.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/17/2013 4:52:00 PM More reviews by Bellajean2007

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I purchased this after I chemically burned my face. I had used the fade peel the night before with no irritation and then used tea tree oil the next morning on certain spots-BAD mistake. Horrible chemical burns on parts of my face. I had suffered something similar two years ago and it took me over a year to recover. Well I read reviews for this on here and got my husband to get me some the same day. I would have to say it was a life saver. Healed everything within three days and took away all the redness and soreness. I still have some hyper-pigmentation but I know 15% Glycolic acid gel will take care of that within a month. At least now I know what to do in a situation like this, unlike two years before.

I also used this on my daughter after a bad sun burn and she woke up the next day with a perfect complexion.

Moral of the story: please do not use any thing harsh on your skin after a peel, even a mild one and if you do, use this to heal. I did find it caused small pimples on the exact same spots I used it because of the mineral oil. I know they say that it isn't bad for the skin, but it does seem to affect mine.

Update:
I still use this as a spot treatment on my face if I have an irritation. It is so soothing and the only thing that seems to actually work as advertised!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/29/2013 12:07:00 AM More reviews by greenmountaingirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The original Cream for Intolerant Skin was my absolute HG... it was very moisturizing, yet lightweight, soothing, and never broke me out. It made my skin so soft and glowy. Sadly, they reformulated it and now it feels like a completely different cream... and not in a good way:-( The new Skin Recovery Cream feels strangely waxy, makes my skin super shiny after a couple hours, and clogs my pores badly. It's also not very moisturizing (it forms a barrier over my skin, but when I wash it off in the evening, my skin still feels very dry underneath). I suggest getting yourself a small sample before buying this based on the great reviews, since many of those are for the (wonderful) original version.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2013 4:02:00 PM More reviews by dusice

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have to say, I love Avene and have their loyalty card at London Drugs! This is a nice cream, not too fragranced, but it doesn't absorb into my skin as well as the Soothing Moisture Mask; this made my skin a bit oily. I'll still use it though, because, despite the oil, I haven't had any clogged pores or break-outs. Might repurchase, but would always, always purchase from Avene.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2013 2:18:00 AM More reviews by afoletta

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have dry, sensitive skin and rosacea. This moisturizer helps reduce my dryness and redness, and doesn't irritate my skin. It has no smell, not super heavy on my skin, and works fine under makeup. They reformulated it earlier this year, but I didn't notice much of a difference except the price increased. It has mineral oil in it, which some say is bad for you. I'm kind of a skin care junkie so I'm always looking out for the next best thing. I'll continue to repurchase (until I find something as good w/o mineral oil, I guess). I've tried the Rich version too, but I like this better.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/6/2013 5:24:00 AM More reviews by kittycattt

This cream is expensive for the size. and it contains mineral oil as as petroluam.. like whyyy! it clog my pores badly. i want to like even abit but NO. it didnt sink in skin its like as if i have a layer of product on my skin, especially hot weather.. i sweat and it like my skin cant breathe... would not repurchase.. and i only use less than 10 times. its so sad :(

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/27/2013 12:40:00 PM More reviews by susiej

I'm really not happy with this one. Every day that I have worn it my skin looks a bit ... irritated and out of sorts. It has done very little to moisturise my skin and in the days following its use my skin has actually been tighter and dryer than usual. Something in it just must not agree with me.