November 21, 2014 | 1814 users online

Moisturizers - Avene - Skin Recovery Cream (US name: Cream For Intolerant Skin)

rated 4 of 5 on 1/5/2014 1:09:00 PM More reviews by nlutes

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I purchased this on the recommendation of a SA to deal with my irritated, dry skin. I have reacted poorly to a few products and have been experiencing dryer-than-usual skin.

I've been using this product now for about a week and it has made a world of difference. It doesn't irritate at all, has moisturized and calmed my skin dramatically. It has even helped with an eczema scaly patch (flare up from stress) on my face. So far so good.

Time will tell if it continues to be a great product, but at this point I am definitely happy with my purchase. Of course, it isn't a product that contains the active ingredients one may want in a moisturizer, but it does its job of calming down skin. In a couple of weeks I plan to switch to another more "active" cream, but will definitely keep this around.

Update: I will always keep a tube of this around - I don't use it daily as I prefer something with more active ingredients, but any time I overdo it or my skin has a reaction, is irritated, dehydrated or overly dry, it's my go-to and truly works wonders. It hydrates, calms, soothes, and repairs skin in just a few days.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/12/2013 11:22:00 AM More reviews by DCCD

If you have oily skin, beware of this product as it contains mineral oil. This ingredient is a petrochemical, a derivative of crude oil. It has large molecules which are unable to penetrate the surface of the skin, therefore it acts a non-absorbent oily film, said to 'lock in moisture'. But is this such a great thing? Initially, the skin will feel smooth, as you might expect. However, this layer of mineral oil smothers your skin like cling film, preventing it from breathing naturally. Which in turn enables sweat and bacteria to become trapped beneath the layer of oil. This can exacerbate acne, eczema and psoriasis problems and potentially create a false dependency in the long term.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/5/2013 6:08:00 PM More reviews by MissLulu1

An ok cream and one of only a few that doesn't break out my sensitive combination skin, it calms skin down but is not the most hydrating cream but moisturises, it doesn't irritate. I have found that my skin doesn't need much moisturiser just a little at night but not on my T zone and morning time I have started using just an SPF 30. I do slightly prefer Elemis Marine cream although this is a little pricey I buy this when on offer.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/17/2013 4:52:00 PM More reviews by Bellajean2007

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I purchased this after I chemically burned my face. I had used the fade peel the night before with no irritation and then used tea tree oil the next morning on certain spots-BAD mistake. Horrible chemical burns on parts of my face. I had suffered something similar two years ago and it took me over a year to recover. Well I read reviews for this on here and got my husband to get me some the same day. I would have to say it was a life saver. Healed everything within three days and took away all the redness and soreness. I still have some hyper-pigmentation but I know 15% Glycolic acid gel will take care of that within a month. At least now I know what to do in a situation like this, unlike two years before.

I also used this on my daughter after a bad sun burn and she woke up the next day with a perfect complexion.

Moral of the story: please do not use any thing harsh on your skin after a peel, even a mild one and if you do, use this to heal. I did find it caused small pimples on the exact same spots I used it because of the mineral oil. I know they say that it isn't bad for the skin, but it does seem to affect mine.

Update:
I still use this as a spot treatment on my face if I have an irritation. It is so soothing and the only thing that seems to actually work as advertised!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/29/2013 12:07:00 AM More reviews by greenmountaingirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The original Cream for Intolerant Skin was my absolute HG... it was very moisturizing, yet lightweight, soothing, and never broke me out. It made my skin so soft and glowy. Sadly, they reformulated it and now it feels like a completely different cream... and not in a good way:-( The new Skin Recovery Cream feels strangely waxy, makes my skin super shiny after a couple hours, and clogs my pores badly. It's also not very moisturizing (it forms a barrier over my skin, but when I wash it off in the evening, my skin still feels very dry underneath). I suggest getting yourself a small sample before buying this based on the great reviews, since many of those are for the (wonderful) original version.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2013 4:02:00 PM More reviews by dusice

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have to say, I love Avene and have their loyalty card at London Drugs! This is a nice cream, not too fragranced, but it doesn't absorb into my skin as well as the Soothing Moisture Mask; this made my skin a bit oily. I'll still use it though, because, despite the oil, I haven't had any clogged pores or break-outs. Might repurchase, but would always, always purchase from Avene.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2013 2:18:00 AM More reviews by afoletta

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have dry, sensitive skin and rosacea. This moisturizer helps reduce my dryness and redness, and doesn't irritate my skin. It has no smell, not super heavy on my skin, and works fine under makeup. They reformulated it earlier this year, but I didn't notice much of a difference except the price increased. It has mineral oil in it, which some say is bad for you. I'm kind of a skin care junkie so I'm always looking out for the next best thing. I'll continue to repurchase (until I find something as good w/o mineral oil, I guess). I've tried the Rich version too, but I like this better.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/6/2013 5:24:00 AM More reviews by kittycattt

This cream is expensive for the size. and it contains mineral oil as as petroluam.. like whyyy! it clog my pores badly. i want to like even abit but NO. it didnt sink in skin its like as if i have a layer of product on my skin, especially hot weather.. i sweat and it like my skin cant breathe... would not repurchase.. and i only use less than 10 times. its so sad :(

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/27/2013 12:40:00 PM More reviews by susiej

I'm really not happy with this one. Every day that I have worn it my skin looks a bit ... irritated and out of sorts. It has done very little to moisturise my skin and in the days following its use my skin has actually been tighter and dryer than usual. Something in it just must not agree with me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2013 6:11:00 AM More reviews by lollsazz

I have normal/dry, slightly sensitive skin. I'm going to compare 2 different creams in my review. One of them yo can only get in some Nordic countries - I apologize for that, as this review may not be relevant for many people.
I first bought Avene Recovery Cream for my mom, for her rosacea skin, as it is very sensitive. She used it for about 3 weeks but then stopped. I asked her why, over the phone, as don't live at home, and she said it was because it seemed to not be compatible with her skin. I think she mentioned something about breaking out, but I couldn't see it for myself. Later I found out that people with rosacea often can't tolerate things with oil in them, so I decided to try this out myself. First I used it for about a week and didn't like it, as my skin was getting a little blotchy compared to when I use my regular moisturizer, Cliniderm for Sensitive Skin Rich, which is supposed to minimize redness/irritation over time.
After using my Cliniderm for about 8 more months, my skin was far from as sensitive. That is because Cliniderm's cream is supposed to help sensitive skin build a barrier, and eventually, become less sensitive. It took me about 2.5 years of use to go from VERY sensitive skin to just slightly sensitive. Cliniderms cream costs quite a lot, so I decided to give Avene another chance (buy another tube, that is - the expiration date is only 6 months after opening). My skin tolerates this just fine now, although I can't say that Avene's cream feels soothing, like other people say - to me it just isn't irritating at all. Cliniderm actually IS soothing for me, and was even when my skin was very sensitive.

I personally don't have any problems with neither mineral oil nor silicones - my skin tolerates both very well, but I don't quite like how this cream feels on the face: it doesn't sink in well, even with my dry skin, and I use about a 5-6 mm ball of this for my entire face. My Cliniderm sinks in completely and very fast, leaving me with very moisturized, but quite matte skin, while Avene's cream does moisturize, but my face is left a little shiny and my makeup always looks very dewy over, and sometimes doesn't set as fast as I would like.
I DO like this cream - it has been my go-to moisturizer in the morning for about 8 months now. It takes a long time for me to use this up as I only need a very small amount and my makeup looks pretty good over this.
Why I only gave this a 4: my skin didn't tolerate this very well when it was very sensitive, (but it does now, when it's only slightly sensitive), because it doesn't actually soothe my skin, because it seems like this doesn't sink in properly and because it doesn't build up the skin's resistance. Would recommend people with sensitive skin testing this out? Yes.